Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'd be interested in seeing some stats on trolling during promos. Or at least a percentage of promos that are won. Reason being this whole season my promo games have been full of feeding and people snapping at the slightest provocation. This season has been the worst but every promo I get a free win but then get matched into two absolutely unwinnable tragedies. We're talking mid lane being 0/8/0 and down three towers in ten minutes bad. I can pick my main champs and do well and still lose horribly. It's very hard to win when you have somebody actively working against your own team. I lose way more promo games than I win.

Ranked is awful right now is what I'm saying. Just a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Protip: the easiest way to lose your promo is to publically declare "hey this is my promo guys, dont you dare troll, dont you fukken dare troll me, this is my promo guys!!"

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

RealFoxy posted:

MF and Lucian were a big problem as the last season ended, they changed Armor Pen into Lethality which affected all ADCs which I believe was probably an oversight because they wanted to change it specifically for assassins and their scaling.

Scarra said that the best way to balance ADCs right now is by making more items, and role-specific so they don't have to balance the same exact items for AD assassins and AD Carries. It's probably the only way to make ADC's balanced without unintentionally making an item or mastery that breaks Jayce or Talon or some random poo poo.

Or Yasuo/Trynd. Don't forget the effect those two have had on crit itemization. I have no idea why there are so few ranged only/melee only items in LoL. It feels like the whole problem with AD assassins, carries, and fighters could be solved if Riot made some stronger ranged only AD items so crit ADCs could have a better mid-game without being deleted by a broken Jayce or Yasou. Seriously, the whole problem with S6 Yasuo was a version of phantom dancer strong enough to be attractive to crit ADCs is completely broken as a first item rush on Yasuo. It's like how the first iteration of Warlord's Bloodlust was supposed to be a hypercarry ADC mastery, but ended up being an early game Yasuo/Trynd mastery. Or how Edge of Night is turning into Mercurial Scimitar 2.0. We need more items like the Hydras or Runaan's.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

People in their promotions tend to get that stage-fright attitude of "OMG MUST WIN" and go on tilt 3x as fast as they would in a normal game, which makes them lose their promo because they end up being a toxic jerk.

My best advice about promotions is DON'T GIVE A poo poo. Treat it like a normal game.

I don't even tell my duo buddy when I'm in promos because if I do then we both end up tryharding and making stupid mistakes we normally wouldn't make- like overchasing or diving when we shouldn't or tunnelling so hard on our lane that we miss mid's 5th missing ping and getting collapsed on.

Here's a story: My last set of promos I accidentally dodged the first game because I was chatting instead of paying attention to bans, so I got an automatic loss. The next game we got one of those unwinnable everyone feeds games and laughed it off. Fell right out of promos, oh well. Win the next one and get back into promos, get the auto-win for having BEEN in promos even though I just lost both games, and won the next one easily to rank up. (At which point I skipped two divisions because Flex is a weird queue and dropped me in bronze when I'm a high gold player and have been stomping my way up.)

Like, my main problem with promos when they were first implemented was that it required an extra win to get into them but since they give you the free win nowadays (in lower ranks) there's really nothing to be upset about. Play more, play with goons, learn things, get better, rank up.

There are games where your team just shits the bed and you can't win. There are games where the ENEMY team completely shits the bed and you destroy them. They balance out. Try to learn from each game. You can't stop the enemy Riven from going 10-0 before 15 minutes if you're in botlane, but you CAN learn something about that Karma-Ezreal combo you're facing and how to get better at avoiding poke or punishing them for getting overaggressive. You CAN learn how to get vision out there that will prevent mega-fed-Riven from flanking your team unawares. You CAN learn to engage fights where she's not there, and win those fights or take those objectives by moving smartly around the map.

There's always something you can learn about a game. Think about the choices you made and decisions you could have made better. Look at your stats, see how many wards you placed or where you died frequently and think about how you can improve those aspects of your own play. You can't fix mr. 0-10 yasuo top, but that doesn't mean the game didn't have value as long as you learned something for yourself, and can take that to the NEXT game going forwards, a little better every time.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think the annie in my last game was in promos for Gold 4. Oops. Then again a lot of the problems came from the maokai who apparently thought he was invincible into a fed 4 threat team (mostly due to him) and did dumb poo poo like blatantly overstay after taking baron. It's generally not a good idea to attempt to push an inhib turret while your team is at half health and the enemy team (which was gangplank, zac, yasuo, jhin, lux) will be up with all ults available by the time you get there. Oh he also built frozen heart into a team that actually isn't that reliant on attack speed and had dead man's into a team with 3 IEs.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 13, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Orianna is hard :(

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

RealFoxy posted:

MF and Lucian were a big problem as the last season ended, they changed Armor Pen into Lethality which affected all ADCs which I believe was probably an oversight because they wanted to change it specifically for assassins and their scaling.

Scarra said that the best way to balance ADCs right now is by making more items, and role-specific so they don't have to balance the same exact items for AD assassins and AD Carries. It's probably the only way to make ADC's balanced without unintentionally making an item or mastery that breaks Jayce or Talon or some random poo poo.

People have been saying that forever idk why riot doesn't want to do it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Orianna is hard :(

If you've ever played a backline mage she is pretty simple.

Neurolimal posted:

Protip: the easiest way to lose your promo is to publically declare "hey this is my promo guys, dont you dare troll, dont you fukken dare troll me, this is my promo guys!!"

I would only say its my promos if you see the game is unwinnable in champ select and hope someone is nice enough to dodge. Dodging in promos is useless so you might as well play and take the loss with a slight chance of winning.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ulio posted:

Dodging in promos is useless so you might as well play and take the loss with a slight chance of winning.

I would only say this if you assign zero value to your own mental and emotional health. Maybe being in a promo weights it in favor of not dodging, but there are definitely cases where you still should and spare yourself having a promo loss and high blood pressure.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Or just don't get mad at video games

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Teikanmi posted:

Or just don't get mad at video games

Yes, that was what I said to do (by not playing said video game)

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This might sound weird but even when I lose a ranked game for a bullshit reason I still have some modicum of fun

Once I had a guy vehemently try to defend ranked as not about having fun

It was impossible to make him understand that he was playing a video game for children

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If I wanted to have fun I'd go to the state fair, in playing league of legends because I want to scream at the computer so loud my dog becomes maladjusted.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's a thread on Reddit about Playtester's experiences with things that never got shipped out into the main game. Here's a few gems:

• Jhin's Q grenade used to have infinite bounces. Testers setup a line of a thousand minions that ran up and down all the lanes/jungle and ended on an annie bot in the enemy base. The result was a line of dominos that ended in the death of an innocent child.
  • A Shaco rework we were testing had an ult that despawned Shaco, turned him into a missile, and then respawned him when that missile hit an enemy. Yasuo was in testing at the time and managed to windwall the Shaco missile, literally deleting Shaco from the game. The entire design team stood up and gave the Yasuo player a standing ovation.
  • Bard used to have a global ult that shot a wave across the entire map silencing all enemies. Ekko used to have an ult that would rewind the game 8 seconds after cast, allowing people to use all their spells again. Bard and Ekko were being tested at the same time. Every fight involved one team getting global silenced. Twice. A tester came up to me after one of those games and told me that if I shipped that Ekko ult he would dodge every game the champion was in, regardless of which team he was on.
  • Vi used to have an ult where she would choose how she wanted to murder you after getting to you. One of those options was bugged and caused her to suppress her target for 3 seconds. Was funny how mad that made Repertoire when I hit him with it :3 "Suppression oppression depression."
  • Quinn's passive used to have Valor fly down and suppress anyone who brought her below 30% health for some obscene amount of time. Was funny watching that happen to a Karthus when he'd try to ult her across the map.
  • My favorite was a version of Katarina where her E was a free targeted dash that would make her untargetable and then appear at the chosen location after a 0.75 s delay.
    The thing was... this was her main damaging ability.... and an execute.... and could reset. So theoretically you could kill their entire team while being untargetable.
  • DFT initially would reapply itself. So if you took it and hit them once they would slowly burn to death unless they got back to their fountain... but they couldn't recall cause of DFT.

And our :riot: award of the week:
  • Yorick's ultimate would randomly kill one connection to the server every time it killed a minion or attacked a champion or something like that early into development. Yorick Roulette was real.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thank god, gently caress SIlencer.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
An old Urgot update had a Jayce-gate like ability that multiplied ally missiles that passed through. We shot a Miss Fortune ultimate through it. It didn't end well.

this would actually own

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

mistaya posted:

There's always something you can learn about a game. Think about the choices you made and decisions you could have made better. Look at your stats, see how many wards you placed or where you died frequently and think about how you can improve those aspects of your own play. You can't fix mr. 0-10 yasuo top, but that doesn't mean the game didn't have value as long as you learned something for yourself, and can take that to the NEXT game going forwards, a little better every time.

I played a game as Nami where I ended like 5/3/37. Probably one of the best support games I've ever played. When I die and I'm standing before the pearly gates and Saint Peter lists off the good things I've done, what I did for my ADC in that game will be somewhere in the middle. That game was a defeat though, and I lost more LP than what I earn when I win.

It's those types of games that bum me the gently caress out and leave me feeling like winning/losing is more RNG than anything.

Then again, I'm too dumb to remember to upgrade my trinket like every game so there's that too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The Practice Tools are up now for NA and EU but only if you're using the new client

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Tanked my placements, ended up in P3. I need to reevaluate my champion pool and delete all my runepages, I keep jumping around because I had one bad game on a champ, need to pound out some normies and master a champ again.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hi guys, you should try graves with lethality. ok

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Thirsty? Here's a tip: Try drinking water.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Illaoi was Gangplank's first love.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
ty for agreeing that graves is now GOOD

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Sexpansion posted:

Mount Shurima is super remote and only accessible to the most determined of seekers. Or something

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Nocturne, Shaco and Fiddlesticks are all friends lorewise.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Nocturne is the Junpei of the trio

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some stats on trolling during promos. Or at least a percentage of promos that are won. Reason being this whole season my promo games have been full of feeding and people snapping at the slightest provocation. This season has been the worst but every promo I get a free win but then get matched into two absolutely unwinnable tragedies. We're talking mid lane being 0/8/0 and down three towers in ten minutes bad. I can pick my main champs and do well and still lose horribly. It's very hard to win when you have somebody actively working against your own team. I lose way more promo games than I win.

Ranked is awful right now is what I'm saying. Just a mess.

ive been playing this game recently after many years of not playing and i suck pretty badly and am probably in the absolute bottom level of matchmaking

but without fail every game i play had someone disconnect, someone so terrible they continuously all-in 1v5 and die, or someone who sells all their items for 8 dorans shields

every. single. game.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Sexpansion posted:

Did you know: Last hitting a minion gives gold

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Did you know: Nautilus's /joke makes him swim through the air. Hes weird like that.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Draven can catch an opposing Draven's axes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Some anime-rear end poo poo about ice.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Orv posted:

Some anime-rear end poo poo about ice.

Some middling freljords always trying to rice farm uphill

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

In the old lore (not sure if it has been retconned) Ashe is cheating on Tryndamere with Pantheon. Every night, guards of Queen Ashe's castle would see a shadowy figure climb through her window with a shield and spear on his back.

This was pre-Anthony Burch, too.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Nazzadan posted:

Did you know: Nautilus's /joke makes him swim through the air. Hes weird like that.

This poo poo right here is how I know you don't play Naut

Or read the loading tips much

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's actually a pretty great animation when he does it

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Zaun is a land of unchecked scientific progress.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Did you know: Players who cheat on their fiancé with underage fans and subordinates win 17% more?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Leona's shield is something something mount targon something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Darth Windu posted:

Did you know: Players who cheat on their fiancé with underage fans and subordinates win 17% more?

Did you know: My fiance's bed is a sensual play land?

• Locked thread