Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Crossposting from the newbie finance thread.

So quick question about credit cards. I'm 21 now, located in Ontario, and a student, and I figure it's long past time that I stop using a supplementary credit card from my father and start building up my own credit.

I graduate this year, my last job I was earning the equivalent of 33 a year. Not working now, but I have a job offer in NYC for after I graduate and a backup plan if that falls through. Um, current financial situation is 7 thousand in my scotiabank checking account (needs to last until April), and $4800 in my Tax Free Savings account (mostly in Mutual Funds, I don't want to touch this). No debt, no student loans.

What should I be looking for? I don't exactly have any credit history, but I figure that it's kinda useless if I'm just putting all my purchases on my debit card. Any starter tips, for lack of a better word? I want to start building up a good credit rating. Most of my monthly purchases are Rogers phone/TV/internet, grocery bills, the occasional fun thing off Amazon.

I travel to the United States regularly since I'm a dual citizen, but figure it's not worth getting a card with no international use fees since I can just get a card from my US bank. Never stay at hotels and rarely pay for taxis, not significant enough to look at a travel focused card.

So, generally speaking, what are best practices about both using my new credit card, and what should I look for when obtaining one?

I don't think bills and stuff to build credit history in Canada report to the US credit agencies. You may still have a blank slate when you move to NYC, unless the card from your father is a US credit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

extravadanza posted:

I don't think bills and stuff to build credit history in Canada report to the US credit agencies. You may still have a blank slate when you move to NYC, unless the card from your father is a US credit card.

It is, it's a chase card. The credit card is under my name, but he still gets the monthly bill. So not sure how that one works out.

Either which way, when I go to NYC though, I can always get a secured card and use that for a year yeah even with no credit history and not being a student?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

It is, it's a chase card. The credit card is under my name, but he still gets the monthly bill. So not sure how that one works out.

Either which way, when I go to NYC though, I can always get a secured card and use that for a year yeah even with no credit history and not being a student?

Maybe request your credit history through annualcreditreport.com and see if that card or anything else is being report to the US credit agencies. I think you can get your credit score through there too? If not, it's really easy to get credit scores for free through mint or one of those TV ads.

If it's a reasonable score, you might still be able to qualify for a 'bad' credit card with 1-1.5% cash back. Use that for about a year then apply for a 'good' card, perhaps one that provides no foreign transaction fee, if that appeals to you.

If there is no credit history, you may need to get a secured card first for a while.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Just applied for and received my first credit card in ages, when I realized the Chase Amazon card has 5% for prime members now. That's absolutely outrageous. All of our baby supplies & most of our furniture has come from prime, we could have saved hundreds.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

Crossposting from the newbie finance thread.

So quick question about credit cards. I'm 21 now, located in Ontario, and a student, and I figure it's long past time that I stop using a supplementary credit card from my father and start building up my own credit.

I graduate this year, my last job I was earning the equivalent of 33 a year. Not working now, but I have a job offer in NYC for after I graduate and a backup plan if that falls through. Um, current financial situation is 7 thousand in my scotiabank checking account (needs to last until April), and $4800 in my Tax Free Savings account (mostly in Mutual Funds, I don't want to touch this). No debt, no student loans.

What should I be looking for? I don't exactly have any credit history, but I figure that it's kinda useless if I'm just putting all my purchases on my debit card. Any starter tips, for lack of a better word? I want to start building up a good credit rating. Most of my monthly purchases are Rogers phone/TV/internet, grocery bills, the occasional fun thing off Amazon.

I travel to the United States regularly since I'm a dual citizen, but figure it's not worth getting a card with no international use fees since I can just get a card from my US bank. Never stay at hotels and rarely pay for taxis, not significant enough to look at a travel focused card.

So, generally speaking, what are best practices about both using my new credit card, and what should I look for when obtaining one?

Do you have a TD account? TD bank in America is largely a separate entity, but they would be able to issue you a credit card with a decent limit using your Canadian credit score. Not sure if they'll do this without a TD account. I think Amex would issue you a US card too if you have an Amex Canadian card

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

extravadanza posted:

I don't see why not. Surely plenty of people live near a state border and do banking in a different state than where they live. Maybe call them to make sure?

Can't apply online, the offer is only for applications at Chase branches.

Yeah, it's fine- my mailing address is in Virginia (no chase branches) and I've opened several accounts in CA without issue

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I swore I read somewhere that the southwest companion pass would no longer be available come this March. I can't find any mention of that but that you cannot transfer from hotel partners to meet the 110k balance at that time.

Are both correct or just the latter? I got the first SWA chase card but not sure I can get another in time if both from opening too many Chase cards in a short period. Speaking of, any idea on how long until I'm good to apply or the max on cards?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I swore I read somewhere that the southwest companion pass would no longer be available come this March. I can't find any mention of that but that you cannot transfer from hotel partners to meet the 110k balance at that time.

Are both correct or just the latter? I got the first SWA chase card but not sure I can get another in time if both from opening too many Chase cards in a short period. Speaking of, any idea on how long until I'm good to apply or the max on cards?

Far as I know, just the transfer partner stuff is stopping counting.

Chase's rule is to deny you if you've had 5 or more new accounts in the last 24 months. You can recon it if enough of those were AUs or store cards that you'd otherwise be under 5.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Good to hear the 100k bonus for the Reserve is still available at branches. Probably going to head over to one tomorrow.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

TheEye posted:

Good to hear the 100k bonus for the Reserve is still available at branches. Probably going to head over to one tomorrow.

Any luck with this? Did you get the 100k?

Agile Sumo
Sep 17, 2004

It could take teams quite a bit of time to master.

AndrewP posted:

Any luck with this? Did you get the 100k?

My wife just went in to a branch last week and got the 100k bonus.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I got a targeted United MP Explorer 70K sign up bonus offer... and then I saw the name on the mailer was that of the previous tenant :(

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Blinkman987 posted:

I got a targeted United MP Explorer 70K sign up bonus offer... and then I saw the name on the mailer was that of the previous tenant :(

You may be able to use it anyway.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Getting ready to wind down and close my Sally Mae Barclayscard, replacing it with Amex Blue Cash Preferred. If I close my Barclayscard with a negative balance after dumping the rest of my cashback, do they mail that negative balance to me?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Neon Belly posted:

Getting ready to wind down and close my Sally Mae Barclayscard, replacing it with Amex Blue Cash Preferred. If I close my Barclayscard with a negative balance after dumping the rest of my cashback, do they mail that negative balance to me?

I know if you've overpaid they mail the balance back, I don't know about rewards bucks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

Instead of closing it, have you considered having Barclaycard change the Sally Mae to another product to keep your account open instead? You'd have more available credit and another account aging on your credit report; both tend to increase credit scores.

I've also read some posts that with some of their other products Barclaycard even lets you keep your reward balance with the new product, but I'd recommend inquiring to make sure.

Otherwise, if you have a negative balance on your card you can generally just request a check, or if you do go ahead and close out your account they'll likely mail you one anyway (but I'd still call in to find out what the expected timeframe would be to get it).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

I have one that keeps popping up on my United app even though I've had the Chase MPE for a year already and just cancelled it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got in/out of Chase within 15 minutes to apply for/get approved for the Reserve. Pretty painless all around! Guy said they're expecting a big rush once March rolls around.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can I apply to update upgrade my Chase preferred to chase Reserve? I have only had the card for three weeks or so that I have already put three grand on it and paid it off. I don't know how long it will take to improve my credit score, but because I only use it for business expenses that the company immediately Cuts me a check for I anticipated doing my credit score some good

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Can I apply to update upgrade my Chase preferred to chase Reserve?
You can usually call to have it converted, but you don't get the Reserve's signup bonus.

Waroduce posted:

I have only had the card for three weeks or so
This, however, I have no idea about. If it's anything like requesting credit limits, they'll want to see a few months of on-time payments first.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I have only had the card for three weeks or so that I have already put three grand on it and paid it off. I don't know how long it will take to improve my credit score, but because I only use it for business expenses that the company immediately Cuts me a check for I anticipated doing my credit score some good

IIRC, Credit Card companies only report the statement balance and not how much you spent/paid during a pay period. So basically, if you racked up 3k and paid it off before the balance went on an official statement, the credit bureaus will never know it happened. For the most part they only care that you actually pay off your statement balance on time every month. Utilization has some impact too, but not as much.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
um does that mean i should carry that balance over? wont I pay interest than?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No, always pull off the full balance every month. If you can't afford to do that then don't get a credit card. If you're talking about transferring balances between your two cards at Chase just go talk to your bank about it, we can't help you without specific dates and numbers and we're not bankers so half of what we say will be wrong.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
No I can definitely pay off the full balance every month. This is my first and only credit card and it is only used for business expenses.

If I racked up and then paid off $3,000 though and the credit bureau never knows because it's paid off how does that help my credit score?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Don't worry about how much money you're putting through the card every month and how that affects your credit score day to day. The credit bureaus are constantly changing their rules, much of the advice posted recently in this thread about them is already out of date.

Whether you rack up $3k or not or pay it off in one month or then transfer the balance and then pay it off a week later is all completely irrelevant to your credit score. Stop sweating it. Just pay off the balance every month.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
This honestly I think is the most confusing aspect of credit scores because the specifics are pretty unintuitive.

You always, always always always want to pay the entire statement balance before the due date. This prevents you from paying interest while building a solid credit history of on time payments. A long history of on time payments is absolutely the most important aspect of your credit. Do not carry a balance as a part of an attempt to increase your credit score, it doesn't help and will only cost you money.

Part of your credit score is your utilization, which is how much of your available credit is being used. It's bad for your credit if you use close to your credit limit.

Because of this it is possible to game the system a little by paying some of your balance earlier, before the statement is generated.
If you do this though things get a little weird, you will have met the requirements for a minimum payment but a statement will still be created with a statement balance and a due date. Unless the balance is $0 you still need to pay this amount by the due date in order to avoid paying interest.

Further complicating things though is it's slightly better for building credit to have some balance reported (not carried over, don't carry over a balance!) instead of $0.

This is all irrelevant to most people anyways because credit utilization has no history, it's entirely based on your last reported balance. So if you're building credit this is only relevant the month before you plan to apply for a car loan/mortgage or new credit card and if you have excellent credit your limit is probably high enough that you don't need to worry about utilization at all.

One last thing, spending more doesn't benefit your score in any way whatsoever.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

THF13 posted:

Further complicating things though is it's slightly better for building credit to have some balance reported (not carried over, don't carry over a balance!) instead of $0.

I've always heard this but the past few months when I look at my score (since every bank/CC shows it to you anymore) it tells me that "too many accounts with balances" is dragging it down even though my utilization is quite low.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Thoguh posted:

I've always heard this but the past few months when I look at my score (since every bank/CC shows it to you anymore) it tells me that "too many accounts with balances" is dragging it down even though my utilization is quite low.

I didn't know this hurt your credit, I'm guessing it has a pretty minor effect.

For avoiding a reported $0 balance I didn't mean to say you should do that for every single card, just that you want to show you are using credit. Though again this is all pieced together from unofficial sources mostly, I'm not sure if this advice directly helps your credit score or if it's just something that banks/potential credit issuers will look at on their own when they pull your credit.

Edit: Here's better information from doctor of credit. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-utilization-reporting-dates-for-each-card-issuer/

quote:

Generally speaking you want your credit utilization under 10% to have the best FICO score (with some anecdotal evidence suggesting the optimal rate is between 1-9% depending on other factors and that it’s best to have all but one card with a utilization of 0%).

Words of wisdom from the newbie personal finance thread though. "Your credit score is not a video game". Don't do anything crazy trying to min/max your credit score. With a long history of on time payments you can pretty much ignore everything else.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 16, 2017

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

THF13's advice is spot-on. The only thing I'll add is that FICO (and possibly VantageScore 3.0, but I haven't checked) looks at utilization on a per-account basis, not just overall utilization. In 2015 to celebrate going live on Apple Pay, Discover was giving 10% bonus cash back on Apple Pay purchases, which I was milking like crazy; with Christmas and a kitchen remodel going on, I got utilization up to ~60% on that card for one statement, and even though my utilization overall (across all accounts) was still only about 5%, I shed about 20 points from my FICO scores. For reference, all three of my FICO 08 scores are 800+, so this may have a different impact in other score brackets.

Something to be aware of if you're about to apply for a car loan or a mortgage. At 800+ you're not going to get knocked into a less favorable interest rate, but if you're sitting at 745...

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is a single 30-day late payment from 6 years ago negligible as far as affecting FICO score? It's the only negative mark on any of my credit history, and I know it'll fall off soon, but it really bugs me that it's there at all. I still have an account with the bank (BoA card) but my attempts to request its removal just confused them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

gregday posted:

Is a single 30-day late payment from 6 years ago negligible as far as affecting FICO score? It's the only negative mark on any of my credit history, and I know it'll fall off soon, but it really bugs me that it's there at all. I still have an account with the bank (BoA card) but my attempts to request its removal just confused them.

No, it's not negligible, but it's going to drop off soon. They won't take it off sooner because you paid your card late, and 7 years seems to them like a fair compromise?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

gregday posted:

One late payment from 6 years ago very little impact alone. Anything that is a few years old will have a small impact and it gets smaller until it comes off

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Waroduce posted:

No I can definitely pay off the full balance every month. This is my first and only credit card and it is only used for business expenses.

If I racked up and then paid off $3,000 though and the credit bureau never knows because it's paid off how does that help my credit score?

Once a month the credit card company will issue you a statement for X amount which is the current balance of your credit card. At that point, you have 3 weeks to a month to pay off the statement balance 'X' before it begins to cost your $Interest$. I'm assuming since you said you had the card for 3 weeks, you have yet to receive an official statement. Which means you have charged $3k on your card and paid it off, but that won't show up in your credit report because the credit card company never had a chance to issue you a statement for it.

TBH the credit bureau cares more about the fact that you pay off your statement than how much is actually on the statement, anyway.

Edit: If your spend a lot for business and get reimbursed - it might actually be wise to pay off your credit card more often, maybe twice a month. It will artificially reduce your utilization. A few years ago my father had a problem getting a new credit card because his utilization was so high due to the majority of his spending getting reimbursed by his employer.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 16, 2017

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
The sallie mae mastercard is coming to an end :cry:

It was so awesome, 5% cash back on groceries, gas, Amazon/bookstores. What the hell. What do i do now

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Doghouse posted:

The sallie mae mastercard is coming to an end :cry:

It was so awesome, 5% cash back on groceries, gas, Amazon/bookstores. What the hell. What do i do now

The best combo I've seen is the Amazon 5% card, the Costco 4% gas card and the AmEx Blue Everyday 3% groceries card. You had to know that SMM gravy train was coming to an end, they haven't been taking applications on it for a while now.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The best combo I've seen is the Amazon 5% card, the Costco 4% gas card and the AmEx Blue Everyday 3% groceries card. You had to know that SMM gravy train was coming to an end, they haven't been taking applications on it for a while now.

You can get 6% on groceries with the fee version of that card. The breakeven point is around $3k spend a year.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

asur posted:

You can get 6% on groceries with the fee version of that card. The breakeven point is around $3k spend a year.

Yeah we had considered this one, but if you have a Costco card you know how tempting it is to just take the 4% there (2% on executive membership, 2% on your card) instead, making it pretty hard to get to $3000 in OTHER grocery spending. It's nice Aldi lets you use an Amex now, though.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah we had considered this one, but if you have a Costco card you know how tempting it is to just take the 4% there (2% on executive membership, 2% on your card) instead, making it pretty hard to get to $3000 in OTHER grocery spending. It's nice Aldi lets you use an Amex now, though.

mmm you're getting that 2% on exec membership no matter what card you use. Although its not like you're gonna get grocery points at costco right, it codes as a discount warehouse no? I've just been using a 2% cash card there.

But the better choice for amazon spending all along has been the blue cash 6% grocery card, buy amazon gift cards, use grocery points to get a buck off gas to more than pay for the annual fee.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Baddog posted:

mmm you're getting that 2% on exec membership no matter what card you use. Although its not like you're gonna get grocery points at costco right, it codes as a discount warehouse no? I've just been using a 2% cash card there.

Correct, Costco (and Costco Gas, I think) codes as discount warehouse. Chase freedom has had big box stores as their 5% category a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, RIP sallie mae barclaycard. Definitely my favorite card. I'm not a fan of carrying around a shitload of cards just to min/max so I'll probably switch over to citi doublecash for every purchase ever and be done with it