Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lmao, I route 350+ orders in real time a day while I argue with an IT guy

there are programs that do your job automatically already and they've been paying dispatchers 7.50 an hour to do it ever since the last minimum wage increase :ssh:

I'm sure you have something smug to add about how you're a "production" department and don't care what some "cost center" thinks

we laugh every time your department gets downsized due to a hot new script btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Comrades, we are none of us wealthy. Why argue over whose table scraps are better?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Poetic Justice posted:

No matter how much I may or may not dislike Trump, without knowing what information he was briefed with, I won't fault him for either not acting rashly and immediately and/or waiting until further verification.

And it wasn't months ago, it was 24 days ago when it came out that Flynn had discussed sanctions with the Russian ambassador.

yet he was totally fine sacking him within 24 hours of the news getting out lol

your argument is a joke

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mirthless posted:

there are programs that do your job automatically already and they've been paying dispatchers 7.50 an hour to do it ever since the last minimum wage increase :ssh:

But did you try resetting? Power off the modem, and then wait 10 seconds.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

But did you try resetting? Power off the modem, and then wait 10 seconds.

i bet you call the helpdesk every time the cord on your monitor comes a little loose

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Comrades, we are none of us wealthy. Why argue over whose table scraps are better?

We can't bite the hand that feeds us so we might as well bite each other

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Our IT person is arrogant, and unpleasant to work with. I just google problems when they come up, because there's usually a video walk through

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

These current reactions regarding Russia reminds me of when Republicans flipped their lids when Obama wanted to open up diplomatic relations with Iran

You guys remember that, back in 20102009? "The United States wants the Islamic Republic of Iran to take its rightful place in the community of nations. You have that right—but it comes with real responsibilities"

Good times.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 15, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Personally I don't even like working inside, I like outside and doing manual labor, which I did for many many years. If they phase my job out I have no problem digging ditches or whatever. Driving a fork lift, moving boxes all day.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
lol if you dont survive by day trading stocks all day

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lmao, I route 350+ orders in real time a day while I argue with an IT guy

That doesn't really sound like middle management.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I thought a lot of IT jobs were getting taken over by cheap Indian/Asian IT workers?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

scrubs season six posted:

Well I manage employees and hire and fire people while not being the owner so I dunno

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Poetic Justice posted:

You guys remember that, back in 20102009? "The United States wants the Islamic Republic of Iran to take its rightful place in the community of nations. You have that right—but it comes with real responsibilities"

Good times.

are you talking to yourself lol

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Our IT person is arrogant, and unpleasant to work with. I just google problems when they come up, because there's usually a video walk through

A lot of IT workers have an aura of superiority because they know what a zip file is.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Mirthless posted:

I'm 32, didn't go to college

I work in the IT department in a position that actually occasionally gets up and does work that can't be accomplished with 19 y/o excel expert's macro collection

holy poo poo hahahahahahhaaaaaa

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Sound posted:

holy poo poo hahahahahahhaaaaaa

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Poetic Justice posted:

I thought a lot of IT jobs were getting taken over by cheap Indian/Asian IT workers?

That's phase 1 and then phase 2 will be they're all replaced by robots, so I have NO idea where this IT guy is coming from telling people their jobs are obsolete when his job is a ticking time bomb.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

XMNN posted:

lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I am a computer janitor and I am so much better than all of you

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I was about to call him a computer plumber but computer plumber = network admin

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

XMNN posted:

I think modern media with click bait headlines and 24x7 constant streaming of information has ruined peoples' long term memories and they forgot they used to mock people who they are acting in exactly the same way now.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Poetic Justice posted:

Support and testing. Certainly not the meat of the work.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

batteries! posted:

Support and testing. Certainly not the meat of the work.

Didn't some semi important coder guy get busted because he was working from home and instead of doing his job, he was paying some Asian coder to do it for him instead for super cheap? I'm likely mis-remembering because it was awhile ago, but that's funny either way.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The mechanic told me my engine had thrown a rod and it was shot, the car was basically totaled and I should get a new one, but this guy on the corner said he could fix the engine with snake oil and that I was handsome and smart. It was pretty expensive, but I can't wait to drive it again.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Poetic Justice posted:

I think modern media with click bait headlines and 24x7 constant streaming of information has ruined peoples' long term memories and they forgot they used to mock people who they are acting in exactly the same way now.

you fault people for accessing "lazy" sources of information in order to lazily equivocate and ignore uncomfortable facts

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I think too many people think the TV show 24 is a real life documentary.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

scrubs season six posted:

nah, that's totally middle management. most middle managers end up doing bullshit clerical work to fill their time. they could absolutely pay a guy minimum wage to do it, but they already pay this guy to hit approve a few times a day and reply to emails so he might as well add the dispatching to his list of responsibilities

Poetic Justice posted:

They are, and automation is replacing a lot of them too

I am not in one of those jobs, though

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mirthless posted:

nah, that's totally middle management. most middle managers end up doing bullshit clerical work to fill their time. they could absolutely pay a guy minimum wage to do it, but they already pay this guy to hit approve a few times a day and reply to emails so he might as well add the dispatching to his list of responsibilities

This isn't what I do at all, but you change keyboards for a living lol

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Poetic Justice posted:

I think too many people think the TV show 24 is a real life documentary.

lazily equivocate

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Thirsty Girl posted:

you fault people for accessing "lazy" sources of information in order to lazily equivocate and ignore uncomfortable facts

I think people should go to the actual source of information and not rely on pre-edited, censored, and spun information, personally.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

lil pissbitch posted:

There are allegations that the Russians helped Trump win the election. "By rigging the election" on the extreme side and "By subtle political persuasion" on the more moderate side. So if it turns out Trump and his aides were taking direction on how to win the election from Russia that would be, uh...*shuffles index cards around* well yep that would be ...'Treason'...

If you consider Hillary Clinton being a terrible candidate who lost because she completely ignored working class votes then yes the election was rigged. Teflon Don isn't going anywhere but keep wishing guys.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
everyone should keep posting about there jobs IMHO

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Poetic Justice posted:

Didn't some semi important coder guy get busted because he was working from home and instead of doing his job, he was paying some Asian coder to do it for him instead for super cheap? I'm likely mis-remembering because it was awhile ago, but that's funny either way.

This definitely happened but I can't remember what thread it was in. I want to say the "talk about your coworkers" thread

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Poetic Justice posted:

I think people should go to the actual source of information and not rely on pre-edited, censored, and spun information, personally.

thats a nice easy way to discount an entire swath of investigative journalism

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that Bernie had a great chance to beat Trump but the DNC hosed him over because it was "Clinton's turn". They've learned nothing and the Democratic party is going to lose a poo poo load of 2018 elections and Trump will be re-elected because of their stubbornness.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

b-minus1 posted:

everyone should keep posting about there jobs IMHO

my job title is scientist

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

This definitely happened but I can't remember what thread it was in. I want to say the "talk about your coworkers" thread

it's happened more than once and made national news. I want to say it happened at Yahoo in 2009 or 2010 and again at Verizon Enterprise Services in 2013. Very senior engineer in both cases getting paid 250k+ and they were outsourcing all of their work to teams in china

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Thirsty Girl posted:

thats a nice easy way to discount an entire swath of investigative journalism

Do you have a particular aspect of something that you are extremely knowledgeable about, more so than the general public? Like, lets take any of the sciences or even computer poo poo for example. Have you ever known any news source to reliably, intelligently, and consistently report on any science/computer information accurately without getting some important aspect of it wrong? The same thing applies to pretty much every category the news talks about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
We can only trust the tweets of dear leader. Only he knows truth. The news must be pushed aside. Heed the word of Trump.

• Locked thread