Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Magical Zero posted:

Judging from a few streams it seems like Lawbringer really, really shits on enemy stamina. I don't think he'll be considered underpowered for much longer.

Is there a move in particular that facilitates this? Do I just need to use more shoves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
I wanted to make a large effortpost on why lawbringer is actually pretty drat good but then I realized I want people to think he's bad so the poo poo he can actually do continues to shock people.

Pro tip- if you exhaust an enemy with your parry, the follow up unblockable heavy is also unavoidable and does like 50% of an assassins HP.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Double Monocle posted:

I wanted to make a large effortpost on why lawbringer is actually pretty drat good but then I realized I want people to think he's bad so the poo poo he can actually do continues to shock people.

Pro tip- if you exhaust an enemy with your parry, the follow up unblockable heavy is also unavoidable and does like 50% of an assassins HP.

Instead you wanna sound like a jerk, nice.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Magical Zero posted:

Judging from a few streams it seems like Lawbringer really, really shits on enemy stamina. I don't think he'll be considered underpowered for much longer.

This would be more relevant if stamina actually mattered. Running out really isn't even an inconvenience because it doesn't stop you from doing anything important.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
Is there a reasonable PC community for this?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Hypha posted:

Instead you wanna sound like a jerk, nice.

Point taken.

Tips I have-

Spacing is a thing. Your reach is long. Abuse that. Holding back on the movement stick with attacks (except top light) will move you backwards slightly and can be using to dodge many short ranged attacks while getting a free hit.

Your parry light follow up counts as a attack for your chain and is 100% vs every character.

Your range makes you a horrible target to parry. Lawbringers recover quickly from getting parried and move far away. Many follow ups that work on the majority of the cast (parry-guard break) just don't work on lawbringers.

Parry into poleaxe push (side heavy after party) can situationally be amazing damage. Push into a wall is a gaurenteed heavy. Hit em top heavy for the blind and try to finish your chain for big damage.

You can shove on block. Use this to destroy rushdown tactics (hello orochi). On most characters blockshove into trip throw can only be avoided by spamming back dodge.

Parry into top heavy unblockable is much better than you think. It can be counter parried but the window is tight, and most characters cannot dodge away in time, which seems to be the default response. I do not suggest this vs a warden who knows what's up though lol.

If you wanna cheese master you can straight up play chiveraly with your attacks. Cancel lock on, look sideways, press side attack. Your side heavies have huge amount of swing to them and can hit targets at about 90 degrees. Feels dumb, but if you wanna finish off a dude it's effective.

The running attack is really really obvious if you just run at a dude. Dropping lock on quickly and doing it mid melee will catch people off gaurd and can get some quick damage in.

Use the red white and blue colors with the eagle emblem and tell your degenerate weeabo opponents your gonna free the poo poo out of them.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Does it take anyone else for-loving-ever to find a Dominion game, or is it just because I'm playing at entirely non-optimal times for my region?

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Valkyrie is frustrating with her low damage and speed, but I love her kit and visuals. I want to stick through playing her and hope for a buff, or just get good enough where I can patience my way through fights, but it's hard.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Darkmoon2k posted:

Valkyrie is frustrating with her low damage and speed, but I love her kit and visuals. I want to stick through playing her and hope for a buff, or just get good enough where I can patience my way through fights, but it's hard.

I feel like landing the sweep combo leads into big damage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Double Monocle posted:

went against a lawmaker earlier today, he kept employing this tactic. I kept thinking "no way this oval office can keep knocking off parries like it's nothing but a thing" but the mad oval office kept parrying me and hitting me with those devastating unblockables. Since I was parried, I could do absolutely nothing to prevent the incoming pain train. You were right about them taking half health off Assassin characters. Lawmaker is scary, but I learnt the hard way not to be predictable so he can't parry me as easily.

Also, 1v1 is a massacre. I'm on a 9 game winning streak that doesn't seem to stop anytime soon. After being hardened in the fiery furnace of 2v2, 1v1 is pussy zone.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Honestly biggest pro tip-

Always assume that if it's possible, the enemy is trying to ledge kill you.

Wait till they wiff a guard break, then throw them off instead.

Collect salt.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Keegers posted:

It's a 4-piece combo that leads to a heavy attack and eats a lot of stamina. Honestly it's really cumbersome and the sweep can be dodged by average-skilled players.

I'd like to see the deflect window on her dodge/block opened up a bit more. Right now it has a tighter window than a parry and it's hard to pull off. Shoulder Pin is almost never used for that reason, even by high level players I've seen.

Her parry puts way too much spacing between her and her enemy. You can't chain it into anything, sadly.

She has some frustrating quirks and no real strengths that set her apart from other classes, to be honest. I'm Prestige 1 on her and will keep trying to improve, but it feels like she's hard mode with little reward for the effort. This sentiment is mirrored by streamers that I've seen put time into learning her.

Her light chain is pretty good though and can be initiated from a dodge-strike, but landing 3 lights in a row against any competent player is rare.

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 15, 2017

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Hypha posted:

Is there a move in particular that facilitates this? Do I just need to use more shoves?
Shoving after blocking, parries, and that pike over the back throw seem particularly good for draining stamina.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Keegers posted:

The only attack you can get after a sweep combo is a heavy which does 1 bar of health. Sometimes not even that because depending on the character they get knocked too far back for you to even get a hit in before they can get up. I read in the alpha that she COULD combo from the leg sweep with her regular attack combos but this was too strong so they took it out and now she's loving worthless. I'd love to play her but the amount of effort that you'd have to put in to make her viable is so extreme it's just not worth it.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
The sweep chain can also be continued after the heavy into another sweep chain, but that's 8 moves for 2 heavy attacks that do less than 2 bars of damage at the cost of 3/4 stamina.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Darkmoon2k posted:

The sweep chain can also be continued after the heavy into another sweep chain, but that's 8 moves for 2 heavy attacks that do less than 2 bars of damage at the cost of 3/4 stamina.

Yep. And they can be dodged. Meanwhile Shugoki can do 1 1/2 bars of damage with just his guard break throw.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Darkmoon2k posted:

It's a 4-piece combo that leads to a heavy attack and eats a lot of stamina. Honestly it's really cumbersome and the sweep can be dodged by average-skilled players.

I'd like to see the deflect window on her dodge/block opened up a bit more. Right now it has a tighter window than a parry and it's hard to pull off. Shoulder Pin is almost never used for that reason, even by high level players I've seen.

Her parry puts way too much spacing between her and her enemy. You can't chain it into anything, sadly.

She has some frustrating quirks and no real strengths that set her apart from other classes, to be honest. I'm Prestige 1 on her and will keep trying to improve, but it feels like she's hard mode with little reward for the effort. This sentiment is mirrored by streamers that I've seen put time into learning her.

Her light chain is pretty good though and can be initiated from a dodge-strike, but landing 3 lights in a row against any competent player is rare.

I've just started playing as the Valkyrie, so I don't know much, but I'm definitely having trouble with her defensive moves. Her dodge/block timing is different from her light attack parry timing is different from her dodge timing is different from her parry timing. Sometimes I try to dodge block and shoulder pin, but I just dodge the attack normally and end up not attacking at all. And with so many defensive moves, I never know which one I should be trying to use.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
gonna explore warden tonite

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Photux posted:

I've just started playing as the Valkyrie, so I don't know much, but I'm definitely having trouble with her defensive moves. Her dodge/block timing is different from her light attack parry timing is different from her dodge timing is different from her parry timing. Sometimes I try to dodge block and shoulder pin, but I just dodge the attack normally and end up not attacking at all. And with so many defensive moves, I never know which one I should be trying to use.

Her block-dodge is super unreliable as the window is very small. It's smaller than the Orochi's for some reason! This has even been talked about Orochi players trying Valk too. It's bizarre.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Darkmoon2k posted:

Her block-dodge is super unreliable as the window is very small. It's smaller than the Orochi's for some reason! This has even been talked about Orochi players trying Valk too. It's bizarre.

I have put in a few hours with bots just trying to get her block-dodge down and ya, the window is very tiny and it is not a reliable block. If you miss it you end up just side stepping and you could then throw a hunter's strike, but the window to do a hunter's strike or a shoulder pin is also small, so it is hard to pick the correct one for what just happened. If you screw up and pick shoulder pin and you just dodged then you end up just doing a heavy attack that people will punish. If you miss the block-dodge badly then you take the hit, and you would have been better off just blocking. Should pin does a bar of damage as a bleed, not sure of the bleed mechanics, but it does not seem to stack, so its a use ones to get the bleed going then do something else. While a hunter's strike does very little damage.

I really like playing her but it is a lot of work.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Your hero's specialization is explained under renown on your moveset. This sheet lays it out better though.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I've actually seen that sheet before and have been trying to play according to my "role", but so far the overall experience has been, well, ballchasing. Maybe the teamplay will improve as more people start playing in a more tactical sense?

So far my favourite Dominion map has been the one with three hanging bridges leading to C. Guarding it as a Shugoki by barreling at people trying to cross compensates for the waiting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Promontory posted:

Hey, thanks for the tip! I've actually seen that sheet before and have been trying to play according to my "role", but so far the overall experience has been, well, ballchasing. Maybe the teamplay will improve as more people start playing in a more tactical sense?

So far my favourite Dominion map has been the one with three hanging bridges leading to C. Guarding it as a Shugoki by barreling at people trying to cross compensates for the waiting.

Trying to take that point from a good Lawbringer is awful :shepicide:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Darkmoon2k posted:

I guess it's sort of intended as she's "only" a hybrid. She's got access to both a deflect and a full-block stance, but in return they're both not quite as good as the versions of the "proper" assassins and heavies.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I heard AutoParry hacks and auto guard break hacks were all ready out, are they common yet like in most ubi games?

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Stormgale posted:

I heard AutoParry hacks and auto guard break hacks were all ready out, are they common yet like in most ubi games?

I haven't seen a hacker suspect yet.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I don't know if it's a bug or just ~ubi~ but I've had people counter guard break me after a parry. I thought it was supposed to be unbreakable?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I don't know if it's a bug or just ~ubi~ but I've had people counter guard break me after a parry. I thought it was supposed to be unbreakable?

Depends on the particular character, I think. Peacekeeper got it for sure, but for some others the window after a parry may not be long enough for it to count as a direct uncounterable followup

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Who wants to 1v1 me as Orochi later today? I'm itching to fight a good opponent. Just fought against two brothers who were 10/10 with their parries and it was such a drat good game, cause we had to rely on feints and mindgames to get through each other's defenses.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

This would be more relevant if stamina actually mattered. Running out really isn't even an inconvenience because it doesn't stop you from doing anything important.

Does being exhausted change how easy you are to knock down?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Nechronic posted:

Does being exhausted change how easy you are to knock down?

Yes. If you have no stamina if someone parries you you will be knocked down.

Being exhausted doesn't change the way you can defend though, which I think is the problem.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Exmond posted:

Yes. If you have no stamina if someone parries you you will be knocked down.

Being exhausted doesn't change the way you can defend though, which I think is the problem.

It's not a problem, though. If they're out of stamina, I don't make my attacks obvious. I'll use heavy attacks to feint them out then hit em with a couple of light ones. It'll give me a couple bars off their health by the time their stamina is back. I think stamina exhaustion the way it is now is perfect. Rolling back or to the side should be removed. I think instead of rolling a big distance, you should only be able to dodge a small distance. It's annoying when someone out of stamina runs off.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Loopoo posted:

I guess what you're trying to say is... You're basically Shrek, and the zone is your swamp???

you are 100.000% correct

Nov 3, 2015

So TrU3Ta1ent

https://www.twitch.tv/tru3ta1ent

Talks about the mechanics and what he is trying to do while dueling. Worth watching if you want to learn some stuff. Currently he is playing a lot of Lawbringer.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

1500 posted:

So TrU3Ta1ent

https://www.twitch.tv/tru3ta1ent

Talks about the mechanics and what he is trying to do while dueling. Worth watching if you want to learn some stuff. Currently he is playing a lot of Lawbringer.

I like watching him right up until he gets a sub and then he does that really weird epileptic spew of words about sub hype or whatever. He really needs to change that, it's unintelligible.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

If you get shoved at no stamina you fall down. The Lawbringer unblockable shoves a lot and drains lots of stamina.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
also you cant attack for poo poo so your attacker can just keep hammering or grabbin on you for an opening

Nov 3, 2015

Loopoo posted:

I like watching him right up until he gets a sub and then he does that really weird epileptic spew of words about sub hype or whatever. He really needs to change that, it's unintelligible.

ya, I also don't like seeing him (not a fan of streamers that have a camera on themselves). But at least he does not get subs that often. He does talk about tactics and how he is fighting, it is interesting to watch him try new stuff.

1500 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 15, 2017

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Perestroika posted:

I guess it's sort of intended as she's "only" a hybrid. She's got access to both a deflect and a full-block stance, but in return they're both not quite as good as the versions of the "proper" assassins and heavies.

I spent a good long while in practice both trying to get down the timing of the deflect and to find a reliable way to deal actual damage. It got late into the night and I thought that I must be getting tired because I was just sucking it up just against the practice bots.

Then I switched back to warden, which I've played plenty, and cleaned house.

Everything about val is my favorite except her lack of practical viability. This always seems to happen with hybrid classes. I'm most attracted to them and they're just not as good as a core class.

Other topic: I am un-loving-believably bad at guard break countering. Is there a trick? Am I just old and slow now? Literally the only times I mange to counter it is if I'm trying to guard break myself already.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm having unbelievable amounts of fun playing this game. Honestly I find dominion to be a frustrating gamemode although that guide someone posted earlier is helpful. I was going to say that playing as a Heavy is irritating in that gamemode but it turns out I'm not contributing to my team in the correct way. Gunna have to change my approach to that mode if I'm going to keep maining Conqueror.

But boy, my bread and butter are Duels, Brawls and Elimination. I won every Brawl I played in last night except one in my journey to try and complete the daily and contract I had for it. The only loss I had was a rematch where I guy switched from Conqueror to Nobushi. He must not have liked that I totally clowned on him as a mirror so he got kinda cheesy with Nobushi.

I was pretty proud of how I handled it though. The first two matches he would wait till I came in, perform a bleed combo, then roll away, never staying engaged for longer than a 2 move combo. He won two rounds that way. I adjusted, came back and won the following two rounds (my partner was garbage, as was the Nobushi's). Then on the final round I forgot all my adjustments and lost pretty bad. I wanted another rematch but he left.

Great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Is it just me or do all the good players play 2v2