Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they're fairly clearly what the tree dudes on the High Wall turn into, every single tree dude (and shelled pilgrim) is facing the castle even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Internet Kraken posted:

There's literally an entire cave full of necromancers and skeletons before the boss. That's about as much leadup as there is to Crystal Sage in DS3, who just has some garbage hollow mages in big hats before him.

This is explained in the item info for the Soul of a Crystal Sage:

quote:

The twin Crystal Sages once serves as spiritual guides to the scholars of the Grand Archives, and one went on to ally with the Undead Legion.

It also explains why you run into one at the Grand Archives too!

What I don't really get is the distinction between the Farron Watchdogs and the Undead Legion.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I ran through the grand archives to get Soul Stream last night. Now I know people say it's a bad spell, but I'm enjoying it. It feels fun to use, and I think it does good enough damage plus it seems to hit multiple times.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You need to shout Kamehameha loudly each time you cast it

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inspector_666 posted:

What I don't really get is the distinction between the Farron Watchdogs and the Undead Legion.

Watchdogs are just the guys who protect the entrance to farron keep. The undead legion hold back the tide of the abyss. I personally think it's implied that they buried the kingdom of carthus due to high lord wolnir's taste for dark.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah the Watchdogs are essentially the guys protecting the Undead Legion from people who would interrupt their sleep/vigil, I think. Much like the other guys with a similar job, the Aldrich Faithful. I assume they came as a response to the Legion linking the fire, so the Watchdogs formed to watch over Farron Keep and the burial grounds of the Legion.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah the Watchdogs are essentially the guys protecting the Undead Legion from people who would interrupt their sleep/vigil, I think. Much like the other guys with a similar job, the Aldrich Faithful. I assume they came as a response to the Legion linking the fire, so the Watchdogs formed to watch over Farron Keep and the burial grounds of the Legion.

I figured it was something like this, I didn't actually put the incredibly obvious link to Wolnir together, though.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The Undead Legion used to go around the world hunting the abyss, as a kind of cult to Artorias, along with the Followers you find in the DLC, which were more of a grunt army that would come in after them and clean up any stragglers. Eventually the Legion linked the fire and their fallen were put to rest in the catacomb in Farron Keep. The watchdogs stayed to protect their remains from trespassers and graverobbers, much like the Catbros (Forest Hunters) and Sif did in DS1 with Artorias' grave.

The Legion itself seems to have been corrupted when the bell tolled and they were brought back, and are stuck fighting each other forever, dying and being reborn, until the player comes and puts them down.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Maleh-Vor posted:

I like to think of Storm King as the equivalent of run-back mobs to Nameless King, considering the bonfire is RIGHT THERE.

He dies in like 4 swings of an ultra-greatsword + the critical, and it's pretty easy to dodge all of his attacks.

I love the Twin Princes, mainly due to the music, visual design and staging, as well as everything that was already mentioned recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFRaZs6ri7s&hd=1

Tragic bosses are kind of what makes these games for me, and I can think of no better example than The Maiden Astraea fight from Demon's Souls. That was what cemented this series as my favorite, and the moment I knew I was going to play every one of these games. It's when the stage, the music, the setting, the boss arena, and the actual boss mechanics come together so perfectly that really sets these games apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-rNVnrFQDg&hd=1

Still waiting for Bloodborne to come to PC though, I can't afford a PS4 for 1 game.

As far as terribly, weightily sad songs go, Orphan of Kos is probably my favourite and it really comes down to these four notes that start here (from an instrument that's probably brass but I don't know enough about them to say more than that). I think it's the contrast between that and the ethereal voice singing along that just makes my shoulders sag every time I hear them, like, "Man, I feel you Orphan, it does suck the big one that you lost your mom-alien. You're right to want to kill me."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Maleh-Vor posted:

The Legion itself seems to have been corrupted when the bell tolled and they were brought back, and are stuck fighting each other forever, dying and being reborn, until the player comes and puts them down.

Yeah the growing darkness of the world is building up in all the undead. Outside of the pilgrim metamorphosis, there's the red eyes. I personally think it is the deep growing out from the dark sign of the hollows, something abyssal is happening because the Farron weapons get the damage bonus. While the Lords of cinder ember during a fight at least champion gundyr (I think others can't remember) gain the intense red eyes. The Farron knight that fights anyone has red eyes too.
This probably is why the player is an ashen one and not a "proper" undead with dark sigils and hollowing. If it had been festering in their grave with that stuff this whole time they would have been useless like the Lords of cinder probably.

Actually thinking about it londor is probably super hosed up from the hollows manifesting the deep within them and might be where Friede got her idea of gentle repose and rotting away. (Also it's weird that an ashen one is leading a church of hollows, thinking about that)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I thought the angel-pilgrim lookin' thing in the DLC teaser looked a lot like the Darklurker. Anyway, that's all I've got. See you all later! :)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh hey do we know where the entry point for The Ringed City DLC will be?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the ringed city is the great "rim" of the greatest and deepest void of all; the titanic goAtse's Man's rear end.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the ringed city is the great "rim" of the greatest and deepest void of all; the titanic goAtse's Man's rear end.

So does that mean it's near the Curse Rotted Greatwood? You have to wail on a tree's dick and rear end in a top hat to kill it...

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Man's rear end, Father of the Abyss - the primeval goatman.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh hey do we know where the entry point for The Ringed City DLC will be?

It was in your heart all along, you just needed $14.99 to unlock it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The true entrance was the $14.99 FROM made along the way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

moneybags required ahead

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

You have to wail on a tree's dick and rear end in a top hat to kill it.

Thread title plz

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Giant Isopod posted:

Man's rear end, Father of the Abyss - the primeval goatman.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Picked up the game a few days ago, at Irythll now. So happy I went with a STR build - Cathedral Knight's Sword kicks rear end. At first I didn't like the guard crush mechanic after it happened to me a few times, but after getting to guard crush a giant crab and giant dog monster, I'm down. :black101:

Also got invaded by a K***ht Artroias, who gave me 10 embers before he whooped my rear end in a very laggy fashion.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Imagine the hubris to think I was going to kill the Smelter Demon on the first try..

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

^burtle posted:

Imagine the hubris to think I was going to kill the Smelter Demon on the first try..

Do what I did. Ignore him for now, beat everything in the game and then come back and hatefuck him.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^burtle posted:

I beat him the first try. That was always one of those bosses that people said was hard and just clicked with me. Not that's theres not other bosses that beat the hell out of me that were "easy".

The best is fighting the pallete sway one in the DLC, building 2 smelter swords, and powerstancing a flaming and blue flaming swords. God I loved that game.

Make America Power Stance Again.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I wish DS2 used SL instead of SM.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Bombadilillo posted:

I beat him the first try. That was always one of those bosses that people said was hard and just clicked with me. Not that's theres not other bosses that beat the hell out of me that were "easy".

The best is fighting the pallete sway one in the DLC, building 2 smelter swords, and powerstancing a flaming and blue flaming swords. God I loved that game.

Make America Power Stance Again.

I got him to about 40% and was like gently caress YEAH I'LL BEAT THE HYPE and then got caught in an explosion thinking it was an okay time to flask.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^burtle posted:

I got him to about 40% and was like gently caress YEAH I'LL BEAT THE HYPE and then got caught in an explosion thinking it was an okay time to flask.

Yeah Im sure you will get him now that you know he explodes a bit when he shifts modes. Hes got the egregious spin tracking attack, but I found him real easy to time the dodge compared to other bosses. Everybody's got one. Crystal Sage in DS3 always takes me embarrassingly long 10ish tries, ever after going through the game many times.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
The smelter demon is that huge thing in the circular room in the old iron keep, right? Legit easy fight. Even i was able to one shot it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah Im sure you will get him now that you know he explodes a bit when he shifts modes. Hes got the egregious spin tracking attack, but I found him real easy to time the dodge compared to other bosses. Everybody's got one. Crystal Sage in DS3 always takes me embarrassingly long 10ish tries, ever after going through the game many times.

Thanks to the advice from a few pages back, I managed to get past Lost Bastille which I had never done before, but now I've hit that point in Souls where I've probably overleveled the area so just torching bosses which makes me sloppy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

^burtle posted:

Thanks to the advice from a few pages back, I managed to get past Lost Bastille which I had never done before, but now I've hit that point in Souls where I've probably overleveled the area so just torching bosses which makes me sloppy.

I think the same thing happened to me. I struggled in Forest of Giants and Heide's, so I did a bunch of co-op for forest and Bastille, then more or less had an easy time up till Iron Keep, which was mostly Alonne knights kicking my poo poo, then went back to mostly smooth sailing minus one or two roadbumps before getting completely thrashed by the DLC.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bombadilillo posted:

Crystal Sage was one-and-done for me my first time fighting her, but I died twice killing her on my second playthrough and I die every time I try to help somebody coop her.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Oxyclean posted:

I think the same thing happened to me. I struggled in Forest of Giants and Heide's, so I did a bunch of co-op for forest and Bastille, then more or less had an easy time up till Iron Keep, which was mostly Alonne knights kicking my poo poo, then went back to mostly smooth sailing minus one or two roadbumps before getting completely thrashed by the DLC.

I know the journey is supposed to be the fun of the game but I would have really enjoyed just a boss arena mode for any of these.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, power stancing was so rad. It's a shame that 3 lost that, but at least there's Nioh's stances to pick up the slack.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^burtle posted:

I know the journey is supposed to be the fun of the game but I would have really enjoyed just a boss arena mode for any of these.

I wish they went full Nioh level select. All the DS2 elevator bitching and supposedly spanning continents would work a lot better if you went to a map screen rather then walked through a tunnel.

Plus you can replay anything you want. Which is so novel, playing the parts of the game I want. What a revelation!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

^burtle posted:

That kind of seems like what Monster Hunter almost is.

Personally my favourite part of Souls has been exploring areas and finding secrets. Souls 1 was such a treat for how it laid out it's world, Souls 2 was such a bummer for how lazy the layout felt by comparison. I was seriously hoping there'd be some lore/story/meta reasoning for that one elevator but nope, not really.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Bombadilillo posted:

I wish they went full Nioh level select. All the DS2 elevator bitching and supposedly spanning continents would work a lot better if you went to a map screen rather then walked through a tunnel.

Plus you can replay anything you want. Which is so novel, playing the parts of the game I want. What a revelation!

I want a boss arena mode or something for DaS1 just so I can fight Artorias over and over. I love that fight so much.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

That kind of seems like what Monster Hunter almost is.

Personally my favourite part of Souls has been exploring areas and finding secrets. Souls 1 was such a treat for how it laid out it's world, Souls 2 was such a bummer for how lazy the layout felt by comparison. I was seriously hoping there'd be some lore/story/meta reasoning for that one elevator but nope, not really.

The in game reason is that you are traveling to different parts of a whole continent and the transitions are metaphorical for you traveling long distances. With DS3 we see that lands ARE actually converging over time. Space and distance are fluid as is your characters memory of traveling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All souls games are good. Umbasa

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

The in game reason is that you are traveling to different parts of a whole continent and the transitions are metaphorical for you traveling long distances. With DS3 we see that lands ARE actually converging over time. Space and distance are fluid as is your characters memory of traveling.

I'm willing to accept that for most any other area transition since they're pretty easy to ignore unless you scrutinize them hard - they feel like they're just fudging distance. That specific one feels just really awkward, they could have done anything else, like a tunnel or make the elevator go down. I thought it was a deliberately nonsensical transition to suggest the world was some serious kind of messed up, but the later parts of the game don't exactly have quite the same level of weird transitions, if that makes any sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I'm willing to accept that for most any other area transition since they're pretty easy to ignore unless you scrutinize them hard - they feel like they're just fudging distance. That specific one feels just really awkward, they could have done anything else, like a tunnel or make the elevator go down. I thought it was a deliberately nonsensical transition to suggest the world was some serious kind of messed up, but the later parts of the game don't exactly have quite the same level of weird transitions, if that makes any sense?

I get what your saying, I guess I just care less and can accept "spacey wasey" as an explanation.

Don't get me wrong I was pissed a the ankle high wall stopping my progress near the Winter Shrine warp. Now that will take me out of the loving immersion.