Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yeah, yonhap or korea herald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Park just announced she is going to "allow Parliament to decide her fate", aka step down rather than being impeached.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2016/11/29/0301000000AEN20161129006800315.html

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Park just announced she is going to "allow Parliament to decide her fate", aka step down rather than being impeached.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2016/11/29/0301000000AEN20161129006800315.html

Does this mean an early election or a caretaker president until the scheduled one? Also, what will this mean for the election? I know Park herself won an election to succeed an incredibly unpopular president from her own party so I can't tell if this matters when she's out of the picture.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Most likely a caretaker "president" until elections are held in a year. If Park officially resigns there will be new elections in 2 months that no one is ready for/wants. If Park simply steps aside for a caretaker government then everyone muddles through.

The Ask A Korean blog posted a good writeup of where Korean politics currently stand (completely hosed): http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-ultimate-choi-soon-sil-gate.html

It's important to remember that the second Park steps down officially she will almost certainly be indicted on corruption charges.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 29, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Lum_ posted:

So they will drag their feet on asking her to step down and then just go through with impeaching her anyway?

I didn't think they were under much obligation to help her out and "making a transition plan" is a transparent stalling tactic on her part.

I read she was immune from prosecution while in office which seems super weird to me as a westerner but I'm assuming there's a line of very hungry lawyers perched outside her office at all times.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So they will drag their feet on asking her to step down and then just go through with impeaching her anyway?

I didn't think they were under much obligation to help her out and "making a transition plan" is a transparent stalling tactic on her part.

I read she was immune from prosecution while in office which seems super weird to me as a westerner but I'm assuming there's a line of very hungry lawyers perched outside her office at all times.

The head of state being more or less immune to prosecution is pretty common in western countries as well, though.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 29, 2016

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
She's likely angling for a deal where she resigns in exchange for some form of immunity or decision not to prosecute.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The President of the United States is almost certainly immune from prosecution, so that isn't that weird. I say almost certainly because pretty much every legal expert agrees, but there isn't a written case or an express law, but it is essentially required by the constitution.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nm posted:

The President of the United States is almost certainly immune from prosecution, so that isn't that weird. I say almost certainly because pretty much every legal expert agrees, but there isn't a written case or an express law, but it is essentially required by the constitution.

I'm confused by this. I know it is de facto true, but there's an actual legal basis for it? Wasn't/isn't there still stuff going on with Trump and some of his lawsuits?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm confused by this. I know it is de facto true, but there's an actual legal basis for it? Wasn't/isn't there still stuff going on with Trump and some of his lawsuits?

In many Western democracies, including the US, lawmakers and certain high officials have a some degree of immunity under certain circumstances, in order to limit the potential for abusing the legal system for the sake of blatant partisan fuckery. For example, in the US, sitting members of Congress cannot be arrested while in the Congressional chamber, and they are immune to prosecution for anything they did on the floor of Congress (there are exceptions for certain crimes, like treason, though). This is real, written law, written right into the Constitution. The immunity goes away if Congress itself kicks them out of Congress, so it's not an impenetrable shield - the intention is to limit the executive branch's ability to use the power of arrest to directly interfere with the workings of the legislative branch.

Similarly, the Supreme Court has ruled that the President can't be sued for official acts undertaken in their role as a president. I don't think there's a matching immunity for criminal acts, but there's a de facto immunity in that as the head of the branch tasked with carrying out and executing the law, the President is the boss of everyone who might possibly have the power or authority to prosecute him - at least, until he's impeached.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

He has criminal immunity.
In short: To allow the judiciary/states to put a sitting president in prison violates the separation of power/federalism.
Once impeached and removed (which is constitutional as it is in the constitution) or end of term, he can be prosecuted. I assume the SoL would toll during that period.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the usual rule is western parliamentary republics is that the President (or equivalent) as head of state is immune to prosecution for any acts undertaken in an official capacity with exceptions for charges of high treason and the like. Any prosecution of such a case generally also requires that the respective country's parliament takes the initiative for prosecution instead of the regular court system. Some countries do allow the President to be prosecuted for crimes committed while in office, but only after said President's term has ended, though.

Then we also have the western constitutional monarchies, where the monarch as a rule, in their capacity as Sovereign, is flat-out immune to prosecution for any crimes whatsoever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

In many Western democracies, including the US, lawmakers and certain high officials have a some degree of immunity under certain circumstances, in order to limit the potential for abusing the legal system for the sake of blatant partisan fuckery. For example, in the US, sitting members of Congress cannot be arrested while in the Congressional chamber, and they are immune to prosecution for anything they did on the floor of Congress (there are exceptions for certain crimes, like treason, though). This is real, written law, written right into the Constitution. The immunity goes away if Congress itself kicks them out of Congress, so it's not an impenetrable shield - the intention is to limit the executive branch's ability to use the power of arrest to directly interfere with the workings of the legislative branch.
These eventualities sound unthinkable, of course, but once upon a time there was this guy named Syngman Rhee...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyqUw0WYwoc

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Platystemon posted:

The only thing the average person knows about Rasputin is that he’s unkillable.

and hes a love machine.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

snergle posted:

and hes a love machine.

"Horses are particularly well endowed, but that does not make them sensitive lovers, Percy."

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
What, no discussion of North Korea's former (now defected) UK-Ambassador speaking out about the Un regime?

I mean, I know there's been repeated defectors claiming the regime will collapse any time now over the years but still.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's not telling us a lot we don't already know, or recommending anything new. The regime is definitely unsustainable, and he recommends hastening its collapse by engaging the population through consumerism. Even assuming that makes a difference, okay, what then?

The most interesting things he had to say were about the lack of naivete among the high officialdom and their lack of rapport with Jong Un.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Most defectors predict this sort of thing. At this point I will believe it when I see it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
And it's not like there are still millions of North Koreans who believe everything propaganda tells them about the outside world, who are just waiting to have their eyes open by a smuggled South Korean soap opera.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Reports coming in that Kim Jong-nam has been assassinated.

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2017/02/212447/update-kim-jong-uns-half-brother-reportedly-assassinated-kl?m=1
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/14/kim-jong-un-half-brother-reportedly-killed-malaysia-north-korea?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Malaysia has historically had unusually warm relations with the DPRK compared to most of East/Southeast Asia and it looks like KJU just straight up torpedoed 40 years of stable diplomacy with his paranoia. Absolutely mad.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Makes me wonder if that's why it happened in Malaysia - those friendly relations may have made it easier to do.

I wasn't aware there had been previous attempts on his life either.

Edit:
I don't mean that they allowed it, more that NK exploited that relationship to pull it off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

sinking belle posted:

Malaysia has historically had unusually warm relations with the DPRK compared to most of East/Southeast Asia and it looks like KJU just straight up torpedoed 40 years of stable diplomacy with his paranoia. Absolutely mad.
The DPRK has a history of assassinating defectors for purely retaliatory reasons or because they make embarrassing claims about the regime. (Someone I can't quite remember, maybe Hwang Jang-yop, had to increase their personal security after discussing Kim il Sung's sex life and the special corps devoted to keeping him young and virile.) So I'm not surprised that they'd be willing to alienate one of their few remaining friends to assassinate a defector of the highest conceivable level.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, that was the Disneyland guy, right? He was my favorite of the Kim brothers :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
How can you pass over legendary Eric Clapton fan Kim Jong-chul?

(Same way Kim Jong-il did I suppose)

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Un's half brother apparently just got assasinated in Malaysia. Phoneposting no link. Source Al Jazeera

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Medieval Medic posted:

Un's half brother apparently just got assasinated in Malaysia. Phoneposting no link. Source Al Jazeera

Chemical spray in a shopping area.

Now I want to know what chemical.

Wasn't he the dude who defected to go to Disney World?

Edit: we both should read the thread

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 14, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A beautiful and accurate haiku.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Kim Jong-nam is dead
Blasted in the face with piss
What a way to go

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did he ever get to visit Disneyland? :ohdear:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Nope, got busted with a fake passport trying, that's what led Jong-Il to withdraw favoured status in the line to the throne.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tias posted:

Nope, got busted with a fake passport trying, that's what led Jong-Il to withdraw favoured status in the line to the throne.
a fake ~Dominican Republic~ passport

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/831756598041260032/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit: also Malaysian police found the bodies of the two women suspected of killing Kim.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat, that's some old school cold blooded poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If I get murdered, I hope it's by Korean Daria Nicolodi.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

Edit: also Malaysian police found the bodies of the two women suspected of killing Kim.

I don't know what they are actually trying to cover up with killing them, unless their orders were to commit suicide after killing him.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If it is true that North Korea was behind it, which seems very likely, Kim Jong-Un is NOT the jolly type of fat man. First his uncle, now his half-brother. I don't like people that murder their family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
More the Henry VIII type, I suppose.