Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Eej posted:

Hell I'll be happy to be a backbencher. I'll leave no legacy but I'll get to do jack poo poo and be paid for it.

Nah you're thinking of a senator. I'd feel at least vaguely guilty doing nothing as an MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

pokeyman posted:

Nah you're thinking of a senator. I'd feel at least vaguely guilty doing nothing as an MP.

You obviously have never met Kevin Lamoreux.

(Tbf he is pretty cool. He will often hang out in his seat in the HOC after hours because he loves the idea of being an mp.)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kly posted:

lol remember when helsing was clutching his pearls over people believing russians were involved in getting trump elected

Haha yeah man it's so obvious the Russians made Hillary not campaign in Michigan, Wisconsin or Pennsylvania. I can't believe we're circling back to Russia already, it's gonna be an exhausting 8 years.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Haha yeah man it's so obvious the Russians made Hillary not campaign in Michigan, Wisconsin or Pennsylvania. I can't believe we're circling back to Russia already, it's gonna be an exhausting 8 years.

I didn't know the Russians had to be the reason Hillary lost to be considered 'involved in getting Trump elected'

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hosed up that Hillary didn't campaign in Pennsylvania, the state where she had the most visits and spent the second most money.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Also hosed up: when no-war-but-class-war leftists rail against political correctness in service of pushing awful transphobic garbage.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

hosed up that Hillary didn't campaign in Pennsylvania, the state where she had the most visits and spent the second most money.

That is true, I just think they just started there too late. Hubris.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-clinton-campaign-seems-to-think-pennsylvania-is-in-the-bag/

JawKnee posted:

I didn't know the Russians had to be the reason Hillary lost to be considered 'involved in getting Trump elected'

Come on, the Russians were 'involved' just because of the accusations the DNC was constantly lobbing. I read between the lines a bit and turned involved into 'involved significantly' which isn't that outlandish seeing as cnn's 42pt headline right now is "Trump aides were in constant touch with senior Russian officials during campaign".

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Priorities made a 10.5 million dollar ad buy literally two days after that article was written, and the actual campaign was on the air for at least 500k a week from mid-July on. Clinton lost for a lot of reasons, but "couldn't count to 270" isn't one of them.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 15, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

Clinton lost for a lot of reasons, but "couldn't count to 270" isn't one of them.

Fine. Do you think Russia is one of those reasons why she lost?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yes, I do have a functioning brain.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its possible that the intent to interfere and help Trump was there yet ended up having no effect, which is still A Bad Thing.

e: I hope you have this same dedication to facts and truth when Patrick Brown loses to Wynne. :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Did the DNC email leak effect public perception of Hillary Clinton?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yes, I do have a functioning brain.

Agree to disagree.

Furnaceface posted:

Its possible that the intent to interfere and help Trump was there yet ended up having no effect, which is still A Bad Thing.

e: I hope you have this same dedication to facts and truth when Patrick Brown loses to Wynne. :v:

Yeah, we can move the goalposts to 'Russia wanted Trump but didn't actually influence anything', I'll agree to that. DNC started saying Russia hacked them without any proof then Hillary comes out with "we're going to retaliate against cyber attacks with military responses". Of course Russia didn't want her to win. The motive was there for them. This whole thing is believable (because Hillary was such a terrible candidate for the USA as well as the planet).

I've seen OPCs blow it 3 times man, a fourth isn't going to devastate my character.

infernal machines posted:

Did the DNC email leak effect public perception of Hillary Clinton?

Maybe? I think for a lot of Berners, it just confirmed what they suspected. Based on the contents of the leak though, I don't think it was Russia that hacked them. I think it's much more likely a disgruntled insider disgusted with how they handled the primaries. Russia certainly didn't force Clinton to hire the disgraced DNC chair into her campaign immediately.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Maybe? I think for a lot of Berners, it just confirmed what they suspected. Based on the contents of the leak though, I don't think it was Russia that hacked them. I think it's much more likely a disgruntled insider disgusted with how they handled the primaries. Russia certainly didn't force Clinton to hire the disgraced DNC chair into her campaign immediately.

Please do not talk like you know anything about attribution.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Good thread on the podesta email hacks https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/816621553643294720

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
http://business.financialpost.com/f...icies-collapses

quote:

If Canada’s going to decarbonize, it will happen only when new non-subsidized consumer-friendly technologies finally arrive. Political jawboning won’t do it.

The only way to solve emissions.... is through the free market. Give up policy makers, let the big boys handle this.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Stickarts posted:

As a trivial example of the danger of these discussions, consider the murder case that Dreylad (I think?)

Not me, I post about even more boring stuff. I think that's someone else (good post tho)

LeschNyhan posted:

Alright, fine, I'll bite, since I work pretty closely with the mental health systems and I was told I should post.

And I'm way late to respond to this but thank you for taking the time to post this.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 15, 2017

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Dreylad posted:

Not me, I post about even more boring stuff. I think that's someone else (good post tho)

And I'm way late to respond to this but thank you for taking the time to post this.

Yea I often conflate you and David Corbett due to the black and white portrait photo avatars. Even though I know Corbett's is CANADA'S GREATEST CANADIAN® Tommy Douglas. Yours looks like a dapper Hugh Laurie look-a-like contest winner but google tells me you're a fan of 1960s British television.

Apologies to both.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Stickarts posted:

Yea I often conflate you and David Corbett due to the black and white portrait photo avatars. Even though I know Corbett's is CANADA'S GREATEST CANADIAN® Tommy Douglas. Yours looks like a dapper Hugh Laurie look-a-like contest winner but google tells me you're a fan of 1960s British television.

Apologies to both.

That's Patrick McGoohan from 'The Prisoner', you uncultured swine.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

This is very good and should be enough to tell people like Ikantski to not talk out loud on these matters.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

http://www.newswire.ca/news-release...-613822443.html

Bell acquisition of MTS receives final regulatory approvals from ISED and Competition Bureau, transaction set to close on March 17

gently caress everything - lock in your plans asap. Not that it will mean poo poo as I am sure they will find a way to increase it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

OSI bean dip posted:

Funny story: when I was in Belgium a few years back (2015), they had no problem understanding my garbage French especially when I was shopping for a few books; same situation when I was in Nice the year prior. Last fall, I was in Paris, and I swear to god that they either hate Canadian anglophones speaking French or my brain has thrown out a lot of my French.

I've found that whenever I'm in Europe, people assume I'm Belgian when I speak French. I can't tell if this is because my broken version of French actually sounds Belgian or if Europeans just use "Belgian" as a catch-all for broken French.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Bell acquisition of MTS receives final regulatory approvals from ISED and Competition Bureau, transaction set to close on March 17

gently caress everything - lock in your plans asap. Not that it will mean poo poo as I am sure they will find a way to increase it.

pro tip, for what canada you do hold buy into our oligarchys. BCE: 48% 5y ror, plus a dividend of 11.86 in that period wo inflation

You'll be paying ON market rates in 3 years.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

Well 12 more months of Unlimited Data and Manitoba Calling is okay by me for $55.00 is okay for now. I'm interested to see what Xplornet does with their limited share in cell service now or if Shaw has any plans to expand Freedom Mobile nationwide.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm on a $55 Fido plan (I leave the province enough that I didn't want an MTS plan) and it might just be time to go back on contract and get a new phone before I have to pay twice as much for what I get now.

Also share holders uber alles gently caress everyone else god bless capitalim.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I wonder how many MTS shares Gary Filmon and Brian Pallister are holding in a 3rd party fund right now?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

You're right, man. I was out of line and unsympathetic. I'm sorry folks

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Stickarts posted:

I just don't think these extremely difficult and personal conversations scale well most of the time. As an outsider, it takes a lot of history and cultivated trust to speak candidly on issues with those affected by them. I can see, then, why, in a public forum, it is easier to just toe the scripted line in terms of identity politics or eschew these minefields. How do you possibly begin to unpack an issue in the way it must be unpacked to begin to achieve a true and truly complicated understanding with more than a handful of people present? I don't think you do. Speaking from personal experience, I have had extremely challenging conversations with minoritised people, and even said ignorant and hurtful things in these conversations, but because the discussion was based on a relationship of trust built through time it could happen in a fruitful, meaningful, positive way.

I'm running out of steam here, have deadlines, and don't even know if this is on topic. gently caress it :justpost:

This was a thoughtful post and I salute you for making it. But it also sort of talks past my concerns. I don't in any way question the suffering of subaltern groups or the merits of cultivating trust and mutual understanding over time. But at the end of the day it's still not clear to me how the majority of the contemporary left would actually translate confrontation into a meaningful political victory on the scale of victories won in the past when institutions like government funded healthcare or pensions or worker safety regulations were developed.

When I look at the left today I see an extremely scattered and divided handful of people spouting off way too much french post structuralist theory, mired in social irrelevance within the ivory tower of academia or journalism or cultural criticisms, and quite often substituting performative outrage for effective politicking and organizing. The result is that when the two biggest targets of traditional leftist criticism: neoconservatism and neoliberalism, has this spectacular double meltdown in the mid-2000s (i.e. the financial crisis and the Iraq insurgency) the left accomplished less than nothing. It utterly failed to capitalize on the moment when it's two largest targets of criticism were massively discredited. Insofar as the left has had an impact on politics it's been the election of terrible leaders like Obama and Trudeau. And now that failure of the left to articulate an appealing alternative to neoliberalism has given the alt-right the initiative and suddenly we're seeing the retreat of liberal institutions and the rise of explicitly authoritarian political parties and movements. Yet many of the most progressive people I know in my actual life are far more concerned about cultural criticism issues like whether it was white washing to cast Tilda Swinton in a traditionally Asian role in Dr. Strange.

Dialogue and building relationships of trust over time is viable in specific contexts where time and circumstance allow, but it doesn't really scale up effective as a tactic and frankly it doesn't really address the depth fo the left's failure.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Also hosed up: when no-war-but-class-war leftists rail against political correctness in service of pushing awful transphobic garbage.

quote:

Second-wave feminists like myself, who view feminism as a liberation movement closely tied to political action (via the promulgation of “reproductive freedom,” sexual-harassment laws, equal pay, paid maternity leave, and universal child care), often keep our mouths shut regarding the way trans activists discuss womanhood and gender politics. This is rooted in a fear that our criticism of the trans rhetorical goals will translate into denying their realistic goals.

quote:

It’s true: the more power women have over their own reproduction, the less power men have over them. And while the removal of death and mutilation from childbirth has indeed taken some of the medieval drama out of sex for American women, there are giant swaths of the female population worldwide that still exist in that reality. To say to the woman crouched in a hut, tearing herself open to give life, that this uniquely female, and dangerously female, experience is somehow a construct makes you sound not only foolish but also callous.

Women are nature’s conscripts. For approximately 40 years of a woman’s life, nature demands that she be a mother. It is only through medical and political triumphs that they now have a say in the matter.

quote:

What else should feminism focus on if not women? Penny seems to adhere to the muddled, Maoist notion that all oppressed peoples share the same political objectives. This is not true. If political movements are to be viable, they must be disciplined and narrow in their objectives. If the Bus Riders Union wants to expand lines to poor areas across a major metropolitan region, its members need not reconcile their various stances toward Palestinian independence. When LGBTQ activists campaigned for marriage equality, they did not figure out a way to include the drum circles of the Occupy movement. Exclusion is the price of militancy and often the root of its success.

In what possible way does this woman qualify as a "no-war-but-class-war leftist" when her entire article is explicitly arguing that women have a set of unique and specific shared experiences that unite them as an interest group and calls for feminists to be "disciplined and narrow in their objectives"? That description if incredibly disingenuous assuming you even read that article before posting it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

In what possible way does this woman qualify as a "no-war-but-class-war leftist" when her entire article is explicitly arguing that women have a set of unique and specific shared experiences that unite them as an interest group and calls for feminists to be "disciplined and narrow in their objectives"? That description if incredibly disingenuous assuming you even read that article before posting it.

So disciplined and narrow that the author is getting upset and calling trans women "men" and then whining that political correctness deems that unacceptable. gently caress her.

It's maybe not the perfect example of the phenomenon, but it's certainly an example of a "progressive" bitching about political correctness as soon as it interferes with their own pet issue. Which, to be honest, is a problem with a lot of progressives -- I think many progressives, and I'd probably include myself in this given my general economic point-of-view, see progressivism as a thing that doesn't need to be supported past their own personal interest.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The term political correctness never actually appears in that article. The author does complain about some liberal arts college where a performance of the Vagina Monologues was cancelled and roundly condemned for being transphobic but that's not an attack on "political correctness" it's a critique of the massive over reach of student activism.

And while the author makes some insensitive comments about trans people 'mutilating" their genitals I don't really know where you get the idea that "[the author see's] progressivism as a thing that doesn't need to be supported past their own personal interest". A significant part of the argument she's making is precisely that contemporary trans activism's fixation on gender being a "construct" ignores the experience of women outside the first world whose entire lives are structured around and dominated by their biology. So unless you define the author's "personal interest" in an incredibly expansive way that includes the well being of billions of women in the third world then your criticism makes no sense.

But God forbid we criticize and article based on the actual content of the arguments. That might require us to actually read the drat thing instead of just responding to the three paragraphs we saw quoted. So let's just lazily assume the author's ideas are merely a projection of her own positionality. Because that's literally what passes for "analysis" in most contemporary progressive circles.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

quote:

Throughout the 2014 academic year, students and faculty rallied around the effort to allow certain individuals—i.e., men who did not have vaginas but nevertheless identified as women—admission into the traditionally all-female campus

Hmm, yes, this sounds like the sort of good progressive voice we should listen to.

Seriously, I think the US election has done a number on you Helsing, you seem way crazier than before.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I'm not defending the author I'm pointing out that the specific things you're saying about the article make no sense.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Any good resources on what's in the new free trade deal with the EU that canada just signed? Especially re: IP and copyright laws. Are there any ISDS like provisions that were in the TPP?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Yeah, I did read it. It lines up with your grievances quite nicely :angel:

quote:

The problem with elevating this kind of personal pursuit—and the disastrous problem with the insipid phrase “the personal is political”—is that somehow the ability to pass as a man or woman is considered “progressive.” As a union organizer who embraces traditional leftist causes like fighting poverty and income inequality and demanding universal access to medical care and child care, I find that the aims of the trans movement amount to a therapeutic endeavor rather than a political one. Yet, alas, therapy, identity, symbols make up the conceptual framework for nearly all contemporary leftist politics. This conception of social justice has completely replaced the leftist political goal of socialism. Giant collective movements for wealth redistribution and a strong welfare state have been supplanted by a diffuse, leaderless network of online grievances that typically center on issues of language (e.g., the use of pronouns, a celebrity saying something racially insensitive, books read in a college course) and mass media (the Academy Awards having no black nominees, few strong female leads in television shows, advertisers’ unrealistic beauty standards, etc., etc.).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, I did read it. It lines up with your grievances quite nicely :angel:

This is like if I cited Justine Tunney being an idiot and then used it to imply some kind of sweeping condemnation of all trans people.

Anyway, other than the fact you don't like the authors opinions on trans activism do you have an actual criticism of the passage you just quoted or is this literally just guilt by association?

You're a big Hilary Clinton fan but I assume you don't actually support her past comments about "super predators" or her penchant for bombing other countries. Presumably you shared enough of her beliefs to think she was the best candidate to support in the US Primary and general election, but I don't immediately leap from there to assuming that you're therefore responsible for everything Clinton ever did or said. This is the most pathetic kind of attack by insinuation and I honestly would have thought you were better than this.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Will competition from the EU save us from Rogers and Bell??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tekz posted:

Will competition from the EU save us from Rogers and Bell??

What competition would that be?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just give up Helsing this thread became terrible years ago and is now only worthy of the occasional super stinky poo poo post. The future is a boot stamping on a human face forever, and that face is screaming at the face next to it for not using the most socially correct words while begging for it to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/04200.html

quote:

Based on an analysis of information collected during this inquiry, the Competition Bureau (Bureau) concluded that as a result of coordinated behaviour among Bell, TELUS and Rogers, mobile wireless prices in Canada are higher in regions where Bell, TELUS and Rogers do not face competition from a strong regional competitor. Conversely, the Bureau concluded that where Bell, TELUS and Rogers face competition from a strong regional competitor, prices are substantially lower. The Bureau concluded that the lower prices are caused by the presence of a strong regional competitor who can disrupt the effects of coordination among Bell, TELUS and Rogers.

THEN WHY DID YOU loving APPROVE IT?!!?!