Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alchenar posted:

I've played this game loads on and off and I was recently caught out by the fact that granite auto-doors are no faster than regular granite doors.

Not true, they are 4x faster. Just not fast enough to gain the benefit of an autodoor, which is to open before your pawn gets there so they're not slowed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Granite doors are great for burning out a room without the fire spreading into the hallway.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Millennial Sexlord posted:

If I am in an environment that hits -40 F at night and rarely rises above 11 F during daytime, would putting coolers in my walls in reverse end up being a more power efficient way to heat my interior? From what I understand, they remove heat from the blue side and expel it out the red side. Would the cold temp outside end up doing nothing for me? Trying to keep my place heated with heaters is incredibly power hungry.

So I have been playing with this mod for a while, the internet has told me these things about heating and they seem to be working.

Always make your heated room walls out of aluminum, as it will give you the highest hp walls your can get with out a lucky uranium strike, and apparently how well walls insulate has to do with their hp value.

Your walls from outside to inside should be double wall, air gap, single wall. I have found no information on the effects of heating and/or pressurizing the air gap.

Always minimize the number of blocks in your heated rooms that touch the outside.

Air lock heated rooms from unheated rooms even if both sides are pressurized.

The RTG seems to generate a good amount of heat so set it up indoors.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I just recently started playing this game and I dont understand why my pawns are not eating their meals at the table that I built for them. It is a long table with wooden dining chairs at it. Anyone know what I may have done wrong?

edit: My refrigerator is just off-screen to the top of that image.

Is that battery under a roof?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Coolguye posted:

be aware of a handful of other things that are non-obvious:

doors are slow; like, opening one door every 10 squares slows the overall walk down by an order of magnitude. doors are required for a ton of cases (like partitioning off rooms) but don't be afraid to tell interior doors to simply remain open. in this case, the interior door into the dining room can and should be held open to keep people from wasting tons of time as they're walking through the area.

if the food preparation room is dirty, the chances for food poisoning go up quite a lot. a butchering table is loving filthy due to the nature of the work involved, so you shouldn't have your butchering table and your stove in the same room.

also, when preparing meals, your cook will only ever take materials for one meal. so walking through 3 doors or whatever will mean his effective meal preparation speed is single digit of what it could be if he was right next to the freezer and separated by only a wooden autodoor (which doesn't slow people down).

you can use vents to share air between those bedrooms to keep them all comfortable. check temperature -> vent. the coolers you have there are good enough for at least 2 of those bedrooms so you can save components that way.

you needn't do anything you don't want to do, of course, but those are things that i notice immediately after looking at your setup there and the game won't tell you about these notes easily.
Ahh so that is what vents are for. Thank you. All of this feedback is great. I was not sure why so many people were getting so much food poisoning.

cugel posted:

Is that battery under a roof?
Yep.

A couple of my people have "Fibrous Mechanites" and I have removed all of their Work Priorities except Bed Rest and they still wont rest, they just wander around idling.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dejawesp posted:

Granite doors are great for burning out a room without the fire spreading into the hallway.

yeah, blast doors basically

i'm strongly considering having my next compound incorporate double-thick walls on all outer facings. i tried some new layouts with my usual modular build this time around; learned a ton, but generally found that there is a lot of value in it. the largest problem is the initial spin up time; stone blocks are obnoxiously labor intensive.

random smattering of other stuff i've learned this most recent game:

- if you have a good amount of normal soil, just grow strawberries. normal meals are wasted effort. just grow berries and have people eat those for their sustenance meals, saves so much headache.
- 15x15 modular buildings work very well. plenty of interior space for freezers and dining halls/rec rooms, makes for 6x6 bedrooms in apartment blocks of 4, which is easy to make impressive but does not give the spacious interior buff that often. warehouse blocks also work great at this size because you can put a trade beacon in the center and it covers everything except the four extreme corners of the warehouse.
- in extreme addiction cases, it is beneficial to set up a full on loving retreat for the sufferer. i had one guy who had Depressive, and came in with dual Smokeleaf and Psychite addictions. needless to say his withdrawals were a huge problem. double-thick outer walls would have allowed me to unroof his neighboring apartment, knock out a wall to give him a suite with indoor/outdoor setups, and allowed me to just leave him a season's worth of food and just wall the fucker in.
- i figured out some new defensive fortifications that work well and allow the colony to rebuff most attacks without exposing the colonists to harm. makes defense against sappers and such much easier, while actually making it simpler to get stuff from the map proper.
- skilled labor is really loving hard to come by, and it is absolutely god drat critical for providing the edge you need. all the correct choices in textiles, gear, and weapons are pointless if you are turning out shoddy equipment. 10+ crafting on all 3 initial people is looking really attractive right now. i need to figure out a better way to train Crafting too. right now i'm thinking about having a crafting spot turn out wooden clubs or some poo poo. cutting stone works fine initially but so much of the task is moving the rock chunk that it doesn't work to get people actually trained on something. anyone with even a single flame in crafting should be encouraged like crazy - making all the excellent+ weapons and devilstrand gear you need takes months if only one person is doing it.
- all bills can be modified to tell the user to "PUT ON GROUND" instead of hauling it to the stockpile and this should basically always be on unless there's a very compelling reason (meal prep is the only one i can think of offhand)
- dogs will eat berries, which basically means berries will feed them same as kibble (nutritionally they're the same value, unit per unit). this basically makes hauling dogs worth keeping around all by itself if you are rocking lots of strawberry patches.
- never equip people with ranged weapons for walking around. literally 100% of the pinch threats i've had have come from things like animal attacks, which you never get an alert for until the engagement happens. churn out steel or, preferably, plasteel longswords and never look back. ranged weapons are important but should be kept in equipment stockpiles near action zones. you will never have a bad situation come up and suddenly wish you had a gun. you will quite frequently have a bad situation come up and wish you had a sword.
- never not buy a neurotrainer. i didn't realize exactly how much XP one gave you - it's loving 50,000. this is enough to take someone from 0 to 9 in one hit, or from 10 to 15. there's literally no situation where this isn't worth the price.

e: Zhentar if you have any ideas on what's efficient to train crafting i'd be appreciative. my current two ideas are wooden clubs and cloth tribalwear, which i think can both be done at a crafting spot. i dunno how good a return on investment that gives though.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 14, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A couple of my people have "Fibrous Mechanites" and I have removed all of their Work Priorities except Bed Rest and they still wont rest, they just wander around idling.
that's a different kind of syndrome. it actually cannot get worse, it just hangs around and makes everyone annoyed and miserable until it is treated 5 times, then it goes away. the treatment quality does not matter and you cannot treat it any more often than the timer allows you. so you just have to deal with it for a bit until it gets better.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Doesn't double insulating something only make the game think it's the temperature of the outside? The actual best insulation method is a one-wide hallway around the room also heated/cooled to that temperature.

Double thick walls transfer half the heat that a single tile wall would with the outdoor temperature. So if the other side of the double thick wall is outdoors, it works exactly how you would expect, and it is better insulation than wall-gap-wall. Double thick walls with both sides inside your base are generally not a great idea; if you really need insulation then a wall-space-wall arrangement is better (without any heating/cooling of the "moat").

Coolguye posted:

yeah i struggle to think of a reason why stone autodoors should ever be used.

Stone autodoors are the fastest door that pawns will close behind themselves; all other autodoors hold themselves open for 60 ticks after a pawn walks through, increasing temperature exchange and potentially allowing hostiles to enter.

Coolguye posted:

e: Zhentar if you have any ideas on what's efficient to train crafting i'd be appreciative. my current two ideas are wooden clubs and cloth tribalwear, which i think can both be done at a crafting spot. i dunno how good a return on investment that gives though.

That depends on what your criteria are. Wooden clubs are objectively wrong, though.

First thing to note, crafting XP is based on the time spent crafting. No XP for finishing, and faster working pawns will get less XP for the same materials. You ideally want your training pawn working in unsuitable temperatures, outdoors, while wearing a parka (outdoors being the least important of the three). Getting stoned before training will help too.

If you want to train with wood, then your best choices are the greatbow (360 work per wood, needs machining bench) or the shortbow (300 work per wood, crafting spot). For comparison, wooden clubs are 8.75 work per wood.

If you want to train with steel, then your best choices are components (360 work per steel, needs component bench), or the gladius (200 work per steel, machining bench). Your best crafting spot option, the shiv, is 40 work per steel.

If you want to train with leather or fabric, then the best choice is the duster (275 work per leather/cloth, needs tailoring bench). Tribalwear is about 91 work per leather/cloth.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zhentar posted:

potentially allowing hostiles to enter.

Never seen this happen. They always politely wait outside the open door unless it's blocked/held open.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Remember that electric tailoring benches work at 40% speed if unpowered, so if you have a pawn making a duster at an unpowered outdoor tailoring bench they'll be earning xp there for ages.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coolguye posted:

that's a different kind of syndrome. it actually cannot get worse, it just hangs around and makes everyone annoyed and miserable until it is treated 5 times, then it goes away. the treatment quality does not matter and you cannot treat it any more often than the timer allows you. so you just have to deal with it for a bit until it gets better.

Yeah, just set their priorities to "anything" and let them do their thing. The mechanites make them need to sleep more often so it's not really worth trying to micromanage their schedule until they are cured, and anything will make sure they don't collapse in the fields due to exhaustion

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still having problems with the dead-people's clothes problem. I have a thing set to burn all apparel with "allow non-dead person's apparel" or what ever on, and it seems to be working to burn it all up. But when assigning outfits there isn't an option there so people still grab dead people poo poo to wear before I can burn it. The whole thing's a stupid mechanic badly integrated into the interface. There needs to be just a single "don't' loving wear dead people clothes" toggle that defaults to on on all outfits.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zhentar posted:

If you want to train with leather or fabric, then the best choice is the duster (275 work per leather/cloth, needs tailoring bench). Tribalwear is about 91 work per leather/cloth.

so this is awesome and raises an interesting question. i think i know the answer to it due to your comments about global work speed but i want to check. is it strictly ideal to keep training zones away from toolboxes and other things that increase work speed due to this semantic? so for tailoring benches, you would want cloth dusters, but the hand tailoring bench works at 40% of the speed of its electric partner. would you, in that case, get more experience from a duster because you are working for a longer period?

cotton is easy to raise and hand tailoring benches are nice in that they only require wood to set up - having people work on one endless cloth duster would seem to be the way to go because you could turn that 275 work per cloth into closer to 600 by just using crappy tools.

e:

Mzbundifund posted:

Remember that electric tailoring benches work at 40% speed if unpowered, so if you have a pawn making a duster at an unpowered outdoor tailoring bench they'll be earning xp there for ages.

haha that's where my head went too but fortunately you don't even need to screw around with that. there's a hand tailoring bench that will let you save the components.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 14, 2017

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Is there a way to add more factions to a game in progress? I installed the more vanilla factions mod but it doesn't seem to work on an active game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Salean posted:

Is there a way to add more factions to a game in progress? I installed the more vanilla factions mod but it doesn't seem to work on an active game

I believe there is a faction discovery mod that will pop them into your game when you load it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

More factions really improves the game. In vanilla it's way to easy to make friends with everyone, and one minor gently caress up and suddenly half your trade is at war with you.

It's also a delight when you get sieged by two rival factions and they end up fighting each other.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i had a mechanoid hive, a pirate raid, and an infestation all kick off in the same day

the hive and the pirates got hosed up by my murder fortifications and i reinstalled a ton of turrets near the infestation to lure the bugs into a big kill zone. i stomped them out and had one of my brawlers cleaning up the hives.

then an outlander faction showed up with 3 dudes as reinforcements, with the best weapon being an SMG

i almost murdered them too for being so goddamn insulting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've found by far the biggest threat being manhunter packs. They don't retreat, often are faster than your people, and are just a tide that washes over everyone who couldn't get inside in time. They also seem to stay in a pack and their simple AI is effective.

Humans are easy because they try to be smart and end up splitting up or getting confused, changing targets, and retreat after some losses.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Humans are easy because they try to be smart and end up splitting up or getting confused, changing targets, and retreat after some losses.

This led to a funny raider death in my current game, we're just a bunch of tribals and 3 raiders appeared. One decided to run all around my base to attack a wall, right where ~12 traders were hanging out at. Also this is with the c'thulhu mod so the traders were wearing bowler hats and wielding canes, the image of 12 gentlemen going to town on a single guy with canes amuses me.

Also this game is weird when it comes to things breaking down, the game demands components to fix the item even if the item didn't have components in it in the first place. Why do I need components to fix my fuel stove? Why do I need components to fix my grinding wheel

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

manhunter packs are simple because they get distracted by crap that hits them first. again, the insidious hallway turret will hold basically an entire manhunter herd in place down range while the dudes with sniper rifles get target practice in.

last time i had a herd of rhinos come in i didn't even draft anyone.

infestations are my big problem right now honestly. burning them out does not work after a certain point on Rough or above because the radius they hit is so large that they dig their way out of enclosures pretty aggressively. if you can't burn them i'm still struggling for a way to control them. turrets don't work that well because bugs have a lot of health and do so much sharp damage. getting into melee with colonists is suicide.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Baronjutter posted:

I'm still having problems with the dead-people's clothes problem. I have a thing set to burn all apparel with "allow non-dead person's apparel" or what ever on, and it seems to be working to burn it all up. But when assigning outfits there isn't an option there so people still grab dead people poo poo to wear before I can burn it. The whole thing's a stupid mechanic badly integrated into the interface. There needs to be just a single "don't' loving wear dead people clothes" toggle that defaults to on on all outfits.

You can just disable the clothing for whichever slot you're not able to supply fresh clothes for if you don't want pawns to wear it.

Coolguye posted:

so this is awesome and raises an interesting question. i think i know the answer to it due to your comments about global work speed but i want to check. is it strictly ideal to keep training zones away from toolboxes and other things that increase work speed due to this semantic? so for tailoring benches, you would want cloth dusters, but the hand tailoring bench works at 40% of the speed of its electric partner. would you, in that case, get more experience from a duster because you are working for a longer period?

Yup.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Coolguye posted:

manhunter packs are simple because they get distracted by crap that hits them first. again, the insidious hallway turret will hold basically an entire manhunter herd in place down range while the dudes with sniper rifles get target practice in.

last time i had a herd of rhinos come in i didn't even draft anyone.

infestations are my big problem right now honestly. burning them out does not work after a certain point on Rough or above because the radius they hit is so large that they dig their way out of enclosures pretty aggressively. if you can't burn them i'm still struggling for a way to control them. turrets don't work that well because bugs have a lot of health and do so much sharp damage. getting into melee with colonists is suicide.

Wide open spaces. Tightly packed soldiers and then luring them into concentrated fire. Use the guns to shot down walls to open up into infested rooms.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Zhentar posted:

First thing to note, crafting XP is based on the time spent crafting. No XP for finishing, and faster working pawns will get less XP for the same materials. You ideally want your training pawn working in unsuitable temperatures, outdoors, while wearing a parka (outdoors being the least important of the three). Getting stoned before training will help too.

If you want to train with wood, then your best choices are the greatbow (360 work per wood, needs machining bench) or the shortbow (300 work per wood, crafting spot). For comparison, wooden clubs are 8.75 work per wood.

If you want to train with steel, then your best choices are components (360 work per steel, needs component bench), or the gladius (200 work per steel, machining bench). Your best crafting spot option, the shiv, is 40 work per steel.

That's hilarious. I've made a little joke mod: training mittens, gains more XP by crafting with those on...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8t5g1DrFJltVng1djlSVm1XdUk

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

okay so that is crafting training sorted then. its not hard to set up a clutch of hand tailoring benches near the cotton fields and tell people to go work on dumb crap over there.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

cugel posted:

That's hilarious. I've made a little joke mod: training mittens, gains more XP by crafting with those on...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8t5g1DrFJltVng1djlSVm1XdUk

The new Rimworld sweatshop: a bunch of guys outside in tropical heat, wearing parkas and mittens, desperately trying to stitch human leather dusters by hand while stoned out of their minds.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gadzuko posted:

The new Rimworld sweatshop: a bunch of guys outside in tropical heat, wearing parkas and mittens, desperately trying to stitch human leather dusters by hand while stoned out of their minds.

24 hours later Dejawesp is forcing his surgeons to wear gloves full of bullet ants while assembly-line-attaching peg legs to screaming torsos.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I would pay money if someone made a mod that let you make furniture out the remains of people. Tzimisce style.

All the furniture, doors, walls, floors.... Turrets.

I'd be all "You have failed me task master of crops. You will become the door to the farmers barracks as a reminder to your replacement that service never ends. That even the incompetent have uses here"

You could collect the corpses of enemies and then use them to build the structure part of the killzone. Then as you claimed more victims it would gradually turn from stone to flesh/bones.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 14, 2017

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is there some reason attacking raiders and tribes move at what seems to be at least 25% faster than normal pawns? The raider melee attackers are hauling rear end so fast sometimes it seems to be difficult to even begin to engage.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Omnicarus posted:

Is there some reason attacking raiders and tribes move at what seems to be at least 25% faster than normal pawns? The raider melee attackers are hauling rear end so fast sometimes it seems to be difficult to even begin to engage.

Check their health tab if they are influenced by drugs. Some raiders will take combat drugs at the start of an attack.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dejawesp posted:

I would pay money if someone made a mod that let you make furniture out the remains of people. Tzimisce style.

All the furniture, doors, walls, floors.... Turrets.

I'd be all "You have failed me task master of crops. You will become the door to the farmers barracks as a reminder to your replacement that service never ends. That even the incompetent have uses here"

You could collect the corpses of enemies and then use them to build the structure part of the killzone. Then as you claimed more victims it would gradually turn from stone to flesh/bones.

Calm down there, Garth Ennis.

Alternatively play Dorf Fort.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
My mittens gives -25% work speed and -4 cold insulation; looking at the XML they are far too common. It also makes me realize that all my own modded gear (boots and sandals) are weightless, they lack the new mass tag. Modding variants of old stuff is easy for someone like me who has a cargo cult view of modding: new traits or new clothes are easy. Furnitures and animals require to draw PNG, that's a bit more difficult. I wasn't able to make a new wool, that's out of my range.

Still, I killed the Min-Maxer in me ten years ago and I'm happy with the social fights, the pawns who don't haul or clean and the pacifists. I had a nice colony starting with three pacifist For defense they used pet muffalos, running around the first pirate like idiots. The fourth colonist had a hard time keeping the colony safe and it went sour after a while but it was fun nonetheless.

The way crafting XP is gained by time is just a weird quirk of Rimworld. I highly recommend to go look in the XML, there is funny/useless/weird stuff in there.

For example in the Races_Humanlike.xml:

Core posted:

<lifeStageAges>
<li>
<def>HumanlikeBaby</def>
<minAge>0</minAge>
</li>
<li>
<def>HumanlikeToddler</def>
<minAge>1.2</minAge>
</li>
<li>
<def>HumanlikeChild</def>
<minAge>4</minAge>
</li>
<li>
<def>HumanlikeTeenager</def>
<minAge>13</minAge>
</li>
<li>
<def>HumanlikeAdult</def>
<minAge>18</minAge>
</li>
</lifeStageAges>

Did Tynan really wants to make babies pawns a thing?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Will we only have animal babies or will we ever have human breeding too? Or are piles of starving children being ripped apart by yorkies too dark for this game?

\/ See I'd love to have a pleasant town where people are born and grow up and become trained/educated and it's a whole happy village that tells a multi-generational story. But players like you would end up giving the game "bad press" or what ever when people realize the mood bonus from "newborn baby!" cancels out the penalty for harvesting the baby for meat and leather and how if you crunch the numbers having a massive slave pen for breeding baby-leather dusters is the best way to make money, or setting a zone for babies in front of your fort forces raiders to fight through the babies crippling then with "baby killer" mood penalties until they have a breakdown.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 14, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Will we only have animal babies or will we ever have human breeding too? Or are piles of starving children being ripped apart by yorkies too dark for this game?

:kheldragar:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tynan's been asked that a couple of times and i believe his response has always been "the big problem with putting in kids is that the time scale the game works on, children can't add much to a colony, even if they're born almost immediately."

which makes sense, most of my games are pretty wrapped up in 5 years.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tynan has said he has no interest in putting the other other white meat in the game

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, part of *Tynan's Vision* is that you should not be putting down roots or building a town, but trying to escape. Now he wants you to play like a big caravan building a series of camps to get to the escape ship.

I want to build a paradise so nice people wish they could crash land in such a lovely place.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

I came up with a good way to pre-empt most infestation problems.

Since infestations like to spawn a) as far from the surface as they can, b) outside of strong (sunlamp-level) light, c) not in freezing temperatures, and d) not on top of items, if you build a long tunnel like this as the farthest undermountain spot on your map, give them some room to spawn, and make sure the temperature doesn't drop below freezing in there, you can guarantee they'll spawn there every time. I tested this setup 5 times with the Spawn Infestation dev mode command and every time they showed up in there. This is a pretty cold map so I have 3 heaters in there to make sure it stays room temp.

I didn't actually leave quite enough empty space in there, there's a small chance that one of the hives will spawn further down in my base, but as you can see they dropped right in the holes. The linchpin of course is the incendiary IEDs.

Don't forget to lock the doors to keep your guys from going in there to try to sweep the floor or whatever.

There we go.

870C isn't even remotely as hot as it gets in there. The stools burn down, and then drop logs on the floor, and THOSE burn down too, so it's a two-stage fire. This is well past the flash point of just about everything, so even bugs that try to tunnel away from the fire will spontaneously combust and burn to death rather than having to wait to die of heatstroke. The only downside is your heaters will also spontaneously combust, and you're just going to have to let them burn away - trying to get a pawn in there to save them is suicide.

Still, it's super effective, if you can set your map up this way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Could you put the heaters in farther away adjacent rooms and use vents? Or are vents too fragile? I've always found even on cold maps the ambient heat of my base spreading through the tunnels was enough to keep my mines above 0. Like if my base is at 21 enough heat will leak through doors to keep the deep mine tunnels at 5-10 or so.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you remove that from your home area will that prevent pawns from going there for any reason?

Just picked this up Friday night and lost my whole weekend already. Learning a ton about door speeds and other such mechanics already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
The first marijuana fatality my colonies have seen took place today. Here lies Holt, she toked so hard that her central nervous system forgot how to work :420: :rip:

On another note, I don't know if I like double population or not. It's nice to not be hamstrung by a lazybones when you only got 4 guys total, but with so many aggressively bad traits/backgrounds (I love my "sheriff" with one eye and a goddamn peg leg that won't haul or cook or make things or garden or) you gotta roll those dice a lot more. My current colony has 3 people that won't do labor, three two assholes in space meth withdrawal who are all both unique shades of "violent" and "demanding", half the crew loves standing in the rain like cultists and have no talent in arts and/or crafts, and I think I got a dude older than his own dad biologically and that kinda bothers me.