Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

zh1 posted:

this forum is so bad

doesn't belong in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I speak from experience when I say Indians don't in any way take their jobs more seriously than Americans. Aside from wealthy housewives, who take "planning the menu" to ungodly levels of seriousness. They don't cook or serve it mind you, they have servants for that. :v:
God, just eat the rich.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Perhaps hammering developing brains with constant and unnuanced variations on that theme has not been a universal good:

I knew a guy in AA who would spend thirty minutes bragging about humble he was. Literally a half hour.

FrameRelay posted:

The reason why many jobs are moving overseas from America is because the average person in America is not motivated to be a productive person because they have never needed in their life and the high cost of their labor is not worth it.

Our culture is now based on complacency and laziness. We deserve this mess we have made.

You should work in the White House.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jastiger posted:

Whenever i wonder aloud why so many Indians take tech jobs here, im blasted by people in the tech field who claim that they are far more industrious than their American counter parts.

I've actually heard the exact opposite.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

It's almost as if Indians are a diverse people; some of whom are lazy and some of whom are industrious.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's almost as if Indians are a diverse people; some of whom are lazy and some of whom are industrious.

Hmm you've given me a lot to think about here ToxicSlurpee. Thank you my friend.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
When I worked at a previous company, I reviewed the code from a team from a major Indian company that they contacted to do some web work. Holy poo poo, were they terrible at their job. The code looked like trash, had bad variable names, no comments, and they didn't even understand the basics.

Just as an example, one of the things they were supposed to do was pull an arbitrary number of objects from a cms entry and turn it into html to display on the page. Simple enough, especially since the language being used had a foreach() function. Their solution? Hardcoding calls to the id numbers of the dummy data in the dev cms, and copy pasting that chunk of code over and over again

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I work for a company that at one point shifted a lot of the IT team to India. We ran into a few problems:

1. The quality of engineers for the most part was extremely poor, and customers in the US did not prefer to work with them.
2. The good ones would leave and go to the competition, there was no sense of loyalty.

In the end most of the team shifted back to US, though the "loyalty" problem appears to also be a factor with some of the younger engineers.

Also if we want to talk about "lazy and unmotivated" we can look right at Europe. They don't care, and then they'll take 2 months of vacation time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

FrameRelay posted:

I work at an IT company which is shipping jobs overseas.

The reason why many jobs are moving overseas from America is because the average person in America is not motivated to be a productive person because they have never needed in their life and the high cost of their labor is not worth it.

Our culture is now based on complacency and laziness. We deserve this mess we have made.

Imagine being this guy's kid

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
can this thread itemize all the races and their respective level of work ethics please

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

zandert33 posted:

Also if we want to talk about "lazy and unmotivated" we can look right at Europe. They don't care, and then they'll take 2 months of vacation time.

Don't you mean holiday time? :grin:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

*shrug* I'm not invested in either side, was just participating.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i've heard that west africans are generally bad at administrative tasks such as record keeping but they can run a mean woodworking shop, whereas mongolians are what you want for file-keeping but ain't poo poo at woodworking, they're completely lost. can any of you trifling little morons corroborate this?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zh1 posted:

can this thread itemize all the races and their respective level of work ethics please

I'll give it a whirl:

1. F1
2. Indy 500
3. Tour de France
4. Space
5. That one where you have to balance a hard boiled egg on a spoon and run around cones and stuff

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

zh1 posted:

I've seen some Mexicans working really hard and sometimes I've seen Mexicans sitting on a bench not really doing anything. It's certainly a complex issue.

I hope this has helped you with whatever it was you were trying to learn.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jastiger posted:

*shrug* I'm not invested in either side, was just participating.

As was I. My brother in law works at rackspace and says the outsourcing to India always blows up in their face.

Rackspaces face, not the Indians.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The problem with outsourcing to India is that it happens when somebody asks "how can we hire programmers more cheaply?" Any Indian programmer that's good is making as much as an American programmer that is good and is going to get passed over. Hell they may very well have left India and come to America.

You could find the same grade of cheap, garbage programmers in America but for some mysterious reason people outsource outside of America for cheap work.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrameRelay posted:

But isn't American objectively one of the hardest working developed nations on the planet? Like, don't Americans work longer hours than workers in other first world/developed nations (aside from maybe Japan or South Korea)?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
"work" longer hours

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

But isn't American objectively one of the hardest working developed nations on the planet? Like, don't Americans work longer hours than workers in other first world/developed nations (aside from maybe Japan or South Korea)?

It's mainly because a lot of other countries have all sorts of labor laws that prevent working beyond a certain number of hours or requiring after hours/weekend work. Only union jobs in the US have any type of right like there, and there is no white collar union.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zandert33 posted:

2. The good ones would leave and go to the competition, there was no sense of loyalty.

In the end most of the team shifted back to US, though the "loyalty" problem appears to also be a factor with some of the younger engineers.

Loyalty, as in, to the company? Why would anyone have loyalty to a company?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Loyalty, as in, to the company? Why would anyone have loyalty to a company?

If they treat you as more of a valued employee in terms of both how they pay you and how they treat you compared to the competition, why wouldn't you?

The problem is companies never do that anymore because almost everyone is replaceable, but at least in theory being loyal to your employer isn't an absurd idea under the right circumstances.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If they treat you as more of a valued employee in terms of both how they pay you and how they treat you compared to the competition, why wouldn't you?
Does that even count as loyalty? It's just sticking with the best option as long as it remains the best option. Loyalty implies that you could take a better option but you choose not to.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FrameRelay posted:

The country where people keep working more and more hours year on year, without earning more, is full of lazy, entitled layabouts. Go choke on Ayn Rand's rotting cock.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

Yes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Does that even count as loyalty? It's just sticking with the best option as long as it remains the best option. Loyalty implies that you could take a better option but you choose not to.

My point is that I would be loyal (as in, keep working for them) to a company that has treated me well rather than take my chances on marginally better positions in terms of pay/benefits - you never know whether you'll get along with the people at the new place, or if you'll be laid off in a week, etc. It's almost always better to go with the known, safe thing as long as it is meeting your needs financially and socially/whatever.

In reality unfortunately employee loyalty is never returned anymore and people with 20 years on the job will be laid off instead of the new guy that is only 10% as productive but works for much less.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My point is that I would be loyal (as in, keep working for them) to a company that has treated me well rather than take my chances on marginally better positions in terms of pay/benefits - you never know whether you'll get along with the people at the new place, or if you'll be laid off in a week, etc. It's almost always better to go with the known, safe thing as long as it is meeting your needs financially and socially/whatever.

In reality unfortunately employee loyalty is never returned anymore and people with 20 years on the job will be laid off instead of the new guy that is only 10% as productive but works for much less.

That's still a wholly self-centered behavior rather than helping a company out of gratitude.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

That's still a wholly self-centered behavior rather than helping a company out of gratitude.

I guess we have different definitions of loyalty. What I described is staying with the company out of gratitude for what they do for me, and would be more likely to stay with them if faced with a marginally better position with a different company. It is self-serving in the sense that I want job security and adequate pay, but I can serve myself and the company at the same time, they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, also wanted to add there's a legitimate issue in India where dudes will just pay other dudes/have their friends take their certification testing for them. If I'm to guess how this goes down, I'd say teachers get bribes because that's just pretty much the norm. Like if you want cops to do anything to for you, you bribe 'em, you want a visa on time, you bribe 'em, poo poo like that. And that's from the brick breaker to the MPs, everybody's bribing everyone. I know way too many people with bought degrees.
Also adding this says nothing of the intelligence of Indians themselves, but the system in place is most definitely loving everyone over. Merit means nothing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only companies I've seen that show loyalty to their employees and vice versa is in the trades. And even then its rare.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I guess I've been lucky in that I've been treated well by every company I've worked for. That includes very generous pay increases and timely promotions. I don't see any reason to leave if they keep taking care of me. The last major move I had, I saw that it was time to abandon ship because there were major restructures going on due to a buyout, not because I just wanted more money. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've also been treated very well, except for the raises and promotions. I think those things are just myths they made up for office style movies and such.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jastiger posted:

Whenever i wonder aloud why so many Indians take tech jobs here, im blasted by people in the tech field who claim that they are far more industrious than their American counter parts.

They immigrate to the US and take jobs here because the pay is better and the jobs are more prestigious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe... maybe industrious people in general are the ones to move 40000 kilometres for a job? Just a thought.

e: Well not 40000 kilometres literally.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

You come to america you better start using miles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oldpainless posted:

You come to america you better start using miles.

said the NASA recruiter

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

silence_kit posted:

They immigrate to the US and take jobs here because the pay is better and the jobs are more prestigious.

lmao what did you do for that avatar?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

spit on my clit posted:

lmao what did you do for that avatar?

It says what I did in my avatar--I posted in the D & D feminism thread. If you want to know more, check my rap sheet.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

silence_kit posted:

It says what I did in my avatar--I posted in the D & D feminism thread. If you want to know more, check my rap sheet.

keep posting in that thread, man, they're the ones that suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

You Are A Elf posted:

the laughably bad 1980s "I'M SO 80S I poo poo BOY GEORGE" soundtrack

You do know that the movie was made in the 80s right?