Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You know, I wonder what happened to Kei's corpse. The clothes being burned makes sense as Shiro abandoning his old identity, but we've seen several people die--one of them in a fiery explosion!--and still come back as a shibito. Was the real Kei the first one to be on the receiving end of the Uryen?

And there is a lot to be said for being the guy who gets what needs to be done done. My understanding of Shinto is that if you do the wrong thing, you are damned regardless of your personal integrity and morals, but conversely, if you do the right thing, you don't have to actually be a good person to get a redemption. Shiro knew that the real Kei didn't have the knowledge or fortitude to do what was required, but he also believed "Shiro" wasn't worthy. Would Kei have given his life to power the cleansing fire? If not, then "Kei" would do what a spiritual leader must and free his flock from suffering.

And something else that might explain why the Onda sisters are here: Mina loved Shiro. He hates himself, and killed her when he found out she was pregnant in part because of his self loathing. We don't see the murder; did he strangle her or just hit her in a fit? No idea. But she still felt something for him. And Risa's connection to her sister means she channels her sisters emotions too. They can feel where "Kei" is going and follow him to the peak.

Still kind of hosed up how he has to put them down. They get a lot of poo poo for being victims in all this. And then they're "happy" to see him in the afterlife? Are they happy to see him because they're understanding and forgiving? Are they that way because they care about him or because they are moving on into the hereafter and so are beyond the petty concerns of who killed who and why? Are they tempting him to kill himself by jumping in the fire as a last act of revenge? Either way, hosed up serial killer man seems to have freed everyone (well not really, but a large number) from being trapped in rotting or mutating corpses and then died. Hooray!

Still have no idea where the uryen really came from and how they ended up in that hospital.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Paintamac posted:

Shiro turned out to be a pretty good dude after all. Pretty sure saving a bunch of people from eternal damnation outweighs all the murder, especially when you also saved said people from eternal damnation and suffering in the process.

Deliberately murdering the woman you impregnated, then finishing the murder of her sister, torturing/experimenting on both of them, and then murdering his brother is not a thing that gets excused. He did a thing, for unclear motives, that hopefully released people from a lovely curse. Most likely he did it because of the weird brother issue he had, like other people said. Bad people can do good things and still be bad.

From everything I've seen in this and other people have said, he just is obsessed with his image and probably saw the opportunity to be a hero. He burned his brother's body most likely because he knew well enough how hard it is to kill them, already had both the sisters tracking him down all the time, and most likely didn't want to add a third stalker to the pile. I'm sure his mental process was more like "This will slow him down a bit" not "I'm saving my brother from turning into a monster"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

EGSunBro posted:

What even is the point of the mud people? They're never mentioned before hand, just kind of appear, get a one sentence explanation that doesn't actually tell us anything and then die to a thing that we don't super understand.

Honestly in general the story seems to be wrapping up in a really "just because" way that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Best I can tell they serve to demonstrate that it is possible to resist becoming a weird bugman slave to the space shrimp through sheer willpower and refusing to give up, which explains how Kyoya (Also Tamon maybe?) keeps on trucking for so long when anyone else would be having the time of their unlife by now.

Paintamac
Oct 22, 2010

Shirec posted:

Deliberately murdering the woman you impregnated, then finishing the murder of her sister, torturing/experimenting on both of them

Its cool they both forgave him in the end

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Paintamac posted:

Its cool they both forgave him in the end

Just like how Tamon's parents were totally fine and waiting for him at his house! :downs:

Paintamac
Oct 22, 2010

Shirec posted:

Just like how Tamon's parents were totally fine and waiting for him at his house! :downs:

Now you get it! Siren is full of happy endings like that. :sparkles:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Shirec posted:

And how Tomoko met her parents and they all live happily together again! So lovely!

Seriously though Shiro remains a poo poo

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
My personal theory on mudpeople. Possible spoilers?
I'm not sure if any of this is true, but the way I choose understand it, once a person dies or is exposed to enough red water, they become a "half shibito". From that point, the siren then compels them to bathe themselves in the red ocean which triggers their evolution into a complete shibito (crawler, brain, etc...). Now this is all conjecture on my part, but if they're able to retain enough of their humanity/independence then they can resist the siren and choose not to evolve, eventually losing ol' alien god's gifts and decomposing into an eternally suffering mudman.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kojiro posted:

Shiro is a poo poo and I'm glad he's dead.
Yup, that's pretty much my feeling. He's an insane merciless psychopath Dr Mengele parody who mostly "got things done" by snuffing out/torturing a number of the few remaining cast before he lucked into doing something helpful (maybe? not like we know all about the context) due to his delusional roleplaying and now people call him a tragic hero? i don't think i'm buying it

for all we know the "thankful ghosts" of his victims were just wishful thinking on his part of being an unreliable crazy narrator.

EGSunBro posted:

What even is the point of the mud people? They're never mentioned before hand, just kind of appear, get a one sentence explanation that doesn't actually tell us anything and then die to a thing that we don't super understand.
Also yeah, it feels like that part of the story is either obscured intentionally (which to be fair, the game does for most of its lore aspects, so it's not that unusual) or if they had to cut the part of the (end)game that elaborated a bit more on it. Of course there's still some missing flavor archive items and the final mission/ending that will obviously answer all questions.

All questions.

(we'll probably never know for sure)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't think anybody here is apologizing for Shiro's actions but just trying to explain the reason he did the things he did in the end.

Paintamac
Oct 22, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

before he lucked into doing something helpful
It seemed like its what he was planning to do all along. You can not like the guy but that doesn't mean that his goal wasn't clearly to do the thing he set out to do.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
If Shiro was Kei ever since that gunshot, why did he act that way when they met the god? Going completely limp like that doesn't seem at all like him to do.

Paintamac
Oct 22, 2010

Momomo posted:

If Shiro was Kei ever since that gunshot, why did he act that way when they met the god? Going completely limp like that doesn't seem at all like him to do.

Maybe he didn't expect it to work? Or maybe he expected an actual holy god and not a giant bug dragon thing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Momomo posted:

Kei died after he met the god.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
Yeah, Shiro didn't shoot Kei until like 5 hours after Kyoya and Tamon left him alone.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think it's mentioned in supplemental materials that Shiro isn't a true believer in the local religion, having been tainted by the world outside the village when he trained to be a doctor. He likely paid lip service to the religion, what with it being such an important thing to the residents of the village, but just figured it wasn't any more 'real' than other cults and religions. Finding out that it's all true would do a serious blow to your world view.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

Yeah, Shiro didn't shoot Kei until like 5 hours after Kyoya and Tamon left him alone.
I'm pretty sure this is the case. We don't see Shiro as Kei until he shows up to give Kyoya the Uryen, after which he wanders off to murder a bunch of shibito and look for explosives.

edit: Uryen, not Urien. That's the guy from Street Fighter who really hates pants.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 14, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the case. We don't see Shiro as Kei until he shows up to give Kyoya the Urien, after which he wanders off to murder a bunch of shibito and look for explosives.

It's not really difficult to figure out. Just look at the timeline sgf put in the second post. Without it, I'd be really confused by this point.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

And More posted:

It's not really difficult to figure out. Just look at the timeline sgf put in the second post. Without it, I'd be really confused by this point.

"It's not hard. You see time is a squared cube..."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Imagine four shibito on the edge of a cliff...

(I completely forgot the timeline was in the second post so I was going off the top of my head, but apparently I've managed to keep track of things pretty well)

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Well, farewell to Kei/Shiro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-663uMIjdF4

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

FYI for RE7 there's two things in the yard you should try to find - one will make your toy axe useful and the other will make one of the broken guns useful (yes, that does include the shotgun you used earlier to weigh down the statue in the house).

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Seems kind of against the spirit of bumbling to just outright tell SGF stuff like that.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, cmon, at least keep the obnoxious back-seating to the appropriate youtube comments
or as i call them, the cringe-pits

(i'm kidding, they're 95% fine)

And More posted:

I'm really excited for that last episode - apparently it contains a ton of editing in order to illustrate some stuff.

I just don't quite remember what the blacked out bar at Day 2: 15:00 is about - is that the final missing mission or something else?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I just don't quite remember what the blacked out bar at Day 2: 15:00 is about - is that the final missing mission or something else?

It represents Miyako's vision from the Mana Stone from p. 48, I think.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Shiro was the hero Hanuda needed, but not the one it deserved.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
break the 3 hour mark sgf, you can do it maybe next loop, eh

And More posted:

It represents Miyako's vision from the Mana Stone from p. 48, I think.
Oh, thanks, i blanked on that one.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 17, 2017

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.60 - Divine Retribution

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
so in the end, reiko is the secret ultimate hero; who even after being turned into a shibito, fights to save harumi and is indirectly responsible for empowering the homuranagi; also, yep, the two mudman who got away where tamons parents, which confirm the mudman in general where the victims of the landslide that cost him his parents

the following spoilers mention some small spoiler stuff for the second game that ties to this one
the second game confirms that harumi is the only survivor, at the least the only one to return to the real world, so reiko definetely saved her at the last second, the events of this game, however, left quite an impression on her and hanuda area in general, as a supernaturally attuned character from the second game finds out

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 18, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm so glad Mrs. Takato's heroism wasn't in vain.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

She's the best character.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Night10194 posted:

Mrs. Takato can be my mom.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy hell this runtime.

Paintamac
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks for the great LP SuperGreatFriend. I was always interested in this game but never had the will power to actually play it with all the dumb obtuse stuff in it so it’s nice to have some closure.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I wonder what Kyoya and Yoriko are gonna do in hell for the rest of their lives? Man that's a brutal ending for them. Presumably they probably kill Tamon, or maybe are able to share their blood with him if they feel cruel? But man that really sucks for everyone involved.

Great LP SGF, super entertaining watch. I've heard of Siren before but never played it myself, and I'm glad I won't have to now, but it was a great ride to watch for sure!

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
for those wondering what yoriko, tamon and kyoya do in hell for the rest of eternity its actually covered in two diferent places, yoriko (and tamon, sort of) in an interview on a gaming magasine I believe (japan only) where its stated that yoriko takes it as a chance to explore and discover new things, aparently taking tamon along; as for kyoya, he shows up in the sequel, on a 'secret' mission

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Siderite, as Bloodborne players will probably know, is a term for metal taken from a meteorite. In this case, it was likely the remains of Datatsuhi's craft.

I also made reference to a popular in-joke/meme at the time of the game's release. In case anyone was wondering the baseball bat Yoriko uses to rescue Tamon was known at the time as the 'Homerunagi (Home run-agi, geddit?)'.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Siderite, as Bloodborne players will probably know, is a term for metal taken from a meteorite. In this case, it was likely the remains of Datatsuhi's craft.

I also made reference to a popular in-joke/meme at the time of the game's release. In case anyone was wondering the baseball bat Yoriko uses to rescue Tamon was known at the time as the 'Homerunagi (Home run-agi, geddit?)'.

I like bad puns, but even I think that's a bit much

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the LP SGF, excellent as always.

I have a question though, which I guess the thread at large can answer: Why exactly does Hisako set up the Hanudan religion to summon the alien god? Like.. what's the plan when she does that? Why would it be happy to see her after what happened to it originally?

I originally thought it must be to.. top up her immortality or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So what's the endgame here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

LordNagash posted:

I have a question though, which I guess the thread at large can answer: Why exactly does Hisako set up the Hanudan religion to summon the alien god? Like.. what's the plan when she does that? Why would it be happy to see her after what happened to it originally?

I originally thought it must be to.. top up her immortality or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So what's the endgame here?

I can't remember where it's mentioned, but the ritual is, in part, a sacrifice to Datatsushi to keep him from destroying the village. Every generation or so, they toss him a sacrifice, he gets stronger and promises not to create another earthquake a la 1976 (incidentally, I bet you can't guess when the ritual was last interrupted and what happened then). The whole thing is, in reality, a centuries-long plan to revive him so he has enough strength to get back home. Which makes his whole backstory really depressing if you think about it. Hisako was dragged into the whole thing when she was 'chosen' in the scene where she was eating his flesh. Over the years, she occasionally forgets her purpose, which is why she seems so open and friendly at the start. By the end, she remembers what she's supposed to be doing, hence her about-face during the game.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 18, 2017

• Locked thread