Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

KPC_Mammon posted:

Night Goblin lords giving poison and huge charge bonuses seems like it might make wolf riders usable, since everything I've read has been "go spiders for poison"

I ask because spider riders are silly as hell and wolves are awesome, but everyone on the Internet says they are garbage tier.

Night Goblin Warbosses make Wolf Riders into some of the best shock cavalry in the game. I think they get up to 80 charge bonus with all the redline upgrades (on top of a melee attack in the 50s), and since they're amongst the fastest units in the game it is really easy to cycle charge with them.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Any cav unit used properly is a huge multiplier. VC should lean heavily on dire wolves in the early game once the lines meet and they get their zombies summoned on the enemy's rear.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Any cav unit used properly is a huge multiplier. VC should lean heavily on dire wolves in the early game once the lines meet and they get their zombies summoned on the enemy's rear.
Why summon on the rear when that's where you want your wolves to be charging? Summon to tie up archers/artillery so they can approach safely I understand, but wouldn't the wolves be best into the rear since they're so incredibly fast that it shouldn't be a problem to get there? And then can Vargheists and Blood Knights fill this role at higher tiers? I can win VC campaigns ok, but that's mostly on the strength of their absurdly snowballing economy, not tactics.

e: Not being a dick I genuinely want to get better at this game.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 15, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ravenfood posted:

Why summon on the rear when that's where you want your wolves to be charging? Summon to tie up archers/artillery so they can approach safely I understand, but wouldn't the wolves be best into the rear since they're so incredibly fast that it shouldn't be a problem to get there? And then can Vargheists and Blood Knights fill this role at higher tiers? I can win VC campaigns ok, but that's mostly on the strength of their absurdly snowballing economy, not tactics.

Wolves are better flankers when you have them in your line-up, yeah, and superior fast units can also do the job on high levels. Zombies do get in the way of the dire wolves, but you likely won't have enough wolves to completely envelop an equivalent army, so you can do both things in the Vampire early game to easily win engagements. Sometimes it can also be difficult to get the wolves/cavalry/monsters in position if the enemy has counter-cavalry, and summoned zombies completely skip the maneuver part of the engagement.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Like Shogun 2, TWW does a good job of making the cheap units viable all the way through the late game. Swordsmen/Skelly Warriors are just a solid choice against most things, and an army of all Greatswords usually won't be cost effective.

I like running "basic" armies on the most skilled lords (ie: halberds, swords, and crossbows with high level Karl) and giving higher teched units to newly recruited lords. Your veteran lords can stay on the frontier with the troops they've had all along loving poo poo up, while the new guys rotate in with armies strong enough to stand on their own without all the upgrades / skills.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

e: Not being a dick I genuinely want to get better at this game.

It takes time to get the wolves around, and you can make use of the shock damage from their charge as well as the morale effect of having zombies attacking in the rear. You may want to use the wolves on something other than the main line, too. One thing you can always plan to be doing as VC is to have your general fighting up front and summoning zombies.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm having issues with the gobbo start on legendary, any helpful hints? It seems that every time I attempt to expand a new threat takes me by the flank and I don't want to turtle farming rebellions for levels.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Wolves are better flankers when you have them in your line-up, yeah, and superior fast units can also do the job on high levels. Zombies do get in the way of the dire wolves, but you likely won't have enough wolves to completely envelop an equivalent army, so you can do both things in the Vampire early game to easily win engagements. Sometimes it can also be difficult to get the wolves/cavalry/monsters in position if the enemy has counter-cavalry, and summoned zombies completely skip the maneuver part of the engagement.

wiegieman posted:

It takes time to get the wolves around, and you can make use of the shock damage from their charge as well as the morale effect of having zombies attacking in the rear. You may want to use the wolves on something other than the main line, too. One thing you can always plan to be doing as VC is to have your general fighting up front and summoning zombies.

Neat, thanks. I'd never found much of a use for Direwolves at all except having a semi-sacrificial Direpack around to chase off skirmisher cav and maybe a unit or two to tie up archers. Hopefully this helps. Last question since its confused me since basically launch: the wolf/hound units count as large, right? They fill the role of light cavalry for all of their factions so it makes sense that they would, but on the other hand they're not exactly, well, large.

e: Actually, in the Beastmen roster they also get several other light cav analogues so I'm not entirely sure why Chaos/Poison hounds are in their roster if they do count as large, so there's that I suppose.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Neat, thanks. I'd never found much of a use for Direwolves at all except having a semi-sacrificial Direpack around to chase off skirmisher cav and maybe a unit or two to tie up archers. Hopefully this helps. Last question since its confused me since basically launch: the wolf/hound units count as large, right? They fill the role of light cavalry for all of their factions so it makes sense that they would, but on the other hand they're not exactly, well, large.

e: Actually, in the Beastmen roster they also get several other light cav analogues so I'm not entirely sure why Chaos/Poison hounds are in their roster if they do count as large, so there's that I suppose.

I don't have a firm answer, but I've had enough spearmen eaten alive by dogs/wolves that I'm pretty drat sure they don't count as large.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
A lot of cav can outrun blood knights so having a direpack or a wolfpack to tie them down or interrupt their charge can be useful.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sauer kraut posted:

A LL for Empire that doesn't suck chodes would be nice I suppose. Preferably free of charge.

I'd expect Valten would be on the cards at some stage.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
drat, Isabellas model looks rad as hell.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I cycle charge cavalry with mixed results. Many times I'm charging into the rear of an enemy unit tied up by my infantry, but it won't really do much damage or affect them much. Other times I'll end up trampling half their entire unit to death instantly and causing them to rout.

I feel like light cavalry is tricky to use because they're squishy and you never want to keep them in one place for long. I also prefer the sword and board variety over lances because they can get bogged down for a bit/you forget they're still in melee and they're not completely borked.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Valten would be a nice way to move Ghal Maraz to another character so that Karl Franz doesn't have a weapon that's the Reikland Runefang but Better.

Although I'm not sure what could be used to replace Franz's missing Ghal Maraz.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Fluff Q. How much worse are Bretonnian men-at-arms suppose to be compared to Empire state troops? Not really sure how you'd quantify it, but I know Bretonnia is mostly a cavalry side, but Empire doesn't have great infantry outside of greatswords, right? Are men-at-arms, in the fiction, basically equivalent to state troops? The wikis make it seem like men-at-arms are worse and treated poorly by their lords by comparison, but it's hard to tell how state troops are supposed to treated by their captains/generals themselves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lassitude posted:

Fluff Q. How much worse are Bretonnian men-at-arms suppose to be compared to Empire state troops? Not really sure how you'd quantify it, but I know Bretonnia is mostly a cavalry side, but Empire doesn't have great infantry outside of greatswords, right? Are men-at-arms, in the fiction, basically equivalent to state troops? The wikis make it seem like men-at-arms are worse and treated poorly by their lords by comparison, but it's hard to tell how state troops are supposed to treated by their captains/generals themselves.

Men-at-arms are supposed to be much worse than state troops in the fluff. The Empire has developed the concept of a professional army. Bretonnia has not.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
In terms of game mechanics, I think I remember Men at Arms having a pretty standard "human" statline, but with a few lower skills like leadership. Benefits were that they had decent armour, would not panic knights if they broke, and could use the leadership of nearby knightly units.
Not really going to win many fights for you, just hold units in place long enough for the knights to charge in

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wonder if the difference in terms of the campaign will be mostly demonstrated by not having an Honest Steel equivalent.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope that auto resolve doesnt get borked from having too much cav

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If any Bretonnians have a skill that does anything but make men-at-arms cheaper, they're doing Bretonnia wrong. You will die in one of your liege lord's stupid battles and like it.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Dragged out the ol' books. Versions might vary but men at arms were the same as empire spearmen statwise and lacking a point in weapon skill and initiative vs empire swordsmen. Their great advantage was being 4 points a model (including light armor) without any extra equipment which was basically as cheap as a human got in the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

If any Bretonnians have a skill that does anything but make men-at-arms cheaper, they're doing Bretonnia wrong. You will die in one of your liege lord's stupid battles and like it.
Cheaper and improving their Leadership.

e: Brets come 2/28, any word on when/if we get Isabella?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 15, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

State Troops also got the 'detachments' special rule.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Empire Soldier (swordsmen are slightly better)
WS 3 BS 3 S 3 T 3 W 1 I 3 A 1 Ld 7 Armor is either 6+ or 5+ depending on if they have shields or not. This is mostly Halberdiers and Spearmen. Unlike in Total War, Halberdiers are the same tier as spearmen, and have similar armor

Bretonnian Men-At-Arms
WS 2 BS 2 S 3 T 3 W 1 I 3 A 1 Ld 5 Armor is 5+. Their champion upgrade gives them Ld 6

Men-At-Arms are 2 points cheaper than halberds and swordsmen with equivalent equipment, 1 point cheaper than equivalent spearmen. Unless there's a knight nearby to bolster the M-A-A morale, they will last approximately one round against an equivalent unit of state troops, and inflict fewer casualties (though still an appreciable amount)

20 Men-At-Arms: 100 points
15 Halberds with shields: 105 points
Expected outcome of a round of combat, assuming standard 5 width: 3.3 dead halberdiers, 4.4 dead men-at-arms. Men-at-arms have about a 28% chance to stay and fight, otherwise they retreat. 72% chance to stay and fight if there's a knight nearby.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ravenfood posted:

e: Brets come 2/28, any word on when/if we get Isabella?

A pinned Creative Assembly comment on the Isabella video reads.

CA posted:

Isabella von Carstein is a new Legendary Lord that will be added for free with Bretonnia if we win the Make War Not Love competition currently ongoing.
For more info please visit https://www.makewarnotlove.com

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What if they don't win, not that there's any chance they won't?

Bretonnia is gonna be a lot of fun because viable low-tier cavalry is sorely lacking in a lot of other races and will RESOUNDINGLY poo poo ALL OVER THE ELFS WITH ANY LUCK.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

jokes posted:

What if they don't win, not that there's any chance they won't?

Bretonnia is gonna be a lot of fun because viable low-tier cavalry is sorely lacking in a lot of other races and will RESOUNDINGLY poo poo ALL OVER THE ELFS WITH ANY LUCK.

I didn't think about it until right now but i do suppose that the cavalry faction would mess up the archer faction a bit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Why is the site for that contest so resoundingly awful? I can't log in.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Help...chaos armies are killing my Empire armies.

Help.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So if they don't win are they just going to delete isabella.dat?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
They'll delete the vampire counts entirely

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So if they don't win are they just going to delete isabella.dat?

It'll be included in a later free/paid dlc

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Help.

Get more chickens.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

wiegieman posted:

Maybe it's the CK2 player in me but I just found myself nodding at this. I'm a bad person.

I haven't played a Total War game in a long time but I'm loving the hell out of this. Having a tough time as VC against Dwarves though.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Until you get AP units in all of your stacks, fighting Dwarfs will always be a pain especially if you have little or no artillery to force them to waddle to you.

Also never fight underway battles against Dwarfs if you can. Even the AI could probably abuse the corridor map with Dwarfs.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Trying to figure out which characters are the "super-Legendary" Lords for each race. You know, LLs that are deliberately overpowered for lore reasons, like Vlad von Carstein for the vampires and Grombrindal for the Dwarfs.

Empire could go with Valten, Bretonnia could have the Green Knight/Gilles le Breton if they don't add Legendary Heroes, but the Greenskins have me stumped.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Trying to figure out which characters are the "super-Legendary" Lords for each race. You know, LLs that are deliberately overpowered for lore reasons, like Vlad von Carstein for the vampires and Grombrindal for the Dwarfs.

Empire could go with Valten, Bretonnia could have the Green Knight/Gilles le Breton if they don't add Legendary Heroes, but the Greenskins have me stumped.

Greenskins don't have one because that kind of cheating is weedy and grot-like. :orks:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjO8XmcEGmk

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Help.

Bring more ap, have 4 cannons/some handgunners, use cav, bring one type of wizard (more if they have arcane conduit). If it's a huge stack of marauder horsemen then just autoresolve.

toasterwarrior posted:

In multi, Vlad's not actally as good as Mannfred right now now. VC need Mannfred for his power generation since he's their only source of it and magic = zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

Local Region and Local Province are indeed mechanically distinct things. Regions make up a province. You can see this easily with the Castellan-Engineer office for the Empire. -10% construction cost in the local region. Try moving the lord with that title around in a province and see how costs change depending on which settlement/region he's in.

Aha! Thank you! This is what it was, not a wizard but Gelt himself (before I promoted him to Supreme Patriarch) loving up my early financial plans. Honestly it isn't a HUGE amount of money, but before getting any good trade or Marienburg it helps with recruiting that first stack without putting building on hold. Minor grievance now, but I hope they patch that some day. Local Region is retarded and had me thinking I was crazy.

• Locked thread