Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cooking question!

I want to bake lobster tail. I need to run my seasoning by y'all.

Butter
Salt
Pepper
Lemon
Fresh Parsley
Smoked paprika*
Shallot*
Garlic powder*

Right, so the question is which of the *'d ingredients do I go with, or will they all play nicely together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Bananana posted:

Cooking question!

I want to bake lobster tail. I need to run my seasoning by y'all.

Butter
Salt
Pepper
Lemon
Fresh Parsley
Smoked paprika*
Shallot*
Garlic powder*

Right, so the question is which of the *'d ingredients do I go with, or will they all play nicely together?

I'd suggest a rub of citrus, butter and paprika.

You can do the aioli with parsley and garlic. That way you can add flavor, instead of overwhelming it (if it indeed overwhelms).

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So nix the shallot?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would put a bunch of poo poo on tilapia or catfish but I wouldn't gently caress with lobster. Salt and maybe white pepper only IMO, butter and lemon on the side.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Ok, well for sure I'm thinking I'll kick out the garlic and shallot.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The lobster came out awesome. Thanks gws

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Do flavorings for cheesecake (in the actual batter) really affect the baking time/temp?

I have a recipe for a chocolate cheesecake that calls for 250F/1.5hr, which works pretty nicely (in that there are no cracks, although I think I usually end up leaving it in longer). But now I have this lemon cheesecake recipe that wants 325F/1hr, + 1hr in a cracked oven. Last time I did that, it (predictably) cracked, presumably because it doesn't really matter if you're going to put something on top of the cake after it's cooled.

Now, I made a plain cheesecake with the first recipe's time and temperature, and it was perfectly fine, but I'm not sure if that translates over to any other types. I can't really imagine adding anything to a cheesecake that would really require a different time/temperature, but I also don't really know any better.

So: can I just bake any cheesecake at whatever temperature I want, so long as it's mostly set when I take it out of the oven?
Also, since I can never get it right, how much of the center is meant to be "jiggly" when it's done? Every recipe just says "the center," which isn't terribly helpful compared to say, "the edges of cookies are crisp". I'm thinking that means like, a 2–3" circle or so?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You are using a bain-marie, right? That will help prevent cracking.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

No, because it's worked out fine (mostly) without one at the lower temperatures. Plus, I got a new springform and it's ad copy insists you shouldn't use one.

I mean, if you can't trust the ads on your pans, what can you trust?

Right now I've got a cheesecake in the oven at 300. 1hr 10min in and it hasn't cracked (although it's also not set, so I know that's not long enough, at least).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Zenostein posted:

No, because it's worked out fine (mostly) without one at the lower temperatures. Plus, I got a new springform and it's ad copy insists you shouldn't use one.

I mean, if you can't trust the ads on your pans, what can you trust?

Right now I've got a cheesecake in the oven at 300. 1hr 10min in and it hasn't cracked (although it's also not set, so I know that's not long enough, at least).

I usually just use the toothpick test for doneness. Unless your springform is cast iron, the bain-marie is worth a shot.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Is there any major issue with using a non-stick pan to make a roux?

Im making roux based mac n cheese for Valentine's day and I need to know whether I have to go buy a stainless before then

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

HatchetDown posted:

Is there any major issue with using a non-stick pan to make a roux?

Im making roux based mac n cheese for Valentine's day and I need to know whether I have to go buy a stainless before then

No, in fact I have found that non-stick works really well for roux based sauces since they tend to be so sticky otherwise. The exception would be gravy where you want to build up a fond first so non-stick is right out.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, in fact I have found that non-stick works really well for roux based sauces since they tend to be so sticky otherwise. The exception would be gravy where you want to build up a fond first so non-stick is right out.

Interesting. Whenever I make roux for gumbo, I always use the stainless pan because I want a darker roux and I figure that a half hour of whisking isn't going to do nonstick any favors (I guess wood or silicone utensils might make that a moot point). It never would have crossed my mind to try nonstick.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my fav super dark rouxs are made in the oven. So much easier

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ive made roux in a teflon pan for years with a wooden spoon. Nowadays I make it in an enamel coated cast-iron dutch oven. I can't say that I have noticed either method led to some change that I could detect between the two. As always, the fat, brownness and stock added are the big factors on quality.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hogmartin posted:

Interesting. Whenever I make roux for gumbo, I always use the stainless pan because I want a darker roux and I figure that a half hour of whisking isn't going to do nonstick any favors (I guess wood or silicone utensils might make that a moot point). It never would have crossed my mind to try nonstick.

Yeah, as long as you avoid whisking with a metal whisk non-stick works fine. Remember that most of the browning happens via the fat heating the flour mixed into it, non-stick is fine for heat transfer so browning a roux works well in it.

And as Submarine Sandpaper mentioned, you can do dark roux in an oven without stirring which is much easier.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Lawnie posted:

I usually just use the toothpick test for doneness. Unless your springform is cast iron, the bain-marie is worth a shot.

How does a toothpick work out for cheesecake? I feel like that wouldn't really work until it was all quite done, unless you mean checking the edges?

It's just a dark steel one, so I guess a water bath can't really hurt. I guess I just have to make a ton until I figure out the visual cues, because I'm pretty sure that by the time the top's come off I've overcooked it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Zenostein posted:

How does a toothpick work out for cheesecake? I feel like that wouldn't really work until it was all quite done, unless you mean checking the edges?

It's just a dark steel one, so I guess a water bath can't really hurt. I guess I just have to make a ton until I figure out the visual cues, because I'm pretty sure that by the time the top's come off I've overcooked it.

The bain-marie helps it cook much more evenly, so the sides are done closer to when the center is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How do grocery store and Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes gets that uniform solid texture? Whenever I make one, even if it doesn't crack it doesn't have that perfectly and oddly commercial smoothness to it.

is it the mixing? The baking? Do they do something weird to it after its baked?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

How do grocery store and Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes gets that uniform solid texture? Whenever I make one, even if it doesn't crack it doesn't have that perfectly and oddly commercial smoothness to it.

is it the mixing? The baking? Do they do something weird to it after its baked?

Very even heating. Uneven heating is the cause of both the uneven texture and the cracking. That sort of even heating is much easier when you are working with large commercial ovens.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Very even heating. Uneven heating is the cause of both the uneven texture and the cracking. That sort of even heating is much easier when you are working with large commercial ovens.

Low and slow works well for cheesecakes, and mitigates home oven hot spot issues.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I've heard pressure cookers are good for cheesecake because of the even heating.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rurutia posted:

I've heard pressure cookers are good for cheesecake because of the even heating.

"Crock pot cheesecake"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pressure cookers are legit good for anything you want at a constant at 250 or so.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I'm having 5-6 people over for brunch soon, what should I make? Semi-regular thing, and I did French Toast last time, just looking to keep a little variety going. If you have favorites, shout 'em out.

kedgeree?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

"Crock pot cheesecake"

I can't tell if you're being cute here or not. They are very functionally different, especially in this case.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Teach me about Taylor ham/pork roll! I don't know jack about it other than it can be fried and put on a sandwich, and I have a craving for salty meat lately. What can or should I do with it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's tasty fried up at breakfast.

If you want the real American pro breakfast, it's two eggs, hashbrowns, toast, black coffee, Taylor ham, regular ham, country sausage, scrapple, bacon, a burger patty covered with brown gravy, and a thin slice of orange. The chicken fried steak on the side is actually kind of optional in this context.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's tasty fried up at breakfast.

If you want the real American pro breakfast, it's two eggs, hashbrowns, toast, black coffee, Taylor ham, regular ham, country sausage, scrapple, bacon, a burger patty covered with brown gravy, and a thin slice of orange. The chicken fried steak on the side is actually kind of optional in this context.

I'm not sure I would survive.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm not sure I would survive.

The full american breakfast is not for the weak of heart, in more ways than one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, anyone have a good recipe for chicken butter? The really tasty Indian dish where chicken's simmered in a creamy tomato sauce, I think?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I believe you mean Butter Chicken.

Although chicken flavored butter might be quite nice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Hey, anyone have a good recipe for chicken butter? The really tasty Indian dish where chicken's simmered in a creamy tomato sauce, I think?

You mean Butter Chicken. It's a curry, I've used the NYT recipe and it came out well, but I prefer just winging it for curry, it usually comes out better for me that way instead of following a recipe.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Had good results with this recipe. It's a bit labor intensive, though.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jul/10/gymkhana-chicken-butter-masala-recipe

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Last Celebration posted:

There's also an Indian Food thread here that has a bunch of stuff related to butter chicken: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774083

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's the difference between murgh mahkni and tikki masala? I always like the first one more but every restaurant is a little different

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
One was invented in India, the other in England. And they emphasize different ingredients/flavors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndianFood/comments/4iss26/difference_between_makhani_and_tikka_masala/

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking for a recipe to duplicate these "energy scones" I recently tried. They have dried cranberries, slivered almonds and what appear to be flax seeds in them, and the scone itself is semi-sweet. They're definitely baked, I've tried a few different no-bake energy bars with like a peanut butter base which I dig, but they tend to be a bit sugary for me. I can take a photo later if that would help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm looking for a recipe to duplicate these "energy scones" I recently tried. They have dried cranberries, slivered almonds and what appear to be flax seeds in them, and the scone itself is semi-sweet. They're definitely baked, I've tried a few different no-bake energy bars with like a peanut butter base which I dig, but they tend to be a bit sugary for me. I can take a photo later if that would help?

Most English scones are semi sweet, so you could just add those things to a standard scone recipe, I think. Like this one:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4622/classic-scones-with-jam-and-clotted-cream