Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Kilravock posted:

It was the same with Distant Worlds when they included it as a starting tech level. The first few years were slow as your ships slow boat around your home system, which lead to potential economic issues with it taking forever to build mines and transport the resources back. Then you research the warp bubble which was poo poo and limited you to your home system, but it would cause an explosion of economic activity. Then you unlock the first real warp drive and the neighboring stars are then in range which launches your exploration, mining and colonization expansion. It was a fun process to see how your focus and view expands and seeing how much FTL is a game changer.

It was also fun to be an empire or a pirate and encounter a pre-warp or pre-colonization capable empire. As an empire I would either play with them like a cat by either helping them or curb stomp them. As a pirate, I would cap their system and destroy everything they have, and just milk them for money by maintaining an influence over their homeworld, like it was another crime world under my influence.

Triggered. Now I'm reinstalling DW.

Now I'll have to decide which super-fun space strategy game I want to play, so thanks for that, jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How does wormhole travel play? I played my first game with warp, felt a bit unfocused so I made a new map with hyperlanes only, which is a blast, and I'm curious as to how wormholes work. Is it like a hyperlane network you build for yourself?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GotLag posted:

How does wormhole travel play? I played my first game with warp, felt a bit unfocused so I made a new map with hyperlanes only, which is a blast, and I'm curious as to how wormholes work. Is it like a hyperlane network you build for yourself?

You have to build a station in a system which will create a ring around it much like how your border works. You can jump directly to any other system in that ring. You can also build wormhole stations outside of your borders.

They're useful because you can skip over systems but exploring is real slow as you have to send your builders out to keep up with your network. And at 75 minerals a pop they aren't cheap early on.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

You have to build wormhole stations with constructor vessels, which have a fixed radius (upgradeable with technology?). The stations are 2-way, so your ships can jump to or from them. They can be built in your space or unclaimed space, and you can negotiate wormhole access with other empires.

Fleets will automatically plot out routes with multiple jumps, and jump time depends on fleet size.

I really like playing with them, but not for any practical reason.

e: Wasn't there a 4x where there was a race that only had gate technology, and you had to slowboat gates out to be on the receiving end? SotS?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Wormhole travel is great if you can get minerals early before the other empires grab a ton of space. It makes the early game pirates really frustrating to eliminate, though, since they just pop up in your systems outta goddamn nowhere and you have to find their base by examining all the systems within range.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zore posted:

You can jump directly to any other system in that ring.

...from a system with a wormhole station in it. Otherwise you have to jump twice - first back to a system with a wormhole station in it and then second to your destination in the ring.

It's kind of annoying particularly in light of the fact that stations have maintenance costs and you will want to put at least some backup stations in empty systems to minimize the chance that they get destroyed in a war.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Probably not going to play like this often, but it's a cool concept. Pity the Stellaris engine doesn't seem to be able to handle super-long travel times robustly, because the wind up / wind down hack the modder uses makes me afraid I'm going to mis-click and end up wasting most of a multi-year windup .

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Since the game came out I've never bothered with alliances or federations, they are confusing, restricting, and incredibly not fun for me. Alliances in other paradox games seem to work and have fairly clear and intuitive rules, but something about diplomacy in stellaris leaves me always being extremely isolationist or total war all the time. Most of the game is spent waiting for peace treaty cool-downs, alliances just add pointless wars that don't help you, or idiot allies that constantly vote no to your wars.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the good news is that wormhole stations cost almost nothing to maintain (0.25 energy/mo) and a wormhole modulator on a ship does not use energy, which is a big deal in the early game when that's the difference between another weapon or shield module in a destroyer. the biggest thing you give up when you play wormholes is early game scouting, which, in my experience, is vastly overrated anyway. there is not a huge amount of value scouting out further than your potential borders given your next colonization wave, and if you are playing a warmonger it is actively a bad thing to go out too hard because you ideally want to destroy or neuter your nearest neighbor before the galactic neighborhood lights up.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Coolguye posted:

the good news is that wormhole stations cost almost nothing to maintain (0.25 energy/mo) and a wormhole modulator on a ship does not use energy, which is a big deal in the early game when that's the difference between another weapon or shield module in a destroyer. the biggest thing you give up when you play wormholes is early game scouting, which, in my experience, is vastly overrated anyway. there is not a huge amount of value scouting out further than your potential borders given your next colonization wave, and if you are playing a warmonger it is actively a bad thing to go out too hard because you ideally want to destroy or neuter your nearest neighbor before the galactic neighborhood lights up.

Not being able to exchange minerals<>energy in the midgame because you didn't scout some merchant guys is a big deal. It's very easy to pump energy income to insane levels and just convert it to minerals as needed to fuel a war machine at a much higher rate than someone without access to minerals<>energy.

Also you can find all of the worlds you want and where the unclean primitives you are going to conquer live.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Not being able to exchange minerals<>energy in the midgame because you didn't scout some merchant guys is a big deal. It's very easy to pump energy income to insane levels and just convert it to minerals as needed to fuel a war machine at a much higher rate than someone without access to minerals<>energy.

Also you can find all of the worlds you want and where the unclean primitives you are going to conquer live.

In the midgame you can easily scout the entire map with a wormhole empire. You just can't queue up an exploration of the entire map the instant the game starts.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

by the time the galactic neighborhood lights up and you have entered the mid game it's not difficult to start mounting proper expeditions using leapfrogging wormhole stations - and the price tag for the stations is much less painful at that point, too. wormhole powers do not lose out much on reach after they start hitting 40-50 minerals per month, and they DEFINITELY lose nothing on reach after they research their first FTL tech. it will definitely hurt if the conclave you want is clear on the other side of the galaxy, but that was gonna be a problem for warp and hyperlane powers too.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I guess people like you enough to accept the wormhole treaties. By midgame I am a galactic pariah.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Muffinlord posted:

It makes the early game pirates really frustrating to eliminate, though, since they just pop up in your systems outta goddamn nowhere and you have to find their base by examining all the systems within range.

I've never seen this to be a problem. Pirates will spawn with your same FTL tech, and because they are only ever operating from 1 wormhole station, it's pretty trivial to figure out where they came from by looking at where they entered your system.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you don't need wormhole treaties. build around people. you can drop wormhole stations in unclaimed territory and they function just fine.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Coolguye posted:

the biggest thing you give up when you play wormholes is early game scouting

The biggest thing you give up when you play wormholes is not having the additional micro of building stations.

I don't know about you, but the last thing I want added to exploration is more micro.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Confession: the first time I played stellaris I set it to hyperlane only and I've never played another way. I've literally never even seen let alone used wormhole or warp in-game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

Confession: the first time I played stellaris I set it to hyperlane only and I've never played another way. I've literally never even seen let alone used wormhole or warp in-game.

I like to pretend that this is the default setting because wars are kind of bad otherwise.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hyperlane-only is my go to as well. Makes strategic planning of choke points and "bridges" possible and increases the tactical depth of a game that needs it significantly. I wish borders made more sense in a hyperlane-only galaxy though.

Mailbox Roleplay
Jul 16, 2006

The Bramble posted:

Hyperlane-only is my go to as well. Makes strategic planning of choke points and "bridges" possible and increases the tactical depth of a game that needs it significantly. I wish borders made more sense in a hyperlane-only galaxy though.

It would be nice if borders followed the lanes in an empire that has hyperspace FTL. Maybe weight the border expansion algorithm along those lines?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Bramble posted:

Yeah, I get triggered big time when some system 12 jumps away encroaches on my territory because their lovely isolated chunk of the galaxy is geographically close to mine. Hyperlane borders should travel through the lanes rather than "as the crow flies (warps?)"

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Don't have the game installed right now, so can't check myself. But is it possible to create a game where there are no AI empires? I'd like to play a game of just human expansion throughout a galaxy devoid of other intelligent races. Sorta a Battlestar Galactica kind of thing. I know there will still be the space-faring whale things and I assume story events that involve artifacts and such from dead intelligent species, but I'd want to play as humans who are completely alone in the universe.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Esroc posted:

Don't have the game installed right now, so can't check myself. But is it possible to create a game where there are no AI empires? I'd like to play a game of just human expansion throughout a galaxy devoid of other intelligent races. Sorta a Battlestar Galactica kind of thing. I know there will still be the space-faring whale things and I assume story events that involve artifacts and such from dead intelligent species, but I'd want to play as humans who are completely alone in the universe.
You can set AI empires to zero, but I don't think that there's a way to disable pre-season species and the like, although I may be wrong.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

"as the crow flies (warps?)"

As the Tiyanki warps.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Esroc posted:

There's a mod for that:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=714560446

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Esroc posted:

You'd have to use mods. Pretty sure there's a couple like this on the workshop.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Does this ever go on sale?

It's on sale now.
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/valent...36679-146909869

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tried to play last night. Got to the race creation screen, realized I don't have the 1.5 ethos system, quit the game :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

#freemushrooms

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Tried to play last night. Got to the race creation screen, realized I don't have the 1.5 ethos system, quit the game :(

A boycott over ethics in video games, you say.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wiz posted:

A boycott over ethics in video games, you say.

I log in an am triggered as soon as the word collectivist appears on my screen.

It's all your fault. If you hadn't previewed all of these things that look really good then we would be more willing to play what we already have.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I can understand disabling wormholes because it's pretty annoying to have dudes just sorta land in your backfield but disabling warp seems like overkill. Chokepoints are fun, but having to respond to all of the borders of your empire is fun too

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Mod appears to be outdated, but a comment at the bottom by the author explains how he did it by disabling two parameters in data files. That I can easily do myself now that I know how.

EDIT: Welp, nevermind. I can disable AI Empires entirely but no matter what I try I can't disable pre-FTL races and Enclaves. Even changing their parameters to zero in data files changes nothing and they still pop up all over the place. So there appears to be no easy way to play a human only game.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 15, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ABen posted:

Triggered. Now I'm reinstalling DW.

Now I'll have to decide which super-fun space strategy game I want to play, so thanks for that, jerk.

Be sure to pick up the super mod that includes all the blocked off scenario only techs and features.

Being able to conquer the galaxy by introducing a deadly virus that many empires can't research the vaccine too due to neglecting their medical research all game or breeding a horde of terrifying planet eating space worms is definitely on the more unique end of victory conditions.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 15, 2017

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Esroc posted:

a game where there are no AI empires?
Sorta a Battlestar Galactica kind of thing.

More of a Foundation universe kind of thing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Wiz - why do stone age primitives (and other pre-industrial civs, come to think of it) live in modern sky scrapers?

Do you not realize how immersion breaking this is in my game about physics defying space travel and sentient birds?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think the question is, why is the sky so low on stone age planets

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
As much as I can't wait for Utopia, I have to give kudos to Paradox for being able to adapt their production and sales model to the needs of the game.

Other PDS games work on medium-sized DLC that adds a few new features and some content, which works very well to keep EU4 and CK2 fresh. Stellaris launched feeling pretty barren, so it was a really good choice to not pursue that line and instead release a mammoth expansion pack that adds many huge features and overhauls entire swathes of the game, which is something the studio normally never does. The usual model couldn't address all the issues and the devs seem to have understood that well. I'm pretty confident that, barring game-ruining bugs on launch, Utopia will Make Space Great Again.

I wonder if after it's released we'll see a return to the CK2 model of moderately-sized DLC's that flesh out various areas.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm fine paying for the game over and over again until they get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitScreenGamer
Feb 16, 2017

Bringing back the fun of local multiplayer gaming!
I've been thinking of getting Stellaris if only for the Star Trek mod. What do people who've played it think?

• Locked thread