Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

The Long Dark is pretty drat good until it gets boring.

scathing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thats a trait all games share. very perceptive

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think TLD starts off kind of boring. It's not really a game I play for excitement or anything, I'd describe more as compelling rather than fun.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It's the Euro Truck Simulator of survival.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Depending where you spawn, TLD can be very hard to get into. Freeplay is an absolutely brutal introduction to the basic mechanics of the game, and I actually tried and deleted it twice before I finally read a starter guide, got to a cabin with some basic supplies and really got into it.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Syrant posted:

Has anyone had issues reconnecting to a co-op game in The Forest after their first session? Buddy and I got, well, soundly hosed by some crazy poo poo and tried to reload the last save but I just couldn't connect. We'll try some more stuff tomorrow but if this is something with a current jury-rig solution I would just like to find out.

I played The Forest for maybe 10 hours a long time ago, but I have a friend who plays it now, so please let me know if you figure out what the problem is. This friend and I have a string of failures in trying to get co-op games to work going back to like Jagged Alliance, and if he has to forward ports or something he's just gonna be like "oh my god not this again, gently caress it, i'm out"

edit:

Bhodi posted:

Depending where you spawn, TLD can be very hard to get into. Freeplay is an absolutely brutal introduction to the basic mechanics of the game, and I actually tried and deleted it twice before I finally read a starter guide, got to a cabin with some basic supplies and really got into it.

My early attempts at this were a while ago, and once I got to a point where I wasn't literally about to die of something the next day, I kind of retired because I didn't want to mess it up. That was a long time ago and I've played a lot more since, but at the time I didn't even realize they were separate maps. (My current playthrough is still one of those original characters that I'd just play a bit every couple months, so something has been new to me every time I pick this up again)

I'm only just now arriving at Pleasant Valley for the first time and the bounty is so significant it almost makes me suspicious. Like I found 2 boxes of rifle rounds in the first place I went, and previous to this, back in Mystery Lake, the most rifle rounds I'd ever had was 4 (3 of which I used to the lofty purpose of "scare deer away unharmed"). I killed at least a dozen wolves and a few rabbits with my single arrow, which I would then break down and salvage because I had plenty of materials but just the one arrowhead. The only bear I ever confronted, I shot with a distress pistol, at which point it ran around me in circles glowing orange like a boss monster until I found it dead far away an hour later. I would sit in my haunted abandoned dam and clean one of my two rifles to pass the time before bedtime if it got too dark to read (too dark to read one of my two rifle books), at which point I would go to sleep and dream of rifles. Now that I actually have ammo for it I barely know what to do with myself and I expect it to just blow up in my face or something.

e2: Also I don't think I saw anyone in this thread comment on Jen Hale doing her Mass Effect 2 "acquiring upgrade" sound barks when you find items in this game (except delivered much more sedately) but I get a kick out of it

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 22, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone made a survival game set on a remote tropical island? Just...make Castaway: The Game or something. The Forest is probably closest I suppose, its an island isn't it?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has anyone made a survival game set on a remote tropical island? Just...make Castaway: The Game or something. The Forest is probably closest I suppose, its an island isn't it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313120/

Not going to testify to how good/bad it is because I haven't played it (and you can see the reviews). But it's there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Not an island game specifically, but The Raft is an interesting take. You start out on a small raft in the middle of the ocean, and all you have is a hook on a rope. You get resources by hooking wreckage that floats past while fighting off sharks that are trying to tear your raft apart to get at you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXHChowZG0

It's still in early development, so once you've played for two or three hours you've kinda seen everything it has to offer. It's still worth giving a try if you're into Minecraft skyblocks.

How's Wayward? It's listed in the OP from ages ago but I was wondering how it is now that it's got a bunch of updates under its belt.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm playing The Long Dark and the transition from Voyager to Stalker is kind of jarring. On the former it feels like you drown in candy bars and sodas and supplies and on the latter wolves come at you from EVERYWHERE and the outside freezes you if you walk half a kilometre. (don't even get me started on Interloper)

Maybe I'm just a bad survivor, but I just can't seem to get my survivin' goin' on. I even deliberately started in Pleasant valley to camp in the farmstead, but I usually end up prey to wolves until I can find some guts to get a snare going for a steady food supply. Or is it better to try and fish, if you're in a map with fishing huts?

Not to mention I have generally terrible orienteering skills and can't hit anything with the rifle (let alone the bow, albeit I only had the chance to try it in my earlier Pilgrim run). It seems like it just hasn't the range, since I'm pretty sure I'm aiming properly at a deer but the bullet just doesn't hit it. (or maybe I am not aiming properly after all.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the bow is definitely a trick and a half to aim, though thankfully once you get used to it, it's like riding a bike. i would definitely not feel ashamed about starting a Pilgrim game just to screw around with it and get feedback.

also are you sure the bullet is not hitting the deer? a deer will not go down immediately when shot unless you get a sicknasty headshot; it will run around and bleed out for a long while first. that said, sicknasty headshots are what you're going to want to go for on voyager. the rifle was never difficult to aim last time i was playing, it was just a matter of lining up the ironsights and being patient enough to let the deer move its head into your sights. don't go chasing the animal around visually, just set up and let them come to you.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

If I was looking for an easier start in Stalker, I think I'd pick Mystery Lake. The indoor locations are close enough together that you can try and stock up on food and clothes without freezing during the journey between them when you don't have much warmth. I think there would be more opportunities for loot there as well, at least to get things going at the start where it can be the hardest. With the exception of Interloper, I usually find that I can explore most if not all of the available areas just scavenging cabins or deer carcasses (assuming you have something to cut them with) to survive before I have to hunker down in a base and find more sustainable methods of food. When I do run out of food from scavenging though fishing is usually my preferred method, since freezing or being attacked by wolves isn't usually a concern like with deer hunting. Rabbits don't offer as much meat as quickly as fishing, so I'm typically only using snares if I need to make rabbitskin mittens.

Stalker is ridiculously heavy with wolves, and I don't go very long on it without being attacked (though I'm also impatient and don't usually take the long way around too often). If you find yourself freezing trying to avoid them, look for tea/coffee/reishi/berries to heat up before leaving the indoors. As for the rifle, it does become more steady as you level up the skill (either through hits or books), but still doesn't have that giant of a range. If you get the little skill up icon after firing it means you hit whatever you aimed at, you just usually then need to follow it (unless you got a headshot) until it bleeds out (which can sometimes take a while).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I forgot about Stranded Deep, its already on my Wishlist. Paid a dollar for The Raft, we'll see how this is.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Honestly don't play Stalker. It's exactly the same as Voyager only there's 3 times more wolves, which makes it tedious in the beginning and actually easier in the mid to end game since there's so much meat, guts and skins around.

Voyager until you're bored ---> Interloper when you want a real challenge. Stalker is just completely wrong.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Raft is alright if very shallow for now. Spent about an hour with it, feels like I've experienced all it has. Good to keep an eye on, though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The game is also free for now, which pretty much means by default it's a worthwhile buy

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Raft is alright if very shallow.

I'll have you know that the ocean is very deep

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just finished the Nomad challenge in The Long Dark: http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Nomad

Taking the direct route from Pleasant Valley's Rural Crossroads to the entrance of Timberwolf Mountain was loving brutal, I got attacked by wolves three times. Luckily once I hit T.W. it was a quick walk to the hut, which was my final location for the challenge.

It took me 68 days total to do it. Started in Pleasant Valley, moved to Mystery Lake once I hit all the PV locations, then Coastal Highway, Desolation Point, and finally Timberwolf Mountain. I wasted a lot of time hauling around half-cured pelts and gut from location to location before finally realizing that you don't get to keep playing after you complete the challenge, and the premade clothes will last you long enough. Ended the game with about 20 rifle rounds left over, having also built and played with the bow.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I played The Forest with some friends and holy poo poo is the game ever different.

When you're by yourself, it feels like the best course of action is to hop from camp to camp around the island. Hiding from the natives and marking the caves seems like a safe course of action to help you get along. Nevertheless, there's always the feeling of being hunted.

When you play with friends, you can literally go gently caress you natives, kick down their doors, burn their camps, play dress-up with their bones, and adorn yourself in red paint until you and your group are death, destroyer of worlds. You simply hunt the natives for sport and douse their heavy hitters in molotovs and dynamite.

At the very least, even with peeps cave exploration still reeks with tension.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Recently got really into Subnautica. I really like basebuilding survival games (I've certainly sunk a fair amount of time into minecraft.) Can you guys make some recommendations? TLD is fun but not a basebuilding game and a lot of other base building games don't have much of a survival element.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Xibanya posted:

Recently got really into Subnautica. I really like basebuilding survival games (I've certainly sunk a fair amount of time into minecraft.) Can you guys make some recommendations? TLD is fun but not a basebuilding game and a lot of other base building games don't have much of a survival element.

If you can stomach primitive tiled 2d graphics, UnReal World is about ten miles deep. It has deep and extensive gameplay in both the survival and basebuilding aspects. As an added bonus, it's extremely Finnish. I mean like the most Finnish game you've ever played.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Overwined posted:

If you can stomach primitive tiled 2d graphics, UnReal World is about ten miles deep. It has deep and extensive gameplay in both the survival and basebuilding aspects. As an added bonus, it's extremely Finnish. I mean like the most Finnish game you've ever played.

I think My Summer Car might offer some competition there.

Along with URW, Cataclysm could be thought of as a bit base-buildy, but it's got its own form of brutality.

Among the mass of other early access games with base building, few are as clean as Subnautica. 7D2D, Empyrion,. Rimworld? Factorio, in a way. Stonehearth is more town-buildy.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Fayk posted:

I think My Summer Car might offer some competition there.

The number of VERY Finnish games that exist is kind of alarming in proportion to their overall population, when you think of it. There really needs to be a mashup. UnReal Summer Car. You have fallen into a timewarp and been transported back to Iron Age Finland with only some rudimentary tools and a case of beer. Can you build a FWD shitbox out of iron ore and wood and leaves so that you can jump the car back into the timewarp and return home to get more beer?

I would play this game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Overwined posted:

The number of VERY Finnish games that exist is kind of alarming in proportion to their overall population, when you think of it. There really needs to be a mashup. UnReal Summer Car. You have fallen into a timewarp and been transported back to Iron Age Finland with only some rudimentary tools and a case of beer. Can you build a FWD shitbox out of iron ore and wood and leaves so that you can jump the car back into the timewarp and return home to get more beer?

I would play this game.

The Long Dark is a sequel (prequel?) to MSC. It's a pretty accurate representation of Finnish winters with freezing -52 C temperatures.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Hello. The Long Dark is a very good game. I'm playing on Interloper after doing like 2 weeks on Voyageur and it is loving gripping how tense this game gets.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Firos posted:

Hello. The Long Dark is a very good game. I'm playing on Interloper after doing like 2 weeks on Voyageur and it is loving gripping how tense this game gets.

I've been streaming it on and off so my brother & friends can see what the game is like, and it's made me realize it can be absurdly boring to watch, but skirting my way carefully through Pleasant Valley to avoid wolves is legitimately tense as hell as the player. And the most 'exciting' part is when you get attacked by a wolf, but god that's the last thing you want because my coat's only at 25% and it's cold as gently caress outside...

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've been streaming it on and off so my brother & friends can see what the game is like, and it's made me realize it can be absurdly boring to watch, but skirting my way carefully through Pleasant Valley to avoid wolves is legitimately tense as hell as the player. And the most 'exciting' part is when you get attacked by a wolf, but god that's the last thing you want because my coat's only at 25% and it's cold as gently caress outside...

I had 9% condition being chased by a wolf in CH towards the petrol station; Jesus gently caress my heart was pounding as I ducked in and had to start a fire with the weird LSD trip visual effect.

Ninja edit: Also, if fresh guts etc. are curing and I pick them up to take them with me, do they retain their % cured?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Firos posted:

Ninja edit: Also, if fresh guts etc. are curing and I pick them up to take them with me, do they retain their % cured?
They do! They just won't continue to cure until they're dropped indoors again.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Haifisch posted:

They do! They just won't continue to cure until they're dropped indoors again.

Great! That's what I expected.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Another question, does sleeping in a car count towards the stupid cabin fever thing?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Firos posted:

Another question, does sleeping in a car count towards the stupid cabin fever thing?

Nope - but it's a really good way to freeze to death unless you have really warm clothing. Be careful with it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The, "safest" way to wait out cabin fever is by making a snow shelter and sleeping in intervals (in case of temperature drops)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
IIRC, don't fishing huts count as outside too? Probably a bit safer in case of severe cold, although then you have to deal with hiking out to the huts.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

You get a warmth bonus using a shelter (more when sleeping) over a hut, but yea if it was too cold for the shelter the hut would be better because of the stove. You can make a fire outside your shelter while still in it, but presumably if it was cold enough to require that it probably would be blown out via wind.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I loving hate wolves :argh:. Two days out from having all my cured wood, guts etc. and crafting a survival bow and arrows and a wolf sneaks up on me just as I'm walking into my house :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Firos posted:

I loving hate wolves :argh:. Two days out from having all my cured wood, guts etc. and crafting a survival bow and arrows and a wolf sneaks up on me just as I'm walking into my house :(

It killed you? It seems like I can survive multiple attacks in a row pretty handily provided I have a hunting knife in my inventory.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

It killed you? It seems like I can survive multiple attacks in a row pretty handily provided I have a hunting knife in my inventory.

Like 30% condition will do that I guess :v:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

poo poo, I just survived my first bear attack on day 29. Went out the kitchen door of the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse to go intentionally hunt a couple wolves that were blocking a northern avenue of exploration when BAM there's a bear right there. He didn't aggro so I stupidly took a shot at him. I landed the shot, but that just pissed him off and he was waaaayyy too close for me to be able to get off a second shot. That little cutscene that plays during a bear attack is harrowing as he looks into your eyes and says "Okay, now I'm eating your liver. And now your pancreas. Oh what's that, there's nothing you can do about it? Oh, I know."

Somehow he left me with about 20% condition and bleeding. I was so mad at him that I picked up my rifle and shot him in the rear end before I staunched the flow of blood.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

meatsaw posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313120/

Not going to testify to how good/bad it is because I haven't played it (and you can see the reviews). But it's there.
I've played quite a bit of Stranded Deep, both when it first came out and recently. Can't really recommend it at the moment. You might get 4-6 hours of entertainment out of it as a first time player but the long term survival gets pretty anemic pretty quickly and your character has a cripplingly small amount of inventory space which gets frustrating real quick. It has a lot of potential and it looks gorgeous, but yeah, I'd give it at least another year of development time before I recommend putting money into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Not sure if this is the right thread for this game. But I am sure that it's the closest to being the "right" thread.

Just read abut Walden, a game which is about living on Walden Pond a la Henry David Thoreau. Supposedly you can collect samples of various flora and fauna, explore, or build out your modest cabin in the woods. Looks interesting to me. Apparently a limited alpha will begin in March.