Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Well, I am now finally a proud owner of Yakuza 1 and 2. I really wish 5 got a physical release to complete that collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Well, I am now finally a proud owner of Yakuza 1 and 2. I really wish 5 got a physical release to complete that collection.

http://www.play-asia.com/ryu-ga-gotoku-5-yume-kanaeshi-mono/13/704vz3

I actually got a poster of the Cover back when I imported mine, when it was impossible to tell if we get Yakuza 5 at all.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

There is absolutely nothing in these games that you can't come back for later, save for a handful of trophy opportunities. You can always come back and complete sidequests whenever you want, nothing gets permanently closed off.

tbf this is not true for all of them. 3 especially, I think it was. But, yeah, 5's fine and I feel like 4 was as well.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
1-3 all have missables or missions you can fail, though like with everything else it's much worse in 1 and 2.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm tempted to pick up the first two just for the historical value of the PS2 games that spawned a franchise that spanned 3/4s the Playstation brand's existence. But I'm definitely getting Kiwami when it comes out. 0 is really goddamn great.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

drat, what was the trick to scouting correctly? I scoured the loving map before going to Odyssey and still didn't get it.

Talk to 3 people on the map and then look at the 4 tables in the club

I don't think you have to look at Mr Libido.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

exploded mummy posted:

I don't think you have to look at Mr Libido.

Why Wouldn't you, though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I know it's a bug with the NPCs but I like how when you talk to Mr libido, people stop turn around and walk the other way

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I'd rather they just Kiwami the whole past 1-5 games into one updated collection. Make loading it up have a special little transition from Kiryu sitting down like he's going to watch a movie.

I've always wanted a sick set that's kinda like a Criterion Collection of Yakuza 0-6.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

http://www.play-asia.com/ryu-ga-gotoku-5-yume-kanaeshi-mono/13/704vz3

I actually got a poster of the Cover back when I imported mine, when it was impossible to tell if we get Yakuza 5 at all.

That's actually a better price than I expected.

Skeezy posted:

I've always wanted a sick set that's kinda like a Criterion Collection of Yakuza 0-6.

This would be pretty amazing. There's still time too.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
"Majima, I need you to get this guy his medicine immediately or he will be in extreme pain."

"I'm going there right now anyway, I'll take it right to him."

*goes fishing for salmon and runs a cabaret club for 3 weeks*

I love the story in this game, and I think it's no joke, one of the most tense and engaging crime dramas I've experienced in any media in a long time. But gently caress, with everything there is to do this is maybe the best example of cognitive dissonance I've seen in a game.

Love it though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It really shows off how lovely the stories for all the other main games are. This is on a whole different level.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Skeezy posted:

I wouldn't even mind if they only just Kiwami/HDize 2 and set the rest in both phsycial and digital versions. I want a Yakuza Papers Collection.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

One question here, since I'm now playing Yakuza 0:
What are the ages of these characters supposed to be?
Did they retcon some of their ages? It says Kiryu's 20 in 1995, but that would mean that he's 13 in Yakuza 0. Maybe the entry was incorrect in the US release?
Also, Reina is the bartender of Serena in 1988 and I felt she was, what, late 20s at youngest? Is she then pushing 50 in 2005?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

JazzFlight posted:

Did they retcon some of their ages? It says Kiryu's 20 in 1995, but that would mean that he's 13 in Yakuza 0. Maybe the entry was incorrect in the US release?
Also, Reina is the bartender of Serena in 1988 and I felt she was, what, late 20s at youngest? Is she then pushing 50 in 2005?

Yes, stuff was retconned.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought Kiryu was always 30 when he went into prison at the start of 1 and then 40 when he came out, which means he's over 50 by 6.

Edit: by anime rules he could totally be a badass gangster by age 13 though, while looking like a 25 year old. But much to my relief the Yakuza series has always dodged stuff like that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 15, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought Kiryu was always 30 when he went into prison at the start of 1 and then 40 when he came out, which means he's over 50 by 6.
That would make more sense. I meant to say I'm playing Y1 now, so I was surprised by the in-game database saying he was 20. Makes more sense why punks call him "old man." I also have to intentionally rename characters in my head when they call Kazama Fuma or call Kiryu by his first name.

Without Y1 spoilers, is there a reason Y0 didn't feature Yumi at all? Like, I'm just learning about her now and feel like she would have been expanded upon in the prequel.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is what I thought too.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

JazzFlight posted:

Kiryu is 21 in 88, which would make him 27 in the intro to yak 1. Majima is 24.

The US releases of 1-3 are full of terrible loc errors and changes in naming schemes and shouldn't be trusted.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is more or less it. 20 at 1988, 27 at 1995 when he's in jail and 37 when he's out. 6 takes place in 2015 or 2016 so 47-48 at the latest. Majima is a few years older than Kiryu so he'd definitely be in the 50's.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The US version said he was 20 when he went to prison? Were they trying to increase the series' anime level for some reason?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

The US version said he was 20 when he went to prison? Were they trying to increase the series' anime level for some reason?

That or another translation mistake. They interchanged Kazama and Fuma a lot too in 1.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Loc in 1-3 was very bad, and was only passable from DS thru 5.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ages are numbers though. You don't have to translate numbers.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Now this is weird. I've collected all the telephone cards and done all of the non-Amon sidequests, but the game says I still have to unlock one more "erotic video."

Edit: Turns out I was just missing the pool lady.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 15, 2017

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

TheLoser posted:

Now this is weird. I've collected all the telephone cards and done all of the non-Amon sidequests, but the game says I still have to unlock one more "erotic video."

Some of the videos come from the women you talk to in stores/restaurants/bars, like at the Vincent bar where you have to play pool three separate times and then she will tell you about golden pool which unlocks her video. If you don't know who the last video is, you can talk to both Mr. Libidos and one of them will tell you who the last erotic video person is.

-------

The upgrade description for Essence of the Beast: Torment always makes me laugh in combination with Kiryu's face.

"When you've decided you can't take any more, dislocate both of the enemy's shoulders, bash their face in, and throw them."

Talk about overreaction.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 15, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Edit: by anime rules he could totally be a badass gangster by age 13 though, while looking like a 25 year old. But much to my relief the Yakuza series has always dodged stuff like that.

The flashback with young Kiryu and Nishiki begging Kazama to let them join is amusingly weird to me precisely because you can tell it's Kiryu's voice actor trying to do this nasally teen voice.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Holy poo poo I'm worse at poker than Koi Koi :psyduck:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

just always go for moon or flower viewing, and koi if you get it really quickly if you're feeling lucky.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
the best dumb thing about this game is the realistic crane game physics.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Should I even bother assigning the higher costing bodyguards in areas I've taken over in the real estate stuff with Kiryu?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Jimbot posted:

Should I even bother assigning the higher costing bodyguards in areas I've taken over in the real estate stuff with Kiryu?

If you've beaten that section's King, you can stop assigning security. Trouble events stop happening once you defeat one.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Jimbot posted:

If you get into a fight in that district, they'll sometimes pop in to help, but otherwise there's no point.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Capsaicin posted:

the best dumb thing about this game is the realistic crane game physics.

A realistic crane game would never have me succeed :saddowns:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Section Z posted:

A realistic crane game would never have me succeed :saddowns:

Yeah, in Yakuza the spring always has full strength grip. I usually get the item first or second try barring physic shenanigans, this would never work in real life

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That crane has a vice grip. From playing those kinds of games in the US the grip the machine would need would be flimsy at best, in order to be realistic.

I don't think I've ever won anything from those kinds of machines. Ever.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Sega console with arms and legs is impossible to grab in the crane games

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, in Yakuza the spring always has full strength grip. I usually get the item first or second try barring physic shenanigans, this would never work in real life

I finally got the Opa-opas (I wanted them on principle :argh:) by taking advantage of videogame physics friction. I'd grab the ones close to the front of the machine and rely on it leaning on the front window as it slid across to the hold.

The rest were more legitimate grabs at least. The fat birds wildly veered between surprisingly easy and incredibly bullshit. "Come on kid, I caught five of these with Kiryu just because. Majima will hook you up in a second-OH MY loving GOD." In hindsight, despite playing a lot of crane game even on my own time I think I still lack the the Full CP completion for total prizes. (I've caught one of everything by now).

Unrelated. Club Moon battle. Silver tier Erranda is legit for party dude Mega-Rich. Don't ignore Silvers if they reach loving 100 skill for your non platinum pinch hitters :stare: Plenty of HP and my preference of praise/gifts meant she was often always ready to go for two-three nights in a row with the big girls.

First try I lost by 1 million ("always be fever" didn't pan out, and they twisted the knife in the last leg by literally instantly immediatly firing off their special attack back to back twice in a row). Second try I still ate a good chunk of attacks, but if I had any full bars I always waited until right before Moon reached a full 3 bars to slam it down. Even ten whole seconds of fever on two tables before they leave makes a difference.

I had to make a note to do it before they used the attack at all. Because it's basically a coinflip if you hammer your fever button after it announces their attack. The first time they did it, I hit fever after and it activated the one bar's worth on tables succesfully. Later, I wasted 3 fever bars and lost all 6 tables because it didn't take for doing it AFTER they attacked despite getting away with it more than once. I would have smashed them rather than have a relatively close win had that stuck.

Evil Eagle posted:

The Sega console with arms and legs is impossible to grab in the crane games
I could USUALLY get them okay, but sometimes if they are basically touching the wall (particularly the back one) then it's just, gently caress. Good thing the sega toys seem to be a common consolation prize from miracle machines to anyone who wants one.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 15, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Maybe I missed something in this game, but I'm having a real difficult time dealing with street patrols in chapter 10 because either half the group is armed with weapons, or they are the guys that are capable of interrupting every attack. If the fight isn't near some bicycles that I can bash people into paste with, I'll burn through 4-5 ToughnessZZ's per fight. I've almost been killed just standing up because 2 guys have readied up charging knife attacks that land as soon as he stands up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CitizenKain posted:

Maybe I missed something in this game, but I'm having a real difficult time dealing with street patrols in chapter 10 because either half the group is armed with weapons, or they are the guys that are capable of interrupting every attack. If the fight isn't near some bicycles that I can bash people into paste with, I'll burn through 4-5 ToughnessZZ's per fight. I've almost been killed just standing up because 2 guys have readied up charging knife attacks that land as soon as he stands up.

I'm just finally entering chapter 10 myself. But if you have not found it yet, there is an Unmarked Tiger and Dragon (And it remains unmarked) in the north west branch of that odd X criss cross alleys area which has the Vacant Lot™ So you can stock up on your own supply of affordable weapons for when the going gets rough. You cant send out agents with Kiryu, but you can Buy/Sell/Repair based on what Majima has unlocked.

I've mostly been avoiding equipable weapons as a point of stubbornness in big plot fights or boss battles (I say "equipable" because of Majima's Mad dog and slugger style. I still :swoon: for slugger even though people can block baseball bats, and I wanted to show Nishki I didn't need a knife). But I drat well make sure I have a good supply of mid tier spicy knives, semi fancy katanas, and nailbats for when I just want to loving END some stubborn assholes in a hurry. Along with whatever random weapon that has the highest durability I can grab is, which tend to be blunt stuff.

Repairs are also much cheaper than buying fresh, and Zero Durability just means it's useless but remains in your inventory

Remember, blunt can't blocked, but cutting attacks can't, so I've gone form ignoring poles to "Hey, THIS pile has a blade on it! gently caress yeah!" once I got one. I THINK spiked weapons like nailbats and spiked sticks can't be? Or I've just not seen people live long enough to try? I just like the nailbats, both on principle and for the fact they have a pleasantly high durability.