Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I want to see Noel ready to sign with the Mavericks then wait for the emoji tweetstorm only no one tweets, no one calls, no one cares, and Dallas pulls its offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Sixers are a mess right now off the court and in the front office (imho). I have no idea anymore.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

aBagorn posted:

Word on the street is the Bulls might be dragging their heels?

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/831542472505434115

Bulls are only aggressive in trades when they need to avoid the cap or dump a scapegoat. This dumb team will end up keeping Taj to chase an 8th seed in the East.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Isn't Noel an RFA? So they wouldn't be able to trade him unless they match an offer sheet and wait until like December right?

Isn't it an entire year of trade veto for RFAs that sign with their original team?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm confused when the hive mind flipped on Ross. Back when he first got that contract it looked like a horrendous overpay, especially in the context at the time where he played horribly for the first two months of the 2015 season. But with the new cap it was salvaged.

Ross is kinda like this era's Jeff Green. Everyone looks at what he can do on his good nights and prays that he gets some consistency, and I'm not sure he ever will. He's the king of low IQ plays. On a good night he's a great three point shooter with crazy hops and dunks and picks off good steals. On a bad night he plays horrible D and chucks bad shots relentlessly. Overall it averages out to being a serviceable player but I'm comfortable and optimistic about Norm taking his role.

As for the trade itself, I like it. I'm skeptical about Toronto being able to keep both Lowry and Ibaka, but it fixes the gaping hole in our PF rotation with a good player who can space the floor which is essential when getting a PF to play with Derozan. We had two first round picks and we've already got some quality rookie contract people that can't quite fit in the rotation so I'm OK taking a pass on one this year.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Not a fan of Ibaka, but pretty good trade I guess. Definitely gonna miss contested 360 dunks from Ross though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

leftist heap posted:

Isn't it an entire year of trade veto for RFAs that sign with their original team?

Only if the team matches another team's offer sheet. Then the player has a no trade clause (waivable ) for one year

Source : NBA cba FAQ #100

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Has there ever been a year that Wilson Chandler wasn't on the trading block

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Has there ever been a year that Wilson Chandler wasn't on the trading block

No, not that I can think of. He's one of those dudes who's good enough to ride your bench or be a fringe starter for a bad team, never the missing piece to a championship run

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
It's funny about Ross. Everyone sees him as this super athletic dunker, but he rarely gets to the rim and has a lower dunk rate than Gordon Hayward and Mindaugas Kuzminskas.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

dokmo posted:

It's funny about Ross. Everyone sees him as this super athletic dunker, but he rarely gets to the rim and has a lower dunk rate than Gordon Hayward and Mindaugas Kuzminskas.

But when he gets there it is way more exciting than either of those guys.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Jota posted:

When Iverson was on the Sixers he had no one else on the team that could create any offense. The next best option was like Aaron McKie. I guess he also had for one year each: young rear end Andre Iguodala, old rear end Tony Kukoc, mediocre rear end Matt Harpring, old rear end Chris Webber. It was a team of nothing but hustle guys that played good defense and rebounded and could maybe hit a 16 foot jumper. The entire offense was Iverson because the rest of the team was trash on offense and it's incredible they ever even made a finals. Like Eric Snow was considered a key piece of this team for a while.

Also please remember that for just about Allen Iverson's entire time in Philadelphia his General Manager was Billy King.

I'm not really blaming Iverson, Billy King is probably the culprit for creating terrible teams around him. It was still brutal to watch, outside of two or three holy poo poo moved a game by AI

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

As for the rumor of Denzel Valentine being in a potential Okafor trade, he was at the DePaul game yesterday sitting front row next to Gar Forman. Seems odd to do that with someone you are about to trade.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

As for the rumor of Denzel Valentine being in a potential Okafor trade, he was at the DePaul game yesterday sitting front row next to Gar Forman. Seems odd to do that with someone you are about to trade.

can't wait for the 2030 Bulls with Team President Kirk Hinrich, and GM Denzel Valentine.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Iverson was a one man offense - a one man bad offense, mind you, on a team that won because of its defense. Mutombo had more offensive win shares in the playoffs than Iverson. Iverson is awesome and what he did on those teams was ridiculous, he had more on his shoulders than perhaps any other player on a good team, ever. But the result was a mediocre offense that was carried by a defense where Iverson was the worst guy on the team.

Dejan Bimble posted:

So in the end Orlando traded Sabonis Jr, Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova to get Terrence Ross and a late first round pick.
That's a loss but it doesn't look horrible. They're going nowhere.

Yeah the actual Serge trade looks fine, because he doesn't belong on a lovely young team with a frontcourt logjam anyway, but when you remember what they traded for him it just throws into sharp relief how stupid an acquisition he was to begin with (even if I don't think Oladipo is very good or Sabonis is particularly likely to be). My favorite sports teams are all cursed with terrible ownership

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

Please don't insult Kuz.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mutombo was better at offense than Allen iverson

Just look at the win shares

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Toronto does not have to resign Ibaka. I actually see it as dumping Ross for more salary cap space.
As far as Orlando, admitting your mistakes is the first step to a better tomorrow. The most important thing is Gordon goes back to playing the 4.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Niwrad posted:

This is GarPax we're talking about, so I think it would fit.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Shirt has the wrong image

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

The point he was making deserved trying to use an advanced stat that poorly.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Shirt has the wrong image

hahaha i was there for that game

halloween a couple years back, right?

it was pretty creepy. i used to live next door to the Avs mascot (bernie the dog i think?) and he assists Rocky for Nugs home games. he said Rocky was fine.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVruBvjNl0

EVERYBODY GET ON YOUR FEET

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Retro dunk contests all day this is awesome
drat this Terence Stansbury guy can dunk :eyepop:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Just got back from Bill Simmons Interdimensional Vortex and it turns out IT/Eric Snow/McKee/Ratliff/Mutumbo is not a fun line up to watch.

But just like I expected, IT in place of Damon Stoudamire results in a Blazers 3 peat and the famous catchphrase "Ball always tells the truth"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was Tyrone hill at pf not Ratliff.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
People that think AI is bad, do you honestly believe his Finals Sixers team would do better if you replaced him with someone like Steve Nash or Isaiah Thomas?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

People that think AI is bad, do you honestly believe his Finals Sixers team would do better if you replaced him with someone like Steve Nash or Isaiah Thomas?

Who thinks he was bad?

euphronius posted:

That's not what I said you know it, but the 76ers offense that year was about as efficient as the Orlando Magic this year. Iverson was a one man offense of a team that everyone makes fun of constantly.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

Probably not, but I don't think the Celtics would be better with that version of AI and I don't think Nash's Suns would be better with him either, so I'm not sure why that matters. I think the argument was the offense was necessarily inefficient.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are totally discounting his free throws and disruption caused by penetration and also transition offense.

They changed the rules in 2002 which made him less effective but he was still very good until age 32 which is astounding .

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Literally the one comment on that video:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

It was Tyrone hill at pf not Ratliff.

Ratliff, who was a 27 year old All Star, All NBA defense, and the league's leading shot blocker, was actually traded for the 34 year old Mutombo.

:banjo:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc they knew he was injured and could not guard shaq.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
AI ruled. He was interesting because he took on a role that very, very few players could do, and allowed the 76ers to be good with a very unorthodox team composition. NBA isn't the NFL, good defensive teams that have trouble scoring usually are not very successful. AI was like a 1 man answer to that.

If you're not excited by his 3 on 3 player-coach comeback I don't know what to tell you.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

If you don't like AI you don't like basketball :colbert:

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Lockback posted:

AI ruled. He was interesting because he took on a role that very, very few players could do, and allowed the 76ers to be good with a very unorthodox team composition. NBA isn't the NFL, good defensive teams that have trouble scoring usually are not very successful. AI was like a 1 man answer to that.

If you're not excited by his 3 on 3 player-coach comeback I don't know what to tell you.

I see what you did there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Plus he gave us the greatest moment in NBA finals history that is worth posting again

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

4th greatest actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

AggressivelyStupid posted:

4th greatest actually

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread