Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Neurosis posted:

God I love Valiant. It's so consistently good.

Valiant Comics: It has been forever since our last stupid mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Fish posted:

Valiant Comics: It has been forever since our last stupid mistake.

But let's not talk about Shadowman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If they get Shadowman right, let me know, because I will get into Valiant so fast and so hard it'll make your head spin.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The 4001 AD Shadowman one-shot was solid, plus the Deadside plays an interesting (if small so far) role in Divinity III: Stalinverse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shadowman in Ninjak was rad. But right now Matt Kindt is like the Valiant God and nothing he writes for them is any less than great. Which makes me so happy about the new X-O series.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I see it was talked about above but I just found out Generation Zero was cancelled at issue #9. That's sad, I really liked that book and I was looking forward to having two cool Harbinger-focused ongoings coming out for a while. Plus I'm not used to Valiant yanking the carpet out from under a series before it even hits double digits.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Something secret coming soon, from the writer of Arrival. Yes, that Arrival. The recent best picture nominee at the Oscars.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently the book above is a new version of the old Valiant series Secret Weapons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yup. It's Secret Weapons. It looks amazing.

http://www.valiantentertainment.com...coming-in-june/

quote:

As revealed today at Vulture, Valiant is proud to announce that Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Eric Heisserer, writer of the internationally acclaimed, smash-hit motion picture ARRIVAL, as well as the upcoming HARBINGER and BLOODSHOT feature films from Sony Pictures, will join Harvey Award-nominated artist Raul Allen (Wrath of the Eternal Warrior) with Patricia Martin (Bloodshot Reborn) for SECRET WEAPONS #1 (of 4) – an all-new, Valiant Prestige format limited series starring the much-demanded, super-charged hero Livewire in June!

The government has dispatched Amanda McKee – the technopath codenamed Livewire – to investigate the ruins of a secret facility formerly run by Toyo Harada, the most powerful telepath on Earth and her former mentor. In his quest for world betterment at any cost, Harada sought out and activated many potential psiots like himself. Those who survived, but whose powers he deemed to have no value to his cause, were hidden away at this installation. But Livewire, having studied Harada’s greatest strengths and learned his deepest weaknesses, senses opportunity where he once saw failure. A young girl who can talk to birds… A boy who can make inanimate objects gently glow… To others, these are expensive failures. But, to Livewire, they are secret weapons…in need of a leader. Now, as a mechanized killer called Rexo seeks to draw them out, Livewire and her new team of cadets will be forced to put their powers into action…in ways they never could have imagined…

“Much like Faith before her, Livewire is a comics icon in the making. She is beloved by fans and adored by creators,” said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. “Finding the right stage for her to shine has been a top priority at Valiant for some time now and, with SECRET WEAPONS, Eric and Raul have crafted something truly special. Not only is this a story quite unlike any Valiant has told to date, but Eric and Raul have created a host of new characters unlike any others in comics. This series is the first step in a long-term plan that will be more than worth the wait, and will have major ramifications for all quarters of the Valiant Universe as we build toward HARBINGER WARS 2 in 2018.

“Without a doubt, Raul is one of the most talented artists in the industry, and every page he sends in leaves jaws on the floor,” he added. “Eric – one of the great storytellers anywhere in entertainment today and one of the sweetest people possible – is able to effortlessly jump between mediums with a passion and intensity that is virtually unrivaled. Together they make an amazing team, and we can’t wait to share their work with the world.”

In addition to his 2017 Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for ARRIVAL, Heisserer has received a host of high-profile awards and nominations for some of the most prominent institutions in entertainment, including the BAFTA Awards, the Writers Guild Awards, the Humanitas Prize, the Critics’ Choice Awards, the Broadcast Film Critics Association, the Chicago Film Critics Association, the Austin Film Critics Association, and more. His next projects will include a key role in shaping Valiant’s five-film slate of major motion pictures at Sony Pictures as the writer of the upcoming HARBINGER and BLOODSHOT feature films – currently scheduled for release in late 2018.

“My path to Secret Weapons is a bit wonky,” said Heisserer. “I started writing for characters like Pete, Faith, Livewire, and Bloodshot in the film adaptations of their stories. When I am given the opportunity to translate a property to screen, it’s like adopting someone else’s child for a while. I put in my time, try to respect all the hard work of the original authors, and sooner or later I’m on my way.

“The Valiant characters were different, especially Livewire. I kept thinking about her, long after my official writing services were complete. I wanted back into that world. I had crazy ideas for her powers, and the hard choices ahead of her. So, I asked to build a new book for Valiant, with a new group of faces, all led by Amanda. To my relief, Dinesh and Warren said yes.

“Of all the writing I’ve done in the last year, my heart is most in SECRET WEAPONS and its collection of freaks, misfits, and outcasts. And I think a story of a woman who’s shouldered such great burdens, now trying to rescue some lost souls and form a surrogate family, may be one of the most emotional stories I’ve put to paper.

“And where this story goes? Oh man, buckle up.”

On June 28th, 2017 Oscar® nominee Eric Heisserer and visionary artist Raul Allen follow in the footsteps of HARBINGER and FAITH to forge a new vision of 21st century superheroes as Livewire steps to the fore with an all-new team of heroes in the waiting, only in SECRET WEAPONS #1 (of 4) – coming soon to a comic shop near you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That last pic looks creepy and fantastic and I can not wait for this book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dream of a world where Marvel and DC give half as much of a drat about hyping their books like Valiant does.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamnit I'm adding it to my list on friday

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I dream of a world where Marvel and DC give half as much of a drat about hyping their books like Valiant does.

How does Valiant sell at your store?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

How does Valiant sell at your store?

Singles are slow, we only get a handful of preorders but trades do very well. I push the line as much as I can though.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Are Divinity II and III as good as the first volume? I'm debating if I should order the trades or keep waiting and see if they put all 3 volumes in 1 big hardcover.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr President posted:

Are Divinity II and III as good as the first volume? I'm debating if I should order the trades or keep waiting and see if they put all 3 volumes in 1 big hardcover.

Yes they are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't read DIII yet but DII is way better than Divinity imo.

One thing I like about the Valiant universe is that they don't make up countries and leaders. Harada doesn't set up his enclave in Fakeistan, he sets it up in Somalia. Armor Hunters don't destroy a fake city, they destroy Mexico City. It gives it more impact. You'll see why this statement applies to DII when you read it.

(Also makes me wonder if they'll put Trump in the books at some point)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Trump is referenced in Bloodshot USA as PRS's tentative (pre-election) political puppet.

Divinity III has been rocking as hard as II so far.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Valiant Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/valiant-comics-book-bundle

GO GO GO

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Armor Hunters Deluxe makes the whole the thing worth it. Get it if you don't already have it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

YUP.
If I wasn't already firmly entrenched in Valiant, I'd be lucky to have this humble bundle as a starting haul. Hop on in, lucky lurkers, the water's fine!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The God of Valiant, Matt Kindt, is writing an event series that brings Shadowman back into prominence. Looks like it will play heavily into the great arc of Ninjak where he traveled to the Deadside. I see Tama is also on the cover which is awesome because Tama is great.

quote:

As revealed today at Nerdist, Valiant is proud to announce RAPTURE #1 (of 4) – a spellbinding standalone event from New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (X-O Manowar, Mind MGMT) and explosive artist CAFU (Rai)! In the epic tradition of THE VALIANT, the fallen hero once known as Shadowman returns to the forefront of the Valiant Universe to unite with the most unlikely ally of all – seasoned MI-6 intelligence operative Ninjak – for an epic quest into the unknown!

“RAPTURE is our biggest and most harrowing exploration of the Shadowman mythology to date,” said Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons. “The return of Jack Boniface is the just first step in a series of major developments that will be coming for Shadowman over the next year, and RAPTURE will officially begin his long-awaited return to the forefront of the Valiant Universe.”

“This series is ‘Lord of the Rings’ for the Valiant Universe, and Matt Kindt and CAFU have crafted a sprawling, Tolkien-esque journey that will see Ninjak, Shadowman, the Geomancer, and Punk Mambo fighting alongside a barbarian horde in one of their grandest battles yet,” said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. “In the mold of previous standalone events like THE VALIANT, this series is a self-contained entry point that will will open an entirely new, unexplored corner of our universe and propel the twin destines of two of Valiant’s biggest characters forward for some time.”

On a scarred landscape, two otherworldly armies prepare to battle one last time, vying for control of a massive tower named from an ancient language no longer permitted to be spoken.

One army is led by a primeval force named Babel, whose goal is singular: to breach “Heaven” no matter the cost. The only thing standing in his way is a gray-haired barbaric warrior, filled with rage and regret – a man who sees this battle as his last chance for redemption. But he knows his depleted forces have little chance of victory unless aid comes soon.

Enter Tama: A 12-year old girl on the crest of a hill overlooking the battle, who has just become humanity’s only hope. The last in an ancient line of mystics who protect the Earth, she has foreseen this battle and knows millions will perish if she’s unable to stop it. Now Tama and her ragtag team of malcontents – Ninjak, Shadowman and Punk Mambo – must somehow defeat an elder god hell bent on piercing the heavens.

“I grew up loving ‘Conan’ and ‘Lord of the Rings’, but I haven’t really gotten a chance to develop my take on that kind of genre. I tend to gravitate to more grounded stories (relatively) with spies and gadgets and mystery,” writer Matt Kindt told Nerdist. “So it’s interesting to take that grounded sensibility and apply it to some crazy fantastical ideas – exploring heaven and hell, and gods and demons – but doing it in a way that humanizes all of the characters.”

On May 24th, steel meets shadow for Valiant’s first fantasy epic! Join the crusade as Ninjak and Shadowman unite for an astounding journey into the space between life and death…through the Deadside…and into the many worlds that lie beyond with a spellbinding and horrific standalone event, beginning in RAPTURE #1 (of 4) – featuring covers by Harvey Award-nominated artist Mico Suayan (Bloodshot Reborn) Eisner Award-nominated artist J.G. Jones (Final Crisis), acclaimed artist Kano (Swamp Thing), and rising star CAFU (Action Comics)!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

The God of Valiant, Matt Kindt, is writing an event series that brings Shadowman back into prominence. Looks like it will play heavily into the great arc of Ninjak where he traveled to the Deadside. I see Tama is also on the cover which is awesome because Tama is great.

Hell yeah!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JordanKai posted:

Hell yeah!

*grumble grumble*

More books to add to my list.

edit: Also forgot to say, holy poo poo Ninjak has been on a tear recently. That almost wordless standalone issue was amazing. I'm assuming that the lack of backups in Ninjak has to do with him writing X-O. And speaking of, those X-O previews in Ninjak have gotten me so hyped it isn't funny.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 11, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I haven't read DIII yet but DII is way better than Divinity imo.

One thing I like about the Valiant universe is that they don't make up countries and leaders. Harada doesn't set up his enclave in Fakeistan, he sets it up in Somalia. Armor Hunters don't destroy a fake city, they destroy Mexico City. It gives it more impact. You'll see why this statement applies to DII when you read it.

(Also makes me wonder if they'll put Trump in the books at some point)

Once upon a time DC also did this so we got Mr Joker, Iranian ambassador to the UN for Ayatollah Khomeini, right after he had brutally beaten Robin to death with a crowbar. Robin of course was found by the Joker because his mum was in Iran at the time performing illegal abortions and Joker used that to blackmail her.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Back to the Divinity question, which I missed due to other stuff. I think Divinity is still much better than Dinivity II, not that Divinity II isn't great though because it is. Divinity is just one of my favorite stories period from Valiant. The way in which the story is crafted and told is really cool even beyond the plot. Divinity II is a bit more straightforward in terms of A->B->C plotting goes and that's perfectly fine for the story it's telling. Divinity III is pretty fuckin' great as well too so far and I have more than enough faith in Kindt to land the ending.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am so in for this. A new digital exclusive title.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my GOD Coach Bloodshot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Star Football Player XO

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh jesus, the Eternal Sophomore is just as good!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even the writer doesn't know what grade Torque and Woody are in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is the page that keeps on giving. "Telecetera." I'm giggling like a child over here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm gonna read this with almost nothing but the first two volumes of X-O Manowar as background knowledge.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Another special one shot to go along with the Van Lente Immortal Brothers one announced. This one is for Gilad.

quote:

As revealed today at Newsarama, Valiant is proud to announce ETERNAL WARRIOR: AWAKENING #1 – a punishing standalone special celebrating 25 years of Valiant’s immortal soldier…and revealing a never-before-told tale of his earliest adventures at the dawn of civilization! On May 10th, take up arms alongside New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps) and acclaimed artist Renato Guedes (Bloodshot Reborn, Wolverine) as they unleash the second of four special issues honoring the most beloved Valiant tales ever with a formative chapter in the life of Gilad Anni-Padda…and celebrating the original ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 by comic legends Jim Shooter and John Dixon!

“I think there’s a tendency to interpret Gilad as very dark and grim, since he’s been a warrior for, well, eternity. It’s right there in the title. But I see him as an eternal optimist,” writer Robert Venditti told Newsarama. “He believes humanity is far more good than bad, and that the battle of good versus evil will be won one day. Otherwise, what makes him get out of bed and sacrifice so much to keep going? Really, I look at the Eternal Warrior, and beneath all the battles and bloodshed, I see an unending wellspring of hope.”

On the brink of carving out victory in the most violent battle of his life, Gilad Anni-Padda suffers a devastating injury. He awakens weeks later in a strange land, nursed back to health but with no memory of his past. A tribe has shown him compassion in an age of cruelty, and he will return their gift in kind. Now the real violence will begin…

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

X-O posted:

Van Lente Immortal Brothers

Wait, what?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shitshow posted:

Wait, what?

Valiant are doing one shots for the their anniversary and Van Lente is doing one about the Anni-Padda brothers.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

X-O posted:

Valiant are doing one shots for the their anniversary and Van Lente is doing one about the Anni-Padda brothers.

I love it when Van Lente writes them. Too bad it's not an ongoing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FYI, I do try to keep the OP and second post updated with past/current/future series. So if you're ever curious about what's been announced it'll probably be there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So is Bloodshot Reborn finishing with Bloodshot USA? I haven't been keeping up with the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

algebra testes posted:

So is Bloodshot Reborn finishing with Bloodshot USA? I haven't been keeping up with the news.

There's a Bloodshot Reborn #0 next month that is supposed to kickstart the next iteration of Bloodshot, which is titled Bloodshot Salvation.