Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

queeb posted:

gently caress me, just got to level 7 and the first town in the dunmer questline and holy gently caress, quest overload.

Can i master all crafts on one class? also i have no idea what the story is or who these covenant people are

you are probably seeing a bunch of dailies and stuff

do what you want on that stuff but don't get overwhelmed with it

you are going to see a lot of quests that are just "go to X zone" if you have all the DLC / ESO Plus as well as the crafting stuff

that stuff is good and you can do it, but if you just need to narrow down what you want to do at first, this is what I've been doign:

Zone questlines
Main quest
Fighters Guild
Mages Guild

When I want a change of pace I've been doing the thieves guild / dark brotherhood + some crafting stuff.

Haven't touched the DLC zones like craglorn yet at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

eonwe posted:

this game has made me really into ES lore, which I haven't really ever cared about in past ES games

Same here, kinda. I'm not entirely engrossed at all but Sheo's story is wonderful and I'm finding several of the characters actually fun and kind of charming. So far I'm digging the Dork Brotherhood story, too.

Game is good.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
You can master all the crafts on one character. If you are doing all the skill point quests, dungeons and farming skyshards you will have plenty of skill points eventually, though you might hit a couple of choke points. Provisioning and Alchemy are both pretty easy to level. Enchanting is harder, but if you are in the crafting guild or have a partner it can go pretty quickly. What I initially did was have one character master blacksmithing, tailoring and woodworking. He is my character for researching traits. That character is also my enchanter. I have a separate cook and alchemist. The single cook simplifies dealing with recipes since they all go to him. It's not even necessary to level the other crafters beyond getting enough skill points for the passives of the craft.

Alchemy has some nice passives for potion use that are nice to have on any character, especially Argonians.

I have since made about 4 characters master crafters for equipment. They don't do any of the research, but having them maxed out means they see cp160 resources, get more cp160 from hirelings and can do cp160 writs. The level of resources and writs is conditioned by how many points you out into the first passives for the craft. For instance, it used to be that if you wanted Craglorn writs which might yield nirncrux for nirhoned then you only put 9 points into the first passive. I think the dynamics for that may have changed slightly with OT and I have not done any writs since I started playing again so I don't know.

Quest overload:
After I did a bunch of the content (which I enjoyed) I have since just leveled some characters without being centered around questing or story lines. I do the skill point quests in a zone, get all the shards and books, which also means doing all the delves. I think I mostly used uesp to track which quests were the skill point progression for the zone. Caldwell's Gold and Silver used to also lay that out, but I dont know how all that works in OT now. Here is an example: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Auridon

If you scroll down the page you will see they have a quest map that helps you navigate the zone. It's useful since some of the zone skill point quests can just seem to drop in the middle and can be hard to find the pick up point again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

queeb posted:

gently caress me, just got to level 7 and the first town in the dunmer questline and holy gently caress, quest overload.

Can i master all crafts on one class? also i have no idea what the story is or who these covenant people are

I highly recommend doing it with yopur first character from the beginning, you will thank yourself later.

The other characters you could just not craft, or put a low amount of skill points into crafting to get hirelings/writs.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Are the crafting hirelings worth it?

Also, speaking of crafting, why am I only getting tier 1 crafting materials from doing writs?

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
ty for invite

vrath fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 16, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

X-Ultron posted:

Are the crafting hirelings worth it?

Also, speaking of crafting, why am I only getting tier 1 crafting materials from doing writs?

Because your main skill in that line is low, like blacksmithing the main skill is Metalworking, if that's level 1, you're going to get low level writs, this also may affect hirelings I can't recall.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is anyone having constant connection drops in the game? It started last night for me and it's making ESO unplayable; it drops me back to the login screen after a few minutes of play. I'm 90% sure it's not my connection as not only have I rebooted everything but nothing else is showing connection issues (can still get to web pages, Steam isn't showing connection drops, etc.). I want to murder elves goddammit.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:siren: Ok time to be serious for a minute here. :siren:

As quite a few people already know, we do in fact have some people who work for ZOS in the guild. It's nice and all, but they're not here to be your personal connection to the studio (except in Ixjuvin's case, since he's made it clear that he's willing to accept bug reports as they happen; his words, not mine).

The rest of them, however, would prefer to not be bothered, since they want to relax in their downtime instead of deal with dev-related questions/comments/complaints/haggling.

If you happen to know who these people are, DO NOT let any others know. If they want people to know, they will do it themselves. If you happen to figure out who they are, keep it to yourself.

:siren:If I find out about anyone divulging the @UserIDs of the rest of them, I will personally kick you from the guild, no questions asked.:siren:

Knowing each one of them, I made sure to guarantee them that they don't get bothered while they're playing the game for fun and relaxation. This is without mentioning the fact that Lambert has actually said that any dev who plays the game plays on a regular account and not some superpowered admin account.

Serious mode over, back to whatever you were doing.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 14, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
devs, give me gold

tia

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Make 2H better in PVE

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
for real tho i hope people dont bug the devs, thats jacked up!!!!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
<There was a POST here. It's gone now.>

eonwe your elephant is v. cute & good

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 22, 2017

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Ixjuvin posted:

hi hello yes, hi. I guess I should post a thing

Obvious disclaimer: I'm not an official Company Face by any stretch of the imagination and nothing I say is backed or endorsed by Zenimax Online Studios, etc etc. I'm not going to tell you anything about Morrowind or [[unannounced DLC]] or whatever; I'm not going to comment on speculation or leaks, because I like having my job. It's probably not too hard to doxx me, please do not because I am a sad boy with fragile emotions.

I currently work on the Live QA team which means that bugs you guys might run into are explicitly my purview, so I don't mind being told about poo poo you run into. Although if it's widespread (i.e. the invisible players in Cyrodiil thing) and/or on the official forums or Reddit, there is a 95% chance it is already on our radar. Connection/server/performance stuff is outside my wheelhouse, sorry Luchadork :( unless there is something specific and consistently reproducible I can't help (and even then there is unfortunately a lot of stuff that players run into that we can't reproduce in-house for one reason or another). Personally I'm the best and most familiar with content stuff - your broken quests, your hosed up worldbuilding, your typos.

If it is before 6:00 PM EST on a weekday and you see me online, I am ~at work~ and if you tell me about bugs I can act on them immediately (if I'm not doing something else). If you see me outside of that time, or in the Slack, I am ~at home~ and may or may not remember to write down and take in things you tell me about, depending on how tired or drunk I am. So keep that in mind I guess.

That's all there is to say!!

eonwe your elephant is v. cute & good

so let me get this straight: you want us to find bugs for you so you can submit tickets for them and take all the credit? nice try buddy.
(on a serious note, this is good to know).

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Dang it. I was hoping we were going to have to kidnap Scy someplace in Cyrodill to get the info.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That's cool - I didn't know that. I wouldn't bug them but it is neat that they are goons. Wait, are they goons or did they just join us because we are the coolest guild?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well thx buddy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok so im about to hit 50 on my new char

ill do cadwell's quests and dungeons

is there anything else initially? i feel like i need to work to 160, level up some craft stuff, etc

I think trials are way off right

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

eonwe posted:

ok so im about to hit 50 on my new char

ill do cadwell's quests and dungeons

is there anything else initially? i feel like i need to work to 160, level up some craft stuff, etc

I think trials are way off right

I believe once you hit 50 it gives you a 4 million XP enlightenment buff so what I'd do is find someone nice to run you through Skyrearch Catacombs 30 times. It's good loot for them and that should get you up to CP50-60 within 3-4 hours.

Once you do that, daily dungeons/pledges/general roaming around and doing stuff along with Cyrodiil should get you to 160 quickly.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
It's me, I'm the J4G

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I dunno what that is, but I'm gonna assume it's pronounced JAG like that naval lawyer show.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

doomfunk posted:

It's me, I'm the J4G

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I believe once you hit 50 it gives you a 4 million XP enlightenment buff so what I'd do is find someone nice to run you through Skyrearch Catacombs 30 times. It's good loot for them and that should get you up to CP50-60 within 3-4 hours.

Once you do that, daily dungeons/pledges/general roaming around and doing stuff along with Cyrodiil should get you to 160 quickly.

thx buddy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

doomfunk posted:

It's me, I'm the J4G

hi

i personally dont care if people join for video games and are nice, good luck on your something awful experience

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Thanks my dude, I appreciate it despite my being j4g being a complete fiction with no basis in reality.

I am one of the devs Scyantific alluded to. I can't really discuss anything though, but if you have feedback regarding anything crafting feel free to pm it to me and I'll quietly collect it. I'm the crafting guy.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

So I thought that the devs had a secret devguild where they do devvy stuff all day. But it was us all along. We are the dev guild :stonk:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Thanks for making all the Heavy Armor look way better than the medium and light. Downside is that I see non-tanks and sub-50s wearing it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

doomfunk posted:

Thanks my dude, I appreciate it despite my being j4g being a complete fiction with no basis in reality.

I am one of the devs Scyantific alluded to. I can't really discuss anything though, but if you have feedback regarding anything crafting feel free to pm it to me and I'll quietly collect it. I'm the crafting guy.

oh! ok, well enjoy SA and thanks for the fun game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont see what my armor looks like because I wear a nord bath towel and a wizards hat

MF_James
May 8, 2008

doomfunk posted:

You're the crafting guy? Good loving job on it, seriously, crafting is awesome in this game.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How do I craft armor? I got a char to lv7 and got some tailor patterns for furniture but no dresses yet, and they're not on vendors either.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

got any sevens posted:

How do I craft armor? I got a char to lv7 and got some tailor patterns for furniture but no dresses yet, and they're not on vendors either.

You're not going to be able to craft poo poo at that level, have someone in guild craft stuff to help you level.

What you do want to do to level crafting skills is:

1) Research traits when you can at the crafting station, at first you will only be able to research one trait per craft at a time, with skill points you will be able to do up to 3
2) decon EVERYTHING that drops unless it's ornate, this will help level your skill and give you mats

But, to answer your question about HOW to craft stuff, you go to the crafting station, for armor/weapons you don't need patterns/designs, you just need to know the traits you want to craft (see above for how to learn traits), to craft higher level stuff you need to put points into the skill line.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yeh, I feel this is the best crafting system I have ever encountered in an MMO.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Sogol posted:

Yeh, I feel this is the best crafting system I have ever encountered in an MMO.
Agreed.
I do wish the research timers wouldn't take up to a month to research the last couple of traits for one item, but aside from that I really like the way crafting was handled.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So I picked this up when it was selling from their own site for $30 for the gold edition, avoiding any entanglements with Steam or grey-market keysellers, only played through the opening tutorialish area so far. I saw that the consensus a while ago was that summoning was garbage and bad, has that improved at all with the One Tamriel update? I hate effort and letting a dremora face tank for me while I stand waaaaaay over there and just throw lightning bolts at a thing seems about my speed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Valatar posted:

So I picked this up when it was selling from their own site for $30 for the gold edition, avoiding any entanglements with Steam or grey-market keysellers, only played through the opening tutorialish area so far. I saw that the consensus a while ago was that summoning was garbage and bad, has that improved at all with the One Tamriel update? I hate effort and letting a dremora face tank for me while I stand waaaaaay over there and just throw lightning bolts at a thing seems about my speed.

Summoning is good for solo, especially while leveling. My opinion on this game: Do whatever you want, you can do 99.5% of content without min/maxing, and the .5% you still do not need to min/max super hard.

I did not use summons while leveling my sorc and it was my first char, no gear handouts etc, so it's possible and easy to do without summons.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Valatar posted:

Summoning is 200% up your alley, buddy. Post your @account name and we'll invite you and make you clothes.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost
I jumped into the game again after dropping it a couple of months after release.
Unlike so many I really enjoyed the game at release, at least until I hit level 50. Because I play almost entirely solo, that old post-50 content was so painful I uninstalled the game even with a couple of months of sub time still active.

But the game now is amazing, I'm trying to convince other friends to get into it, but they all still just see it as a MMO so refuse to touch it. The fools.

I was still in the Daggerfall Goons guild too. In the last two weeks I haven't seen anybody else log in there, so I'd enjoy it if you could invite @SadWombat to the current active goon guild.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Could I get an invite please, @shallowj ? Picked the game up on sale and really enjoying it so far. It's the first mmo where I've spent time wandering around and looking at stuff without being explicitly rewarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
This question is probably dumb, but can you switch the client language to English even though you've purchased/installed the French version of the game? Tamriel Unlimited is up for sale here and I might want to give it a shot. For some odd reason the game's language is labeled as "FR", even though most European games usually come in German, French and Italian on the same disc.

edit:

It's the PS4 version.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 16, 2017