Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

i'd prefer that option too. too bad establishment dems are going to stonewall any attempt at change

i live abroad now, but yeah my home state is oklahoma. i've thought about maybe moving home and trying to run for office, but i'd like to at least get my PhD first. party office isn't as much as a problem cause the current chair of the ok dems is receptive to the sanders wing and is voting for ellison.

The farther Western states that are sparsely populated and mostly white are basically perfect for Sanders style Dems to wrest control away from entrenched Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

The farther Western states that are sparsely populated and mostly white are basically perfect for Sanders style Dems to wrest control away from entrenched Republicans.

i maintain forever that Los Angeles is a natural jumping-off point for Sanderistas, if theyd only be bothered to actually campaign here

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm hoping Keith loses so I can continue to feel smugly superior when I vote for him every other year

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

paranoid randroid posted:

i maintain forever that Los Angeles is a natural jumping-off point for Sanderistas, if theyd only be bothered to actually campaign here

probably too expensive to get residence there

Lightning Knight posted:

oklahoma's tough cause the dem party is drat near skeletal at this point and the dnc doesn't give a poo poo

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

. But hten you guys are too far up your own asses to actually admit that you're idols wrecked this country and we need to appeal to the working class.

And that's why Dems attempting to appeal to labor with the most respected labor secretary since FDRs as chairman is totally suicidal and shows their TRUE contempt for workers. Only Californian tech workers can ever understand that what these people truly need is wholly symbolic wins by the aforementioned tech workers.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Munkeymon posted:

I'm hoping Keith loses so I can continue to feel smugly superior when I vote for him every other year

I'd be really sad if I lived in Ellison's district. :smith:

quote:

oklahoma's tough cause the dem party is drat near skeletal at this point and the dnc doesn't give a poo poo

I mean, it's the story everywhere man. Gotta start somewhere.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

And that's why Dems attempting to appeal to labor with the most respected labor secretary since FDRs as chairman is totally suicidal and shows their TRUE contempt for workers. Only Californian tech workers can ever understand that what these people truly need is wholly symbolic wins by the aforementioned tech workers.

the guy might have good relationships with working people and have done good work for them but he has some bad ideas of how to help them imo (doing the bidding of the very people who made loving workers over an unspoken core part of the platform)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

if the differences between perez and ellison are entirely symbolic then certainly perez should go ahead and withdraw his candidacy, and biden shouldn't have bothered to endorse ellison. i mean, biden is already getting what he wants through ellison!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Its a good thing that Keith Ellison isn't a tech worker from Silicon Valley then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Perez should drop out and agree to become Ellison's vice chair.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

if the differences between perez and ellison are entirely symbolic then certainly perez should go ahead and withdraw his candidacy, and biden shouldn't have bothered to endorse ellison. i mean, biden is already getting what he wants through ellison!

I think there is a legitimate argument to be made that Perez being presently lacking in a position, versus Ellison as an established congressman, would imply that in terms of resource utilization it may be better to put Perez in and let Ellison do more work in Congress or run for higher office. On the flip side, Perez could run for office, however.

^ that would be good. Won't happen, but it would be cool.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Neither Perez or Ellision are going to change anything major. Ellison becoming chair doesn't result in the DNC stop taking money from big banks, it doesnt stop the DNC from clearing fields where it makes sense. It doesnt change primary rules.

Theyre both supported by a cross section of various party factions.

The two are defined by their opposition. Ellison is opposed by the party faction that just pissed away the biggest gimme election in history.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Ellison and Perez should commit ritual suicide for standing against the rightful heir, Peter Buttigieg

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ellison and Perez should commit ritual suicide for standing against the rightful heir, Peter Buttigieg

Butts out for Buttigieg. :gay: :getin:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I think there is a legitimate argument to be made that Perez being presently lacking in a position, versus Ellison as an established congressman, would imply that in terms of resource utilization it may be better to put Perez in and let Ellison do more work in Congress or run for higher office. On the flip side, Perez could run for office, however.

^ that would be good. Won't happen, but it would be cool.

imo perez should run for office before he should be DNC chair. he has near no experience with campaigns

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hey Tom and Keith... why dont you "butt out?" haha just a little ButtigiegBro humor for ya there

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i wouldn't mind buttigieg, he's done some real good recently, but he's got less of a chance than ellison sadly.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

imo perez should run for office before he should be DNC chair. he has near no experience with campaigns

The previously stated thing was that he should run for Governor of Maryland. I think that DNC chair Ellison and Governor Perez would be the ideal solution to placate all parties involved.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Condiv posted:

i wouldn't mind buttigieg, he's done some real good recently, but he's got less of a chance than ellison sadly.

honestly i know less about the guy than i do about that South Carolina dude who is basically hopeless and terrible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

The previously stated thing was that he should run for Governor of Maryland. I think that DNC chair Ellison and Governor Perez would be the ideal solution to placate all parties involved.

i wouldn't mind that

honestly i know less about the guy than i do about that South Carolina dude who is basically hopeless and terrible.

he wrote a really good essay on bernie back in 2000, and he's been protesting with protesters

what i've seen of him is much better than what I've seen of perez. ellison's the most established of all of them though

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

Cute. No, see, being better at coordinating a large organisation is the big difference. It's essentially pragmatism vs. Symbolism

Crowsbeak posted:

Its a good thing that Keith Ellison isn't a tech worker from Silicon Valley then.

As we can tell by the fact that he and Perez want the same thing and Ellisson isn't throwing a hissy fit and leaving the party if Perez wins.

Alter Ego posted:

The two are defined by their opposition. Ellison is opposed by the party faction that just pissed away the biggest gimme election in history.

You mean the SEIU? And Perez is opposed by Hillary's biggest defender, so if we're playing that game...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
While Perez was a good Secretary of Labor, I don't think you can reasonably argue he's better at fundraising organization or campaign strategy than Ellison with no prior experience.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

Cute. No, see, being better at coordinating a large organisation is the big difference. It's essentially pragmatism vs. Symbolism

where's the evidence of perez being better suited to this than ellison? DOL is a very different organization than the DNC, and so far in the race perez hasn't showed an ounce of the leadership of ellison

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Condiv posted:

he wrote a really good essay on bernie back in 2000, and he's been protesting with protesters

what i've seen of him is much better than what I've seen of perez. ellison's the most established of all of them though

thats pretty dope

and yeah the biggest knock against Perez is that hes a dull functionary who doesnt really seem cut out for the cheerleader aspect of being DNC chair.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Picking Perez would be a sign of rejecting the conspiracy theorist effort to take over the Democratic Party by stomping their feet and threatening to not vote if they're ever denied anything. That would be a fairly lovely reason to pick someone for an apparatchik bureaucrat position, but so is picking Ellison as some absurd effort to unperson Obama.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Picking Perez would be a sign of rejecting the conspiracy theorist effort to take over the Democratic Party by stomping their feet and threatening to not vote if they're ever denied anything. That would be a fairly lovely reason to pick someone for an apparatchik bureaucrat position, but so is picking Ellison as some absurd effort to unperson Obama.

Achieve Balance - Vote Buttigieg

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

thats pretty dope

and yeah the biggest knock against Perez is that hes a dull functionary who doesnt really seem cut out for the cheerleader aspect of being DNC chair.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/Education/Profile-in-Courage-Essay-Contest/~/media/32A849B1D0E6446B9BCAFCCDF90B2BB8.pdf

i'm assuming you haven't read it yet, but this is buttigieg's essay on bernie. it's pretty inspirational imo

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

This doesn't have anything to do with the DNC, but he ran the local half-marathon last year and finished in 1:48 https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/32607/IndividualResult/NNTd#U14013461

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm well aware of the history of unions, the gilded age, and turn of the century politics

but this is a good post that brings up some good points. in many ways, you're right about having to rebuild the institutions from the ground up without counting on help from above.

but i think its just much more easier said than done. we are a long way away from the conditions that enabled the labor movement to gain any ground in the first place. not only have the pro-labor institutions been eroded, but there are also numerous institutions designed specifically to combat political movements from the left.

however, hard is not impossible, nor does it mean we shouldn't try. i just think that it will require more than "just organize, dude." its a pretty interesting topic, really.

so thank you for a smart response, and i agree that organization is key. there are many new, challenging impediments to organization today and it is important to understand the landscape before rushing in with suggestions about how we should all return to the times when workers were being murdered by pinkertons, hundreds of thousands would participate in strikes, and the jungle was opening everyone's eyes to the horrors of industrialization.

Oh, I agree. It's a difficult fight with no guarantee of success. But it's been won before under far worse circumstances, so the decay of the institutions built by those victories isn't a good excuse for not trying. If people were honestly trying to rebuild the institutions and organize a lasting progressive movement, "but it's hard, the system is against us" would be fine. But aside from some outliers, like BLM, that's not really happening and all that leftist rage isn't being channeled into useful pursuits. I'm sick of watching leftists get so mad that they take to the streets en masse and march for change...and then when they're done marching and go home, they're totally done and essentially disappear, leaving behind nothing but plenty of war stories about how they totally Occupied their local public space and they held signs and everything and it was just such a great victory for the people. It's happened over and over and over again, and I'm absolutely sick of self-proclaimed progressives who think civic engagement just means marching around with a sign for a few days and then writing a totally sick burn on the establishment in their "Write-In Candidate" box on the ballot three years later.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

As we can tell by the fact that he and Perez want the same thing and Ellisson isn't throwing a hissy fit and leaving the party if Perez wins.

I actually said I would work to push the DFL to the left and ensure Ellison not some nobody from the legislator can build on the legacy of Mark Dayton. I like how you centrists claim I lie.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
How about Perez and Ellison both be DNC chairs so dipshit political naifs stop getting mad for no good goddamned reason and direct their anger towards the fash.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Kristov posted:

How about Perez and Ellison both be DNC chairs so dipshit political naifs stop getting mad for no good goddamned reason and direct their anger towards the fash.

Eastern and Western DNC chairs

worked great for Rome

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah you know what I am talking about you defending Jefferson after he blamed lowerclass black and hispanic males for Abuelas lost. On the trade front. I don't see you condemning Jefferson Clay's positions in the economic crises thread.

Also I see that Jefferson now is asserting again that all of us Bernie supporters who voted HRC in the election are traitors. So once again you both lie through your teeth. Which is fitting for centrists.

Whatever JC does has nothing to do with me except to the extent that you are making up lies and whatever he does in other threads I don't care about. You are a lying mother fucker you lying mother fucker. I helpfully bolded the parts that are lies.

Brainiac Five posted:

It's almost like people in this thread are using this decision as a proxy for all sorts of insane nonsense instead of what is actually is.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kristov posted:

you're suggesting there be two dnc chairs while calling other people political naifs?

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Eastern and Western DNC chairs

worked great for Rome

I mean, it allowed the Roman Empire machine to last all the way up to the end of WW1.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Condiv posted:

you're suggesting there be two dnc chairs while calling other people political naifs?

Yes. They can each work 3-4 days a week and trade off every other weekend. Disputes will be settled by kickball games.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Tom Perez appeared on a Washington Post podcast.

In particular, he talks about the failings of Clinton's campaign.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cease to Hope posted:

Tom Perez appeared on a Washington Post podcast.

In particular, he talks about the failings of Clinton's campaign.

i'm not listening to a capehart podcast or reading a capehart article. i try not to consume fake news

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Whatever JC does has nothing to do with me except to the extent that you are making up lies and whatever he does in other threads I don't care about. You are a lying mother fucker you lying mother fucker. I helpfully bolded the parts that are lies.

It's almost like people in this thread are using this decision as a proxy for all sorts of insane nonsense instead of what is actually is.

Not aloe at all. It's to bad you can pretend that wasn't racist. But that is neoliberalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

“The first dimension of culture change … is we have to redefine our mission. It’s not simply the election of the president. It is the election of candidates from the school board to the Senate,” Perez said in the latest episode of “Cape Up.” He said that the best way to accomplish this is to make sure the endeavor is “a 12-month enterprise, not just a three-month enterprise before the election.”

President Trump’s successful campaign against Hillary Clinton and its message to voters also inform Perez’s thinking. “What voters heard was ‘he’s feeling my pain, he’s feeling my anxiety,’ ” said the strong campaign surrogate for Clinton. “And what they heard all too frequently from the Clinton campaign was, ‘Vote for me because he’s crazy.’ I will stipulate to the accuracy of that statement, but that’s not an affirmative message.”

• Locked thread