Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

WhyteRyce posted:

*is a career sub-42% shooter, shot 33% and 40% the previous 2 seasons* well it goes in

gently caress that I hate his stupid jumper

Let me tell you about a man named Brevin Knight

BK is awesome as a tv announcer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Ibaka got traded because Presti was blowing that poo poo up

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Away all Goats posted:

My only hang up about the Ibaka trade is that didn't he get traded because he wasn't getting enough touches in OKC? Can't imagine Lowry/DeRozan are gonna be moving the ball much more than WB/KD.

But if Ibaka is cool with essentially being a role player again then neat. Assuming this move sends the Raptors to another ECF trip I could see Masai signing everyone back, including max deals for Lowry/Ibaka

Idk if Lowry/DeRozan are going to move the ball more; how are they on the all important prima donna scale?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

chunkles posted:

Ibaka got traded because Presti was blowing that poo poo up

Did Presti know KD was gonna leave then? That trade happened before KD announced he was gonna be a bitch

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Away all Goats posted:

Did Presti know KD was gonna leave then? That trade happened before KD announced he was gonna be a bitch

No way did he know, KD didn't even know.

edit- I think that trade might have ironically backfired for Presti's intentions wanting to bring Oladipo, who was supposedly a KD protege, into the fold and influenced KD even more to leave. Wanda Durant saidthat KD wanted more veterans to push for a title.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 15, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Colangelo hasn't been honest with injuries since he took over, so

Simmons has been out almost 20 weeks now for a procedure with a typical recovery time of 6-8 weeks.

Doesn't the NBA have rules about this poo poo like the NFL?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

Simmons has been out almost 20 weeks now for a procedure with a typical recovery time of 6-8 weeks.

No because there is no injured list. Hes been on the roster the whole time.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm of the opinion that as Ibaka's once superior athleticism continues to evaporate (because he's 35 :lol:), he'll turn into a boring stretch 4 that can easily be found for half the cost.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NotWearingPants posted:

Why would they hold out Simmons? If you think this is a stealth tank, holding out Simmons would do the opposite. He's a ball-dominant point forward who needs to get used to NBA speed and no shot to fall back on. They'd lose be worse this year with him in the lineup.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
going to post this in every thread i can

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/831681877597523968

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mr. Mambold posted:

No way did he know, KD didn't even know.

edit- I think that trade might have ironically backfired for Presti's intentions wanting to bring Oladipo, who was supposedly a KD protege, into the fold and influenced KD even more to leave. Wanda Durant saidthat KD wanted more veterans to push for a title.

I thought Durant basically decided during game 7 of the Finals but just wanted to experience the free agent process. (Basing that off the story of him and his agent watching game 7)

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTZPAPCpzDc

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm of the opinion that as Ibaka's once superior athleticism continues to evaporate (because he's 35 :lol:), he'll turn into a boring stretch 4 that can easily be found for half the cost.

Yes and I think this is the real reason OKC traded him.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

i really really want a NUGSESH denver throwback

Brolander fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 15, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Why would they hold out Simmons? If you think this is a stealth tank, holding out Simmons would do the opposite. He's a ball-dominant point forward who needs to get used to NBA speed and no shot to fall back on. They'd lose be worse this year with him in the lineup.

No, I'm leaning more towards Colangelo is lying about injuries, but really I have no idea so if you have a theory I'd love to hear it. I am not being facetious. It looks like the earliest Simmons is going to be back will be 22-24 weeks and now people are speculating that he might sit out all year. So what's the Occam's razor explanation for why a 20 year old athlete would need to sit out an entire season for a 6-8 week injury suffered in training camp?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Being conservative with injuries during a rebuilding season in order to protect assets' long-term health

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

this is one of the most skilled plays in basketball history. im not being hyperbolic at all

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NotWearingPants posted:

No, I'm leaning more towards Colangelo is lying about injuries, but really I have no idea so if you have a theory I'd love to hear it. I am not being facetious. It looks like the earliest Simmons is going to be back will be 22-24 weeks and now people are speculating that he might sit out all year. So what's the Occam's razor explanation for why a 20 year old athlete would need to sit out an entire season for a 6-8 week injury suffered in training camp?

He's injured? Not everyone's bodies behave the same, and you tend to be cautious with young players if they don't appear to be healing properly. Especially foot injuries.

I don't know why anyone would lie about the injury. Do you think he has a worse injury or they are holding him out on when they don't need to? There really isn't a reason to do either of those things, so I am guessing its just being cautious with a very tall human's feet.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

NotWearingPants posted:

Superstition? Holding Embiid out forever paid off, they are probably inclined to follow that same path again for Simmons.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I can't imagine they are holding Simmons out deliberately when he is ready to go. Being overly cautious perhaps sure, but sitting him when he is healthy makes no sense. They need to see him play with Noel and Okafor asap to see what to do about that situation.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

NotWearingPants posted:

When ankles start to deteriorate, they get worse exponentially. You can talk to EvanTH about it. They are very difficult to fix once they really get worn and smashed up, see Williams, Deron. It's not a joint to be cavalier with.

It's the sixers so it could be fake, but there are lots of legitimate ankle injuries that need to heal for a long time before putting a 6'8 man's full weight running, cutting, and jumping.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 15, 2017

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

oh my god 😩😩😩

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Holy Crap! Is this really bad luck, or is this The Process? I mean how many teams had 4 prominent draft picks not play at all the first season?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

Yes.

if I'm wrong, a ten dollar donation to the charity of the next poster's choice.

I don't know if they had the assets to do it, but imagine how much better Memphis would look in the near term, had they traded for Gallo rather than maxing out Chandelier Parsons.

Or even traded for Wilson Chandler rather than maxing Chandler Parsons.

What would it have cost them, salary matching and the Wade Baldwin pick? How's this franchise going to go on without Wade Baldwin, the 8 foot wingspan guy who can't make a layup

Away all Goats posted:

My only hang up about the Ibaka trade is that didn't he get traded because he wasn't getting enough touches in OKC? Can't imagine Lowry/DeRozan are gonna be moving the ball much more than WB/KD.

But if Ibaka is cool with essentially being a role player again then neat. Assuming this move sends the Raptors to another ECF trip I could see Masai signing everyone back, including max deals for Lowry/Ibaka

Also goodbye Ross, I'm gonna miss your sweet windmill dunks. I hope this is a wake up call for him because he has all the tools and talent to be a legit all star in this league.
They said he was traded because he wasn't going to re-sign, because he wanted to be more involved in the offense. Then Durant left. Orlando probably realized he didn't want to part of their big loving mess and wouldn't re-sign, and at least got a late first and an all or nothing bench player out of it. They're so hosed.

I realize that every NBA owner except maybe the Buss family trust and the teachers union or the yellow pages ad brokerage that owns the raptors is a piece of poo poo, but the Devoses are real pieces of poo poo who objectively want to make education worse for most american kids, so gently caress them. Let them lose all the games and all the money.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 15, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There was talk Simmons was going to miss the season as soon as the injury happened but that it was Rich Paul forcing it. Maybe it's just what they wanted and thought he'd be an easy scapegoat.

I mean, normally I would think this is a red flag but the Philly players have missed seasons and mostly come in at the same developmental level as if they have been playing somehow so I think they've almost earned a pass, even though normally you want a guy playing as many minutes as he can physically handle early on.

This is really special.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Being conservative with injuries during a rebuilding season in order to protect assets' long-term health

No no this isn't a juicy conspiracy !!!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

There was talk Simmons was going to miss the season as soon as the injury happened but that it was Rich Paul forcing it. Maybe it's just what they wanted and thought he'd be an easy scapegoat.

I mean, normally I would think this is a red flag but the Philly players have missed seasons and mostly come in at the same developmental level as if they have been playing somehow so I think they've almost earned a pass, even though normally you want a guy playing as many minutes as he can physically handle early on.

This is really special.

You know the 48fps that peter jackson used to film the new hobbit movies that was just too high resolution and made all the props look like childrens toys and the sets flickering styrofoam? That's the only resolution that would properly pick up Lebron's incredible telekinetic reads and adjustments

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What's the oops?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

IcePhoenix posted:

What's the oops?

Change blindness is real

It says NBA G/V:

I assume it stands for goos and views

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
goos and views

E: are you kitten me

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The G is for G-League. G-League and Views.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The oops is 5600+ unread posts

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:lol: at the entire toronto raptors organization

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

holy lol the Raptors are out of home court

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Away all Goats posted:

Also goodbye Ross, I'm gonna miss your sweet windmill dunks. I hope this is a wake up call for him because he has all the tools and talent to be a legit all star in this league.

Presti & Donovan promised Serge an increased role on offense, but it ended with Adams and Kanter taking most of his touches that weren't catch and shoot opportunities. Serge's last two playoff runs up to the WCF have been pretty impressive, despite his regular season malaise. The big threats to put in a 4 year max offer for Serge could be like Minnesota or Brooklyn, but I think Serge will take a discount in exchange for a 5th year on a good team. Toronto still might need to dump Carroll and maybe CoJo to avoid the tax, but I don't think Serge is going to command a 5-year max at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think I've ever seen a team go from 2nd in the conference to 5th in a month past the midway point

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don't watch nearly enough raptors to have an opinion on dwayne casey, but this is a man who has been unable to solve Fred Hoiberg

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/2/12/14588920/bryan-colangelo-has-been-misleading-untrustworthy-on-injuries-as-sixers-gm

And this was written before the latest Simmons news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/831657008524820480

• Locked thread