Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

regardless it shouldnt be possible to punish 99% of the moves in the game on reaction. that's simply bad design

i dont even know where to begin with this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like how everyone shouts things in their native language with some good voice lines.

Then you revive a teammate and you hear Steve the intern say in english "Thanks for that"

You're welcome, Steve.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

i dont even know where to begin with this post

anywhere is a start

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I mean it's only two sentences.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

anywhere is a start

learn how to feint and use mixup attacks. half of any fighting game is learning how to get into your opponent's head and know what they're going to do before they do it and reacting to it. That's How Fighting Games Work

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like how everyone shouts things in their native language with some good voice lines.

Then you revive a teammate and you hear Steve the intern say in english "Thanks for that"

I changed the voice language to japanese. I picked up a peacekeeper yesterday and all she said was "sugoi"

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I genuinely love that the Lawbringer is a walking fortress but his voiceacting makes him sound like a nerd in gym class.

EDIT: How the hell do you all chat? I still haven't figured it out :downs:

Press tab after bringing up the chat window.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5tz9z8/the_lawbringer_needs_to_be_fixed_heres_a_rundown/

quote:

Let me start off by saying that I was rather excited for the Lawbringer. I also had 50 hours on the beta and was a Rep 3 Warden. I like to think I was rather good at the game. I'd like to bring a consolidation of info about the Lawbringer to Ubisoft's attention.
I've spent the last two hours against level 3 bots trying to figure out how the Lawbringer is supposed to work. The conclusion I (and a few others I've seen) have come to is that he simply does NOT work.
His true combo confirms are basically nonexistent. So far, the only 100% guarantees I've found are: 1) Parry into Light Attack, which does poo poo damage. Fantastic reward for a parry. 2) Guard break into throw against a wall, into heavy. Cool, the same thing every other character can do. (This one is shaky as well, it seems to depend on which stance you try to heavy from.)
That's it. His shove starts chains but does not get any hits in. Even shove into light attack does not work.
Mixup game is a pleasant thought, but his attacks are so horrendously slow that anybody could simply block, if not have the easiest parry of their life. On top of that, his moves require so much stamina that trying to use attack cancels (feints) is pretty much a one-time deal and then you're in the grey.
His unblockables (of which he can do in any direction) have a mediocre startup time and move slow as well, meaning they are just as easily dodged or parried as the rest of his kit.
I suppose he would make a great environment killer with his push-charge, shove, Long Arm (picks the target up and puts them on the ground behind him) and normal GB throws. However, if that is the only avenue a character has, something is wrong. Requiring an environmental factor to be able to compete is bad balancing. Plus, I don't know about you guys, but I would get tired after a handful of wins by pushing people off cliffs.
I read a post from a fellow redditor here that the level 3 Lawbringer bots "really show you what they are capable of with a mixup game" so I went to test it. I played several rounds against the Lawbringer at level 3 with my Warden and.... he's garbage. He is just too slow. Plain and simple.
The only thing I see him being useful as is a noobstomper, against inexperienced players who will panic at the sight of an unblockable, not know that you can parry them, or be bad at tech'ing a guardbreak.
I would greatly appreciate input on this, especially if somebody can prove me wrong. I think they look super badass and I would love to main them, but as it stands, they are just too bad to be taken seriously.
Edits: Formatting is a mess
Edit 2: Upon testing due to a comment, it appears that Guardbreak confirms into heavy attack. Few trials performed.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Can I just say the first story mission is real weird

black stone legion bro posted:

"gently caress your castle! we're gonna kill all y'all and presumably take your poo poo!

ok ok we'll just settle this like men

ok ok we'll have some other men settle this for us, like men

alright, that was a pretty good settling, so instead of your castle,

we'll take your man?"

so the whole siege was just a big recruitment drive?? :confused:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minorkos posted:

regardless it shouldnt be possible to punish 99% of the moves in the game on reaction. that's simply bad design

So street fighter is a bad game because a good player can combo a bad player into oblivion? :confused:

Just give it a little time for the skill matchmaking to figure out everybody's ELO and then you'll get matched with people on your level and it'll be cool. New game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

mellowjournalism posted:

That's...literally the entire point of the knights campaign. I only just started the vikings but Apollyon's entire point is to recruit the best and most vicious fighters and bring out the best of those in her enemies. She' wants the strongest warriors to fight in essentially eternal war.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mellowjournalism posted:

It kiiiinda makes sense. They're trying to unite the knights factions so they can war on other factions.

The guy shows up to capture the castle and the army, he finds the army weak and the leader a joke, and since he got the one good knight (you) he figures that's plenty anyways.

But it is a bit contrived. Why not take the soldiers too? IDK. Honor!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

learn how to feint and use mixup attacks. half of any fighting game is learning how to get into your opponent's head and know what they're going to do before they do it and reacting to it. That's How Fighting Games Work

feinting doesn't actually really work. the feint comes out so early that you can just check the animation in case it's a real attack. not to mention you can just block through feints if you aren't sure. light attacks are also parryable on reaction except for like 2 attacks on warden and you cant even feint those.

mixup attacks in this game are too slow and telegraphed. they can be reacted to.

mindgames are different from pure reaction. you dont need to know what your opponent is about to do when you can just react

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lmao

Turns out: the "hear the tale" thing on my 1st mission was bugged. No audio played and hitting square did nothing so I thought it was for disabling the in-game voiceover or something :lol:

Then I got to mission 2, the audio and button worked fine there, so I went back to mission 1 and heard apollyon's rant.

welp

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

feinting doesn't actually really work.

it works fine. its not meant to be an "Ha, I fooled you, I win!" button; it is simply meant to mix up what you're doing to keep the opponent guessing. The entire point is to get them to guess wrong and take advantage of it.

Minorkos posted:

mixup attacks in this game are too slow and telegraphed. they can be reacted to.

I welcome you to attempt reacting consistently to the PK or Orochi mixups. Not sure about the others but you are 100% wrong about being able to deal with those every time.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Does anyone know yet if there's a reward for getting all the Observation points in the story missions, I haven't managed to get all in a single mission yet let alone all in a campaign

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Minorkos posted:

feinting doesn't actually really work. the feint comes out so early that you can just check the animation in case it's a real attack. not to mention you can just block through feints if you aren't sure. light attacks are also parryable on reaction except for like 2 attacks on warden and you cant even feint those.

mindgames are different from pure reaction. you dont need to know what your opponent is about to do when you can just react

I think they should introduce chip damage to blocked attacks or maybe have blocks drain stamina and blocks while out of stam do a little damage. Still, it's not so simple as you say. If it is so easy to just react then every match would end in a draw with no damage done to either side. I'm interested to see a few high level tournaments happen to give Ubi some more feedback on balance.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imo we should put longbows and crossbows in Duel, this will really mix up the meta

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any reliable timing to landing the Shugoki's embrace off a knock-down? If you do it as soon as possible, you just flail on top of them and accomplish nothing. If you wait until they start to stand up you can land it, but I've had people dodge away during that time. Is it something I should just stop trying to do or is there a timing I can learn to always land it?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I played the deathmatch mode and went 12-2 and felt like a real badass.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Indecisive posted:

Does anyone know yet if there's a reward for getting all the Observation points in the story missions, I haven't managed to get all in a single mission yet let alone all in a campaign

There's gotta be something, if only some bonus steel. They went out of their way to add some collectibles so I bet there is. I haven't seen anything that says it requires it though so probably just steel or an achievement.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What I really love is that if someone ragequits in the middle of match they get replaced by a bot that will be at full health even if you were executing that player when they dropped.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

"I suppose it could make a decent defense/counter class, but that can't be right. I was a Warden - being an aggressive attacker is clearly the way the game is meant to be played."

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

DrBox posted:

I think they should introduce chip damage to blocked attacks or maybe have blocks drain stamina and blocks while out of stam do a little damage. Still, it's not so simple as you say. If it is so easy to just react then every match would end in a draw with no damage done to either side. I'm interested to see a few high level tournaments happen to give Ubi some more feedback on balance.

Blocked heavies already do chip damage. Half the point of parrying is that it prevents that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

"I suppose it could make a decent defense/counter class, but that can't be right. I was a Warden - being an aggressive attacker is clearly the way the game is meant to be played."

i am rank 10 on my first prestige on lawbringer. just because he's supposed to be a defense/counter class doesn't mean he's actually good at it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

a defensive class that is labeled as a counter-attacker and disabler? No way reddit!

Although i can kinda agree that if you're playing against sombody that is super passive you're gonna have a hard time being the initiator as everything you do is super slow and you don't have any kind of armor on any moves except sometimes the shove? I'm not sure how that happens.

Although what i've found is that if sombody is being super defense that is when you switch over to the Conqueror and beat their face in with a mace and and shield for being so cowardly :black101:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Lawbringer struggles against offensive player too, though. Nothing in his kit allows him to confirm a heavy, unless he throws someome into a wall. Anybody can do that. And, even when he does, his strongest heavy only hits for 30, making him one of the weaker characters in the game.

The only counter-atracking he can really do right now is with his weaksauce lights, and again, anybody can do that. Yeah he can use unblockables after a parry but they're slow and terrible.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

it works fine. its not meant to be an "Ha, I fooled you, I win!" button; it is simply meant to mix up what you're doing to keep the opponent guessing. The entire point is to get them to guess wrong and take advantage of it.

The mix-up doesn't really work if the opponent doesn't need to guess at all. As I said, you can react to the mix-up by just blocking in the direction of the new incoming attack. It's well within human reaction times to do reliably.

panda clue posted:

I welcome you to attempt reacting consistently to the PK or Orochi mixups. Not sure about the others but you are 100% wrong about being able to deal with those every time.

It's not me playing, but here

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121546322

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Does anyone know when reviews will be out for this? Having a hard time figuring out if this is worth the money or not to dive in and wasn't able to play in the beta(s).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sc0tty posted:

Does anyone know when reviews will be out for this? Having a hard time figuring out if this is worth the money or not to dive in and wasn't able to play in the beta(s).

I got my review copy absurdly loving late and I assume that's true of a lot of people so barring someone rushing through it (which isn't good for a multiplayer-only game) I'd say a day or two minimum.

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

sc0tty posted:

Even after playing the last beta I'm unsure whether to buy it or not. A mix of unexpected errors, hosts dropping finishing the match and constant pauses due to other players leaving kinda soured the experience. It's a shame because the actual gameplay was really fun!

(Also fuuuuck who ever designed the ui/menus)

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Anyone have tips on how to follow up with valkyries Shield Bash (Dodge away + middle button). having problems following up and doing damage, my attacks seem to miss.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

So street fighter is a bad game because a good player can combo a bad player into oblivion? :confused:

Just give it a little time for the skill matchmaking to figure out everybody's ELO and then you'll get matched with people on your level and it'll be cool. New game.

Well if you look at Street Fighter frame data and stuff, you'll find that there are moves with like 5 frame start-ups, meaning a human being cannot react to them since a human being has a reaction time of about 0,25 seconds and the move is about 0,08 seconds (which is a smaller number than 0,25 seconds)

In comparison, and now I don't have the frame data for this, the start-up for an Orochi light attack is probably like 25-30 frames, which is a lot more and is within the human ability to react to

Also I don't want to play the game if it's centered around a game of "who's the dumbass who attacks first" because that sounds like a boring game

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 14, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Minorkos posted:

Also I don't want to play the game if it's centered around a game of "who's the dumbass who attacks first" because that sounds like a boring game

I can assure you that you will never reach the skill level where this is actually the case, if it even exists.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

There's gotta be something, if only some bonus steel. They went out of their way to add some collectibles so I bet there is. I haven't seen anything that says it requires it though so probably just steel or an achievement.

There are some head ornaments that are unlocked with the observables.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So is this games single player just bot matches with cutscenes, or is there more to it?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I can assure you that you will never reach the skill level where this is actually the case, if it even exists.

I personally, quite literally, encountered a Conquerer player who did nothing but block, parry and guard break cancel all my stuff on reaction during the open beta. I was unable to attack him because of this aforementioned fact. Then he would punish me on a successful parry whenever I used one of my lovely slow light attacks as a Kensei. I suppose I could have played his game and just reacted to his attacks, but sadly he did not attack so that strategy would have led to a time-out and I think if the correct way to play the game leads to a time-out then something is probably wrong

I can appreciate you subtly calling me poo poo at this game, I do enjoy a bit of trash talk every now and then, but it's really not outside the realm of possibility to get into a skill level where people utilize the blocking mechanic correctly

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So is this games single player just bot matches with cutscenes, or is there more to it?

There is more to it in the literal sense but not really in the value sense.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

a defensive class that is labeled as a counter-attacker and disabler? No way reddit!

Although i can kinda agree that if you're playing against sombody that is super passive you're gonna have a hard time being the initiator as everything you do is super slow and you don't have any kind of armor on any moves except sometimes the shove? I'm not sure how that happens.

Although what i've found is that if sombody is being super defense that is when you switch over to the Conqueror and beat their face in with a mace and and shield for being so cowardly :black101:

The main issue is that for a counterattacker, his counters are pretty bad. After a Parry, all he gets for sure is a single light hit that does less damage than his regular light attacks. Virtually all characters get that out of a parry, and many can get a free guardbreak as well. His other parry-counters are functionally useless because their windup is measured in glacial eras. The shove is alright, but also only leads into a singular light attack and nothing else. It's good at draining stamina, but you've got very little to actually press the advantage once the enemy is out of stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Minorkos posted:

Well if you look at Street Fighter frame data and stuff, you'll find that there are moves with like 5 frame start-ups, meaning a human being cannot react to them since a human being has a reaction time of about 0,25 seconds and the move is about 0,08 seconds (which is a smaller number than 0,25 seconds)

In comparison, and now I don't have the frame data for this, the start-up for an Orochi light attack is probably like 25-30 frames, which is a lot more and is within the human ability to react to

One huge sort of caveat to your argument is that, in the video you linked, the guy who was recording the video was an Orochi, a counterattack character who a lot of people have complained about being just autoattack machines without a really strong gimmick skill. Other characters have unblockable attacks and attacks that when they connect with a guard break can be comboed into attacks that you can't parry. He was also attacking at a really slow rate and not really bothering to combo. Actually, the guy guard broke the defender a couple times but didn't really continue trying that strategy and just sort of attacked aimlessly for a a while

In an actual game, aggression is usually key. 99% of my kills against the assassin units like Peacemakers and Orochi are when they don't expect me to go on the offensive and I'll just catch them mid-attack until they die over and over