Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
hey cdpr guy, did you do the panther POI in B&W?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

hey cdpr guy, did you do the panther POI in B&W?

Panther POI?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

Witcher 2 is 3 bucks, season pass for 3 is 15 as part of a huge rear end sale at GOG.com

Before I get my hopes up, is this something I can redeem on Steam? Or will I need a new, non-Steam Witcher 3 to use this?

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Why couldn't the game have Roach always be a sassy, talking horse? or maybe Geralt just needs to trip balls the whole time.

The thing that gets me about that quest:

Is just as it ends, and the shrooms are waning, there's a shot where Geralt looks incredibly sad. He hangs his head, climbs on Roach and rides off. It's probably the most honest sorrow that he could have felt. He names every horse Roach, and he went through a lot of them throughout his life. Naming each horse Roach isn't because he's lazy, but it's more about pretending that he's a constant, long lived companion. Roach doesn't complain, doesn't demand, and is just as stoic as Geralt himself. Being able to understand and talk to Roach is a dream come true to a lonely man. Like a child being able to talk to their favourite teddy bear.

Then it gets taken away.

Great quest Comte. Hope stuff like that is in Cyperpunk. :P I think old man Geralt gets a lot more of those shrooms, and instead of talking philosophy with Zoltan, he does it with Roach.

Bust Rodd posted:

Before I get my hopes up, is this something I can redeem on Steam? Or will I need a new, non-Steam Witcher 3 to use this?

GOG is completely separate. Won't work with the Steam version.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 15, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bust Rodd posted:

No idea, all Gog stuff is DRM free but I don't know if they plug into steam games.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I finished the main game today after ~120 hours. I have 1 contract unsolved (the missing miners) cause I can't decide whether to kill the troll and get his liver for alchemy or spare him. I think I got a good ending, but it doesn't feel happy. Lesser evil indeed.
Now I am so looking forward to HoS and B&W and am reading the books again, it is nice to fill in gaps that way.

This is hands down the best RPG I have ever played.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What is going on in the south east of valen? The game hasn't even sent me anywhere near it yet and I've played for a billion hours.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Skwirl posted:

No idea, all Gog stuff is DRM free but I don't know if they plug into steam games.
I think they give you a steam key if you ask, so you can play the steam version instead? I'm sure I remember reading something like that before. Maybe contact their support about it.

Paul Zuvella posted:

What is going on in the south east of valen? The game hasn't even sent me anywhere near it yet and I've played for a billion hours.
IIRC no quest ever sends you there, just pop down and check it out.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Maybe a treasure hunt or two will send you nearby, but that area is pretty much optional. I think some cut content must have been there - though it has some interesting quests, as well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The CDPR guy who posts here on more than one occasion has vented about a whole quest line involving the nilfgaardian camp/area being cut down to a couple quests down there

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 15, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The mother looking for her soldier son who stopped sending letters was a shockingly emotional quest for me, just really felt for that lady. That one's in SE Velen.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

There's a big Nilfgaardian army camp down there. But you can't go inside and there's maybe one or two quests related to it, but nothing too interesting.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm balls deep in this game at this point so i started wiki-ing some stuff and it sounds like a lot of the super expensive end game stuff is basically only attainable with money/time if you loop around in ng+? As someone who was just planning to do everything on a single save and not touch ng+ will i be missing out? considering how disgustingly clogged with sidequests my journal is with only having completed searching for ciri in velen and skellige i can't possibly imagine stomaching starting all over in ng+ unless i brute force the main storyline asap.

also i have been playing a ton of gwent and hear tell i lose all the cards i've been meticulously collecting which sounds horrible

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't really wiki it at all but the only things I can think of that you'd need NG+ for is Blood & Wine content- there's a quest where you get new mutation powers and four more perk slots, which you can only unlock one or two of in a single playthrough. You also get a sword which does extra damage the more enemies you kill, which can get very powerful in NG+ but you don't need it. The game didn't launch with NG+ so nothing in the base game is likely to require it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Nah, you'll easily be able to pay for everything in one playthrough. The only real issue will be if you try and make every single piece of the highest tier armour and weapons, and even then it's just a bit grindy to get the cash. Totally doable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cowcaster posted:

i'm balls deep in this game at this point so i started wiki-ing some stuff and it sounds like a lot of the super expensive end game stuff is basically only attainable with money/time if you loop around in ng+? As someone who was just planning to do everything on a single save and not touch ng+ will i be missing out? considering how disgustingly clogged with sidequests my journal is with only having completed searching for ciri in velen and skellige i can't possibly imagine stomaching starting all over in ng+ unless i brute force the main storyline asap.

also i have been playing a ton of gwent and hear tell i lose all the cards i've been meticulously collecting which sounds horrible

You might miss some items, but it's just slightly different armor and if you can beat the game without it, there's no reason to care.Blood and wine should throw you enough money to make every single Witcher armor and give you stands to display them all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, with the expansions added you should have more than enough money for everything without doing New Game+, even with the monkey sink rune-merchant added in Heart of Stone.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hopper posted:

I finished the main game today after ~120 hours. I have 1 contract unsolved (the missing miners) cause I can't decide whether to kill the troll and get his liver for alchemy or spare him. I think I got a good ending, but it doesn't feel happy. Lesser evil indeed.
Now I am so looking forward to HoS and B&W and am reading the books again, it is nice to fill in gaps that way.

This is hands down the best RPG I have ever played.

HoS is an extremely well-done and tight storyline. I'd argue it's the best piece of Witcher content CDPR has done.

IMPORTANT When you get to the wedding in HoS, the very first thing you should do is lose the Gwent game to the halflings. Lose it. Trust me.

B&W is basically an epilogue to the whole Witcher series, do it last.

Edit: also they obviously spent a lot more effort making boss fights harder in the expansions. It's still not too bad even on the highest difficulties, but you'll notice a difficulty spike.

I agree, it's definitely the best RPG I've played and I started with stuff like Baldur's Gate 1 way back in the 90s. The environments, animations, voice-acting, writing, and music are all great and are fantastic at delivering real emotion to players. I think the combat is decent and the inventory/crafting system a bit of a mess but those aren't the focus of the game anyway.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 15, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Why couldn't the game have Roach always be a sassy, talking horse? or maybe Geralt just needs to trip balls the whole time.

I mean, my versionmore or less pops some home-cooked drugs like four times a combat

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

HoS is an extremely well-done and tight storyline. I'd argue it's the best piece of Witcher content CDPR has done.

B&W is basically an epilogue to the whole Witcher series, do it last.

Super agree with both of these.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TenaciousD posted:

The thing that gets me about that quest:

Is just as it ends, and the shrooms are waning, there's a shot where Geralt looks incredibly sad. He hangs his head, climbs on Roach and rides off. It's probably the most honest sorrow that he could have felt. He names every horse Roach, and he went through a lot of them throughout his life. Naming each horse Roach isn't because he's lazy, but it's more about pretending that he's a constant, long lived companion. Roach doesn't complain, doesn't demand, and is just as stoic as Geralt himself. Being able to understand and talk to Roach is a dream come true to a lonely man. Like a child being able to talk to their favourite teddy bear.

Then it gets taken away.

Great quest Comte. Hope stuff like that is in Cyperpunk. :P I think old man Geralt gets a lot more of those shrooms, and instead of talking philosophy with Zoltan, he does it with Roach.

GOG is completely separate. Won't work with the Steam version.

Yea that quest was great, and I never, ever thought of that but yea, that makes perfect sense. It's like when Geralt started the Tourney I had him pledge to his lady "that I will not name", because he cannot truely choose.

And I didn't realize Witcher from GoG was through its own storefront not steam, which made me sad. Same thing happened when I bought GTA5 at Xmas from GMG.

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, my versionmore or less pops some home-cooked drugs like four times a combat

I banged all the hookers, and some would snort something out of a vial, I assume that was supposed to be fistech?

Wow, I was not expecting that blatant a reference to game of thrones in B&W. Oh what trophies can I put in Geralt's bedroom? I have tons of monster heads but it says I don't have any matching items.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 15, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait, so is it kosher to completely abstain from the dlc missions until the main story is completed? i'm level 15ish on death march and i've already managed to punch above my weight class doing a level 24 side mission through liberal use of quen and igni and was considering trying the dlc stuff early because i don't want to "miss it" by hauling through the main quest.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Absolutely. You can do HoS before you finish, and it will have slightly different dialogue in some areas, but yeah waiting until you've finished the main quest works completely.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's a race in HoS that you can win an amazing saddle which will make it possible to just blaze through every regular race. I wish I could remember where it is, but the race itself isn't that hard even with saddles you can get in the base game.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, I was not expecting that blatant a reference to game of thrones in B&W. Oh what trophies can I put in Geralt's bedroom? I have tons of monster heads but it says I don't have any matching items.

There's 3 specific trophies you get from side quests. Fighting tournament, Gwent tournament, and horse racing, I think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I did the Baron's Questline again only this time I freed She Who Knows and saw Anna die.
I was always afraid to do it this way because I liked the other ending, but wow, that one might just be better.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I did the Baron's Questline again only this time I freed She Who Knows and saw Anna die.
I was always afraid to do it this way because I liked the other ending, but wow, that one might just be better.

That's part of the reason I started wiki crawling because i wasn't quite sure if i had hosed up or not, and i'm still not sure if i hosed up or not

feels good man

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it might've worked a little better narratively if you at least saw the stupid little shits you bothered to save at least once after you let the spirit free. the fact they vanish from the narrative regardless one way or the other makes the outcome feel more "bad" when the rear end in a top hat wifebeater hangs himself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cowcaster posted:

i think it might've worked a little better narratively if you at least saw the stupid little shits you bothered to save at least once after you let the spirit free. the fact they vanish from the narrative regardless one way or the other makes the outcome feel more "bad" when the rear end in a top hat wifebeater hangs himself.

I did a sequence break once where you free the tree spirit before meeting the Crones, and you can meet the children at the orphanage in Novigrad while you're searching for Dandelion. Did you ever check there after freeing the spirit?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

I did a sequence break once where you free the tree spirit before meeting the Crones, and you can meet the children at the orphanage in Novigrad while you're searching for Dandelion. Did you ever check there after freeing the spirit?

I did not! I did not even know that was a place, but also I haven't searched for Dandelion yet (tried to sequence break by doing Skellige first). Please disregard my previous post.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cowcaster posted:

Children's fate If you release the spirit it keeps its word and the children are saved. They end up in a school in Novigrad. You end up going there for the main quest Broken Flowers. The children play outside and are named but I think they must have had their memory wiped because they don't recognise Geralt. There's also a note on Marabelles? desk saying that the children suddenly appeared on her doorstep and were fast asleep and that she assumes they came from Velen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Helith posted:

Children's fate If you release the spirit it keeps its word and the children are saved. They end up in a school in Novigrad. You end up going there for the main quest Broken Flowers. The children play outside and are named but I think they must have had their memory wiped because they don't recognise Geralt. There's also a note on Marabelles? desk saying that the children suddenly appeared on her doorstep and were fast asleep and that she assumes they came from Velen.

Question about the crones If you release the spirit does it help to kill all three crones, because one getting away pissed me off

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Skwirl posted:

Question about the crones If you release the spirit does it help to kill all three crones, because one getting away pissed me off

Nah I think the only way to kill the final crone is to do the bad dad ending

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like how there's a book that better clears up the relationship between the spirit and the crones that likely no one will ever read, and better when you ask the crones to uphold their end of the bargain they say something along the lines of "a word given must be upheld", which the spirit echoes verbatim when you ask it to uphold its end of the bargain with saving the children

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

of course it's possible that's just a sloppy writer repeating themself but nice if it was intentional

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought those kids were only there if you didn't sequence break making their fate a lot more ambiguous if you do things out of order.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ravenfood posted:

I thought those kids were only there if you didn't sequence break making their fate a lot more ambiguous if you do things out of order.

They were there when I saw it. Maybe it glitched out?

Also, who designed the Aketon armours, and what were they thinking?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 15, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

wait, so is it kosher to completely abstain from the dlc missions until the main story is completed? i'm level 15ish on death march and i've already managed to punch above my weight class doing a level 24 side mission through liberal use of quen and igni and was considering trying the dlc stuff early because i don't want to "miss it" by hauling through the main quest.

The game expects you to do the DLCs after completing the main quest, though there's no real reason not to just do them as soon as you're high enough level.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think HOS works right when you hit lvl 30, even though you've not beaten the game at that time.

B&W is definitely an post-game mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hobo Clown posted:

There's 3 specific trophies you get from side quests. Fighting tournament, Gwent tournament, and horse racing, I think.

Ah okay. Also, the tool type says I need to complete a quest to open up the mutation research, but I don't see one in my side quests and i can only dissemble mutagens, so I clearly haven't done it already.

And I figured out why I failed to complete the Yenn romance quest, I apparently didn't visit her.