Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

trucutru posted:

what is your favorite space anime? (LOGH not allowed).

Space Ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

"No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir."

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What the gently caress is this dude talking about?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Ah, the memories.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 15, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The lack of progress they've made over these last three years is amazing

FTFY.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Noone to cite Heroic Age. It doesn't surprise me that most of you were backers.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

This is a Valentine's Day gift of openness.

Their development is just as open (and just as pleasant to observe) as the fetal pigs in biology.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

its valentines day and I can't stop posting about spaceships

ama

I've had ice cream and strawberry shortcake. I think I can say I won Valentine's Day.

:melter:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Gradis posted:

whats the most romantic space ship?

I don't want to toot my own horn, but...

:coolfish:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Oh I figured out how the honesty slider got into production when Chris Roberts oversees and approves everything: They used a word he's never seen before.

Sorry, it took my joke pipeline a little while to get developed. And somebody probably already said this so I'm just Archering it too.

Look, guys, she's only been developing jokes for about a year here. And she HAS released some new jokes we haven't seen before. So, I, for one, am willing to wait and see what her visionary mind comes up with without the pressure of joke publishers. :boom:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Meridian posted:

What the gently caress is this dude talking about?
"It's only a personal insult if it's out of context. Like if I say Derek is a dickhole it's not a personal attack because I'm talking about him being a dickhole so it's all in context."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

:fry:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

Look, guys, she's only been developing jokes for about a year here. And she HAS released some new jokes we haven't seen before. So, I, for one, am willing to wait and see what her visionary mind comes up with without the pressure of joke publishers. :boom:

Some people claim I've never done one thing right. But history will be on my side when the facts of time are all laid out. :sureboat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Exinos posted:

Yes, Chris clearly refuses to release anything that's not done right. Hence the flawless PTU and how 2.6 released completely as promised with large sections hacked out to force an 11th hour holiday release.

I think people who even remotely claim CIG only releases highly polished or excellent pieces of software need to shut the gently caress up and not talk anymore.

But that's only like, my opinion man.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I only read the italicized words and I think he's calling somebody a cunty little bitch and that's pretty rude. :(

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

it's almost cute that the r/DerekSmartCanSuckMyCunt people feel they have to keep up a weird veneer of civility and integrity.

guys, you hate the internet man. Be at peace with that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I think people who even remotely claim CIG only releases highly polished or excellent pieces of software need to shut the gently caress up and not talk anymore.

As I have said, I have dev experience. Not game dev, and, frankly, I am not very good AT ALL, but I would be embarrassed to have my name on the current versions of SC/SQ42.

Or even associated with CIG.

The Titanic posted:

I only read the italicized words and I think he's calling somebody a cunty little bitch and that's pretty rude. :(

I don't mind calling people names, but that one about Seeing U Next Thursday I don't even use.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Titanic posted:

you shut up! a pre-alpha is not a release!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Samizdata posted:

I don't mind calling people names, but that one about Seeing U Next Thursday I don't even use.

One of the differences between America and the rest of the British empire

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheAgent posted:

nah, it is

its going to be a complete and utter mess and will go down as one of the worst development hells ever, but it will come out

I really don't know what might happen at this point. I could see some shitpile being stitched together as the Minimum Viable Product, and then all the principals leave and a tangle of empty LLCs are all that's left to sue.

But I could also see them getting down to single-digit millions left in the bank account, firing 95% of staff, and going mostly dark -- but insisting "development is still going forward" as a way to dodge responsibility. Aim to drag things out as long as possible, so that lots of backers just forget about the whole thing.

Normal companies can't do the second option because they have debts that come due, and creditors have the ability to extract what's left even if they have to dissolve the company to do it. But CIG doesn't have normal loans and their backers aren't normal creditors.

Clearly they're incapable of doing even a fraction of what they've promised and even sold to people, which is why I'm skeptical of the Minimum Viable Product idea. There are an awful lot of $1000 jpegs that will have zero relationship to their advertised use in any MVP I can foresee coming together. All those drink mixers and science modules and wankcargo pods, none of that is gonna happen. So any plan to declare the game "finished" has to include a decent legal defense for why they didn't just squander the money.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Planetes

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Clearly they're incapable of doing even a fraction of what they've promised and even sold to people, which is why I'm skeptical of the Minimum Viable Product idea. There are an awful lot of $1000 jpegs that will have zero relationship to their advertised use in any MVP I can foresee coming together. All those drink mixers and science modules and wankcargo pods, none of that is gonna happen. So any plan to declare the game "finished" has to include a decent legal defense for why they didn't just squander the money.

Drink mixers, science modules, etc, etc. are easy if they are all golf swing mini-games, which they have proven to be able to code!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

Drink mixers, science modules, etc, etc. are easy if they are all golf swing mini-games, which they have proven to be able to code!

I don't play golf IRL, why would I want to pay to sim it in SPAAAAAAACE exactly?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

"needed"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

gundam wing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

I don't play golf IRL, why would I want to pay to sim it in SPAAAAAAACE exactly?

Because instead of hole-in-ones you get to discover new wormholes (which save 15 minutes out of your 7 hours space-trucking mission)

Romes128 posted:

gundam wing

I knew someone eventually would make this tasteless joke.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

The Valentine's Day sale is pretty sad so far. However, I doubt CIG was counting on it to bring in all that much cash compared to a typical concept sale.

The total take so far is about $113K.

Thanks to the "stock limits" on some of the items (Aurora starter package, Mustang starter package, Starfarer Gemini, Starfarer Gemini two-pack), we can see how well individual SKUs are selling as well as get an upper bound on the amount of fresh cash spent on those items. The starter packages ($35 each) are warbond editions and thus cash-only; the Starfarer packages can be bought with store credit if I understand correctly. I only started checking stocks a while after the sale began, so the time axis in this plot does not start at 0.

The trends are fairly linear over the sampled period, with the Aurora selling at about 10.7 units/hour, Mustang at 13.4 units/hour, Starfarer Gemini at 2.9 units/hour, and the Starfarer Gemini two-pack at 0 units/hour. The enticing 8.8% discount on a two-pack (which I believe has limitations placed on it with regard to individual melting and such) hasn't brought backer wallets out, and so the number of two-packs sold has been firmly stuck at... 2.

The total amount of cash accounted for by these four SKUs is at most $29,575 if no store credit was used. Is it believable that roughly $83K, minus maybe $15K-ish of usual daily revenue, was spent on the unlimited SKUs? I leave that to you to decide.

boviscopophobic fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 15, 2017

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

I really don't know what might happen at this point. I could see some shitpile being stitched together as the Minimum Viable Product, and then all the principals leave and a tangle of empty LLCs are all that's left to sue.

But I could also see them getting down to single-digit millions left in the bank account, firing 95% of staff, and going mostly dark -- but insisting "development is still going forward" as a way to dodge responsibility. Aim to drag things out as long as possible, so that lots of backers just forget about the whole thing.

Normal companies can't do the second option because they have debts that come due, and creditors have the ability to extract what's left even if they have to dissolve the company to do it. But CIG doesn't have normal loans and their backers aren't normal creditors.

When this all collapses and Chris disappears off the face of the earth along with what loot remains, everyone will think he's moved to the Cayman Islands and gotten himself a new toupee as disguise. But you know, with the community they've built up around this project, I kind of wonder if he'll actually end up being buried in a 40 gallon drum under a slab of concrete in some old Warsaw Pact country by a pissed-off Citizen :ohdear:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

Because instead of hole-in-ones you get to discover new wormholes (which save 15 minutes out of your 7 hours space-trucking mission)

Yeah. Question: Exactly how much time I would be able to spend loving off as sensor officer of the Goon multicrew megacruiser before I got thrown out the airlock?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

Yeah. Question: Exactly how much time I would be able to spend loving off as sensor officer of the Goon multicrew megacruiser before I got thrown out the airlock?

Being thrown of of the airlock into sweet, sweet oblivion is a reward, not a punishment.

boviscopophobic posted:

The Valentine's Day sale is pretty sad so far. However, I doubt CIG was counting on it to bring in all that much cash compared to a typical concept sale.

Lol, people are buying the Mustang. That's some money well spent. ahahaha.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Elite 2.3 patch has more features that cig would kick literal kittens in order to have functional in their game tech demo smoke and mirrors dreams. And elite is a game you can play, right now, for a reasonable price. And you don't even have to t-pose glitch yourself into our 'tism chariots.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs.

Any anime where someone fights the Deathcula is ok with me!.

There is also an episode titled "Iguana Get To Know You"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If you feel like terrible forum/community needs a ten-paragraph apologist defense then maybe you should just write that defense to silence the critics

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I read all those terrible /r/ds posts out loud in my shittiest fake-german accent

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

Being thrown of of the airlock into sweet, sweet oblivion is a reward, not a punishment.

Not so much. After about 45 minutes of deskeletonization and spinning off into the void, I will end up respawning in the same old wankpod...

Wait, this is hell, isn't it?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

I knew someone eventually would make this tasteless joke.

joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

trucutru posted:

LotGH.

Knights of Sidonia (manga)

RICK AND MORTY.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 15, 2017