Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Needing to publicly shame Wargaming to get them to do their jobs is somewhere around despair and par for the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What the hell is a Krasny Krym

Clarence
May 3, 2012

A punishment.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wdarkk posted:

Yeah back when I was willing to go into ranked I saw that a few times from both sides.

Why don't you play ranked anymore. Even if you don't give 2 cents, I find that the atmosphere is much more cooperative and enjoyable. No total dickheads and the smaller team sizes leads to less random bullshit like 5 DD meta. I guess it helps I have a ship at T7 that I adore.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What the hell is a Krasny Krym

its a Krispy Kreme donut, they just misspelled

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Hazdoc posted:

its a Krispy Kreme donut, they just misspelled

Soft, squishy armor, and long reloads.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Clarence posted:

A punishment.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

ranbo das posted:

Well my ticket finally got a satisfactory answer

lol

Congrats on getting the worst premium ship in the entire game, I demand a trip report!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Presumably, they'll be getting a free port slot so it's not a total waste. It's still a bit insulting though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blindeye posted:

Congrats on getting the worst premium ship in the entire game, I demand a trip report!

Bet this is their way of backhandedly getting revenge for the reddit post.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Trip report: it's slow, weak, and it (and its flaws) can be seen from miles away. Really only good for starting fires for other people to put out. 10/10 very accurate representation of WG customer service. 3/10 in terms of ship quality tho.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks DUNKN bros for helping with the 5 win in a division mission for the useful camo tonight.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ranbo das posted:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5srlMjz5ePs

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

El Disco posted:

So hungry for the kill that they threw the game. I had a ranked match like that recently. They had a Kiev and we had 2 BBs, but were were down a huge amount of points and weren't going to make up the difference with caps before time ran out. All the Kiev had to do was stop shooting and run away and they would have won on points. But no, he had to keep trying to set them on fire at range and you can only dodge so many salvos from a Colorado and Gneiss before one hits home.

I had a game like that where we were winning on points, I was last one alive on my side with 5000 hp in my Belfast and they had a single Sharnhorst with around 4000 hp left. So obviously i hid rather than engage in some sort of lottery. Cue 2 members of my team shouting at me to go get him and berating me for choosing to win instead.

I've not played Ranked before but I'm finding it quite fun. Its much easier to carry and the smaller pool of ships makes it easier to know everyone's capabilities.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
When does valentines division camo end?

Also, I like how in Flamu's Gneis ranked video he said "before rank five, you pretty much have to solo carry" to make steady progress. Also, it was pretty cool how he purposely got spotted so the enemy ships would reveal themselves. I was in a match over the weekend where it was one BB and the rest cruisers per side and our Colorado kept screaming at us to spot for him. That guy had rage issues.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Every time I get to 16 and 1 star I get a team of such utter subhuman scum that even Flamu on acid on the luckiest day of his life couldn't carry the useless fucks to a win.

Dipshit in the Polish DD who smoked himself in, and then missed an equally Gneis with torpedoes at less than 5km three salvos in a row got top spot with cap xp, and mouthing off in a pm window about how great he is. this after I killed the Mahan and Atlanta, ie the only threats to him in the game. How do these people even cross the street without dying?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 15, 2017

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

ranbo das posted:

lol

:laffo:
So this is why you see them in game

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

xXWehrabooXx posted:

:laffo:
So this is why you see them in game

Well they were on sale for a short period of time, which is funny because it's not worth any positive amount of money.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

57k damage loss in my Belfast, finished second behind a sniper Nagato after a points loss. 39 battles, 44k average damage, to go from rank 19 and 1 star to rank 17 and no stars, 38% win rate.

gently caress ranked off and never bring it back.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I liked ranked. The Sims is pretty much my jam and if I can't carry with it I can sure as gently caress make sure I get top XP. Team falls apart 3 minutes into the game? gently caress it I'm stealth torping and kill stealing the rest of the match. Works a charm.

Edit: Had to look and I have played 50 rounds and went from rank 23 to one star into 11.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 15, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

gently caress ranked off and never bring it back.

Unlike poo poo like getting Ocean or Bastion mode, you have a choice here. Just, uh, don't play ranked.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
35 battles in Belfast to get to Rank 10, with a 60% win rate. Belfast is good, but isn't super OP in ranked like everyone thought it would be. It's just not a brawler and BBs know to charge the smoke at this point. Reasonably easy to be top XP at least. I have 300+ Random Battles in the Belfast so it's not like I'm a fair-weather captain just buying one for ranked.

mik fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 15, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Patch notes:

"Fixed an issue that caused unpurchased Premium ships to be displayed without their permanent camouflage"

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

mik posted:

35 battles in Belfast to get to Rank 10, with a 60% win rate. Belfast is good, but isn't super OP in ranked like everyone thought it would be. It's just not a brawler and BBs know to charge the smoke at this point. Reasonably easy to be top XP at least. I have 300+ Random Battles in the Belfast so it's not like I'm a fair-weather captain just buying one for ranked.

It's pretty OP, the amount of DPS you bring to the table with little to no counterplay is frankly absurd.

It's not as simple as just BBs charging smoke. If you positioned well, anyone doing that simply gets punished from supporting BBs and torpedo equipped ships.

That relies on teammates not being total donks but my Gneizenau or any BBQ really requires teammates to shield them from DDs who themselves count on BBs to pressure enemy cruisers.

Overall though, the Belfast is one if the best ships in ranked and if you can't carry in a Belfast, you can't really carrying any ship at all

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mik posted:

I disagree with your assessment, and here's why:

Firstly, this season's ranked meta is entirely defined by Belfasts being in the match; much like last season's ships to pick were DDs with plenty of torps and long smokes, radar-equipped cruisers, this season's ships to pick are those that can either survive long enough to damage a Belfast, or can detect her in her smoke cloud.

Secondly, the Belfast's is incredibly effective. IFHE, DE, and Adenaline rush means her damage output is very high, and she's equally effective against BBs, most other cruisers, and DDs alike. Games of two radar cruisers and 5 DDs aren't happening this season because a Belfast will completely obliterate one-two enemy DDs per radar charge, and she's effectively invulnerable to torps walls due to her hydro, acceleration, and turn rate. She can sit in her smoke cloud effectively firing on enemy targets with no counter other than another Belfast radar'ing her, or a man-mode Scharnhorst or Gneisenau rushing the smoke.

I think this season's top picks (disagreeing with Flamu slightly) are Scharnhorst and Gneise, Belfast and Myoko, Leningrad and Blys.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I'm not saying it's not good, or among the best options, just that it's not super OP. The close-quarters nature of ranked, particularly epicentre, is not really a strength of the Belfast, barring the ability to radar everyone hiding in smoke. I still think it's relatively more OP in Random than Ranked. Perhaps there's also a bit of focus-fire happening in Ranked when there's a Belfast spotted.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just hit rank 15, since my time has been limited. Hasn't been bad so far...I think I've lost 4 matches total (2 of which were in an Atlanta and a Blys). The Gneis and Scharn are both powerhouses, and I feel bad when I see a Colorado.

My last match, we had an AFK (loaded in, sailed to a corner and stopped...never moved again) Atlanta on the team and a Colorado that loaded in late and got killed about a minute after he did, so carrying the rest of my team to this win felt pretty great.

I'm not sure if NTRabbit is just having terrible luck, but I'm having a blast and loving my ~66% win rate.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 15, 2017

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Every time I get to 16 and 1 star I get a team of such utter subhuman scum that even Flamu on acid on the luckiest day of his life couldn't carry the useless fucks to a win.

Dipshit in the Polish DD who smoked himself in, and then missed an equally Gneis with torpedoes at less than 5km three salvos in a row got top spot with cap xp, and mouthing off in a pm window about how great he is. this after I killed the Mahan and Atlanta, ie the only threats to him in the game. How do these people even cross the street without dying?

You're stuck on Rank 16? :laffo:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

You're stuck on Rank 16? :laffo:

Went between 17 and 0 stars and 16 and 1 star 4 times today.

The last time I was at 16 and 1 my team was on Neighbor, and we all went to B, except for our Nagato who sailed to the trio of southern islands and hid behind them, and a Pensacola who did likewise on the furthest north island.

The time before that, we had a Ranger, Colorado, and Myoko vs a Blisslewhissle, and they won on points because the Myoko was being an edgelord, and then he ran away from the DD instead of continuing to drive towards it in the cap when the Ranger found it with bombers and left it with 3k hp, this after I soloed a Nagato and a Colorado in my Belfast for the burning poo poo medal.

There was a guy called latincell on, saw him maybe 7 times on either side, always in a Colorado, always afk for the first 3-4 minutes, always died either straightlining into torps or giving broadside to other battleships. These are the people infesting ranked.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

There was a guy called latincell on, saw him maybe 7 times on either side, always in a Colorado, always afk for the first 3-4 minutes, always died either straightlining into torps or giving broadside to other battleships. These are the people infesting ranked.

Hey! That's the Colorado that was AFK at the beginning of my last match. And promptly ate a full broadside of Maas torps after driving in a straight line directly into them.

Good to see he's consistent, at least.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I compounded my poor decision to buy a Warspite by spending the package's doubloons on an Ishizuchi and dumping my idle 13-point Mogami captain on it.

...It actually works pretty well. :unsmith:

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Almost have my Southern Dragon. So far the Furutaka and Kirov have both been a lot of fun. The Kuma was a great experience as well.

If I don't want to spend cash on a Belfast, what are some other good options for ranked?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I agree with Hazdoc (thank you) on just playing one ship and for me I think it's the Scharnhorst. I like the Belfast, but my aggressive play style and the nature of ranked means I either have an awesome game or get focused down quickly because I'm not in a good position. I agree it's not super OP. Strong, yes, but it's stronger in random.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Big McHuge posted:

Almost have my Southern Dragon. So far the Furutaka and Kirov have both been a lot of fun. The Kuma was a great experience as well.

If I don't want to spend cash on a Belfast, what are some other good options for ranked?

Hell the Southern Dragon/Myoko is a good choice. It has speed, fairly decent stealth, is the tankiest tier 7 cruiser, sets fires on BBs well, its AP is very good against tier 7 cruisers, and it has 10km torps (albeit ones that shoot only when turned away, kiting an enemy).

The strategy that took me a long time to get used to (it was my first tier 7 cruiser and I stopped playing it for a while until I learned higher tier cruiser play some) is that the guns are too slow turning and awkward to brawl. You do have a very high alpha damage potential, decent stealth, and good sped, though, with fast shell velocities. Use stealth to close the distance and find the right angle of attack on enemies, fire one or two salvos until you are targeted, then stealth back up and withdraw.

Set fires when you can, but remember to use AP on broadside cruisers, and plan your routes so you can turn/reposition without giving the enemy a broadside to shoot at. At the ranges you'll want to engage BBs, nose-in or kiting away, you should have enough reaction time to avoid being crushed with severe AP damage.

The only downside to not using a premium ship in ranked is it is that much harder to be top XP on a loss.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Blindeye posted:

The only downside to not using a premium ship in ranked is it is that much harder to be top XP on a loss.

XP bonuses from things like premium camo are applied to base XP. Base XP is what's displayed on the Team Results screen and determines your place on the team. So using a premium ship has no effect on getting top XP on your team.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Premium ships have a built in base xp modifier that's higher than regular ships. They also earn more credits. It's just built into the hull so it does get counted towards top of the team.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I played ranked in 2 spurts. One from 23 to 15, now 15 to 12, all in the Belfast. It's so easy. If you have a decent team, you carry them to a victory. If it's a potato team, you'll still have no trouble ending up on the top and won't lose any stars.

Next goal is 12 to 10, then I'll stop playing. There's no good rewards beyond that rank, and I'm not going to invest that much time to get to rank 1 let alone do that poo poo 3 times to get a Flint.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Sperglord Actual posted:

I compounded my poor decision to buy a Warspite by spending the package's doubloons on an Ishizuchi and dumping my idle 13-point Mogami captain on it.

...It actually works pretty well. :unsmith:

It's pretty good. Carriers will really wreck your poo poo however

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Iceshade posted:

Next goal is 12 to 10, then I'll stop playing. There's no good rewards beyond that rank, and I'm not going to invest that much time to get to rank 1 let alone do that poo poo 3 times to get a Flint.

It does seem like they gutted ranked rewards this season to coincide with the largely useless alternative ship equipment. This alongside a reduction of signal flags that you receive from containers sure makes it seem like a money grab to sell signals through the cash shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

It's pretty good. Carriers will really wreck your poo poo however

I got one in a Santa container and I hate it.
Poor armor, poor range, poor volume of fire poor accuracy, no AA.
It's like a worse Wyoming. At least it doesn't overpen cruisers too much I guess.