Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It is me. It is me and my hunger for almonds that is killing California, sorry moridin.

Though I fully support desalination plants, turn some of that undrinkable ocean into something useful :boobeer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I think it was never or poorly maintained and the recent storms has lead it to being very full. so now we are using backup runoff paths to make the dam less full but those are also poorly maintained and we still have too much water anyways. and its going to storm starting wednesday.

Could have been prevented id imagine but you cant expect the us government to spend money on infrastructure when we could spend that money on the military

you are funny

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Snark posted:

Reflection of the sun in the water, it's okay you don't recognize it, they are things unfamiliar to most goons.

this is an accurate statement that i can find no fault or argue with

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EorayMel posted:

It is me. It is me and my hunger for almonds that is killing California, sorry moridin.

Though I fully support desalination plants, turn some of that undrinkable ocean into something useful :boobeer:

Desalination plants seems like one of those ideas that would have been implemented as soon as they were available. Then again, I'm from a city that reversed the flow of a river so we could literally flush our poo poo and garbage into the south suburbs.

:boom:CHICAGO POLITICS!:boom:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Desalination plants seems like one of those ideas that would have been implemented as soon as they were available. Then again, I'm from a city that reversed the flow of a river so we could literally flush our poo poo and garbage into the south suburbs.

:boom:CHICAGO POLITICS!:boom:

They are incredibly expensive and energy intensive, compared to pretty much any other method of getting water to a place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s cheaper to just buy the alfalfa growers’ water, but cities aren’t actually that desperate. :ssh:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i wish silicon valley was about to get wiped out

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

They are incredibly expensive and energy intensive, compared to pretty much any other method of getting water to a place.

True but they are a good emergency tool for when other methods are boned because of a drought or something.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Moridin920 posted:

I think if you come here and start laughing about how CA sucks because of that dam situation you'll not find very many amenable people in general, esp considering we bleed away federal tax money like a mofo to fund places like Kansas. Funny how that works.

Sheesh Mordy pump your brakes with the regionalism this is America

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

its a float barrier hth

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Is it possiuble that scores of nu-metal bands predicted this impending disaster in their somgs about getting close to edges and breaking?? Is this collapse foretold by the gods of rock?

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Tony Snark posted:

Dudes, chicks, and dudes pretend to be chicks, from coasts, the prairie belt, the bayou, or the badlands, I present a compromise.

gently caress Bakersfield.
This for real though. High rates of crime, illiteracy, alcoholism, obesity, ozone particulates, police homicide, and meth usage.
But hey at least we have Buck loving Owens, a middling minor league hockey team, and a weed dispensary on every block where it's legal.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
free cowboy hat night as the bakersfield condors take on the stockton thunder!!!!!

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

the great deceiver posted:

free cowboy hat night as the bakersfield condors take on the stockton thunder!!!!!

Bakersfield is so fat and lovely that we were a test market for the dorito taco.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i was in prison in Taft and when they released me to the greyhound station in Bakersfield i begged to go back

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Israel had the whole desalination thing on lock already

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Bakersfield is so retarded that they hosed up a controlled demolition of an old steam power plant and made a spectator lose his leg.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sacramento update: still not drowned

Is california still a great state with terrible residents?

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

The city motto for Bakersfield is "Life as it Should Be"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

boner confessor posted:

WARNING: THIS AREA CONTAINS CHEMICALS KNOWN BY THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER

Yeah what's up with that? Every time I buy cast iron plates there is a sticker saying that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:D

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm curious how that looks now since they've been blasting it for two days straight at 100,000cfs, twice the amount that caused that hole to double in size.

naem
May 29, 2011

are we all dead yet

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah what's up with that? Every time I buy cast iron plates there is a sticker saying that.

California is the cancer of our society so they know a thing or two about it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CA is cool and good you fuckmen

Except for Bakersfield. Which is still better than half the country because it has lots of good mexican food

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rah! posted:

CA is cool and good you fuckmen

Except for Bakersfield. Which is still better than half the country because it has lots of good mexican food

also Lancaster

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Bakersfield is so backwards that a school board trustee assaulted someone who was protesting the same sex marriage ban.

He did not lose his job.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Riverbend Park

Marysville Cemetary

MageMage fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 15, 2017

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i want to be killed by water

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i want to be killed by water

You should move to California. Water is substance known by the state of California to cause cancer.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

MageMage posted:

Marysville Cemetary

That cemetery floods almost every time it rains more than an inch.

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sacramento update: still not drowned

God dammit

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
As a Californian who grew up in the arid wastes of the southern end of the state, my position is the almonds are worth every drop of water wrung from the needy.

I really like almonds.

Like, a lot.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

The Cubelodyte posted:

As a Californian who grew up in the arid wastes of the southern end of the state, my position is the almonds are worth every drop of water wrung from the needy.

I really like almonds.

Like, a lot.

:yeah:

Do we have a kool aid emote yet? I feel like we should really have one.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SACRIMENTO ES THO BEGGIST CETY AN THI WAST

It's Sacramento you fuckin nugget

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ruggan posted:

SACRIMENTO ES THO BEGGIST CETY AN THI WAST

It's Sacramento you fuckin nugget

nugget is a cool grocery store

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
The evacuation has been put on standby and people are returning to their homes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Good just in time for the drat dam to fail and send those assholes to their damnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
They fixed Folsom dam a couple of years ago when they realized that it would kill like a bazillion people if it failed. Maybe the potentially dead people in front of Oroville are less valuable.

• Locked thread