Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ragman COULD theoretically make the rest of the team obsolete but the show's clearly gone out of its way to sideline him and stay mum about his power limitations, presumably specifically to avoid him outclassing the rest of the team.

Its kind of the same way Legends always seems to send Jax and Stein off on separate missions so that Firestorm is never available to resolve the problem quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

STAC Goat posted:

Its kind of the same way Legends always seems to send Jax and Stein off on separate missions so that Firestorm is never available to resolve the problem quickly.

Yeah, well, they're idiots.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Even when Firestorm is around they just use him to fly around and shoot fireballs

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think he turned a bomb into water once.

Although I feel like I've never once seen or read a Firestorm story that didn't effectively treat him like the Human Torch instead of some dude who does crazy science poo poo I don't truly understand and clearly the writers don't either.

But like, even the Human Torch would resolve most of their small, mid episode issues. Which is why they always have to separate Jax and Stein and come up with an excuse to turn Ray's suit off. Otherwise there'd never be a reason for Mick and Sara to punch people.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I think he turned a bomb into water once.

Although I feel like I've never once seen or read a Firestorm story that didn't effectively treat him like the Human Torch instead of some dude who does crazy science poo poo I don't truly understand and clearly the writers don't either.

But like, even the Human Torch would resolve most of their small, mid episode issues. Which is why they always have to separate Jax and Stein and come up with an excuse to turn Ray's suit off. Otherwise there'd never be a reason for Mick and Sara to punch people.

Mick doesn't need a reason to punch people. If he's not punching enough bad guys he'll just start punching Ray because Mick's not drunk enough for 3pm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a recent interview that explained Thea's absence and its just that they only have Willa on a contract for 14 episodes this season. Also stated was that they don't currently have any plans for Laurel to return.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not quite what he said. They have a story planned but no timetable for it right now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

STAC Goat posted:

Ragman COULD theoretically make the rest of the team obsolete but the show's clearly gone out of its way to sideline him and stay mum about his power limitations, presumably specifically to avoid him outclassing the rest of the team.

Eh, I don't mind how they've handled him -- he doesn't know martial arts or anything, and he's been played as a pretty ordinary guy without any real experience being a soldier or vigilante. He was just some kid who found his dad's magic suit and went out to kill the people he thought were responsible for his death. He's been a weapon for Oliver to direct, but I don't see it as strange that the character that's been portrayed isn't out doing all sorts of crazy things with his suit or showing a ton of initiative on his own. He's a regular dude that's just starting to get used to all this vigilante and magic poo poo, he's not Oliver, or Diggle with his special forces background, or even Wild Dog, who's much more impulsive and seems much more personally driven.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't they say Evil Laurel (she needs a nickname) was going to join the Legion of Doom?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, people just speculated because rumors said she signed a multi-show deal.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Rhyno posted:

(she needs a nickname)

Black Siren

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A FUN NICKNAME

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Rhyno posted:

A FUN NICKNAME

Urban Siren

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Naturally Athletic Siren

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Urban Contemporary Siren.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
she has an extra vocal cord that lets her scream better

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

We all know Tommy Merlyn made her scream more than Oliver.

But... it wasn't RADIOACTIVE

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I wish Prometheus was Tommy but it's not :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bad Moon posted:

Flashpoint Tommy

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rhyno posted:

A FUN NICKNAME

Goth Canary?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

Flashpoint Tommy

Detective whosits is/was Kovar's son.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rocksicles posted:

Detective whosits is/was Kovar's son.

An acceptable alt would be Detective Shivakamini Somakandarkram

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Bad Moon posted:

I don't expect Prometheus to be anyone but the guy they're saying he is in the show, but this is the only exception that's worth it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I have no idea if they're going to stick the landing on a mass shooting episode, but hey, more power to the show for trying.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Hurray! Gun debate!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So Rene doesn't get a locker and just keeps his stuff on a crate?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Dialogue was pretty clunky at times to insert Curtis's and Rene's argument, but overall I thought it was a pretty good episode. Amell did a really good job tonight, I thought, especially during the scene where he talks down Edlund. The Rene flashback stuff was really good, too, actually.

My house's power cut out right after the lady or whoever it was hung up on Rene at the end, so I missed the last four or so minutes, did I miss anything?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

^^^
Curtis is going to help Rene get his daughter back and Ollie gave an inspirational speech.

I would dearly love to know what was in that magic gun control legislation.

Arrow is totally the wrong show to take on gun violence in any serious sort of way, but like I said before, I admire the chutzpah.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sir Potato posted:

Dialogue was pretty clunky at times to insert Curtis's and Rene's argument, but overall I thought it was a pretty good episode. Amell did a really good job tonight, I thought, especially during the scene where he talks down Edlund. The Rene flashback stuff was really good, too, actually.

My house's power cut out right after the lady or whoever it was hung up on Rene at the end, so I missed the last four or so minutes, did I miss anything?

Dinah got the apartment and a job with the SCPD. Curtis is going to help Rene get his daughter back.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Thanks. Nothing super cliffhanger-y, then.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nah, but next week Cupid's back.

Oh man, some of the replies to the show's twitter account are suuuuuper salty right now.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this was a good episode, again, but there was a weird Very Special Episode quality due to that random shooting and the fallout

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The shooting was pretty terrifying because it didn't look like the other action scenes, just a nutbar shooting people, rather than criminals going after Team Arrow.

So how old is Wild Dog? I assumed he was in his 20s but he has a daughter that's like 12?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

The shooting was pretty terrifying because it didn't look like the other action scenes, just a nutbar shooting people, rather than criminals going after Team Arrow.

So how old is Wild Dog? I assumed he was in his 20s but he has a daughter that's like 12?

The actor is 37, which is crazy because he doesn't look anywhere close to that old.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why do they spend so much time training with sticks, when they so rarely fight with sticks?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

The actor is 37, which is crazy because he doesn't look anywhere close to that old.

Holy poo poo really? Crazy. I guess people think i'm way younger than I actually am, but drat. I guess the character acts like an angry kid as well doesn't help.

Man, Digg's arms are massive, serious 24 inch pythons going on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Holy poo poo really? Crazy. I guess people think i'm way younger than I actually am, but drat. I guess the character acts like an angry kid as well doesn't help.

Man, Digg's arms are massive, serious 24 inch pythons going on.

I think Digg and Lance are the only regulars on the show older than him actually.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

howe_sam posted:

I have no idea if they're going to stick the landing on a mass shooting episode, but hey, more power to the show for trying.

I liked that they stopped the episode to have a scene with Team Arrow practically look straight at the camera and ask "Are we being preachy?" and ruminate on the nature of being preachy

Also I feel like it's a plot-hole that Rene was inspired by watching Darhk on TV right after talking to that Social Worker, wasn't the whole city on lockdown at that point?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"We've written a gun control law that doesn't restrict purchase or use."
"Then what does it do?"
"Gives us a way to get out of this political mess of a corner we painted the episode into."

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, I was surprised they had a TV-14 warning before an episode of Good Guy Shoots People, but in context it was handled pretty differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I really like that we saw an episode that was more focused on Oliver as Mayor. I hope we see more of it.

• Locked thread