Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

wa27 posted:

To make sure people don't change it and then immediately change it back? Disallowing the last n passwords would fix that too, I guess.

Yeah, but dedicated users will just change their passwords six, eight, ten, whatever times rapid-fire until they can go back to hunter2 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

This just came through our queue. We have been using Skype for Business/Lynx for 3-4 years now. Who has been using AIM after 2007?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

The Nards Pan posted:

Yeah, but dedicated users will just change their passwords six, eight, ten, whatever times rapid-fire until they can go back to hunter2 or whatever.

I don't think you can set your password as seven asterisks

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't tell me how to live my life.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
A former co-worker told me that he had his password set as a small word and a number at the end. Every password change day, he just increased the number by 1.

Told me it was depressing when he was on the equivalent of Password30. :smith:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mewse posted:

When people call for a password reset now I tell them "OK I'll give you a temporary password", set it to something simple and set the flag for "user must change password at next logon".

I like to think this prevents repeat calls because they're forced to choose their own password that fits the requirements -- I know there are some people who just call in every time their password expires rather than handling it themselves, which is OK if they are out of the office but just lazy otherwise.

One of the main things I do at my helpdesk position is set temporary passwords. Most calls are friendly, emails are short and easy. And the self-use password tools are broken because so much stuff has been updated, except for the tools, so it's way less frustration for the user to call in. There's also like 7 accounts to use, only 3 of which are synchronized with passwords.

Now, the real fun is the people who don't understand what "You will have to change your password at next log in" means, or can't type the same thing in the "new password" field and the "Confirm new password" field. :argh:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Malek posted:

A former co-worker told me that he had his password set as a small word and a number at the end. Every password change day, he just increased the number by 1.

Told me it was depressing when he was on the equivalent of Password30. :smith:

I've had a few places where it wouldn't even let me use something similar to any of my old ones. That one got frustrating after I managed to screw it up, and all of my memorable passwords got used in a couple weeks.

On the bright side, thats also what got me using a password manager.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Nards Pan posted:

Hahaha OK that makes sense.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Any of yall ever had to run a location off a mobile 4G hotspot? One of our warehouses had to move locations before the local government would approve running fiber(commission in charge of that only meets every three months) so we're stuck trying to get ~40 PCs and printers working off of a Verizon hotspot connected to a Meraki firewall. Naturally half our necessary services work fine if a little slow, and the rest are completely failing to connect.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

cage-free egghead posted:

This just came through our queue. We have been using Skype for Business/Lynx for 3-4 years now. Who has been using AIM after 2007?

Can they use AIM? I thought they had shut off the service.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eschatos posted:

Any of yall ever had to run a location off a mobile 4G hotspot? One of our warehouses had to move locations before the local government would approve running fiber(commission in charge of that only meets every three months) so we're stuck trying to get ~40 PCs and printers working off of a Verizon hotspot connected to a Meraki firewall. Naturally half our necessary services work fine if a little slow, and the rest are completely failing to connect.

Is there no other internet connection you can get at that site besides the 4G hotspot and the (future) fiber link? Even getting a very slow DSL or cable line in there may allow some of your services to work that don't work now.

azurite posted:

You're thinking of MSN Messenger for the shutdown, or maybe Yahoo Messenger which was supposed to go down soon. Both ICQ and AIM are fully functional still with no plans to shut either of them down.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eschatos posted:

Good luck. I'd look into DSL or something as a temporary thing.

We had an office move across town. Before move we set up and verified it would have Fiber access with AT&T.

We get there and...no fiber. They'd have to run it to the building, in fact, as the closest line stopped across the street. It would take months to get approval and install, and it would cost a bazillion dollars.

We eventually got it to the building, pretty sure after some legal action, but we tried hotspots at first. It was loving awful. Some services were unusable and our IT guys were working 12-18 hours per day every day trying to fix it for weeks. Eventually we just gave up and got some DSL hooked up. Slow, but at least it worked.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

fishmech posted:

Is there no other internet connection you can get at that site besides the 4G hotspot and the (future) fiber link? Even getting a very slow DSL or cable line in there may allow some of your services to work that don't work now.

It's only for three weeks, so I guess the folks doing the move decided it wasn't worth it. We've got enough workarounds to get everything functioning, if not in ideal ways.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cage-free egghead posted:

Is it AIM or MSN Messenger that all the stock-floor-traders use? I know one of the two is like, enduringly perpetually popular because it's totally entrenched.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is it AIM or MSN Messenger that all the stock-floor-traders use? I know one of the two is like, enduringly perpetually popular because it's totally entrenched.
Of those two, only one still exists.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're thinking too smart. I'll bet they put ALL their work on the desktop so they could find it.
Basically this. The user's job involves printing a lot of things to PDF, and those all get saved to his desktop. He doesn't use desktop icons for anything, so he didn't care that it was overflowing until Windows started caring for him. Everything is oepend through app dialog boxes sorted by date. Why he started using the desktop folder rather than the more logical My Documents or something I have no idea, I imagine it's because some app defaulted to saving to the desktop, and since he never saved anywhere else it just stayed that way.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

The Nards Pan posted:

I...have never thought of this. You've just changed my life for the better.

Our voicemail PINs are unnecessarily long, and I have zero confidential information on my business phone so I'm perfectly happy to reuse my PIN forever. Every quarter when the reset comes along I basically smile real big at my buddy over in Telecom and he clears out my PIN history, but now I can spare him that call.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yahoo was huge for traders in a lot of industries, before the recent decision by Yahoo to discontinue the normal client for it (which a lot of them needed to use because of how you could integrate it with other things). Most of them have likely switched to AIM or ICQ since those services are still up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RFC2324 posted:

I've had a few places where it wouldn't even let me use something similar to any of my old ones. That one got frustrating after I managed to screw it up, and all of my memorable passwords got used in a couple weeks.

If similar passwords are refused, then your old passwords are stored in plain text.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If similar passwords are refused, then your old passwords are stored in plain text.

It might also hash out similar passwords when it's created so if you send Hunter2 it might hash a few increments or other common "same password" things. I'm sure you could figure out a way to do it.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

mewse posted:

When people call for a password reset now I tell them "OK I'll give you a temporary password", set it to something simple and set the flag for "user must change password at next logon".

I like to think this prevents repeat calls because they're forced to choose their own password that fits the requirements -- I know there are some people who just call in every time their password expires rather than handling it themselves, which is OK if they are out of the office but just lazy otherwise.

We can't even force a password change because most users requesting password resets are off-campus, and logging in through our web portal. Somewhere the link to AD is messed up, so that the "user must change password at next logon" flag stops them from being able to change their password from the website. We just give everyone the same temp password in an email, followed by "This is a temporary password please change immediately from the account menu!" I doubt many people do.

I seem to be the only person here who sees the problem with this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hungry Computer posted:

We can't even force a password change because most users requesting password resets are off-campus, and logging in through our web portal. Somewhere the link to AD is messed up, so that the "user must change password at next logon" flag stops them from being able to change their password from the website. We just give everyone the same temp password in an email, followed by "This is a temporary password please change immediately from the account menu!" I doubt many people do.

I seem to be the only person here who sees the problem with this.
The way we get around this is that our remote users also have laptops with a lovely disk encryption, and resetting their Windows password from their laptop will sync the password to their disk encryption, so it is in their best interest to connect to the VPN and then reset their Windows password after we give them a temporary password with which to log into the VPN, even though we can't force them to change their password at next logon.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

azurite posted:

fishmech posted:

You're thinking of MSN Messenger for the shutdown, or maybe Yahoo Messenger which was supposed to go down soon. Both ICQ and AIM are fully functional still with no plans to shut either of them down.

The servers are still up and AOL is still operating them with no intention of shutting down, but the development team behind AIM was shitcanned back in 2012, so there won't be any new (official) clients or updates.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mewse posted:

This has gotten me repeated callbacks as people mistake the change password dialogue for their new password not working.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

This has gotten me repeated callbacks as people mistake the change password dialogue for their new password not working.

I hold their hand through the process over the phone. "Ok 'old password' is the temporary password I just gave you."

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yay, I just got the "I just received the automated ticket creation email ten seconds after I submitted my ticket and it's frankly insulting that you've marked it 'Low Priority' given the severity of the issue" phone call.

Who had that in the pool for today?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

odiv posted:

Yay, I just got the "I just received the automated ticket creation email ten seconds after I submitted my ticket and it's frankly insulting that you've marked it 'Low Priority' given the severity of the issue" phone call.

I hope you just pointed them at your SLA matrix.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wa27 posted:

To make sure people don't change it and then immediately change it back? Disallowing the last n passwords would fix that too, I guess.

It's the combination of both though - if you set a minimum of one day and also remember the last 20, it'd take them 20 days to get back to their old password. Which I mean at that point, if they're that dedicated, godspeed you massive twatface you just go ahead and use whatever stupid password you had. Whereas if there's no minimum they can speed through it in 5 minutes.

And yeah the error message about complexity when it's the minimum age loving it up is a ridiculous situation - how hard would it be Microsoft to have the machine say "your password cannot be changed yet because of minimum age requirements, please contact your admin"? You don't even have to say how long you have to wait because that would be giving up too much information in the system, but at least point the user (and the helpdesk) in the right direction instead of the helpdesk spending 30 minutes having the user type in valid passwords and both sides getting more and more angry because the helpdesk thinks the user is an idiot and the user knows s/he's typing in a correct password.

No I haven't experienced this directly or anything why do you ask

edit: goddammit there was another page I'm loving failing at posting today

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 15, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

odiv posted:

We just switched over to a new system that sends automated e-mails when a ticket is created or closed. Also since it's a new system there are tons of duplicate tickets. There's no way to merge tickets, so you have to close one and note on it that it was merged with ticket number whatever.

It doesn't matter how much you warn the user, how clear you make the notes that "this is still open just with a different number", it doesn't matter if you called this person every day for a week and never got a response, as soon as you close that ticket there's an angry e-mail "WHY DID THIS GET CLOSED IT IS NOT RESOLVED!" And of course the reply-to e-mail address is the automated ticket generating e-mail address, so that opens another new call, which has to be closed, and...

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

A Pinball Wizard posted:

We just switched over to a new system that sends automated e-mails when a ticket is created or closed. Also since it's a new system there are tons of duplicate tickets. There's no way to merge tickets, so you have to close one and note on it that it was merged with ticket number whatever.

It doesn't matter how much you warn the user, how clear you make the notes that "this is still open just with a different number", it doesn't matter if you called this person every day for a week and never got a response, as soon as you close that ticket there's an angry e-mail "WHY DID THIS GET CLOSED IT IS NOT RESOLVED!" And of course the reply-to e-mail address is the automated ticket generating e-mail address, so that opens another new call, which has to be closed, and...

Trigger warning that poo poo :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I think we mandate password changes every 6 months, and for those who are out traveling a lot AND is capable of using strong passwords (and password managers) we waive that time limit too.

The strict password rotate rules that are in place aren't nearly as effective as people think.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Of those two, only one still exists.

MS Messenger was a god drat great messaging program, and it's a shame it was dumped in favor of Skype. :(

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Haha, our ISP has a ticket system similar to this in that the submission confirmation contains your ticket number in the subject head but their actual responses do not.

So any time I have to call them it's a silly case of "Yeah I don't know what my ticket number is but it relates to issue blah blah"

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My company just said two day incident closure in our totally poo poo HEAT itsm platform otherwise it impacts pa for the individual and the team.

I said are you sure you want to do this because people will just avoid making incidents and generally game the system. Had them confirm they have no guidelines and no data to support why it should be two days instead of maybe starting with a week or evaluating/making a dedicated SLA.

Response: Yes. Document everything. :downswords:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
The IT guys set our domain passwords for us and we're not allowed to change them.

And if you get locked out or forget, they can just send you the password. The original. It doesn't change. Doesn't that imply they have them stored in plaintext somewhere?

I have access to sensitive financial information because my idiot CFO didn't set up my QuickBooks account properly, and we've got sorta crappy, obvious passwords despite "complexity" and are discouraged from locking the computer anytime but the end of the day.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
How many times a year do you get crypto, on average

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

D34THROW posted:

The IT guys set our domain passwords for us and we're not allowed to change them.

And if you get locked out or forget, they can just send you the password. The original. It doesn't change. Doesn't that imply they have them stored in plaintext somewhere?

I have access to sensitive financial information because my idiot CFO didn't set up my QuickBooks account properly, and we've got sorta crappy, obvious passwords despite "complexity" and are discouraged from locking the computer anytime but the end of the day.

Yes. I've seen in-house heads of IT store everyone's password in an excel sheet on a network drive.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

D34THROW posted:

:wow:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

D34THROW posted:

I would hope it's in a keepass but based on the fact that this doesn't make any sense at all I'm going to assume excel file and they don't care. You have incompetent internal IT. I find most people in IT don't know what they are doing and half your job is damage control for their loving up. They are almost always above you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MANime in the sheets posted:

Yes. I've seen in-house heads of IT store everyone's password in an excel sheet on a network drive.

:magical:
That defeats the whole purpose of changing password every X days.

• Locked thread