Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Nah. Hy vee now does online ordering and free delivery if you order over $100. Same price as in store but you dont have to go walk around for an hour. Its loving great.

Also if you order <100 you can go pick it up for free. They have someone gather and bag your order and bring it out to your car.

THIS IS THE FUTURE I WAS PROMISED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah but the Hy Vee thing is you picking out your own groceries, not "here's a package of stuff you need to make these three meals".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Testarossa and Diablo were flowers that grew out of a pile of dirt that was the 80's.

edit:

May as well link the Diablo:

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Feb 13, 2017

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Keystoned posted:

Nah. Hy vee now does online ordering and free delivery if you order over $100. Same price as in store but you dont have to go walk around for an hour. Its loving great.

Also if you order <100 you can go pick it up for free. They have someone gather and bag your order and bring it out to your car.

THIS IS THE FUTURE I WAS PROMISED!

Hy-Vee's home delivery was the best service we offered that nobody knew about. Call in with a vague-as-hell order that includes beer, food from the buffet and salad bar, and kitty litter, and that poo poo would be on your doorstep in less than an hour. How we weren't drowning in delivery orders every day I have no idea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Testarossa and Diablo were flowers that grew out of a pile of dirt that was the 80's.

edit:

May as well link the Diablo:

That reminds me of the Infernus from GTA 3. It didn't become a Lamborghini until the next game; originally it was an early 90s Jaguar XJR-15.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My girlfriend started using Blue Apron when a mutual friend, another tech-optimist yuppie with a lot of disposable income, gave her one of those "one free week with no strings attached unless you forget to opt out of the auto-renewal in which case gently caress you" promos. She has really enjoyed it, for several reasons. First off, she was raised by parents who never cooked, and so she never learned. Very deliberate, picture-heavy recipes are perfect training tools for her. The pre-measured ingredients have helped her hone the sense of proportion that experienced cooks sometimes take for granted. And of course, the slightly exotic ingredients are really expanding her (our) palates. She's made some really tasty meals lately, often replicating and improving the ones she learned from Blue Apron. I'm proud of her. :shobon:

It's expensive compared to grocery shopping, but costs less per person-meal than going out anywhere except Burger King - and they don't exactly serve mirin-glazed cod with broccoli and barley salad or za'atar chicken souvlaki with tahini yogurt sauce and roasted potatoes.

I don't know much about their marketing, though, because it was straight word of mouth that got her started. She turned around and got her parents started on it, and they really enjoy it too. Maybe I am a Blue Apron sleeper agent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can get zaatar chicken souvlaki at a local Chipotle's competitor

It's cool that they give you the exact amount of spices, but I think they should give the option to pay extra to get the whole container. It can't be cost effective to package 2 pinches of spices.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hy-Vee's home delivery was the best service we offered that nobody knew about. Call in with a vague-as-hell order that includes beer, food from the buffet and salad bar, and kitty litter, and that poo poo would be on your doorstep in less than an hour. How we weren't drowning in delivery orders every day I have no idea.

There are a number of people, including folks on SA, who talk of buying groceries from the store oneself as a basic task, and imply that anyone who cannot handle shopping for themselves is a shut-in. I bet that weird stigma about using a great service keeps a lot of people away.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I can get zaatar chicken souvlaki at a local Chipotle's competitor

It's cool that they give you the exact amount of spices, but I think they should give the option to pay extra to get the whole container. It can't be cost effective to package 2 pinches of spices.

Yeah, that would be nice, and make it easier to run them back later.

back to school shotgun posted:

There are a number of people, including folks on SA, who talk of buying groceries from the store oneself as a basic task, and imply that anyone who cannot handle shopping for themselves is a shut-in. I bet that weird stigma about using a great service keeps a lot of people away.

But...it IS a basic task. :confused: Just about the most basic of all tasks, really. I'm glad there are services who can bring basic life essentials to the elderly and disabled, but I'm sure they're used by a high proportion of shut-ins too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you don't know how to do basic grocery shopping your parents or care givers failed you.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah, I'm sorry but grocery shopping is not difficult. Even NEETs know how to go out and buy stuff.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you don't know how to do basic grocery shopping your parents or care givers failed you.

This is actually quite common in America though? Like most kids grow up in Foster Care man.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's nice that training wheels are available though. Maybe they don't have to stay failed!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

walrusman posted:

But...it IS a basic task. :confused: Just about the most basic of all tasks, really. I'm glad there are services who can bring basic life essentials to the elderly and disabled, but I'm sure they're used by a high proportion of shut-ins too.

Sure, but do you enjoy it? And if you could get away with not doing it and spend that time doing something else, wouldn't you?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Just to clarify, grocery shopping is just going to a grocery store, picking the stuff you want and paying and leaving, right? What mechanical skill do you need?

I can understand if people don't have time/old/disabled/really hate looking for parking but the act itself isn't difficult.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Moon Slayer posted:

Sure, but do you enjoy it? And if you could get away with not doing it and spend that time doing something else, wouldn't you?

I do enjoy it, and no, I don't get my groceries delivered even though I could, because I like looking around and deciding what I'm going to eat based on what catches my attention.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tired Moritz posted:

Just to clarify, grocery shopping is just going to a grocery store, picking the stuff you want and paying and leaving, right? What mechanical skill do you need?

I can understand if people don't have time/old/disabled/really hate looking for parking but the act itself isn't difficult.

Nah, the difficult/unpleasant/scary part for these people is leaving the house, walking all the way up AND down the aisles looking for things, carrying the basket, choosing between brand A and brand B, and once you have negotiated all of that, you have to interact with people at the checkout.

I too don't understand people who treat supermarket shopping as this enormous burden. It's part of the price of living as a grown up.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

budgeting? meal planning? actually knowing what you need to buy, making a list, and not freaking out over how there's, like, 9000 different brands of detergent or whatever that all seem slightly different somehow?

just a few things i can imagine being overwhelming to somebody who isn't used to/was never exposed to shopping trips as a kid or whatever

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tired Moritz posted:

This is not me, but in my experience it's just a basic disconnect between knowing what you want and being able to conceptualize the groceries needed to realize it. There's also a very real element of choice overload. There's like 10 kinds of chicken and 20 kinds of sausage.

1. Whole
2. Split breasts
3. Thighs
4. Drumsticks
5. Party wings
6. Boneless skinless breasts
7. " Thighs
8-14: the above but "organic" or "free range"
15. Frozen boneless skinless breasts
16. Frozen Party wings
17. " Breast tenders
18. Unfrozen breast tenders
19. Capons
20. Cornish game
21. "Party pack" (usually thighs and drums)
22. From the butcher case
23. Premarinated

Those are just off the top of my head. If you have basically not seen food prepared, just that choice can be paralyzing and you don't even have anything else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just buy 10 boxes of frozen chicken fingers and fish fingers

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Beachcomber posted:

This is not me, but in my experience it's just a basic disconnect between knowing what you want and being able to conceptualize the groceries needed to realize it. There's also a very real element of choice overload. There's like 10 kinds of chicken and 20 kinds of sausage.

1. Whole
2. Split breasts
3. Thighs
4. Drumsticks
5. Party wings
7. " Thighs
16. Frozen Party wings
17. " Breast tenders
19. Capons
20. Cornish game
23. Premarinated

Those are just off the top of my head. If you have basically not seen food prepared, just that choice can be paralyzing and you don't even have anything else.

So you're saying that someone could want to make some chicken breasts and get paralyzed with fear or whatever because chicken wings also exist? Maybe I'm reading this incredibly wrong though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Beachcomber posted:

1. Whole
2. Split breasts
3. Thighs
4. Drumsticks
5. Party wings
7. " Thighs
16. Frozen Party wings
17. " Breast tenders
19. Capons
20. Cornish game
23. Premarinated

This can be extrapolated into nearly everything that one deals with when one leaves the house. Hell, every hacky old man stand up comedian had jokes about it. Ever gone in to a Starbucks and asked for a "coffee"? Ever gone into a trendy bar and asked for a "beer"?

I understand that some people have anxiety, and other people can be truly confounded by the array at a supermarket, and Blue Apron style services can be a great help to these people.

But if you are not disabled, and are living out of your parents house, then you should be able to shop for yourself.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

someone awful. posted:

budgeting? meal planning? actually knowing what you need to buy, making a list, and not freaking out over how there's, like, 9000 different brands of detergent or whatever that all seem slightly different somehow?

just a few things i can imagine being overwhelming to somebody who isn't used to/was never exposed to shopping trips as a kid or whatever

budgeting and meal planning are legit confusing but I don't see how a grocery shopping service would really help with that. and come on, if you don't know a good detergent brand, just buy the cheapest or buy whatever brand you recognise.

grocery shopping is fun and you get to check out and try new things.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

So you're saying that someone could want to make some chicken breasts and get paralyzed with fear or whatever because chicken wings also exist? Maybe I'm reading this incredibly wrong though.

No, I'm saying if someone wants to transition from Hungry Man or Lean Cuisine it can be hard to know where to start, and much easier to not even try, so many people don't.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Holy gently caress. Or you just can't be hosed having to wander about the store and you can just select everything you need in 10 minutes of clicking then get on with something else you'd need/rather be do? :shrug:
And as for fresh fruit/vegetables, you just do a quick stop at a grocer at some other point?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

itt we are appatently Gorbachev seeing a gringo supermarket for the first time :confuoot:

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
One of the people I did my College work placement with got a rather bad case of scurvy. Living on his own for the first time his diet consisted of nothing but garbage. When we asked why he only bought garbage from the super market it wasn't cause he did not know better it was his first time living alone and felt as an adult he could buy and eat whatever he wanted.

Before you ask yes he is a computer programmer.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Croccers posted:

Holy gently caress. Or you just can't be hosed having to wander about the store and you can just select everything you need in 10 minutes of clicking then get on with something else you'd need/rather be do? :shrug:
And as for fresh fruit/vegetables, you just do a quick stop at a grocer at some other point?

I too get out of the drudgery of going to the grocery store by... going to the grocery store. You should crosspost this to the lifehacks thread.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
In an analogue I'm sure many of the goons silently nodding along to "groceries are loving hard, man" will understand: I too often want to buy a new "video game" and Steam is like "my dude we have 10000 different ones" and then I just shut down my computer and curl up in a puddle of my own ineffectual tears.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

A huge part of being a competent cook comes from perusing available ingredients during grocery shopping, and thinking of what could go with what and how, picking various combinations and trying to get the best results out of them. People who rely on glorified Hungry Man dinners (Blue Apron) will never get that element.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beachcomber posted:

1. Whole
2. Split breasts
3. Thighs
4. Drumsticks
5. Party wings
7. " Thighs
16. Frozen Party wings
17. " Breast tenders
19. Capons
20. Cornish game
23. Premarinated

Organic distinction has little to do with cooking, and more with ethics / budget, so that's a false choice. Frozen ingredients are the same thing as chilled ingredients, only different in their shelf life. Various variations of breasts are absolutely self-explanatory. Other, niche products are either clearly named to suggest their purpose, or obviously not substitutes. Somebody who is trying to make fried chicken is not going to buy a pound of chicken necks.

If somebody is paralyzed by this "selection", they have not been taught basic life skills and have relied on pre-made food for their entire existence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Blue Apron provides cooking kits. Nothing more, nothing less.

It’s like any other kind of kit. It contains everything needed and that appeals to many people.

But like any kit, you’re paying a premium for materials and you should probably wean yourself off it at some point.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
you guys are making America sound like a dystopian hell where people never seen fresh food before

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tired Moritz posted:

you guys are making America sound like a dystopian hell where people never seen fresh food before

Oh people have

We just mock the people who choose fresh food over processed bullshit relentlessly

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tired Moritz posted:

Isn't it?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I too get out of the drudgery of going to the grocery store by... going to the grocery store. You should crosspost this to the lifehacks thread.
It's almost like...you could use it to cut out a tedious portion of the task so you don't have to spend as much time doing it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCeQLeQiRP4
I also swear there's a place you can go that only just sell fruits and vegetables too if you need stuff like that!!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I accidentally stumbled into a weird Blue Apron recipe-card rabbithole a few years ago and their recipes are pretty solid and probably would teach people who exclusively eat White People FoodTM that there's more to cooking than butter, sugar, and cheese

It's inoffensive and bizarre, but nothing to get worked up over. Sure, their product is way too expensive and its concept was designed by agoraphobic crab people, but it has a wide variety of meals on menu. Plus, if you never learned to cook as child, having someone else portion out everything makes the intimidating act of cooking into a paint-by-numbers exercise that nets a tasty meal. Some people are so terrified of cooking that they buy nothing but canned/prepackaged/frozen foods, so paint-by-numbers sounds like a good plan to get them over the hurdle and into the kitchen. If someone genuinely prefers BA to cooking after more than a couple months of service, then I'd start worrying about basic faculties. Especially since Amazon and Peapod(if they're still a company) already do grocery shopping in the US

Hell, when my folks were working 70-80 hour work weeks, we used to get all of the groceries delivered by Peapod. They were stupid expensive and had a weird selection of food, but they came twice a week with fresh food. I mean, it works out if you'd rather pay ~10% extra for food plus S&H

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
How could you not think home delivery is great

You just call and say:

"Hey I need some cumin, a single stalk of celery, 2.25 lbs of boneless and skinless chicken breast, some chocolate ice cream, a can of stewed tomatoes, a box of Frosted Flakes, a dozen eggs, a gallon of milk, a six-pack of PBR, a pound of roasted turkey from the deli, a #3 from the Chinese menu, and a garden salad from the salad bar with no croutons please"

and they're all:

"no problem sir we will have that to you shortly"

In what universe is this an undesirable situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Nothing wrong with getting stuff delivered, mind you, but the idea that delivering basic groceries would be necessary under normal circumstances is laughable. Not to mention the added costs that convenience services add on