Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Otner posted:

Invisible War > Human Revolution

I know this is the threads purpose but that is total heresy. Invisible War suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Also, how the hell is "Starcraft 2 is bad!" an unpopular opinion?

Actually you just gave me fuel for the one I'll defend whole heartedly: Command & Conquer -> Starcraft hard.

StarCraft is popular among people who want to play some kind of psychotic memory game of specific build-orders and think they are super-pro-awesome because they punch keys really fast.

C&C is an actual strategy game, esp. Red Alert 2 and Generals. Generals: Zero Hour is also hands down the best RTS ever made. A little cleverness and out of the box thinking could gently caress build-order l337s.

Hell even for MORE unpopular opinion, I think C&C 4 could have been a great game had the level up poo poo not been rushed and it wasn't a C&C game. Swap the C&C stuff out with, say, TF2 stuff and have Valve release it and people would have thought it's gameplay was fresh and interesting. But it did suck as a sequel so I can agree to that.

ED: C&C3 had major issues and it's expansion broke the game so I will agree with anyone who says that overall sucked.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm sorry but I've got to ask - why do you keep drawing arrows when you seem to just mean >?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't have the time anymore for the 2-3 hour aoe2 games I used to play but they were far more enjoyable than any game that encourages/requires rushing.

Why does every game now have to be ultra-competitive "e-sports"? The only modern multiplayer game I can even enjoy anymore is call of duty (although infinite warfare kind of sucks rear end) because I can just pick up a controller and do well in it without having to dedicate weeks/months of practice to even be on the same level as most of the other players.

Gotta capture that Brood War / Dotes lightning in a bottle like LoL did and make ridiculous esports cash.

Oh yeah I thought of another one:

Pokemon games are all the same and very boring and I cannot understand how people get hyped to buy a new one every year, it's even more of a shameless repackaging of the same gameplay than call of duty

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I like the gameworld of the witcher series but the controls/gameplay is trash.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually you just gave me fuel for the one I'll defend whole heartedly: Command & Conquer -> Starcraft hard.

StarCraft is popular among people who want to play some kind of psychotic memory game of specific build-orders and think they are super-pro-awesome because they punch keys really fast.

C&C is an actual strategy game, esp. Red Alert 2 and Generals. Generals: Zero Hour is also hands down the best RTS ever made. A little cleverness and out of the box thinking could gently caress build-order l337s.

Hell even for MORE unpopular opinion, I think C&C 4 could have been a great game had the level up poo poo not been rushed and it wasn't a C&C game. Swap the C&C stuff out with, say, TF2 stuff and have Valve release it and people would have thought it's gameplay was fresh and interesting. But it did suck as a sequel so I can agree to that.

ED: C&C3 had major issues and it's expansion broke the game so I will agree with anyone who says that overall sucked.

the problem was that EA had a cancelled game on their hands, in the form of a very bad idea intended for the asian market. Most of the assets and code were built apparently, and EA clearly has a problem with just letting go, unable to accept that some game concepts just aren't meant to be. They slapped a bunch of C&C branding on there and paid Joe Kucan to Kane it up in front of a green screen for 20 mins or w/e, then released a product that has apparently poisoned the franchise.

and EA just can't stop trying to inject a bunch of f2p bullshit because the reason the new C&C Generals game also failed was because players more or less revolted in the alpha as they started adding changes that moved it towards some cash shop bullshit.

EA these days only wants to make games you can complete or enjoy after investing in a bunch of frivolous horseshit that costs a couple times more than the base game and tbh im glad they're not touching C&C anymore since their intent with it is clearly straight up malevolent and anathema to what a RTS really is.

Also Red Alert 3 loving suuuuucked and the cutscenes including some cool people could not change that. Building the campaign around co-op? really? go gently caress yourself EA.

im salty about EA now and forever.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Video games are not good.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Someone at Blizzard seriously looked at Starcraft 2 and thought "Wings of Liberty...yeah, that sounds badass" and got everyone else to agree lol

They should hire good character designers so that they stop having hideous hulk-shaped characters with misshapen heads and dreamworks faces. Their poo poo looks like Rob Liefeld drew it.

Oh, and speaking of things that I don't care for:

Also the krogans in Mass effect look retarded. They have giant heads and tiny arms and a turtle shell. Fuckers couldn't climb a loving latter. Piss off with your attitude, wrex, you pathetic T-Rex armed loser. I could push you on your back and you would starve to death, or stand just behind you where you can never reach me. loving loser.

Tourians are toilet headed chumps.Asari are whores. Miranda is a gross silicon bastardization of a human created by a pedophile. Zorah are a bunch of chumps with AIDS and nice asses. Every other alien sucks balls. Joker is a super nerd cripple. The reapers are lame robot Cthulhu's who act all tough but are actually chumps like everyone else.

None of the characters in ME are good except girl shepherd, because she abuses everyone and gets away with it. I killed every crew member I could and never did nice things. gently caress this lame rear end galaxy.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 15, 2017

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Telltale games loving blow cock.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The Skeleton King posted:

Telltale games loving blow cock.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They aren't even games

all press x to Jason "games" blow rear end

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
People that play non-hardcore Diablo and Diablo-likes are actually small children that would be better off having a calculator and just adding numbers together

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
The Elder Scrolls and Witcher series are both nearly unplayable due to their catastrophically bad melee combat gameplay

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Those lovely non games did give us this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ROFL Octopus posted:

Mostly agree with this except zero time dilemma poo poo the bed in every conceivable way (especially frustrating because the midgame was epic as hell)

ZTD's ending is the only time I've felt straight-up insulted by a video game. gently caress that noise so hard.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know this is the threads purpose but that is total heresy. Invisible War suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

I wouldn't say it was better than HR but IW was actually pretty rad other than the (admittedly) crippling engine problems. The fact that the areas are so tiny forced them to be really well-designed for the most part, you don't get the freedom of approaching something from literally anywhere that you get from the original game but you get a series of cool stealth-action vignettes instead.

Plus the characters in IW were way better and more interesting than in the original.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Video games are attractive.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have never completed the ocarina of time because it is boring and I don't enjoy it. I will never finish it but keep my cartridge for no real reason

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Scornful Sexbot posted:

I have never completed the ocarina of time because it is boring and I don't enjoy it. I will never finish it but keep my cartridge for no real reason

I really enjoy the first three dungeons but then it's like you get to the Forest Temple and the game suddenly becomes a cure for insomnia.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Homestar Runner posted:

Everything about Terranigma (SNES) was blatantly stolen straight out of Chrono Trigger / Illusion of Gaia / Secret of Mana but it's better than those games so lol owned

Terranigma was made by the same people as Illusion of Gaia, so this makes sense

I don't really see how it stole from the other games though, unless you consider "is a top-down RPG" a terrible offense

Anyway my unpopular opinion is that it makes no loving sense that Xenoblade keeps getting sequels when Skies of Arcadia needs one so desperately

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

collecting ingredients and forging items is lame as hell

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I like crafting and making pretty armor and dresses for my people

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

unless it is for a hat made from a monster carcass

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I prefer the GDI/Nod setting to the Red Alert one but I will admit that Red Alert 2 is the superior game.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

if u like zero hour do i have the mod for u

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807747

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

it works if you get a sense of excitement when you find a thing because you can use it to create some new gameplay or if it gives you resources that you use to create new gameplay but most of the time it's used to pad out game time with grinding or with useless incremental stats and it's not fleshed out well enough to make you feel excited when you find a thing

see: far cry 3, 'survival games'

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Video games are handsome

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

new phone who dis posted:

I prefer the GDI/Nod setting to the Red Alert one but I will admit that Red Alert 2 is the superior game.

same. red alert 1 is a functionally better game than c&c 95 and RA 2 is a functionally better game than tiberian sun, but gently caress me if i still prefer the tiberium games.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are too many video games

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Clash of Clans is fun.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Agreed that crafting is bad. In fact it is so bad that it makes me unwilling to ever play Witcher 3 again, or to buy its expansions regardless of whether they're otherwise good. I could not be more sick of combining moose turds and dwarven paperclips to make a fecal morningstar

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CD Projekt red streamlined crafting a lot after they released Blood & Wine. It's maybe the most painless crafting system in RPGs right now. Fallout 4's is the worst. It's cool in theory to be modding guns and stuff but in practice bethesda can go gently caress itself with all that hunting for adhesive and high-end parts.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Bethesda games are only good if you cheat.

Set player.inventory 9999

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Children should only be allowed to graduate to newer games after they have beaten games that are older.

This can be decided by committee but you only end up on baby difficulty modern games like gears of war and call of duty after you are successfully certified to have beaten Doom and Quake.

Nobody will be allowed to play Assassins Creed or any game featuring Zombies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I disagree usually, but for Fallout 4 tgm for basebuilding and I built a script to max out weapon and armor parts.

I shouldn't have to do that for a crafting system to be functional imo.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fallout 4 has the most grating crafting system and I have no clue why they decided to spend so much effort on base-building which, as far as I know, has never been a staple of the Fallout series.

I have heard 2 conspiracy theories about why they focused on base-building and I find a lot of truth in both of them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is going to sound really, really, really dumb but I still don't own FO4 despite being pretty hype for it initially, all because the health bar in the UI looks like such absolute phoned-in poo poo that it was clear the game was going to have massive, fundamental problems throughout. I might grab it on sale sometime but after hearing some complaints about it I feel I made the right choice.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the basebuilding in particular is very obviously bethesda stapling a kind-of cool Fallout 3 mod in order to pad the content of the game.

That said I really like weapon modding and stuff, that's really well done, but it's also a cop-out way for them to make distinct items without putting a bunch of man hours into making actual content.

I paid for it brand new, and I shelved it for a while to play Witcher 3, a better game imo, but I ended up playing F4 quite a bit, and I can't say I regret it. It has a lot of problems but if you like Fallout games it's just fine. Bethesda shouldn't have voiced the protagonist and the plot is garbage, but there's a fun but flawed game in there.

Luckily the worst part - the basebuilding - is totally optional save for one brief lategame moment.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

This is going to sound really, really, really dumb but I still don't own FO4 despite being pretty hype for it initially, all because the health bar in the UI looks like such absolute phoned-in poo poo that it was clear the game was going to have massive, fundamental problems throughout. I might grab it on sale sometime but after hearing some complaints about it I feel I made the right choice.

Its a pretty good game overall but they butchered the skill and attribute system. Everything is just perks now.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if you like fallout games you shouldn't skip Fallout 4, but the dlc is pretty lame. I bought Automatron and I regret it, I watched someone play Far Harbor and it looked terrible. Haven't seen Nuka World but there's no way it broke the mold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Bethesda can't make a good Fallout game. They don't get the setting right and their writing sucks.