Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

eames posted:

I just found out where all the Mac Pro R&D money went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RInsFIWl-Q

:smith:

In case dragon's den wasn't bad enough here's the one with just apps, the worst of the investment things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the cpu and the memory are both under the area you are pressing on, as well as a bunch of connectors from other components covered up with soft pads. you are either hearing the case make contact with those pads or the heat sinks on the memory/cpu. its not something i would worry about tbh but i wouldn't recommend applying pressure to the area

i would use iStats or something to check CPU and RAM temperature if you feel it might be affecting performance, if they're unusually hot one of the heat sinks may have shifted out of place maybe?

BobHoward posted:

Not likely.

Take a look at the pictures in step 3 of any of iFixit's guides for your computer:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2015+AirPort+Board+Replacement/55921

You're hearing some noise from the two clips that attach the center area of the bottom case to the upper case / frame. Although you can't see this in the pictures, the upper case clips can wiggle around in their mountings by about 1mm, presumably to help them self align when assembling the bottom case to the computer. This lets them make some audible noise when you do stuff like what you're doing in the video.

Some noises from these are worth taking action on. If you push on your bottom case like that and hear the tabs popping into the clips when you apply pressure, and out again when you release, you very likely have a bulging battery that should be replaced. Happened to me, took the computer to an Apple Store, got a free out of warranty battery replacement (because they regard bulging batteries within 3 years of purchase as a manufacturing defect).

However, from your video, you don't have that. The popping noise is quite audible and sharp compared to those little creaks.

Thanks for the replies! Checked system temperatures over the last day and even video rendering didn't push it above 62°C (144°F), so all is fine. Won't apply pressure to the bottom and will hope this computer will stay with me for a long time because otherwise it's amazing. There's still 2.5 years of AppleCare on it, so I should be fine anyway.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Krispy Kareem posted:

They sell a lot of 3rd party items in their store. If it's a cable and it's Apple certified then that technically is a partnership,

it's not just a third party item. it is a partnership collaboration between apple and LG to create a monitor specifically designed for this gen's macbook pro.

try searching for these monitors on a non-Apple, non-LG site. You can't because it's pretty much an exclusive partnership between the two companies to build out this monitor.

quote:

but they're still going to refer you to the manufacturer with hardware issue questions.
except my whole point is that apple hasn't even said that? they are essentially pretending nothing is wrong and directing their customers to just go to the website to order it.

quote:

I get it, it's not like there are a whole lot of monitors that can connect directly to the new MBT's and if you're spending that much money on a product in their store, they should probably know if it's going to work properly with your brand new laptop. Perhaps LG has some kind of agreement with Apple not to talk about the issue while they work it out.

LG already said there was a problem.

My issue is not that these monitors have problems. It's that Apple has said nothing about the issue while continuing to "sell" them without making any announcement that there may be problems with the actual monitor and not because they're backordered.

eames posted:

Gwyneth Paltrow? What's her advice? Sell $15000 gold dildos?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

SourKraut posted:

FWIW I have the 2012 MacMini i7 2.3, with 16 GB so the HD4000 is maxed out on potential RAM assigned for use as VRAM and I can't get it to support 3440x1440 at 60 Hz on my Dell U3415W. It will only go up to 50 Hz PAL on it which gives me headaches when I try to use it. I've read that if you have a Thunderbolt-equipped 3440x1440p monitor than the HD4000 can go to 60 Hz but that's the only way. LG is the only company making monitors that are TB-equipped at that resolution.

The hilarious part is that we also have a 2011 MacMini 2.7 i7 (dual core) with the Radeon 6630m with a dedicated 256 MB of VRAM and it can output to the U3415W at 60 Hz and 3440x1440. It's pretty frustrating.
That's unfortunate. I had read reports of the 50 Hz issue but was hoping it was user error since the tech specs list support for 2x 2560x1600, but that must only be when using thunderbolt monitors. I guess this rules out the 2012 mini.

FCKGW posted:

2009+ Mac Pro IMO. Can be had for reasonable prices and still drat fast.

SourKraut posted:

Anyway I'd second what FCKGW said - really consider picking up a 2009 4.1 Mac Pro or a 2010/2012 5.1 Mac Pro if you can get a good price. The nice thing about the 2009 4.1 is that it can be flashed to a 5.1 which lets you install hexcore processors and supports faster RAM. I flashed mine, put a X5690 in it (3.46 6-core i7), upgraded it to 24 GB RAM and put a GTX 980 in it, and the machine handles anything I can throw at it. Sure it doesn't have Thunderbolt, but you can put an expansion card with USB 3.0 in it, cards with 3.1 that are supported are now available too, and it's still a great machine.
I didn't even consider an older Pro as an option, but now I'm intrigued. The ability to use a modern desktop GPU and more than 16GB of RAM, both without paying the Apple Tax, sounds great. However, from what I can tell, a top spec 6-core Pro (or upgrading to a X5690) is only around high clock mobile SandyBridge i7 levels in single core workloads and mid clock mobile Haswell i7 levels in cases when all 6 cores can be used. Given the cost of purchasing a top spec MP or upgrading a lower spec MP to a X5690 (and also considering I'd probably want or need to upgrade the graphics card, hard drive and maybe RAM), why not look for a Late 2013 15" rMBP? It's faster CPU wise, has a PCIe SSD (looks like the MPs only have SATAII), USB3/TB2 and has the added bonus of being able to be used as a laptop. While the graphics wouldn't be as good as what I'd put in a MP, it should be more than sufficient for driving 3440x1440 for my use cases, no? Am I underestimating the MP CPUs or the benefits of using more than 16 GB of RAM?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple also licensed Carpool Karaoke from James Corden. They recorded 10 episodes and each one is 30 minutes long. Just end the world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Splinter posted:

Given the cost of purchasing a top spec MP or upgrading a lower spec MP to a X5690 (and also considering I'd probably want or need to upgrade the graphics card, hard drive and maybe RAM), why not look for a Late 2013 15" rMBP? It's faster CPU wise, has a PCIe SSD (looks like the MPs only have SATAII), USB3/TB2 and has the added bonus of being able to be used as a laptop. While the graphics wouldn't be as good as what I'd put in a MP, it should be more than sufficient for driving 3440x1440 for my use cases, no? Am I underestimating the MP CPUs or the benefits of using more than 16 GB of RAM?

CPU comparison sounds about right.

You can put PCIe SSD and USB 3 card in the MP, but if you don’t need graphics performance (and the MP has a massive lead there), MBP is a reasonable alternative.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

eames posted:

This is legitimately loving terrible. Will.I.Am – seriously?

Edit: Also it looks like the kind of lovely show that's going to be full of American jumpcuts and sound effects. Not even British documentary standard of programming. Christ.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple should invest that money into not making their music discovery absolutely poo poo in Apple Music. I generally like the app but it is TERRIBLE for telling you an artist you might be interested in has a new release. WHY doesn't it allow you to set up Notifications?!

I love it being integrated into all my Mac stuff but compared to Spotify, the discovery aspect is still crap.

Stop spending money on loving James Cordon and sort out your apps!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
iTunes has this terrible bug on my system where loading anything from the Store takes forever. It’s nearly a fresh install on a brand new machine.

I would attempt to troubleshoot it, but gently caress iTunes and the iTunes Store. Not worth it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh my god yeah, I tried to download a podcast from my desktop and the store literally took minutes to load.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh my god yeah, I tried to download a podcast from my desktop and the store literally took minutes to load.

Well at least I’m not alone and it might be fixed in a software update.

I saw it wasn’t pegging the CPU, disk, or network. Console turns up some cryptic hints but nothing relevant in the first page of Google results. That’s when I gave up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EconOutlines posted:

I bought it from a great goon off of SA-MART, and its been nothing but great. IIRC correctly, the battery was replaced in March of last year before AppleCare ran out. $200 for a new battery seems a bit steep at this point though. Either that or gamble with Amazon with one that'll make my laptop explode.

I was going to say 80% sounds right for being a 2012 or 13 but that battery isn't even 2 years old yet. Do you run it down to 2% all the time or something?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple also licensed Carpool Karaoke from James Corden. They recorded 10 episodes and each one is 30 minutes long. Just end the world.

Apple needs to find some Game of Thrones-like property and dump a whole pile of money into it like that stack the Joker sets fire to in Dark Knight. That's how you start producing your own content. Not cheap reality shows about apps.

NetFlix started with a few smaller niche things like Arrested Development and a 3rd season of that mermaid show (I have daughters). But it went very quickly into House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. And even with all their new stuff, Netflix is still only spending a couple of billion a year on original content. That's a rounding error for Apple.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i had a feeling apple might go into tv shows but lol there's courage and then there's foolishness

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Anyone who expected Apple's first show to not just be a showcase for their own products was being naive :haw:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Edit: Definitely the wrong thread, sorry

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 14, 2017

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Khablam posted:

Anyone who expected Apple's first show to not just be a showcase for their own products was being naive :haw:

Hmm yes *nods grey-forumsly*

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

At least give us a sitcom that takes place in circa 2005 Apple HQ.

"gently caress EVERYONE HERE IN THEIR loving gently caress HOLES!"

"That's so Jobs!"

<laugh track>

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

At least give us a sitcom that takes place in circa 2005 Apple HQ.

"gently caress EVERYONE HERE IN THEIR loving gently caress HOLES!"

"That's so Jobs!"

<laugh track>

OMG this. Jobs and his epic loving holes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I might be mistaken but I think the refurb of this was only going for maybe $100 less...you think this is a good buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-13-3...7UAAOSwo4pYYv5T

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Khablam posted:

For a company that sells a "premium" product that sure is a rather non-premium level thing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, talk about a zero-innovation product. gently caress's sake. Needs more pretentious, heavily-accented Jony Ive voiceover explaining why it's the best reality show ever created.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh, farts. My 2011 Pro has succumbed to that graphical issue and won't boot up - a tidy 45 days after the repair program ended :(

Hopefully the Fruit Stand will take pity and do me a solid anyway. Welp that's my story.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Solved the issue of not being able to connect my 12" Retina MacBook to my 27" Apple Cinema Display: Sold the fucker for $350 on Craigslist and then bought an Acer 27" 2560x1440 monitor and it connects with the Apple adapter over HDMI.

Now, my Lenovo T450S needs a mini-DisplayPort adapter to connect to the Acer
:lol:

drat you Apple, turning the tables on me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

TACD posted:

Oh, farts. My 2011 Pro has succumbed to that graphical issue and won't boot up - a tidy 45 days after the repair program ended :(

Hopefully the Fruit Stand will take pity and do me a solid anyway. Welp that's my story.

Doubtful as they seem to be making a habit of sticking to policy these days. My 13-inch 2013 rMBP had its logic board die literally six days out of a bought AppleCare warranty just a few weeks ago and they thoughtfully charged me the $450 flat rate to replace it despite bringing up the relative closeness of the date, how I was always one of their best customers, etc. Not saying you won't get helped, but I wouldn't go into any Fruit Stand, especially non-US, and expect leniency as far as time limits are concerned.

Guess they were getting dinged by the bean counters that playing fast and loose with warranty terms was costing Apple money.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I was going to say 80% sounds right for being a 2012 or 13 but that battery isn't even 2 years old yet. Do you run it down to 2% all the time or something?

No, I've own it for maybe 4 months now and Lee it plugged in the majority of the time because it tends to lose charge at a very fast rate. I'd say at the most I'll let it get to half a charge before plugging it in. I received it with ~193 cycles.

Battery use I definitely have to turn down the brightness to a minimum and usually exit textual to extend it to 4.5 hours estimate on via istat.

Should I pony up for an Apple replacement, go for a recommended 3rd party or just deal with it? :shrug:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

Guess they were getting dinged by the bean counters that playing fast and loose with warranty terms was costing Apple money.
Wow, that stinks :( I wasn't hopeful anyway as I imagine T+30 days would be the hard limit on that sort of grace period, but if they're dicking around when you're less then a week over then Apple really has changed.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

TACD posted:

Wow, that stinks :( I wasn't hopeful anyway as I imagine T+30 days would be the hard limit on that sort of grace period, but if they're dicking around when you're less then a week over then Apple really has changed.

They did me a solid recently on a rMBP battery that was either 2 years or a few days out of warranty (depending on how you look at it), so it still doesn't hurt to ask.

(It was 2 years past the official 1 year warranty period, but only a few days past the end of a 3 year policy of replacing batteries deemed to have failed due to a manufacturing defect rather than age or wear. I was unaware of this policy before taking the computer in, or I'd have made the trip a week or two earlier, but the Genius gave it to me anyways. So they do still have some room to help out. Over 30 days probably is a bit of a stretch though.)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TACD posted:

Dunno if this helps at all but if you bought it later you may still be okay.

Apple posted:

The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until December 31, 2016 or four years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I doubt many 11's were sold in Jan/Feb 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bob Morales posted:

I doubt many 11's were sold in Jan/Feb 2013

It was up on the refurb store well into 2013 I believe.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i had a feeling apple might go into tv shows but lol there's courage and then there's foolishness

Apple and original content will go about as well as Apple making a social network did. They just don't have the culture to make it happen.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone else here have a Vertical Henge Dock and is it a POS like mine?

I bought this thing a while ago and while it's been more or less consistent up till now every now and then I'd plug my laptop in and it flat-out just won't work. It's gotten worse recently and now I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance when I put my computer in to it in the morning that I'll have take out a pair of pliers and the hex key type thing to adjust the level of the magsafe connector so that it works.

This was not the all in one docking solution I was hoping for :negative:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

8ender posted:

Apple and original content will go about as well as Apple making a social network did. They just don't have the culture to make it happen.

They could buy an entire culture but still don't. They're weirdly selective about what they spend money on.

Apple wanted a music-oriented social network but didn't buy myspace. myspace is a joke nowadays, but they could've got it for next-to-nothing and saved the Ping embarrassment. They then went on to do the Apple Music thing years after Spotify dominated that space.

Apple wants to be a content platform, but seems to spend next-to-nothing on it. I don't know why they didn't show up with an aluminium dumptruck full of money to one of the many streaming services that are floundering. Instead they bought what amounts to a popular youtube series. Weird, small choice.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Really looking forward to the new season of Silicon Valley taking on this abortion.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

They could buy an entire culture but still don't. They're weirdly selective about what they spend money on.

Apple wanted a music-oriented social network but didn't buy myspace. myspace is a joke nowadays, but they could've got it for next-to-nothing and saved the Ping embarrassment. They then went on to do the Apple Music thing years after Spotify dominated that space.

Apple wants to be a content platform, but seems to spend next-to-nothing on it. I don't know why they didn't show up with an aluminium dumptruck full of money to one of the many streaming services that are floundering. Instead they bought what amounts to a popular youtube series. Weird, small choice.

I like to believe if/when the U.S. offers a tax holiday on corporate profits that Apple brings in all it's billions banked overseas and just goes to town.

If they want to get into the content business, they need to own a content provider/license holder. All the major networks are taken, but they could buy a second-tier cable network or take a channel or two off Time Warner. A movie studio might work, but I don't think they have the kind of profit margins or risk Apple likes.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Entropy238 posted:

Does anyone else here have a Vertical Henge Dock and is it a POS like mine?
I used to have one for a Macbook Air and I am currently typing this on my Macbook Pro docked in one, and it has always suited my needs :discourse:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Strong Sauce posted:

Gwyneth Paltrow? What's her advice? Sell $15000 gold dildos?
Steamed clams.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Chris Knight posted:

Steamed clams.

I have to admit to laughing WAY too hard at this. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Trip report: Mac Mini (late 2012) moving from stock HDD (5200 RPM 500GB) replaced with a SSD (Western Digital 500GB): been using it here and there for a couple weeks now. It's like a new computer. I cannot understate how much of a usability improvement this has made on an old system.

When OS X loaded up it initially took about 15 seconds to render all the image thumbnails for the icons on my desktop, with the SSD it does it in about 2 seconds.

Total boot time (including jamming in my password and selecting user) dropped from about two minutes to about 30 seconds.

It's too bad it was such a bitch to open up the Mac Mini - lots of small parts, weird screwdriver bits needed, and I couldn't directly restore from Time Machine onto the new drive - I had to install the old OS via the internet, then I upgraded to Sierra, then I loaded everything from Time Machine.

Unless I'm using it for storage/archiving, I don't see myself buying or building a computer with a platter drive ever again.