Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Has anyone actually been banned or heard of someone being banned, whether temporarily or otherwise, for bad behavior?

I know hackers have been banned, but I keep having to report people for awful blatant racism etc, and I'm starting to wonder if Blizz ever actually handles "abusive chat" reports or if it's a pointless venture.

I report people for abusive chat all the time but I do it knowing that Blizzard probably won't end up doing anything. Maybe a slap on the wrist at most, but most likely not. They'll ban someone for playing attack Torb too much before they ban players for calling other players human being niggers.

Did a CTF the other day where a Mei on the other team I guess used their ice wall incorrectly once early on in the match. This ENRAGED one dude who, after we won, proceeded to yell loving oval office MEI, I'M loving SICK OF oval office MEIS, gently caress YOU oval office KILL YOURSELF oval office etc. Shouting about reporting the Mei, and the Mei player was like "???". Not once did the dude think that the insane poo poo he was screaming in chat was worth reporting. I ended up reporting him for that, but I guarantee that the Mei player has a better chance of getting in trouble than the dude losing his goddamned mind in chat

edit: It's nice when everyone can get along though:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think there's a goon who has been chatbanned a handful of times for (and lol right here) totally doing nothing wrong beyond offering constructive criticism of his team's performance and hero choices.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

I feel like blizz *must* take reports on abusive chat somewhat seriously based on how rare it feels to run into people who do it compared to how people and gamers tend to be in general but maybe the pool of players in this game is large enough that the awful gets diluted

I still report abusive chat whenever I see it though because more reports probably help those people get chat banned, right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Blizzard definitely bans the poo poo out of people in HotS for chat (or at least, they did, I haven't followed that game much lately), and I think there were some examples of people whining about being banned in OW for chat as well.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I wish I could have gotten the attack Widowmaker who was whining at me prematch to change off Sombra because he was "actually really good at Widow and besides you've only played two hours of Sombra you can't know how to pay her right" mic banned.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I miss the days when nobody cared what people said in chat and the worst that would happen is some dummy would ban you from their crappy private server.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Smeed posted:

I miss the days when nobody cared what people said in chat and the worst that would happen is some dummy would ban you from their crappy private server.

I like the illusion that everyone I'm playing a game with isn't an awful child and we're all mostly chill people enjoying a colorful shooty game together

Trash talking is poo poo I want nothing to do with and it's nice to be able to play games now and not worry about it being common

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah but... you can just ignore it and *poof* the problem is gone!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

phthalocyanine posted:

I like the illusion that everyone I'm playing a game with isn't an awful child and we're all mostly chill people enjoying a colorful shooty game together

Trash talking is poo poo I want nothing to do with and it's nice to be able to play games now and not worry about it being common

Yeah, this. It's wonderful.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Smeed posted:

And you can still spew all the garbage you want and buy new accounts every time you get chat banned I guess? Or play games where there's no chat bans and no reports but honestly I'm pretty sure most people prefer not being told "kill yourself human being" for no reason, maybe im crazy

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Smeed posted:

That's the problem blizz are trying to solve because "ignoring it" to normal people means stop playing the videogame where they get called names.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

phthalocyanine posted:

And you can still spew all the garbage you want and buy new accounts every time you get chat banned I guess? Or play games where there's no chat bans and no reports but honestly I'm pretty sure most people prefer not being told "kill yourself human being" for no reason, maybe im crazy

Personally I don't say much of anything other than "gg" and thanking people for healing me.

I don't get why people take stuff said on an internet game so personally, I find the dummies funny if anything. If you know they're some dumb kid then why even get butthurt about it? It makes no sense.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Most of what I say revolves around making dumb "hanjo" names for other characters, roadhog pig jokes, or begging my team to look behind them for once if nobody's in voice chat.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

That's the problem blizz are trying to solve because "ignoring it" to normal people means stop playing the videogame where they get called names.

If you're giving up a video game you enjoy because someone somewhere called you a fag then LOL you've got some self confidence problems or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ZqQqaoR2s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Smeed posted:

If you're giving up a video game you enjoy because someone somewhere called you a fag then LOL you've got some self confidence problems or something.

While personally I double down on the behavior that got someone to start whining, I don't really blame anyone else for deciding they'd rather do anything else.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

If it's harassment or repetitive, I understand.

If you have a kid, I understand.

If someone throws a game or makes it really lovely with immature behavior, I understand.

But one off insults and trash talking? I really don't get how you could be offended by that unless you're used to playing games in silence with strangers all the time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dyz posted:

If someone throws a game or makes it really lovely with immature behavior, I understand.

But one off insults and trash talking? I really don't get how you could be offended by that unless you're used to playing games in silence with strangers all the time.

I didn't think we were talking about one off insults and trash talking...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I reported someone yesterday for grunts in voice chat that sure sounded like he was masturbating while playing. So if you're arguing where to draw the line, there's one side of it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I didn't think we were talking about one off insults and trash talking...

What is calling people names then?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Has anyone actually been banned or heard of someone being banned, whether temporarily or otherwise, for bad behavior?

I know hackers have been banned, but I keep having to report people for awful blatant racism etc, and I'm starting to wonder if Blizz ever actually handles "abusive chat" reports or if it's a pointless venture.

Duck and Cover's been chat-banned a bunch of time.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I am 100% fine with Blizzard banning abusive assholes. That is a thing that I am extremely comfortable with and in fact improves my opinion of them as a company. Sorry if you're annoyed you can't scream obsceneties at people. :)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dyz posted:

What is calling people names then?

Someone was asking if people get banned for "awful blatant racism" and other abusive chat and that's what I was referring to.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Dyz posted:

Cuz if the company that published the game lets people get away with it you've got a larger community of people doing it regularly and it doesn't feel like one off insults, and makes the game in general more miserable to play

It's not like there aren't a hundred different games someone could be playing out there, and if one game that's pretty fun is going to have that fun reduced by its community being awful, they'll lose a lot of players and that's not in their best interest

And yeah I really enjoy overwatch but if I could count on someone being nasty every other game, it'd be a lot less enjoyable, even tho the game itself is still fun to play. That'd just take 1 in 22 people to ruin. So it's good that they take that stuff somewhat seriously, to me

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I'm gay, and while I'm not going to quit the game because someone said fag, I play video games to get away from that kind of poo poo. Not to have some rear end in a top hat on my team go into a full homophobic racist Trump-praising (yes, he did actually bring up Trump) tirade because I said 'hey it's 2017 can we not say gay as an insult mayhaps'.

Consider that maybe it's a lovely thing to hear when you're just trying to shoot some guys in the face to blow off steam, especially in this political climate, and that yeah, I can just block him and move on but it'd be nice to know there are actual punishments in place for this kind of poo poo because I don't feel like it should be happening to begin with?

It's awesome if you're completely 100% unbothered by negativity all the time but not everyone is emotionally deadened to that poo poo and, well, it kind of gets old.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
people aren't making one off insults or trashtalkings

if they do it once i bet you they are almost certainly doing it on a regular basis and are horrible toxic players

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sitting here at work, a little bored while I go through my tickets, thinking to myself - What if orb of discord made Rein's shield take 30% more damage? Would that be a good gameplay change or a bad one? How would that change things up?

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

khy posted:

Sitting here at work, a little bored while I go through my tickets, thinking to myself - What if orb of discord made Rein's shield take 30% more damage? Would that be a good gameplay change or a bad one? How would that change things up?

This would legitimately be really funny. It'd be a challenge, too, because you can't discord him while the shield is up, so you have to try and find an opportunity for it.

Imagine all the newbie Zenyattas charging in helplessly to try and get behind Reinhardt and discord him because their teams are screaming at them to get him discorded, then getting murdered :allears:

30% might be too much, but I feel like 15% or something would be good. Just enough to give you an edge.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dyz posted:

I mean, there's going GGEZ lol u suck and then there's GGEZ CUNTS *insert whatever racist and/or sexist terms you want to here*

Although on the other hand, I've never joined a game where each team has people talking poo poo to each other and had the game be any fun. The people talking poo poo are just spending half the game doing that instead of playing and it always drags the game down. I wish there was an option to straight up disable chat completely. It's great they give us the option to never hear voice chat, which is an option I will literally never turn on ever, but being able to turn off chat, like how I can just turn off any kind of chat in WoW would be nice.

edit: And I mean, I'm a white dude so it's not like I'm getting insults even thrown at me beyond someone going "lol ur bad" if you don't play optimally, but I'd still rather not see people throw around racist/sexist insults

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
jastiger has complained multiple times for being chatbanned, proclaiming innocence while ignoring the fact that half this thread has voluntarily chatbanned him themselves.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's pretty sad that we're so used to lovely gamer etiquette that it's "weird" now to think being an obnoxious poo poo talking rear end in a top hat shouldn't end in some sort of discipline. Maybe I'm getting old but past trash talk among friends it's all pointless garbage. Games should be fun. Literal safe places where anyone can enjoy themselves without being harassed in even small ways. If people are getting mad enough while playing video games that they feel the need to lash out they should get therapy or learn to meditate.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

This would legitimately be really funny. It'd be a challenge, too, because you can't discord him while the shield is up, so you have to try and find an opportunity for it.

Imagine all the newbie Zenyattas charging in helplessly to try and get behind Reinhardt and discord him because their teams are screaming at them to get him discorded, then getting murdered :allears:

30% might be too much, but I feel like 15% or something would be good. Just enough to give you an edge.

I would be okay with this change but only if it applied across the board to all shields/barriers. also zarya gets increased charge as a result.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The Walrus posted:

I would be okay with this change but only if it applied across the board to all shields/barriers. also zarya gets increased charge as a result.

For that to work, her barriers would have to stop clearing discord from herself/her targets. Would that be a buff or a nerf? Also, the amount of damage is the same, the only change is in how rapidly the damage comes in. So would extra charge make sense given that fact?

khy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 14, 2017

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who would have thought that SA could become a place where people can't handle a random stranger typing insults on the internet.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

khy posted:

For that to work, her barriers would have to stop clearing discord from herself/her targets. Would that be a buff or a nerf? Also, the amount of damage is the same, the only change is in how rapidly the damage comes in. So would extra charge make sense given that fact?

that assumes constant damage over the entire duration of the shield's timing. burst would give charge to a greater degree. for example say mcree gets one shot off at the zarya in the last half second of charge, he does greater damage to the shield but it's irrelevant to the shields duration because its hp is still only at 200 of 300 or whatever it is. keep in mind most zarya shields are expiring due to time elapsing, not damage inflicted. yes you would have to change barrier clearing discord. I dunno if it would be overall a nerf or a buff to zarya but I would guess nerf, slightly, as being able to clear discord is a good tool. the nerf would come mostly by the fact the couldn't bubble *others* to remove discord.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 14, 2017

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Has the New Year's event ended yet, or will it be around until the reset later this evening?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was the same for the Christmas event iirc.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I mean, there's going GGEZ lol u suck and then there's GGEZ CUNTS *insert whatever racist and/or sexist terms you want to here*

Although on the other hand, I've never joined a game where each team has people talking poo poo to each other and had the game be any fun. The people talking poo poo are just spending half the game doing that instead of playing and it always drags the game down. I wish there was an option to straight up disable chat completely. It's great they give us the option to never hear voice chat, which is an option I will literally never turn on ever, but being able to turn off chat, like how I can just turn off any kind of chat in WoW would be nice.

edit: And I mean, I'm a white dude so it's not like I'm getting insults even thrown at me beyond someone going "lol ur bad" if you don't play optimally, but I'd still rather not see people throw around racist/sexist insults

You can actually, when in game hit p (by default) and it brings up the communications window. The little chat bubbles next to Match and Team are the text chats, so you can disable all non-team chat or just all chat entirely, and it persists until you close the game I believe.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Smeed posted:

Who would have thought that SA could become a place where people can't handle a random stranger typing insults on the internet.

I'm sorry typing insults to people on the internet is so important to you and you don't seem to understand that people don't really want to put up with childish horseshit in their leisure time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm sorry typing insults to people on the internet is so important to you and you don't seem to understand that people don't really want to put up with childish horseshit in their leisure time.

You can ignore it and the issue will literally disappear from your life. And then you won't have to waste your time reporting and asking Blizzard to nanny the kind of behavior exhibited by children (a significant portion of blizzards customer base, I imagine) since the dawn of time.