Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yes, if only there were some way in a web browser to only run trusted JavaScript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

Yes, if only there were some way in a web browser to only run trusted JavaScript.

yeah you just gotta install my special Secure Browser (tm) with Security Enhanced Trusted Javascript and Automatic Virus Reductions

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah you just gotta install my special Secure Browser (tm) with Security Enhanced Trusted Javascript and Automatic Virus Reductions

IBM Trusteer ?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Just use lynx, op

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
In good transparency news:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/canada/canada+will+soon+force+companies+disclose+hacking/12922450/story.html

quote:

The federal government is in the final stages of enacting legislation that will require all businesses in Canada to report any cyber security breach as soon as they become aware of it. It's a step meant to close what critics say has been a major gap in this country's protection of personal and financial data.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

quote:

The federal government is in the final stages of enacting legislation that will require all businesses
:unsmith:

quote:

in Canada
:smith:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

good, the aftermath of the tjmaxx and home depot breaches were kinda bullshit

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Now you'll just get your free year of credit monitoring sooner.

:shrug:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Volmarias posted:

Now you'll just get your free year of credit monitoring sooner.

:shrug:

you can also cancel cards/freeze credit and whatever else you need to do sooner if you're affected

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doom Mathematic posted:

the problem is theres no solution. theres no mechanism for trusted javascript so you have to run all javascript, and remain at risk, or run no javascript, and not use the web.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

aware that there might have been a breach or gone through the 2 year process to identify that yes it was a breach?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

the problem is theres no solution. theres no mechanism for trusted javascript so you have to run all javascript, and remain at risk, or run no javascript, and not use the web.

is there not a noscript for IE

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

don't encourage him

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i've never heard of wickr before but they just went open sores https://github.com/WickrInc/wickr-crypto-c

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

disabling javascript or whitelisting urls isn't the same thing as trust

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho it is funny to see self proclaimed "security experts" poo-pooing the idea of code signing and promoting arbitrary javascript execution which is the single greatest security hazard for most users.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
new proposed law in italy will regulate forensically sound "implants" (ie. trojan horses) for lawful client-side "wiretapping":

https://boingboing.net/2017/02/15/title-italy-unveils-a-law-pro.html

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Shaggar posted:

disabling javascript or whitelisting urls isn't the same thing as trust

how is this distinction significant, in terms of implementation and appearance to end users? how would code signing in the absence of both whitelisting and js-disabling bring any benefit to the user, beyond the ability to know if the JS files have been tampered with server-side?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Code signing and whitelisting of signers or specific files is more granular than url based trust and is more flexible since its transport/url independent. tamper proofing becomes critical if you're talking about transport independence and its a good idea anyways since who knows whats in between the client and the server. code signing provides protection against things like AV that sticks the same root cert into the trust store of every installed computer or china mitm your traffic while you're visiting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

anthonypants posted:

i've never heard of wickr before but they just went open sores https://github.com/WickrInc/wickr-crypto-c

they're yet another secure messaging thing that does who knows what with your data

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Shaggar posted:

Code signing and whitelisting of signers or specific files is more granular than url based trust and is more flexible since its transport/url independent. tamper proofing becomes critical if you're talking about transport independence and its a good idea anyways since who knows whats in between the client and the server. code signing provides protection against things like AV that sticks the same root cert into the trust store of every installed computer or china mitm your traffic while you're visiting.

i mean i guess if you've solved the halting problem

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yes, code signing based on chaining to roots defends against AV software installing roots. riotous applause.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
my wife's hr department got phished and sent the entire company's W2s to someone. tonight I went through the rigamarole of putting freezes on our credit repots.

Experian: pretty nice and straightforward
Equifax: didn't verify my identify beyond name, address, and SSN. also didn't give me a receipt for what I had to pay, but overall not horrible.
TransUnion: requires you to create an account. I had to recover my account I set up like 10 years ago to buy a credit report. when I went to pay for the freeze, they defaulted the credit card number and expiration to the card number I used 10 years ago. like, not the last 4 digits. the full card number. :laffo:

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 16, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

yes, code signing based on chaining to roots defends against AV software installing roots. riotous applause.

I'm talking about whitelists for signers and specific files, not chaining back to roots which would be pointless for code signing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

I'm talking about whitelists for signers and specific files, not chaining back to roots which would be pointless for code signing.

is that not how code signing works on Windows?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Shaggar posted:

so every site is going to have one+ unique code signing cert? hang on, get the chrome team on the phone, i'm sure they'll start on this first thing tomorrow :laffo:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so every site is going to have one+ unique code signing cert? hang on, get the chrome team on the phone, i'm sure they'll start on this first thing tomorrow :laffo:

every site has a unique TLS cert, today

signed scripts used to exist in Netscape and IE; I presume Shaggar is familiar with the drawbacks of those approaches

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

signed scrips will still contain eval( $unsafe_variable )

the real solution is to make a sandbox that works, which probably require new cpus seeing how leaky mmu's are

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

every site has a unique TLS cert, today

signed scripts used to exist in Netscape and IE; I presume Shaggar is familiar with the drawbacks of those approaches

nah but shaggz is talking about ones that don't chain to an authority. so the browser would then need zillions of certs for it to be useful, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lutha Mahtin posted:

nah but shaggz is talking about ones that don't chain to an authority. so the browser would then need zillions of certs for it to be useful, right?

no amount of certs could make that useful

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Applebees posted:

Has anyone heard of IBM Security Trusteer Rapport? Multiple Canadian banks are recommending it. They must have some sort of deal.

A couple of years ago I saw Banks For Rich People/Rich People Divisions Of Banks offer to give people like $20/mo for people to install it on their computers and it just hosed EVERYTHING up on OS X.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Carter posted:

A couple of years ago I saw Banks For Rich People/Rich People Divisions Of Banks offer to give people like $20/mo for people to install it on their computers and it just hosed EVERYTHING up on OS X.

first republic offered/nagged-about this at some point to me. if memory serves, it was a one-time thing for them and i got the :20bux: for just clicking the download button to see if it would make them leave me alone.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ultramiraculous posted:

first republic offered/nagged-about this at some point to me. if memory serves, it was a one-time thing for them and i got the :20bux: for just clicking the download button to see if it would make them leave me alone.

did you check to see if clicking the button again gave you another :20bux: because lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also iirc the only thing i was ever able to get by installing shady bank software was one of my banks "offered" me the "feature" of not having to use my password to log in if it was installed (I think it was the same IBM thing but i don't remember)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

caught a trojan in librecad sourceforge installation

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

caught a trojan in librecad sourceforge installation

what is the hash

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crime on a Dime posted:

what is the hash
gone already, thanks shaggar defender

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

gone already, thanks shaggar defender

more like daggar :shepspends:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
incoming cache virtualization extensions I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

did you check to see if clicking the button again gave you another :20bux: because lol

• Locked thread