Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Degenerate Star posted:

They fixed Folsom dam a couple of years ago when they realized that it would kill like a bazillion people if it failed. Maybe the potentially dead people in front of Oroville are less valuable.

impossible

all people are worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm from California and I say shut the gently caress up Moridin

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whens it supposed to start raining again? Tomorrow right? :munch:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Whens it supposed to start raining again? Tomorrow right? :munch:

After midnight, so they say.

Wednesday Night 100 % Precip. / 1.35 in
Cloudy with heavy rain developing after midnight. Low 52F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.

Thursday 100 % Precip. / 0.84 in
Rain. High 54F. Winds SSE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall may reach one inch. Localized flooding is possible.

Thursday Night 70 % Precip. / 0.07 in
A steady light rain early...then remaining cloudy with a few showers. Low 48F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

etc.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Xaris posted:

nugget is a cool grocery store

a whole foods in davis just closed down and a planned whole foods in midtown sac was canceled because they cant compete with nugget in the sacramento area

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Hi thread, I've been working with FEMA and CA DWR on this the past week on assessing the situation. There's been a steady downgrading of potential rain predictions which, possibly in conjunction with repair work (I have no idea on that front beyond public news), have made authorities confident enough to lift the order.

One thing I've been busy trying to setup is radar imaging that can produce ground deformation maps. We typically use this for earthquakes but it makes sense for structural integrity in this case. Hopefully in a few days I can post some ground deformation maps for the thread when this guy goes overhead.

e: Wow, I can't stop working even on the forums.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

guidoanselmi posted:

Hi thread, I've been working with FEMA and CA DWR on this the past week on assessing the situation. There's been a steady downgrading of potential rain predictions which, possibly in conjunction with repair work (I have no idea on that front beyond public news), have made authorities confident enough to lift the order.

One thing I've been busy trying to setup is radar imaging that can produce ground deformation maps. We typically use this for earthquakes but it makes sense for structural integrity in this case. Hopefully in a few days I can post some ground deformation maps for the thread when this guy goes overhead.

Keep up the good work.

:yeah:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

guidoanselmi posted:

When do you start herding them into death camps or is that a different department within FEMA

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

the great deceiver posted:

a whole foods in davis just closed down and a planned whole foods in midtown sac was canceled because they cant compete with nugget in the sacramento area

haha i don't remember there being a whole foods when I lived in davis, actually was that near the richards blvd tunnel where borders or w/e used to be?

but yeah Nugget is basically all the fancy hippy glutten-free glitz of Whole Foods at like 1/2 the price, also actually good produce. i miss having a nugget available since safeway sucks rear end

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ork of Fiction posted:

After midnight, so they say.

Wednesday Night 100 % Precip. / 1.35 in
Cloudy with heavy rain developing after midnight. Low 52F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.

Thursday 100 % Precip. / 0.84 in
Rain. High 54F. Winds SSE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall may reach one inch. Localized flooding is possible.

Thursday Night 70 % Precip. / 0.07 in
A steady light rain early...then remaining cloudy with a few showers. Low 48F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

etc.

An erection lasting longer than 4 hours means go to the hospital or your wiener will fall off, right?

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
Isn't there a movie about the dam bursting with Morgan Freeman? Where is Morgan Freeman when you need him?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

speaking as a californian, yes PLEASE it is really bad here don't come!!!! tell your goddamn stepford-raised basic-bitch picked-a-major-by-roi college students that this is NOT the hot trendy place to come anymore please tia

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

OMGVBFLOL posted:

speaking as a californian, yes PLEASE it is really bad here don't come!!!! tell your goddamn stepford-raised basic-bitch picked-a-major-by-roi college students that this is NOT the hot trendy place to come anymore please tia

yeah is terrible here please do not come

i will stay as a sacrifice to the rest of humanity

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

OMGVBFLOL posted:

ya this. we're full and don't need yet another boring pudging pasty white guy from Wisconsin or Kansas or some poo poo.

it's really bad here and we're flooded, and droughted, and full of illegal immigrants, and rolling brown outs u will lose internet during intense dota 2 match.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Please tell Californians that Texas is also terrible and it is riddled with guns and Republicans.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZHamburglar posted:

Please tell Californians that Texas is also terrible and it is riddled with guns and Republicans.

A bunch of signs around Austin that say "This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here."

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ZHamburglar posted:

nooooooo texas is great! there's lots of jobs and rent is cheap and the weather is nice! the lone star state shines for you! move to texas! especially if you recently moved to california

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ZHamburglar posted:

But that one is actually true…

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
your penis will be very big if you move to texas, if you know what i'm saying
:wink:
:wmwink:

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

Xaris posted:

your penis will be very big if you move to texas, if you know what i'm saying
:wink:
:wmwink:

I live here and can confirm that statement is false.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Sacramento update: someone got shot at the Golden corral next door to me.

guidoanselmi posted:

Give me a geologist job please

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 15, 2017

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That's what they get for cutting in line for the chocolate fountain (Chocolate dam?) IMO.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

OMGVBFLOL posted:

nooooooo texas is great! there's lots of jobs and rent is cheap and the weather is nice! the lone star state shines for you! move to texas! especially if you recently moved to california

Lots of tech jobs around Austin too, and housing is cheaper. If you are a social media developer or have dedicated your life to cranking property values as high as they can possibly go, I cannot recommend Texas highly enough. You will love it so much there you will never ever come back.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

IT'S NEVER GONNA BRRAK OP IS A GOD drat COCK TEASE

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

Sacramento update: someone got shot at the Golden corral next door to me.

which golden corral

i think theres one by me in south sac but im not sure

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

the great deceiver posted:

which golden corral

i think theres one by me in south sac but im not sure

The one on west Stockton by the river college

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Xaris posted:

haha i don't remember there being a whole foods when I lived in davis, actually was that near the richards blvd tunnel where borders or w/e used to be?

but yeah Nugget is basically all the fancy hippy glutten-free glitz of Whole Foods at like 1/2 the price, also actually good produce. i miss having a nugget available since safeway sucks rear end

yup im pretty sure thats exactly where it was, it's been a while since ive been to davis tho. theres still a whole foods in north sac and one in roseville i think but that's it in the sacramento area. nugget has been around for something like 75 goddamn years and has the sacramento market locked up. they just started expanding into the bay area too, theres one in vallejo, one in sonoma and one in i think marin.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I for real hope the dam doesn't collapse, can you imagine the influx of hipsters in Austin that would never talk about mission burritos again and pretend they've lived there their entire lives

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

The one on west Stockton by the river college

woah stay safe fellow south sac iraq goon

edit: im in greenhaven

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not so sure lifting the evacuation is a good idea.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

A bunch of signs around Austin that say "This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here."

Those aren't going to work until they get the monolithic spikes erected, but the NIMBY's have already started digging in their heels on them as far out as Round Rock.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

old fat bird posted:

I for real hope the dam doesn't collapse, can you imagine the influx of hipsters in Austin that would never talk about mission burritos again and pretend they've lived there their entire lives

thats not yolo county (despite what the name might make you think), the oroville area is all stoners and blue-collar workers for the most part. they'd probably mostly move to san antonio

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I want to know where exactly the hole in the emergency spillway is. Like, is it on top, or on the side, because it probably determines what a safe water level is in the reservoir. Also I'm getting pretty tired of saying the word 'spillway'

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

It's a crevice in the hillside, which will erode and undermine the concrete lip of the reservoir if water keeps going over the emergency spillway. The emergency spillway exists only in name, it's an engineering project which checked a box 50 years ago and is unusable without the whole hillside falling down.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Oh on the leeward side of the spillway? That's not so bad then. The top 30 feet that's compromised won't fail unless the reservoir gets above 902 feet. So there will be enough warning for everyone to get out.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I propose that if this dam never breaks, we kill the OP.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Dongattack posted:

I propose that if this dam never breaks, we kill the OP.

:fuckoff:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

And this guy.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You are a tedious bitch of a disaster tourist. Please gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006