Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ungulateman posted:

The trick is that 'the will of the Force' is actually Palpatine's will. Stover's doing the typical EU thing of literalizing the metaphors of the original films - in this case, Palpatine isn't just a canny politician who manipulates the Jedi, he's an all-powerful Sith lord who manipulates the Force itself.
Well that's interesting because even in the films, Palpatine did manipulate the Force itself, insofar as he deliberately set out to make everyone in Republic society more factional and paranoid. Palpatine is just Dick Cheney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

General Dog posted:

The shot of Obi-Wan standing up at the top of the ramp off of Padme's ship, hands on his hips like a super disappointed dad is really good though.

Last time I watched RotS with some friends, someone made a WWE joke about hearing Ben Kenobi's music.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

Well that's interesting because even in the films, Palpatine did manipulate the Force itself, insofar as he deliberately set out to make everyone in Republic society more factional and paranoid. Palpatine is just Dick Cheney.

It's more accurate to say that he merely acted as an enabler. The fundamental issues were already there. Like the Trade Federation were already overtaxed by the decadent Nabooians, already had a history with the Jedi quashing their merest attempts at resistance.

This also returns us to the point that, in strictly formal terms, Palpatine and Sidious are not the same character. In the films, Sidious simply fades out of the narrative, and then Palpatine transforms into a similar (but distinct) character called The Emperor.

The vital point that Sidious - this ghostly, insubstantial character - is never so much as glimpsed by the protagonists gets lost when people buy into the mere plot mechanics and conclude that "Palpatine's behind it all" and so we simply need a 'tactical' response that will kill Palpatine. This does nothing against Sidious.

In real-world terms, not even Dick Cheney was the problem. Cheney simply took full advantage to what was made readily available to him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's more accurate to say that he merely acted as an enabler. The fundamental issues were already there. Like the Trade Federation were already overtaxed by the decadent Nabooians, already had a history with the Jedi quashing their merest attempts at resistance.

This also returns us to the point that, in strictly formal terms, Palpatine and Sidious are not the same character. In the films, Sidious simply fades out of the narrative, and then Palpatine transforms into a similar (but distinct) character called The Emperor.

The vital point that Sidious - this ghostly, insubstantial character - is never so much as glimpsed by the protagonists gets lost when people buy into the mere plot mechanics and conclude that "Palpatine's behind it all" and so we simply need a 'tactical' response that will kill Palpatine. This does nothing against Sidious.

In real-world terms, not even Dick Cheney was the problem. Cheney simply took full advantage to what was made readily available to him.

I don't recall, but is he addressed as Sidious when he's talking to underlings via hologram?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Grievous is the first person to call him Lord Sidious.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

One of the first lines in Phantom Menace is the Trade Federation toady saying, "This plan of yours has failed, Lord Sidious!"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I thought Nute called him that too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't recall, but is he addressed as Sidious when he's talking to underlings via hologram?

Gunray addresses him as "My Lord", and believes Palpatine is a different person.

Halloween Jack posted:

Grievous is the first person to call him Lord Sidious.

Dooku reveals Sidious' name to Obiwan in Episode 2.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I corroborate that Nute Gunray, Count Dooku, and General Grievous all use the name Sidious in their respective films.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's interesting that Palpatine and Dooku largely seem to use their "Darth" personas as disguises (while ordering businessmen around, ordering clone armies, etc.), while for Vader seems a lot more invested in his Darth identity and the Darth lifestyle

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

General Dog posted:

It's interesting that Palpatine and Dooku largely seem to use their "Darth" personas as disguises (while ordering businessmen around, ordering clone armies, etc.), while for Vader seems a lot more invested in his Darth identity and the Darth lifestyle

Well, he has a much harder time taking his work hat off at the end of the day than most Darths.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

waiiit what

what do you think literary analysis is?

What do you think literary analysis is?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Of course passivity may not mean literal total inaction, but a sort of action in harmony, similar to the Hindu concept of dharma- doing things without making an active choice, being so in tune with the universe that you just do what it requires without needing to think it over. I'm not so sure, I'll have to think about this as to how it relates to the movies.

That's basically the idea I was going for. After a certain point passivity can become its own kind of negative action, to the extent that your inaction is actually a form of resistance to the plan the universe has for you. It's the kind of passivity Luke is guilty of in A New Hope when he chooses to stay on the farm and not get involved, only to be rebuked by the universe in the form of the deaths of his aunt and uncle.

edit: And I'm not saying the universe or the Force or whatever literally looked at the decision Luke made and decided to punish him. Owen and Beru would have died no matter what Luke decided. The point is that there really only was one correct choice to make, and the longer Luke resisted making it, the more and more apparent it would become as his world increasingly fell apart all around him.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 14, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dooku reveals Sidious' name to Obiwan in Episode 2.
dexter jettster says obiiiii waaaaan huehuehue

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

What do you think literary analysis is?

I think literary analysis is such that "creative misinterpretation" is impossible, if I understand rightly what you meant by that phrase. To me, "creative misinterpretation" denotes a cohesive reading the speaker considers far-fetched or otherwise undesirable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Gotta rewatch the prequels now, cool.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You really don't have to. You could go take a walk instead. Pick up a new book. Take a cooking class. Volunteer at a dog shelter. There are many things you could do with that time. If you choose to watch the prequels, you've made your own choice and you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Gotta rewatch the prequels now, cool.

Cool, they are awesome. The remaster of aotc and rots look great. Good luck !

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

You really don't have to. You could go take a walk instead. Pick up a new book. Take a cooking class. Volunteer at a dog shelter. There are many things you could do with that time. If you choose to watch the prequels, you've made your own choice and you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life.

You could even read and respond to this thread if watching the prequels sounds like an awful idea!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish you luck on your film-viewing quest. If you find any treasure, please let us know.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I mean I'll probably wait until Rogue 1 comes out on DVD so I can watch 1>2>3>R1>4>5>6>7.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

euphronius posted:

Cool, they are awesome. The remaster of aotc and rots look great. Good luck !
I wish the TPM Blu-Ray looked as good. It's such a pretty movie, but the transfer is just kinda bleh.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean I'll probably wait until Rogue 1 comes out on DVD so I can watch 1>2>3>R1>4>5>6>7.

I guess the Machete Order doesn't work with R1?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I guess the Machete Order doesn't work

Yeah, nothing's changed.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
If you're going to ignore a movie for the sake of the saga's overall structure, ignore rotj, since everything but the 100% literal events is ignored in tfa

Hell if Snoke is the Emperor it's nearly ignored in its entirety, just with some creative renaming

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I rewatched the prequels last weekend, after not having seen them in over 10 years.

I didn't want to talk about it because I ended up liking them a little more this time around.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That underwater creature eating scene is great in Phantom Menace. Very reminiscent of the asteroid worm in Empire.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I rewatched the prequels last weekend, after not having seen them in over 10 years.

I didn't want to talk about it because I ended up liking them a little more this time around.
It's okay to like movies; talk about movies you like.

It's kinda ridiculous to be afraid of talking about liking movies unless that movie is, like, Suss the Jew or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/OhSoSmall/status/831249638342664192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Why do they still need someone in the can, exactly? People make fully remote control ones at home with all the movements, sound and lights, so I'm sure ILM can make one for their film.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They use remote control sometimes but he'll be the actor when R2 is walking around on two legs.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
They need a guy because idiots are afraid of CG and Disney/Lucasfilm still feels a gross need to pander to those people.

There's no way he'll ever be the guy making Artoo move around at all except maybe turning the head-part around a couple of times.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They need a guy for when they reach the bottom of the nerdstalgia OT rehashes barrel and need to do an R2-D2 origin movie.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
time for my bimonthly Weird Star Wars Posting

Starkiller Base isn't just 'the Death Star, but bigger'. It's Darth Vader - but not SMG's cool, Christ figure. It's Disney's Star WarsTM Darth Vader, and desperately needs redeeming.

- The Death Star destroys planets and emerges from their destruction ("that's no moon..."). Starkiller Base is an entire planet, "more machine now than man", converted into a killing machine.

- The Death Star destroys fairytale kingdoms like Alderaan - and replaces them with its own nightmarish 'machine world'. Starkiller Base's only targets are the Republic, and nothing arises to replace it, because the First Order has no interest in being the Republic-Empire.

- The Death Star is green lines converging - a fasces, to keep the local systems in line. Starkiller Base is red lines diverging - a lightsaber-hand, to destroy utterly. The 'crushing hand' is associated directly with Vader (even if Leia considers him a perfectly willing servant of the Empire). The Emperor, on the other hand, prefers lightning converging from each finger into a single target. Compare and contrast with the neat lines of battle droids deployed from TPM's Control Ship.

- The drat thing is named after him - Anakin Starkiller from The Adventures of the Star Wars, 1973. But it's not Invader Base, or even the Darth Star - it's, weirdly, his 'human' side that gets attached to it.

- Anakin dies because a woman in chrome gets him to 'lower his shields'. :v:

- In his death throes, Vader throws away Palpatine to save his son. In its death throes, Starkiller Base throws away Rey (who probably isn't a Palpatine, but let me dream) to save Kylo Ren - but this is simultaneously a thematic statement ('care for your family, i guess'?) and a transparent effort to avoid ending the conflict in the first film. Something's up!

Importantly, the new canon is going to great lengths to equate Anakin and Darth Vader - to 'canonise' Luke's insistence that there's still good in him, and that good is Anakin Skywalker's, not Darth Vader's (see Ahsoka breaking Vader's mask to reveal a lovely Rebels-model of Anakin's face). That's why the Clone Wars is canon, so fans have official proof that he was 'a cunning warrior, and a good friend', rather than Obi-Wan being a nostalgic liar. The idea that Anakin is an immature fascist and Vader the true hero is a very dangerous idea for the Disney EmpireRepublic.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 16, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Why do they still need someone in the can, exactly? People make fully remote control ones at home with all the movements, sound and lights, so I'm sure ILM can make one for their film.

This is a misconception, all home-made R2s actually contain a little person but they're usually uncredited, as is tradition.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

First look at the main trio in the new movie, from a toy box.

In summary, new helmet for Poe, no more buns for Rey and Finn is still in his boyfriend's jacket. Awwwwww.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rey with her hair down :allears:

Obi-Wan wore his hair long and down in Episode II :tinfoil:

Rey confirmed a Kenobi

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HtfSuazG70

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Legit thought he was the real actor for the base CGI model of Snoke at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

dialhforhero posted:

Legit thought he was the real actor for the base CGI model of Snoke at first.

Confirmed R2D2 is Snoke. Think about it. Snoke only appears via hologram. Who has the ability to project holograms?

And R2 just so happens to wake up at the end of the movie after we're done seeing Snoke. R2 also just happens to be at the center of every important event throughout the movies history. He's been pulling the strings all along. Makes too much sense.
:tinfoil:

• Locked thread