Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Minorkos posted:

not everyone, just the people who are decently good at the game. you do not need to include yourself in this hypothetical group if you don't want to.

You don't even own the game, can you go back to perfect mastering Street Fighter 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

It's a pretty uncontroversial statement. Fighting games are notorious for being toxic as hell, only possibly surpassed by MOBAs. Maybe.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Horseshit you did

Hurr durr guys I'm the bestest ever I can block every single attack. Whats that? You wanna see me do it? uhhhh here's some streamer I found leave me alone! :cry:

That's a video of two guys loving around in practice. Show me an actual duel between people trying to win who aren't friends. And do it yourself since you claim you can so easily.

But you're not going to because you loving can't. You're full of poo poo.

i don't own the game so sadly i cannot provide video evidence of this myself. i only played the game during the beta

feel free to gift me a copy on steam though so i can try recording it. i'll post findings in this thread afterwards

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

So much 100% false information in this thread. Jesus.

Running out of stamina really really matters, every one of your animations is massively slowed down until you fill it back up again.

How are you this retarded? Sorry people aren't in love with the same hero as you. There is nothing false about what I said.

Exhaustion really, really doesn't matter. No, being forced to be defensive for a period really doesn't have much of a downside. It's an extremely short period of time. You're correct that nobody can guard/parry perfectly 100% of the time, however unless you have literal poo poo for brains you can manage it the vast majority of the time. Stop getting worked up over people disagreeing with your demonstrably crappy opinion.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 15, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minorkos posted:

i don't own the game

Holy loving poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuONuafxwk

:frogout:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

i don't own the game

lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
For Honor: i dont actually own the game

panda clue
May 23, 2014
the genji avatar is nice little ribbon neatly tied around the troll

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i suppose the 3 days that that have passed since the beta may have distorted my understanding of the game, and it may be a completely different product now

or you know, maybe it's the exact same as it was 3 days ago and everything i say still applies because there were no real changes since then

i'll probably buy the game tomorrow because i do like swordfighting games even if they have design flaws

edit: fyi this avatar was bought for me

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

i suppose the 3 days that that have passed since the beta may have distorted my understanding of the game, and it may be a completely different product now

or you know, maybe it's the exact same as it was 3 days ago and everything i say still applies because there were no real changes since then

the guardbreak change is pretty loving substantial and actually crumbles your entire argument of 'you can turtle forever!'. you might know this if, you know, you actually played the release version of the game. or listened to people in the thread who have.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 15, 2017

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

the guardbreak change is pretty loving substantial and actually crumbles your entire argument of 'you can turtle forever!'. you might know this if, you know, you actually played the release version of the game.

yes, i read that they changed the timing to be later and you can't mash out of it anymore. i don't think it actually made it harder to get out of it, the timing is just different. perhap i will test it tomorrow and report on my findings, i assume i'm right about this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

So you hate the game and its mechanics, but plan on buying it anyway? Why? Just to spite the people disagreeing with you?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

yes, i read that they changed the timing to be later and you can't mash out of it anymore. i don't think it actually made it harder to get out of it, the timing is just different. perhap i will test it tomorrow and report on my findings, i assume i'm right about this

The timing isn't changed. If try to tech early, the tech will now fail. Previously, you could just start spamming the guardbreak button as soon as you saw one coming in and get it every single time. Now you actually have to time it correctly. It creates an opportunity for the player to fuckup/fail in their defense.

Minorkos posted:

i assume i'm right about this

i'm shocked

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

So you hate the game and its mechanics, but plan on buying it anyway? Why? Just to spite the people disagreeing with you?

hey man i really like samurai swords and ninjas

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

OctaMurk posted:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

FunkMonkey posted:

He can do what he wants with his money, but this is how this is going to go:

He's just going to come back and say "I WAS RIGHT" after posting some boring 10 minute long duel with someone on his friends list.

People will explain to him what he did wrong and what he could have done to exploit the opportunities he had to force damage.

He will say "NUH UH" and not listen to anyone, and the world will continue to spin.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

:same:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kamikaze Raider posted:

He's just going to come back and say "I WAS RIGHT" after posting some boring 10 minute long duel with someone on his friends list.

People will explain to him what he did wrong and what he could have done to exploit the opportunities he had to force damage.

He will say "NUH UH" and not listen to anyone, and the world will continue to spin.

are you a wizard?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

For Honor: whatever, you're still going to buy it

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Kamikaze Raider posted:

lmao if you think i have friends

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I'm. ..really not enjoying this as much as I thoight I would. Not helped by the fact I don't seem to be very good. Vast majority of people just take me apart.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Roblo posted:

I'm. ..really not enjoying this as much as I thoight I would. Not helped by the fact I don't seem to be very good. Vast majority of people just take me apart.

Competitive skill based games like fighting games can be real frustrating if you aren't getting lots of what's going on. If players are taking you apart, have you played versus AI? You can still level up and earn rewards even fighting AI, so that's a good way to practice.

Did you do the advanced practice? Earns you some steel and teaches you some cool stuff. After that, make sure you watch both the Basic and Advanced videos under "How to play" for your chosen character. Make sure you really understand all their moves and combos and unique abilities. Practice them on a level 0 bot or in an AI duel, and then go play with players.

And try lots of different characters, they play very different and some are way harder to get good at.

But if you don't wanna put in the time to learn and just wanna mash dudes faces, I get you. Dynasty Warriors is great for that :)

Minorkos posted:

lmao if you think i have friends

Well... I don't even know what to say to that.

Seriously though dude chill the hell out on telling everybody they're not really having fun and the game is bad. If you want, buy the game, fight me, and we'll see if you can really perfectly block and guard-break everything every single time, or if you ever get tripped up. I'm no pro MLG player or anything but even then I doubt you'll be able to play perfectly, but maybe you are a savant. Or don't buy the game and go post in some thread about some game you do own and do enjoy playing.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Roblo posted:

Game clicked for me when i found the characters i do good with.
I want to love the Conqueror but with the Warlord and Warden i won't get turbomurdered all the time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so holy poo poo the shugoki is loving amazing and i'm in love

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Roblo posted:

Hi I'm a scrub too. Doesn't help that I jumped right into Nobushi, but I'm getting better (I guess).

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Finding your particular guy is a big key to having fun, yeah. I really like the nobushi's fashion choices and range, but I can't win fights as her. I own bones as the raider and warlord, though, so learning the fun things about them helped me get a lot more engaged.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Game clicked for me when i found the characters i do good with.
I want to love the Conqueror but with the Warlord and Warden i won't get turbomurdered all the time.

This is good advice. I wanted to dunk on people with a flail but I suck with heavy characters. The Warden is unfortunately the only Knight class I'm not bad with, so I stick to Warlord, Berserker, and Kensei.

You have more fun with the game when you find a character you're good with, and fight alongside buddies you can communicate with. I find that when I've got a team to talk to we can coordinate and not get mauled in 3v1 battles all over the map.

Also generally, does anyone have good suggestions for how to lock down a Nobushi? Them and Orochi are the only classes I consistently lose against and it's getting under my skin.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Minorkos posted:

i don't own the game so sadly

wow you have no honor, where's the honor in not owning the game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Here's a steaming hot take: Minorkos is right about all or most of his points but the majority of us are not operating at the skill level where it matters. It is simultaneously possible to not be affected or inconvenienced by design flaws and also hope they are addressed for the people who are in that skill bracket.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Decided to learn the Lawbringer to see if he was bad as his reputation and man. Wow. Yeah this guy is bad. He's supposed to be the king of parries and counter attacks yet all his combos and swings are so slow the only damage that you can get is the free light attack from a parry. His shove and parry attack are combo starters but you're so loving slow you'll never get them off. You can't even get a hit from a shove and his stamina usage is crazy that if you manage to actually do something by the time you can capitalise on it you're jack poo poo out of stamina.

Even his unblockables aren't worth using because even medium skill level people with no stamina can parry them no problem.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Minorkos posted:

except the only one that's really affected is just regular attacking

even guard break is still somewhat fast despite full stamina loss. dodging, parrying, blocking, rolling, guard break cancelling etc. are all unaffected so there's no real downside to temporarily running out of stamina as long as your defense game is good

it's ironic that you'd complain about false information when you're basically handing out some yourself in the same post

You're wrong on several points here. Rolling is completely disabled. Parrying works, but you can't cancel a parry if they feint which leads to a slowified heavy which leads to you lying on the ground taking bonus damage.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Minorkos posted:

except the only one that's really affected is just regular attacking

even guard break is still somewhat fast despite full stamina loss. dodging, parrying, blocking, rolling, guard break cancelling etc. are all unaffected so there's no real downside to temporarily running out of stamina as long as your defense game is good

it's ironic that you'd complain about false information when you're basically handing out some yourself in the same post

You cannot roll. Attacking is incredible slow. You can get knocked off of cliffs by blocking strong attacks. You get knocked down by getting thrown. Literally everything you do is affected in some way...

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Who woulda thought that someone who doesn't own the game has no idea what they're talking about? Truly shocking imo

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Why do goons get so defensive about video games they like?

(I also really like this game and Minorkos made some good points)

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Barent posted:

Why do goons get so defensive about video games they like?

(I also really like this game and Minorkos made some good points)

Who is getting defensive? We're calling him wrong. This has nothing to do with 'defending the game'.

He may have made a few good points, but they get lost in the sea of complete bullshit.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

panda clue posted:

Who is getting defensive? We're calling him wrong. This has nothing to do with 'defending the game'.

He may have made a few good points, but they get lost in the sea of complete bullshit.

You and Zaphod, but I digress. Just an observation.

I've been maining Lawbringer and while I enjoy it I can't see him being good at higher levels. Doesn't seem to have many good mixup options and even his special parry stuff seems lackluster. I guess I just need more practice.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Double Monocle posted:

Point taken.

Tips I have-

Spacing is a thing. Your reach is long. Abuse that. Holding back on the movement stick with attacks (except top light) will move you backwards slightly and can be using to dodge many short ranged attacks while getting a free hit.

Your parry light follow up counts as a attack for your chain and is 100% vs every character.

Your range makes you a horrible target to parry. Lawbringers recover quickly from getting parried and move far away. Many follow ups that work on the majority of the cast (parry-guard break) just don't work on lawbringers.

Parry into poleaxe push (side heavy after party) can situationally be amazing damage. Push into a wall is a gaurenteed heavy. Hit em top heavy for the blind and try to finish your chain for big damage.

You can shove on block. Use this to destroy rushdown tactics (hello orochi). On most characters blockshove into trip throw can only be avoided by spamming back dodge.

Parry into top heavy unblockable is much better than you think. It can be counter parried but the window is tight, and most characters cannot dodge away in time, which seems to be the default response. I do not suggest this vs a warden who knows what's up though lol.

If you wanna cheese master you can straight up play chiveraly with your attacks. Cancel lock on, look sideways, press side attack. Your side heavies have huge amount of swing to them and can hit targets at about 90 degrees. Feels dumb, but if you wanna finish off a dude it's effective.

The running attack is really really obvious if you just run at a dude. Dropping lock on quickly and doing it mid melee will catch people off gaurd and can get some quick damage in.

Use the red white and blue colors with the eagle emblem and tell your degenerate weeabo opponents your gonna free the poo poo out of them.

Thank you!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone even know how matchmaking works right now? Like, do you have a separate ranking for every single mode or just one universal skill tier?

Also does completing the story mode grant a good amount of steel?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Barent posted:

You and Zaphod, but I digress. Just an observation.

Talking about game mechanics isn't really defending the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone even know how matchmaking works right now? Like, do you have a separate ranking for every single mode or just one universal skill tier?

Also does completing the story mode grant a good amount of steel?

Yes, the game pretends to try and match you up via region and skill, and despite having dozens of thousands of players, then says "All regions, all skill levels" and throws you into a game.