Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

boredsatellite posted:

If people want to see more of the stuff Robin from Hooked (the german reaction dude) also got to play it and he shows off way more of the stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbTdPIUNfuY&t=679s

A lot more spoilery as it showcases more of the locations in general and I linked to how the death system works

I guess this is great for the few germans amongst us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

From what I've read of the supplemental material & explanations it seems more like humanity and the replicants are both doomed because the replicant reproduction process is reliant on the gestalts. So once the current generation dies out only the other android observers will be left. Yonah will still die eventually & so will everyone else unless there are other stable gestalts like Nier out there somewhere to use as the backbone of the process (but it's heavily implied he's the only one they managed to discover/use in all the time before that). To me it seems like the overall theme & what we may see again in Automata is the struggle around the birth of new sentient life
He's the only one they discovered in Japan, but I think they explicitly said in some of the sidematter that there were others in other locations - and also androids that sucked less at their jobs so the replicants and gestalts didn't end up being afraid of each other and fighting to the death - and that's why humanity didn't die out. I think.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I'm really glad they mentioned 9S' AI can be tinkered with to make him more active and that he can actually prove useful in battle; in all the previews and trailers so far he's been so passive, I was worried that even Platinum couldn't fix the useless AI sidekick syndrome that's always plagued the series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not going to let my AI buddy attack at all so I can hog all the coolness for myself unless it's the really cute short haired A2 from that trailer because she is cute and that's the only thing that matters.

I can't wait for this game to come out, but I'm going to and get the EU release from Amazon instead of a JP digital copy or import because it comes with an Emil head T-Shirt for like £2 more than the regular version of the game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If anyone else is going in to Automata without any prior Yoko Taro experience and wants a summary of the previous games, this is the first one I've seen that didn't just confuse me. It's by someone whose both clearly hugely obsessive with the series and also capable of talking about it in a well organized manner. It covers both the games and side material chronologically in less than 30 minutes, admittedly glossing over a lot of details. But if that's the price of actually being comprehensible, I'll take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0

(So basically I learned that this poo poo is all just loving insane.)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The shorter version is, never play Drakengard and/or/especially Nier. It will only hurt you and break your heart.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nier broke my heart but I don't regret a thing.

I platinum'd that fucker too.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Nier has completely broken me and I can't wait for more

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
People keep posting that 30 minute lore summary on each page and I'm not 30 minutes worth of interested. Someone needs to make like a 100 word summary.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

People keep posting that 30 minute lore summary on each page and I'm not 30 minutes worth of interested. Someone needs to make like a 100 word summary.

here's 8: shits hosed don't matter 7000 year time skip

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Here's a few

Big bad Prince man who likes murder kills a big ugly singing baby maker who then dies to fighter jets from Tokyo

Tokyo and the world gets hosed, skipped a few hundred years and a man kills himself for daughter and kills himself again for his lover or what skip more years and you have robots

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Saint Freak posted:

If you really don't care why bother with that.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

HOLY poo poo SALT DEMONS. [10,000+ years later] HOLY poo poo ALIENS.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I forgot if they showed 2B's eyes before, so I thought one of the big reveals was going to be her bandages(?) falling away and surprise she has red eyes oh poo poo!!

I mean the twins I can't recall the name of have had their red eyes highlighted in trailers already (and I'm pretty sure those sweet tats of theirs has something to do with a certain red dragon) but still.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Also re: the death system, what a great way of incorporating the story's themes into the gameplay. Fighting your own corrupted former body??? I love that. Also guess it explains how 2B and 9S survived the ending of the demo...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sure it's all gonna end in tears and tragedy but we'll have some laughs along the way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gibbering posted:

HOLY poo poo SALT DEMONS. [10,000+ years later] HOLY poo poo ALIENS.

this really pretty much is it. Add in "HOLY poo poo PLAGUE" and boom, all you really need to know. poo poo's hosed, it was hosed tens of thousands of years ago, you will never fix the loving but maybe you can make a decent life for yourself and those you care about.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Okay, I've only learned the story from summaries and bits of LPs, but I'm up for a challenge:

Acts by powerful entities can split reality. Christ's death caused a split. One side became our world, the other a magic land (when matter from one reality leaks into another it causes magic). In magic land, beings called watchers want to kill humans. They possess people, it's indicated by red eyes. During a big fight, they cross into our world. Now they possess people here. When someone refuses possession, they die. To survive this, humanity split their souls from their bodies, planning to reunite when the watcher's attacks subside. It goes poorly. Humans move to the moon.

Exactly 100 words.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 15, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I knew literally nothing about Drakengard before and for some time after I played Nier and I never felt like I missed anything so I don't think a 30 minute video is really going to be necessary for Automata. The first game probably isn't necessary.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I knew literally nothing about Drakengard before and for some time after I played Nier and I never felt like I missed anything so I don't think a 30 minute video is really going to be necessary for Automata. The first game probably isn't necessary.

Yeah, they've straight up said you don't need to know anything at all, it just adds some extra depth. Like people earlier knowing that the robots in the recent promo vid are wearing masks from a village in the previous game. Or knowing that one of the red-eyed androids has a tattoo of the Cult of the Watchers and that the Robo Buddy has a flower similar to the evil one in Drakengard 3.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Sure it's all gonna end in tears and tragedy but we'll have some laughs along the way.

I have faith that my friend 2B will save everyone and make it all better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm looking forward to killing the moon in true platinum games style.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can't wait to go on adventures with my drone buddy and make friends with the animals and probably be best robo-buds with all the robots at the end. :3:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hurry up march I need this game

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I know some people don't take their scoring too seriously, but Automata got a 39/40 score from Famitsu (for reference, original NieR scored 34/40). All around high marks for gameplay, story, graphics and music. Apparently load times can be a little prolonged?

Length-wise, it will take around 10 hours to reach the first ending, 30 hours to reach the final ending, and if you do all the side quests, clocks in at around 50 hours. Also, dying before the completing the very first stage apparently nets you a special bonus ending.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Looks like the first thing I'll do in the game is commit suicide.

...this seems very appropriate.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

a kitten posted:

I can't wait to go on adventures with my drone buddy and make friends with the animals and probably be best robo-buds with all the robots at the end. :3:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Gibbering posted:

Looks like the first thing I'll do in the game is commit suicide.

...this seems very appropriate.

And with this game it's easier than ever, don't even need to leave the menu! :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Saint Freak posted:

Drakengard: Humanity is gangfucked by the gods/terrifying space babies, hero and dragon fall through portal to our world, both die
Post-Drakengard/Pre-Nier - Humanity is gangfucked by magic plague/salt zombies, almost everyone dies, but some are saved due to science magic
Nier: Humanity is gangfucked by shadow monsters/a different magic plague, a few people die, then everyone dies
Post-Nier/Pre-Automata - Humanity is gangfucked by aliens/robots, humanity, finally seeing a pattern emerging, fucks off to the moon, makes better robots with magnificent asses
Automata - robots with magnificent asses beat up other robots. That's it, that's the game.

Is that a hundred words?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yoko Taro's working on a smartphone game for Square.

http://sinoalice.jp/

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Maybe he can get permanent employment again :unsmith:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I'm dying to know when the PC release is cuz otherwise I'm buying a PS4.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I'm dying to know when the PC release is cuz otherwise I'm buying a PS4.

I bought one pretty much for this and Bloodborne and have zero regrets.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Here's to hoping it's literally just the gardening sidequest from Nier.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

a kitten posted:

I bought one pretty much for this and Bloodborne and have zero regrets.
Same, except also Final Fantasy XV and Yakuza 0. Batting three for three so far!

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PC
when
PC
when
PC
when

Adbot