Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
the amount of Kansas hate from Californians itt is shocking and disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not convinced kansas is an actual place so I have no feelings about it one way or another tbh

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Kansas is actually a Japanese fishing colony

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Straight White Shark posted:

When do you start herding them into death camps or is that a different department within FEMA

That's Jade Helm

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

I don't hate Kansas, but when I visited Wichita, nothing there seemed to be particularly great either. Those winters must be a bitch to deal with though.
My brother moved there because he can't have his arsenal here in CA. He had to choose between being able to see his mother on a regular basis (he hasn't been here to see her in probably six years now, and she's 77 and in poor health) and things like a one hundred round drum for his SKS. He chose the one hundred round drum. I really don't give a poo poo; I don't like him, and haven't talked to him in almost ten years. He and his wife (who is as attractive as she is intelligent) both voted for Trump. If California's sometimes stupid gun laws make people like him leave the state, that's a pretty cool unintended consequence.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

my state is so good *pays 2k/mo rent for 1 br apt* unnnfffff *snorts own fart*

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Repo Man posted:

I don't hate Kansas, but when I visited Wichita, nothing there seemed to be particularly great either. Those winters must be a bitch to deal with though.
My brother moved there because he can't have his arsenal here in CA. He had to choose between being able to see his mother on a regular basis (he hasn't been here to see her in probably six years now, and she's 77 and in poor health) and things like a one hundred round drum for his SKS. He chose the one hundred round drum. I really don't give a poo poo; I don't like him, and haven't talked to him in almost ten years. He and his wife (who is as attractive as she is intelligent) both voted for Trump. If California's sometimes stupid gun laws make people like him leave the state, that's a pretty cool unintended consequence.

Tell us more about your brother's stupid bitch wife.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
I moved to California recently and was surprised that the housing costs wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. As long as you live in one of the "podunk" cities (~100-150K people) about 30-50 minutes from a major urban area (LA or SD), the prices are around 300K for a very nice house. Granted you could get a much bigger place in Texas for that amount, but then you'd have to deal with a GOP government. It's not worth it.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
moms are usually boring anyway

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Repo Man posted:

My friend recently moved from Kansas back to Illinois. His Kansas coworkers asked him what he'd do with all of his AR-15's (he has no guns).

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I biked across Kansas in 5 days. Pretty milquetoast state, nice people in it though.

gently caress Missouri.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tell us more about your brother's stupid bitch wife.

She collects knives.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Repo Man posted:

that guy is dumb because if you want open gun laws to dual wield AKs with drum mags or whatever I don't know why you would move to one of the states that everyone forgets exists all the time when you could move somewhere probably nicer like the east coast or something.

kansas' only purpose is to remind me that arkansas is also a state.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The total rainfall in the area that caused the 50 foot rise was ~1.5-2 inches... Temperatures were a bit warmer than they'll be for the next few days so snow melt should be less of a factor, but the predicted rain fall just for thursday and friday is expected to be 1.25-1.75 inches (and probably more up in the mountains)... that's not even getting into the next few days after that where more rain will most likely be falling.

They've got the water level down, what, 9 feet or something? Barring an absolutely best case scenario of cold temps and minimal rain, a lot of water is going to be going to go over that spillway.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Space Crabs posted:

that guy is dumb because if you want open gun laws to dual wield AKs with drum mags or whatever I don't know why you would move to one of the states that everyone forgets exists all the time when you could move somewhere probably nicer like the east coast or something.

kansas' only purpose is to remind me that arkansas is also a state.

There are even nice states in the general vicinity of the west coast with non-poo poo gun laws you could move to. Not that any of them want more Californians, of course.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The total rainfall in the area that caused the 50 foot rise was ~1.5-2 inches... Temperatures were a bit warmer than they'll be for the next few days so snow melt should be less of a factor, but the predicted rain fall just for thursday and friday is expected to be 1.25-1.75 inches (and probably more up in the mountains)... that's not even getting into the next few days after that where more rain will most likely be falling.

They've got the water level down, what, 9 feet or something? Barring an absolutely best case scenario of cold temps and minimal rain, a lot of water is going to be going to go over that spillway.

I know there is a website somewhere that lists the foot depth of the water at regular daily intervals but I can't find it right now.

I did find an acre foot capacity graph where you can see the effect of blasting that damaged spillway 24/7 the past few days

Which looks like continuing for another 3+ days of constant venting on the damaged spillway would still be less than 2/3rds of reversing the most recent storm, and that's assuming there is 0 extra inflow.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 15, 2017

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?ORO

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

a bone to pick posted:

The amount of people wishing bodily harm on Californians so they have something to watch for their entertainment in this thread is shocking and disappointing, tbqh.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I would settle for a badass CGI dam break.

An actual dam break would probably just make me sad.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

MageMage posted:

The amount of people wishing bodily harm on Californians so they have something to watch for their entertainment in this thread is shocking and disappointing, tbqh.

Loose talk about stealing everyone's water hasn't won them many friends.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Space Crabs posted:

I know there is a website somewhere that lists the foot depth of the water at regular daily intervals but I can't find it right now.

I did find an acre foot capacity graph where you can see the effect of blasting that damaged spillway 24/7 the past few days

Which looks like continuing for another 3+ days of constant venting on the damaged spillway would still be less than 2/3rds of reversing the most recent storm, and that's assuming there is 0 extra inflow.

Hopefully the repairs are coming along amazingly...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

MageMage posted:

True, why couldn't it have been Kentucky

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
No one but moridin hates kentucky

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
people in kentucky hate kentucky.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MageMage posted:

California deserves it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if your states are so good then how come you don't even have your own

:ca:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
tbh I want all of the pacific cities to form their own nation state. The central valley can feed all of us, and everyone else can vote for whoever they want without loving with our business

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
did everyone die yet

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Nah the evacuation has been lifted so everything back to normal until it starts raining again

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I say give Cali back to Mexico just to see what happens in global finance.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Heh, who gives a dam

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
sacramento liveupdate: the rain clouds are moving in............................................

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
are the rain clouds republican or democrat?!?!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
First rain clouds destroy our warplanes, now our dams. This aggression cannot stand. We must declare a war on rain clouds.

Bomb them with salt.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

the great deceiver posted:

sacramento liveupdate: the rain clouds are moving in............................................

Good

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Moridin920 posted:

First rain clouds destroy our warplanes, now our dams. This aggression cannot stand. We must declare a war on rain clouds.

Bomb them with salt.

gently caress SALT!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I'm going to seed the clouds... assuming that's ur family name.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I hope those clouds piss all over you Moridin

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The California hate in this topic is misplaced.

There isn’t a single $2 k/ 1 bedroom apartment in the entire area that was evacuated.

The median income in Oroville (right under the dam, pop. 16,260) is $36,581.

That figure for Yuba City (larger city downstream, pop. 65,416) is $50,494.

Check out the top employers, too: Oroville | Yuba City

Real fart‐huffing Hollywood types. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yes that comment was definitely directed at Oroville residents

Does every Californian also take everything personally and assume every insult is a direct attack like you? :jerkbag:

• Locked thread