Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ciaphas posted:

If I'm out exploring, can I always tell right away from the system map which planets can be landed on, or do I have to go to and scan them to find out for uninhabited ones?

Natsuumi posted:

You can always tell landables. They have the blue circle around them. What you can't see if the surface map until you actually scan it.

…also, without even going into the system map, once you've bonged the system and everything shows up in your navigation panel, you'll notice that even without having scanned them, selecting some Unknown objects give you the option to view the surface map and others don't. Those that do are landable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cool, thanks. Dunno what the point is of driving around on uninhabited planets yet, though, besides doing the sickets of mad hops over a .5km gulch on a 0.14g moon :buddy:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks. Dunno what the point is of driving around on uninhabited planets yet, though, besides doing the sickets of mad hops over a .5km gulch on a 0.14g moon :buddy:

Just pretend you're the equivalent of a space person doing off roading on a quad bike.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

low g hooning is great fun

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Watch me get thirty seconds of air time while I jump into this giant low-G crater.

*fucks it up, spends the next two minutes tumbling down*

Ok where's the next crater.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Erugh, where's a somewhat painless spot to park a Type 9 and mine out 500 ore? I'm at Founder's World for point of reference.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh cool. I didn't know the asp could do passenger missions. Which modules do I need to swap out to do them well?

Man, the new witch space is so good.

There are 3 types of passenger cabins. I keep a size 5 of each (first, business and economy class) in storage and swap out to match the particular mission requirements. Just one mission as a time. Then I have a 6B fuel scoop, size 3 planetary vehicle bay (just in case I need to land on a planet, this is not necessary for passenger missions), size 3 cargo bay (some passengers will request you buy them cargo), detailed surface scanner and advanced discovery scanner.

No weapons, but I do have a shield generator. Utility mounts are 4x heat sink to use when I want to go silent running. Some passengers freak the gently caress out about being scanned.

Eventually you will want to engineer your fsd for maximum jump range. The rest of the core internals I go for the lightest possible (D rated), but I do use an A rated power plant for heat efficiency. I like to scoop fast and that generates a bit of heat.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Watch me get thirty seconds of air time while I jump into this giant low-G crater.

Ok where's the next crater.

that hurts to read because I've been there. Trying to climb out of a 2km deep canyon is not fun nor is it quick.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

WebDog posted:

Erugh, where's a somewhat painless spot to park a Type 9 and mine out 500 ore? I'm at Founder's World for point of reference.

Edtools says Delkar :v:

http://edtools.ddns.net/?s=shinrarta%2520dezhra

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

:nallears:

The disputee is appearently a friend of Ian Bell who own Bells Elite rights. Bell doesn't seem to have anything to do with it (and is likely too busy with being a raving techno shaman to care).
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/02/elite-dangerous-pen-and-paper-rpg-stymied-by-intellectual-property-dispute/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lima posted:

:nallears:

The disputee is appearently a friend of Ian Bell who own Bells Elite rights. Bell doesn't seem to have anything to do with it (and is likely too busy with being a raving techno shaman to care).
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/02/elite-dangerous-pen-and-paper-rpg-stymied-by-intellectual-property-dispute/

After reading through this mess, the problem seems to lie with copyright laws: Frontier has the rights to use Bell's stuff, but for some reason isn't allowed to sublicense that crap to others.

I guess the obvious solution would be for Frontier to take over the guy who makes the pen and paper RPG so he works for them, instead of sublicensing from them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, looks like Frontier has killed the standalone ED:CQC game, or at least taken it off sale anyway.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Commander Creator is pretty good, not my thing but seems pretty powerful.

New camera system looks really cool.

Commanders are actually animated in the cockpit and it looks nice.

Dolphin revealed.

Also mega ships :eyepop:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 14, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The T16000 hotas arrived. Holy gently caress I can finally use fa off :getin:

Also, so many hats. What do you guys bind for targeting? I currently set the middle one to target next ship, target next hostile, target next and target previous subsystem. Top hat is for ui panel selection, bottom for chaff / SCB / heatsinks and one direction is unassigned. Target ahead is on the stick.

I love the up / down switch in front of the throttle, having supercruise and hyperspace separate is incredibly convenient. Also the little joystick switching from thrusters to headlook when you click it is awesome.

This is so much better than the hotas x.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

TorakFade posted:

Also, so many hats. What do you guys bind for targeting? I currently set the middle one to target next ship, target next hostile, target next and target previous subsystem. Top hat is for ui panel selection, bottom for chaff / SCB / heatsinks and one direction is unassigned. Target ahead is on the stick.

I use this setup but with forward only throttle, boost on the analog stick click, and disabled the landing overrides.

https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/oltmon?replay=oltmon

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Boogalo posted:

I use this setup but with forward only throttle, boost on the analog stick click, and disabled the landing overrides.

https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/oltmon?replay=oltmon

Oooh this site is cool. I don't like modifiers, I got this specifically to have a ton more buttons so I wouldn't have to fiddle with modifiers especially during combat. I rarely wing up and never used fighters so the dedicated commands for those aren't needed right now.

I have it set up like this: https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/wjmnni?replay=wjmnni

I need to rejigger it a bit, have to switch the reverse and drive assist for the SRV to make it consistent with the ship, add "next system in route" bind somewhere (probably on the base of the stick - left side, don't really know what else to put there) because I use it all the time, and sensor range to either the wheel on the throttle left side or the slider on the joystick base. Also I have no idea what to put on "down" on the bottom throttle hat, it irks me that it's unassigned but since I'll be using frantically in combat/emergencies to chaff/SCB/heatsink I don't want anything dangerous or disrupting there.

Anything else that I'm missing and should really bind?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 14, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mr. Crow posted:

Commander Creator is pretty good, not my thing but seems pretty powerful.

New camera system looks really cool.

Commanders are actually animated in the cockpit and it looks nice.

Dolphin revealed.

Also mega ships :eyepop:

If we're talking not-yet-released features, someone tell me about multicrew.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Gort posted:

If we're talking not-yet-released features, someone tell me about multicrew.

They're demonstrating multicrew in the stream on Thursday

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Megaships are long-overdue pieces of backdrop/scenery, nice that they're adding some more infrastructure stuff.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

El Grillo posted:

pieces of backdrop/scenery

There's more to them than just that right? ......Right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

There's more to them than just that right? ......Right?

You can dock at them, Mr. Takes-Everything-Literal.

Also, the Dolphin looks kind of cute. :3:

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

DancingShade posted:

This, but in VR..

:barf:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I don't know a drat thing about the Dolphin except how it looks and I need it oh god I need it now!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

You can dock at them, Mr. Takes-Everything-Literal.
-some- of them, they said! I wonder how they'll show up, just as their own individual locations in supercruise, or next to stations/whatever in actual space.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Are there any good multi hat joysticks? I want a Logitech x52 but aggressively don't want the throttle and apparently they made the throttle a requirement to use the joystick even though they are separated. Something not 4 miles high like the warthog which makes it obnoxious to use.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

El Grillo posted:

-some- of them, they said! I wonder how they'll show up, just as their own individual locations in supercruise, or next to stations/whatever in actual space.

Hopefully all of the above.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

TorakFade posted:

I love the up / down switch in front of the throttle, having supercruise and hyperspace separate is incredibly convenient.
Leave J as the default context sensitive jump, bind Shift+J to jump to supercruise :science:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Doing these cargo courier runs is getting me crafting components, but they're taking up valuable cargo space. Can I not move them to my space suit pockets with my 300 other random bits of engineering ingredients?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

Doing these cargo courier runs is getting me crafting components, but they're taking up valuable cargo space. Can I not move them to my space suit pockets with my 300 other random bits of engineering ingredients?

Commodities (that take up cargo space) aren't used in engineering recipes anymore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Not home to try it for a couple hours so I'll just ask, how does the mouse steering work in this game? Is it a point where you want to turn thing like in arcade War Thunder, or is it the more typical 'pitch forward as long as you're moving the mouse up, requiring you to pick up and drag a hell of a lot for even medium turning ships' thing?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

I don't know a drat thing about the Dolphin except how it looks and I need it oh god I need it now!

This is the first time in a long while that I'm really excited about trying something out in Beta.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ciaphas posted:

Not home to try it for a couple hours so I'll just ask, how does the mouse steering work in this game? Is it a point where you want to turn thing like in arcade War Thunder, or is it the more typical 'pitch forward as long as you're moving the mouse up, requiring you to pick up and drag a hell of a lot for even medium turning ships' thing?

It can be either, both or even like Freelancer. Control mapping is probably the only fully thought out part of this game. It's very robust and powerful in its customizability.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

BitBasher posted:

Are there any good multi hat joysticks? I want a Logitech x52 but aggressively don't want the throttle and apparently they made the throttle a requirement to use the joystick even though they are separated. Something not 4 miles high like the warthog which makes it obnoxious to use.

I bought the CH Products fighterstick recently. It's sold separately from the throttle and has more buttons in better positions than does the x52. And CH is much better construction quality than saitek.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-200-571-Fighterstick-USB/dp/B00006B84X

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

It can be either, both or even like Freelancer. Control mapping is probably the only fully thought out part of this game. It's very robust and powerful in its customizability.

Cool, I'll have to figure out how to map that. Point to turn works hilariously well in War Thunder, and here at least the 360 pad isn't working out well for me (too much stuff to map so I have to go back to keyboard anyway)

Never played Freelancer, though, so I have no idea how that controls. :shobon:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Krycek posted:

I bought the CH Products fighterstick recently. It's sold separately from the throttle and has more buttons in better positions than does the x52. And CH is much better construction quality than saitek.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-200-571-Fighterstick-USB/dp/B00006B84X

Oh hell yes. That's the ticket right there, thanks!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It doesn't twist.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

LostCosmonaut posted:

Commodities (that take up cargo space) aren't used in engineering recipes anymore.

Oh neat, so I can just sell 'em?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

TomR posted:

It doesn't twist.

heresy

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

TomR posted:

It doesn't twist.

Rhythmically tapping Q and E is better than using a twisting joystick, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

TomR posted:

It doesn't twist.

It also doesn't break after a week like saitek products.

• Locked thread