Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

zegermans posted:

This will never happen because the left doesn't vote lockstep like the right does, given the left's ability to think independently and achieve personal belief sets that haven't been delivered by Fox News/Breitbart.

I'm so glad that we can remain morally smug and superior while still getting our asses handed to us. It really shows how much better we are. We should all give ourselves another pat on the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Beyond whatever faction of the party he represents, Perez has done nothing but stumble from one unforced gently caress up to another over the past couple of months. He is going to be shoved in front of the cameras a lot the next few years and it feels pretty inevitable that he is going to say some real stupid poo poo.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...75fc_story.html

Another article on that meeting telling Bernie to stop being so mean

quote:

Manchin insisted on Tuesday that the Democratic caucus is “unified in not wanting to repeal the Affordable Care Act. It’s unified! So why would [protesters] spend any energy on any member who’s already committed to that? They might not like those of us who come from other parts of the country that doesn’t adhere to everything they say or want done, but on the big items, put your energy somewhere else. Bernie can deliver that message better than anybody else.”

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
They know the people want Bernie and it's killing them

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm so glad that we can remain morally smug and superior while still getting our asses handed to us. It really shows how much better we are. We should all give ourselves another pat on the back.

have you read this thread at all

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
♫ And I don't really care if nobody else belieeeeves ♫

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
*nobody else = WI, MI, PA etc

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
As up his own rear end as I think Adam Curtis can be, he put into words the way I feel about Democrats in a pretty succinct way during his interview with Chapo Trap House.

Liberals are terrified because their ideology is predicated on a world that doesn't change of its own accord, or at least not to any major degree. Stability is a necessity for incrementalist politics to be palatable, and the illusion of an essentially stable world is starting to come apart at the seams.

Leftists, on the other hand, seem to be terrified of really losing themselves in a big idea. Curtis talked about how you have to decide how much change you want, and come to grips with the fact that big change might make your life worse, and that you have to make peace with that moving forward if you really want to change the world.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rastor posted:

[thinking face]

🤔🤔🤔

Serf
May 5, 2011

Penisaurus Sex posted:

As up his own rear end as I think Adam Curtis can be, he put into words the way I feel about Democrats in a pretty succinct way during his interview with Chapo Trap House.

Liberals are terrified because their ideology is predicated on a world that doesn't change of its own accord, or at least not to any major degree. Stability is a necessity for incrementalist politics to be palatable, and the illusion of an essentially stable world is starting to come apart at the seams.

Leftists, on the other hand, seem to be terrified of really losing themselves in a big idea. Curtis talked about how you have to decide how much change you want, and come to grips with the fact that big change might make your life worse, and that you have to make peace with that moving forward if you really want to change the world.

we won't see any real change until people have lost everything and have nowhere else to go but forward

but capitalism ensures that people retain just enough basic poo poo that they'll always find something they can't lose and will therefore never rise up

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Serf posted:

we won't see any real change until people have lost everything and have nowhere else to go but forward

but capitalism ensures that people retain just enough basic poo poo that they'll always find something they can't lose and will therefore never rise up

I disagree, to some extent.

The best lesson of history is that you don't need everyone to be a part of a revolution for it to succeed. You only need enough, and enough in America might be as low as a million or two, and there are absolutely that many terrified people in America today.

The problem, if you're interested in a revolution and a replacement of American society rather than a change in the current system, is that 'enough' is incredibly vague and impossible to really analyze. No one knows when a protest turns into something more unless you have the benefit of looking backwards in time.

Penisaurus Sex has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Feb 15, 2017

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
it doesn't really matter who is chair because it's just as feasible to threaten to tea party primary candidates under anybody, even the butt gieg

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Fiction posted:

it doesn't really matter who is chair because it's just as feasible to threaten to tea party primary candidates under anybody, even the butt gieg

Voters have the power, not the elected officials, and when Democratic voters realize that again we'll see some real change.

I would really like Manchin to get primaried by someone, anyone though; he makes me really ashamed to be a WV resident.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fiction posted:

this is ultimately what needs to happen, problem is that we need to wait a year an a half for that to happen and poo poo is happening much faster than in other presidencies

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

So is the DSA plan to coopt the dem party or just start fresh?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

DSA is entryist

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Washington Post is reporting that six Republicans are uneasy about Puzder.

"On Tuesday, Sens. Rob Portman (Ohio) and John Thune (S.D.) told reporters that they’re not willing to support Puzder yet and will wait to see how he fares at his hearing. They join four other GOP senators — Susan Collins (Maine), Johnny Isakson (Ga.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Tim Scott (S.C.) — in publicly voicing reservations."

Fairly certain even Manchin will hold the line.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fiction posted:

Given the bad Dem's track record, someone like Perez is more liable to use the DNC to fight against the primary challenges than Ellison or Buttigieg.

zegermans posted:

That's what the chair election is going to decide.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MizPiz posted:

Given the bad Dem's track record, someone like Perez is more liable to use the DNC to fight against the primary challenges than Ellison or Buttigieg.

I recall it being a thing last year that incumbents were given a lot more institutional support than non-incumbents during the primaries. The DNC chair has a lot of influence over that so who wins definitely will have an impact on who ends up running in 2018 in at least some races. Plus this is the first highly visible internal election since the Dems got wrecked last November, so signalling whether they're doubling down on the third way or going a new direction will also show possible candidates what direction the party is headed and influence whether they decide to run.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zegermans posted:

coopt

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/831897096370475010

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zegermans posted:

i'm hoping it results in some sort of dual power situation

and then we have an october revolution

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

if perez is elected i'm probably going to stop bothering with the democrats and just vote for DSA approved candidates. it seems like the dems think they can win again by just being the not-trump in 2020. they may be right, but it's a terrible idea and will just make sure more trumps are elected in the future. thanks dems for being asleep at the wheel while the nation howls for change

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

this video but at the last second a navy seal shoots lisa in the neck

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

I'd hope coopt, they're not radical enough to appeal to the genuine fringe groups (who, spoiler alert, don't vote anyway because they're pretty sure the jew robots have already rigged the results or whatever) and as a third party most of their shine would be taken the green crowd.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

Then lets her bleed out

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

zegermans posted:

Then lets her bleed out

then gets riddled in turn by friendly fire from other seals that are trying to gun down marge

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it pisses me off that the dems need the left part of their base to win, but absolutely refuse to give any concessions or do anything to try to appeal to that base. if the dems want to chase republican voters then go ahead, just don't get mad at leftists for not supporting your rightward slide

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I'm gonna make my own political party

with blackjack

and hookers

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Condiv posted:

it pisses me off that the dems need the left part of their base to win, but absolutely refuse to give any concessions or do anything to try to appeal to that base. if the dems want to chase republican voters then go ahead, just don't get mad at leftists for not supporting your rightward slide

Hill spent the last election chasing Republicans and LOOK WHERE THAT loving GOT US

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

UHD posted:

I'm gonna make my own political party

with blackjack

and hookers

Libertarians already exist.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Al! posted:

This made me die, just like the 8 year old girl and the navy seal

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LOLing at the part of this where Congress reacts to a corruption scandal by actually acting on it rather than turning desperately to damage control, then doesn't give themselves a pay raise

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Condiv posted:

I feel like there were multiple concessions in the DNC platform and the left maligned it for not being exactly like Bernie's. It's not a question of offering concessions, it's a question of unconditional surrender.

an actual dog posted:

Hill spent the last election chasing Republicans and LOOK WHERE THAT loving GOT US

Out of all the dumb poo poo she did, this was the stupidest possible decision. They bought every GOP dogwhistle where they pretend to be about family values and rule of law and all that bullshit, when all most GOP voters care about is sticking it to the Other. She could run ads all day long showing how Trump was a sexist sexual predator con-man, but he had the religious right the instant he dehumanized Hispanics.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zegermans posted:

I feel like there were multiple concessions in the DNC platform and the left maligned it for not being exactly like Bernie's. It's not a question of offering concessions, it's a question of unconditional surrender.

"SINGLE PAYER WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN!!"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

ya, and they should

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

full communism now

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

zegermans posted:

Nobody believed it would be implemented. A platform isn't worth any more than the person behind it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

zegermans posted:

There's a very clear distinction between saying something and doing something.

Hillary made it very clear she was fine with one, but I don't imagine for a second she'd be fine with both, nor do I think most Democrats would be. That's a fundamental misreading of what the Democratic party is and who it is for; I'm not mad at them for it, but I also don't expect them to ever be a true worker's party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also yes, the fuckups that have gotten us into this should surrender unconditionally. they got donald loving trump elected, why should they get a single goddamn thing

• Locked thread