Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

I just tell it as it is. Also competent people don't have private email servers going against protocals and know that if they need hispanic voters they campaign for their votes, and that states with republican governors you want to go for you should probably be campaigned in. Rather then just attending fundraisers in Hollywood. Also I tell it as it is. As Jefferson Clay was wmore ththen happy to throw black and hispanic males under the bus because Abuela lost. You defended him. So there is also that. Really its just sad you guys try to pretend you have a ounce of empathy in you. All you want are cheap iphones.

This still never happened. Stop lying about people crowsbeak you motherfucking liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you see NAFTA killed jobs which is why job losses didn't start until GWB's inauguration

nafta killed jobs in both the USA and Mexico and pitted the lower classes of both countries against each other. It was a poo poo deal that only helped the rich

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think all this overwrought shouting about the most boring position in the entire party would be put to better use in forming some kind of political trudgecore band

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

JeffersonClay posted:

Perez isn't a centrist. The 2016 democratic platform is not centrist. The positions articulated by Perez and the 2016 platform are not electoral liabilities, and there's zero evidence democrats would benefit from shifting further left. Your "give me exactly what I want or I'll throw a tantrum" strategy got you nothing but Trump in 2016 and will get you exactly the same if you try it again.

But that doesn't matter to the Bernout crew, not really. They aren't arguing in good faith. They want "their guy" to win because their guy lost last year and they want their pound of flesh as bloody vengeance. Plus compromise and pragmatism don't get them that sweet, sweet moral indignation high, which is the only reason why they're into politics.

And if all this means tanking the party and letting the fascists win, great. When you win you have to do things, you don't just get to snipe anymore, which would take all the fun out of this.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Your "get exactly what you want or else you will throw a tantrum" strategy didnt work in 2016 so you better give me exactly what i want or else i will throw a tantrum

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
TPP members: Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam.

We currently have FTA with Australia, Canada, Chile, Mexico, Peru and Singapore.

Our tariff rates on Brunei, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand and Vietnam are on the order of like 3% outside of certain goods (e.g., chicken tax on Japanese light trucks)

Like sure I get the "what's the benefit to American workers to get them to sign on" but the idea that our trade agreements killed jobs doesn't make sense

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JeffersonClay posted:

Perez isn't a centrist. The 2016 democratic platform is not centrist. The positions articulated by Perez and the 2016 platform are not electoral liabilities, and there's zero evidence democrats would benefit from shifting further left. Your "give me exactly what I want or I'll throw a tantrum" strategy got you nothing but Trump in 2016 and will get you exactly the same if you try it again.

I disagree with the notion that moving left wouldn't be helpful. There's a huge desire for more from both Sanders supporters and groups like BLM. How much more left is up for debate, given the conservatism of the electorate in general, but I think the problem is one of marketing left policies, more so than left policies not being popular.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

You should be able to acknowledge that trade deals we have historically made were bad without being opposed to the idea of trade deals in principle.

^ :smith:

We should, but considering said deals were bipartisan we really can't trust the dems to institute a good one.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*bangs furiously on lovely guitar*

dwwwwaaaaauuugughhhhh bernie would have wooooooooooon whooaaaaaarrrrrggghhhh

*ten minute drum solo*

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah now I want you to go to Indiana and Ohio and tell everyone there that Nafta made their life better.

yes I agree there's been a longstanding misinformation campaign deflecting blame for job losses from capitalists to foreigners

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

We should, but considering said deals were bipartisan we really can't trust the dems to institute a good one.

I mean in principle, you can't trust any of the ruling class with anything. Politics is about strategy and alliances of convenience, not trust or ideological purity. That may not be how should be, but it is how it is.

I think that good trade deals is the best way for us to crack down on poo poo labor and environmental standards abroad. The problem is turning deals like TPP into that instead of geopolitical chess pieces and corporate hand outs.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

yes I agree there's been a longstanding misinformation campaign deflecting blame for job losses from capitalists to foreigners

who do you think is sponsoring and structuring these trade deals? capitalists, through one of their two political arms (the Democratic party)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

TPP members: Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam.

We currently have FTA with Australia, Canada, Chile, Mexico, Peru and Singapore.

Our tariff rates on Brunei, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand and Vietnam are on the order of like 3% outside of certain goods (e.g., chicken tax on Japanese light trucks)

Like sure I get the "what's the benefit to American workers to get them to sign on" but the idea that our trade agreements killed jobs doesn't make sense

It does
http://www.epi.org/blog/naftas-impact-workers/

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

This still never happened. Stop lying about people crowsbeak you motherfucking liar.

Both of you know it happened. I will not apologize for telling it as it is. The fact both of you celebrate so many American workers living in miserably is almost as bad to the fact you're both very happy to throw Minority males under the bus.

Ogmius815 posted:

But that doesn't matter to the Bernout crew, not really. They aren't arguing in good faith. They want "their guy" to win because their guy lost last year and they want their pound of flesh as bloody vengeance. Plus compromise and pragmatism don't get them that sweet, sweet moral indignation high, which is the only reason why they're into politics.

And if all this means tanking the party and letting the fascists win, great. When you win you have to do things, you don't just get to snipe anymore, which would take all the fun out of this.
Which Abuela didn't do.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Would you actually do it though?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Did you accidentally sarcastically make the good point that big unions haven't had workers' best interest at heart for a decent while? Keep following that logic, you're almost there!

Hell yes, destroy the loving unions, especially the least white ones.

I bet you've never even interacted with a union worker, Hillarybaby.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

The fact both of you celebrate so many American workers living in miserably is almost as bad to the fact you're both very happy to throw Minority males under the bus.

Citation needed you motherfucking liar.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Entrenching really lovely intellectual property laws and establishing establishing those terrible Invest State Dispute Settlement provisions were far greater sins of the TPP than any impact on jobs.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Like it says something that at this point I genuinely hope that Keith Ellison does win just so you goddamn babies will shut the gently caress up and get back to the work of saving this country from fascism. You know why I won't care that much? Because Tom Perez and Keith Ellison's platforms are pretty much the same loving thing god drat it. But Parez is going to win and all I'm doing is begging you, pleading, please don't blow up the only real opposition to Trumpism because the most liberal DNC chair ever got elected just because you'd have preferred a different highly liberal DNC chair. Please.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Hell yes, destroy the loving unions, especially the least white ones.

I bet you've never even interacted with a union worker, Hillarybaby.

Did you read that story about the union members who expressed dissatisfaction with the way their leaders handled politics and ended up defecting to Trump of all people?

Obviously only a specific subset of (white) union members would be doing that but it certainly does not bode well for how the structure is performing as a whole.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when traitorous neoliberalism deluded people into thinking NAFTA was imperial extraction from the Mexican economy, but I'm glad we all agree that the USA is in fact the victim of imperialism from international predators like Vietnam and Malaysia, itching to steal our jobs and have sex with us to pollute our bodies.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Crowbeak what makes you think you can get away with this shameless libel and slander?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
"workers being angry at being thrown to the wolves of global neoliberal policy is racism's fault"

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Fiction posted:

Did you accidentally sarcastically make the good point that big unions haven't had workers' best interest at heart for a decent while? Keep following that logic, you're almost there!

Service Employees International Union. Service employees don't benefit at all from more manufacturing jobs or better wages in manufacturing jobs, and so are unambiguously harmed by higher prices that inevitably result from protectionism. Most workers, and most unionized workers, don't work in manufacturing. Stop making GBS threads on unions because you don't understand economics.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Did you read that story about the union members who expressed dissatisfaction with the way their leaders handled politics and ended up defecting to Trump of all people?

Obviously only a specific subset of (white) union members would be doing that but it certainly does not bode well for how the structure is performing as a whole.

God drat the United Steel Workers for not brainwashing their members and/or catering to racists.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Which Abuela didn't do.

Oh man now I'm beat. I'm totally seeing with new eyes now. For sure.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Citation needed you motherfucking liar.

Yeah you know what I am talking about you defending Jefferson after he blamed lowerclass black and hispanic males for Abuelas lost. On the trade front. I don't see you condemning Jefferson Clay's positions in the economic crises thread.

Also I see that Jefferson now is asserting again that all of us Bernie supporters who voted HRC in the election are traitors. So once again you both lie through your teeth. Which is fitting for centrists.

Ogmius815 posted:

Oh man now I'm beat. I'm totally seeing with new eyes now. For sure.

Hey its true. She spent all her time at fundraisers rather then doing the hard part. You know actually going to cities and towns and hanging out with the locals. Now Sanders, Webb, and even that snake Carcetti did that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fiction posted:

"workers being angry at being thrown to the wolves of global neoliberal policy is racism's fault"

No, but a lot of white workers do blame their problems on the poor of foreign countries instead of the rich of this country. We have to fix that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

Entrenching really lovely intellectual property laws and establishing establishing those terrible Invest State Dispute Settlement provisions were far greater sins of the TPP than any impact on jobs.

Sure but like defending Malaysian workers isn't really a "protect American workers" program

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

God drat the United Steel Workers for not brainwashing their members and/or catering to racists.

no, god drat their elected leaders for colluding with capitalist interests in the democratic party to make their members' lives worse.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

Because Dayton might not run again? He has prostate cancer.

Fair enough, but from the way he talked about replacing Dayton with Ellison as if it represented some major change, I thought he was saying Dayton was an establishment centrist.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean in principle, you can't trust any of the ruling class with anything. Politics is about strategy and alliances of convenience, not trust or ideological purity. That may not be how should be, but it is how it is.

I think that good trade deals is the best way for us to crack down on poo poo labor and environmental standards abroad. The problem is turning deals like TPP into that instead of geopolitical chess pieces and corporate hand outs.

You've got it backwards. In a good political system, trust wouldn't be necessary because the elites couldn't just abuse the system to their advantage. Unfortunately, the US' is breaking down to the point where we have a fascist everyone hates in power, and he's ignoring multiple important laws and not really being punished. In such a situation, trust is important again.

I agree we could have nafta like free trade deals, but the problem is the elites would rather play geopolitical chess than pass good policy. They are passing policy that helps them and their friends at the expense of everyone else.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

no, god drat their elected leaders for colluding with capitalist interests in the democratic party to make their members' lives worse.

So unions which didn't endorse Barnie Samblers must die for colluding with capitalism. Uh huh.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

You've got it backwards. In a good political system, trust wouldn't be necessary because the elites couldn't just abuse the system to their advantage. Unfortunately, the US' is breaking down to the point where we have a fascist everyone hates in power, and he's ignoring multiple important laws and not really being punished. In such a situation, trust is important again.

I agree we could have nafta like free trade deals, but the problem is the elites would rather play geopolitical chess than pass good policy. They are passing policy that helps them and their friends at the expense of everyone else.

Well, yeah. This is late stage capitalism. Marx was right, his timeline was just off.

The problem is how we survive the transition. Between global warming and the resurgence of fascism in the face of disorganized leftist and liberal opposition, I am not optimistic.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

So unions which didn't endorse Barnie Samblers must die for colluding with capitalism. Uh huh.

nope, just the union leaders who sell out their constituents. has nothing to do with bernie and everything to do with the democrats' embrace of free-market global economics and the long term effect of them abandoning organized labor in the first place as a reaction to the Southern Strategy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

Fair enough, but from the way he talked about replacing Dayton with Ellison as if it represented some major change, I thought he was saying Dayton was an establishment centrist.

No I was saying keep any of the more centrist Dems in the legislator from being on the ticket with someone who would continue and expand on Dayton's generally good legacy. All I said is I would work for him in running for governor. If I had meant primary Dayton I would have said primary Dayton. I wouldn't primary the guy who looks like my highschool chemistry teacher, and I had a nice conversation with when I interned at the capital ever.

Lightning Knight posted:

Well, yeah. This is late stage capitalism. Marx was right, his timeline was just off.

The problem is how we survive the transition. Between global warming and the resurgence of fascism in the face of disorganized leftist and liberal opposition, I am not optimistic.

We can, but that means we have to organize now. Also might be a good time to invest in self defense.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 15, 2017

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Sure but like defending Malaysian workers isn't really a "protect American workers" program

I'm not really clear on what you're trying to say here but not wanting to cede political power to ISDS tribunals seems like a rational and intelligent position for labour unions.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

nope, just the union leaders who sell out their constituents. has nothing to do with bernie and everything to do with the democrats' embrace of free-market global economics and the long term effect of them abandoning organized labor in the first place as a reaction to the Southern Strategy.

Organized (white) labor abandoned the Democrats dogg.

Every union bar the IWW has colluded with capitalism, and I can't actually think of any that has endorsed trade deals, so this is just a nonsequitur to build a basis for later witch hunts against unions that "betrayed" the Bernie-Ellison Complex.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the SEIU was heavily involved with the March for 15 so its kind of weird to accuse them of being collaborators just because they endorsed a different candidate

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

tsa posted:

Well this is just laughable nonsense, did you work for the Hilary data team lmbo

you can, you know, give some evidence to refute me if u want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The UWUA had plenty of documentation about TPP up at the nuke plant, but they didn't endorse Comrade La Riva so they must be destroyed.

• Locked thread