Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Maybe for Ottawa? He's pretty tall, definitely worth taking a flyer on him being a perfect match for Karlsson. He can be the defensive conscience.
He's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought Sam Morin is the one who sucks rear end and when he got drafted all the panelists had to say was "uhhh, well he's a big kid"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Are you sure? He could be the next Zdeno Chara you never know until you play him with Karlsson for half a season.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Yeah he's definitely got a short fuse. There was a scrum on the far side if the ice in the first Phantoms game at WBS (nothing bad, just one of those that usually happens where the D stays out) and he took a charging penalty trying to take a run at Sestito. It was to the point that Stolarz slammed his stick down on the ice as soon as Morin started skating towards the scrum. Last night my brother noticed Stolarz yelling at him as he came on the ice before a faceoff.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Morin's defensive game isn't all that bad, but that's definitely a pick I hated from the get-go. Like I don't get how anyone sees top pairing potential for him in the modern NHL. The NHL twelve years ago, maybe, but now? No way.

Picking him one pick ahead of Max Domi is one of the worst decisions Holmgren made.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
So Anthony Stolarz is my new favorite goalie

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

luke schenn looks good next to OEL and somehow he had a real drat good opportunity last night where he snuck in to the slot and the goalie just got a piece of it. act now supplies are limited

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

Yeah he's definitely got a short fuse. There was a scrum on the far side if the ice in the first Phantoms game at WBS (nothing bad, just one of those that usually happens where the D stays out) and he took a charging penalty trying to take a run at Sestito. It was to the point that Stolarz slammed his stick down on the ice as soon as Morin started skating towards the scrum. Last night my brother noticed Stolarz yelling at him as he came on the ice before a faceoff.

i mean yeah that's bad....

...but it's sestito soooooo :v:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I dunno, putting a huge dude next to EK and inflating his point total might not be a bad move for the sens. They ain't doing much this year, might as well swindle some nice picks out of an idiot gm for a giant with proximity points.

Fake edit: I mean, yeah, they're probably going to make the playoffs because lolantic, but they getting bounded quick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He was a first round pick and based on how much he scores he is probably a real character guy who is good in the room so we'd have to pay up to get him.

It's only fair though. Pierre Dorion learned from Bryan Murray and believes in paying fair value for character players.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

Fake edit: I mean, yeah, they're probably going to make the playoffs because lolantic, but they getting bounded quick.

I definitely see the Sens beating the "THANK YOU SWEENEY" Bruins or Leafs. Fancy Cats or Bolts? Probably not (since they'll have to be on fire to make the playoffs), but they're a long shot at this stage.
And I mean, if it's Habs/Rags in the other match up, I'd be down to give the Sens a red hot chance at that match up too.

Getting back to your point though, anyone who wins through the Atlantic is winning the honour of getting their clocks cleaned by the Pittsburgh Penguins or a "Magic, Bullshit, Voodoo overcoming" Washington Capitals, so who really cares?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Are you sure? He could be the next Zdeno Chara you never know until you play him with Karlsson for half a season.

Wasn't Chara really lovely his first couple years until he started making adjustments to his game in Ottawa?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't Chara really lovely his first couple years until he started making adjustments to his game in Ottawa?

I wouldn't say really lovely, but yes he wasn't great.

There are two big differences between him and every single other monster who gets compared to him though:

1) He played in the early 2000s when you could bearhug a guy and not get called. His inability to score or play with speed was mitigated significantly by the general state of the game.

2) He was a massive exception. Most guys like him end up having nowhere near his level of improvement and flaming out of the league.

Betting on a guy turning out like Chara is a losing bet.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
boris valabik: next chara

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

lmao

I can't really believe it finally happened. It feels weird to look at my Habs jersey and think "our coach is Claude Julien" and realize that there isn't a hard, immovable coaching cap on what the team can do now. Put me down for "still not gonna win the Cup this year" but I'm gonna be watching with a poo poo ton more enthusiasm and interest now

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Why is Adam Oates on the ice in Montreal

Why

No turn left Montreal

FIRE OATES

Edit: private coach for players. Not part of staff. Thanks christ.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

stab posted:

Why is Adam Oates on the ice in Montreal

Why

No turn left Montreal

FIRE OATES

Edit: private coach for players. Not part of staff. Thanks christ.

Lol didn't he get thrown out by another head coach because he crashed a private team practice claiming he had a right to be there as somebody's private coach?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Schlesische posted:

I definitely see the Sens beating the "THANK YOU SWEENEY" Bruins or Leafs. Fancy Cats or Bolts? Probably not (since they'll have to be on fire to make the playoffs), but they're a long shot at this stage.
And I mean, if it's Habs/Rags in the other match up, I'd be down to give the Sens a red hot chance at that match up too.

Getting back to your point though, anyone who wins through the Atlantic is winning the honour of getting their clocks cleaned by the Pittsburgh Penguins or a "Magic, Bullshit, Voodoo overcoming" Washington Capitals, so who really cares?

Well, that's what I mean. Yeah, I can see them beating any team in the Atlantic, but does that really matter in the end? Anderson could get playoff hot and price/hank could let in one goal a game and it would/could be a coin toss. Cats are a bit of an unknown because of the injuries and I don't know what to make of the bolts this year.

In the end, it would take a whole lot to keep a metro team from taking the east. Though I guess all Ottawa really wants is some playoff revenue, so going two rounds, let alone making it to the ECF, would be a huge win.

What I'm trying to say is that Nill is providing to be an idiot and at this point in the season I'd rather talk about other teams than watch the Stars poo poo up the ice for 60 mins.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SportsCentre/status/831991066547146753

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Sorry but that deserves way more than 6

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

honestly, i think this is fine. afaik nyquist has no history of dirtiness, it was obviously a terrible and violent high stick that deserves punishment, but 6 games seems ok to me. i wouldn't be outraged if it was more games, but i have a feeling that for a player like nyquist, missing 6 games is a reasonable deterrent for any future behavior like this

e: i think the DOPS is way too lenient in general, but IMO i want their attention more focused on the headshots, spearing and clipping/slew-footing that we see over and over, often from repeat offenders, that get no supplemental discipline

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 15, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol didn't he get thrown out by another head coach because he crashed a private team practice claiming he had a right to be there as somebody's private coach?

I dunno if he got thrown out of anywhere but IIRC he was pissing off Mike Yeo when he was coach of the Wild.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Chara also had to deal with the embarrassment of playing on a Fisherman Isles team.

That Nyquist suspension is a joke. Chop off his fingers and his toes and also slap his pee-pee

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Considering Nyquist only got a double minor in-game, 6 games is p good

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

In all the history of the NHL there was this one 6 month or so span in 2007 where they actually threw around several suspensions of 20+ games that reflected the actual dangerous behavior players were undertaking. lol

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
HI SAS (and HAS!)

I haven't been in here since last season basically but given the happy occurrence yesterday, I had to come and see if the rest of HAS is as happy as me. What's the over/under on Claude getting shanked the next time he's in Boston? I'm so happy!

Also, that Nyquist suspension is bullshit. If Vermette got 10 games (which he should have), Nyquist should be looking at at least double that.

gently caress YOU THERRIEN!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Suspend Nyquist for the rest of the year, imo.

Tatar too. And Zetterberg. And Mrazek.

They're, uh. Accessories.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And Holland.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Habs paying Julien $5M a year for the next 5 years.

Calling it now, NHL needs a salary cap for coaches

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For that kind of money he better be on the second pairing.

Would be an improvement too.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

grack posted:

Habs paying Julien $5M a year for the next 5 years.

Calling it now, NHL needs a salary cap for coaches

But firing Therrien: Priceless

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Does the NHL still do that thing where Shanahan gives us a 30-second infomercial about every suspension they hand out?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The Nyquist thing is weird to me because I've never seen him do anything like that before. He's not chippy, he's not dirty, and he doesn't really engage in any after the whistle poo poo.

6 games is low for an intentional high stick but I imagine his history protected him a bit.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Slappy Pappy posted:

Does the NHL still do that thing where Shanahan gives us a 30-second infomercial about every suspension they hand out?

https://www.nhl.com/video/nyquist-suspended-six-games/t-277440360/c-49454403

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Slappy Pappy posted:

Shanahan isn't doing them, I think it's all Stephane Quintal now

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

honestly, i think this is fine. afaik nyquist has no history of dirtiness, it was obviously a terrible and violent high stick that deserves punishment, but 6 games seems ok to me. i wouldn't be outraged if it was more games, but i have a feeling that for a player like nyquist, missing 6 games is a reasonable deterrent for any future behavior like this

e: i think the DOPS is way too lenient in general, but IMO i want their attention more focused on the headshots, spearing and clipping/slew-footing that we see over and over, often from repeat offenders, that get no supplemental discipline

Yeah all this. Probably should've been more, but I don't think they necessarily got this wrong just because they get it wrong all the time and we want blood

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So if a player with no history goes Last Boy Scout on the ice, what do they get? Oh, and this players scores goals and is considered a nice guy by all.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Well nothing obviously because they'd be dead

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Okay, minus the suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Portzline has a good article out today about Dave Clarkson

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170214/blue-jackets--david-clarkson-staring-at-harsh-reality

If you don't want to click it the article basically says that Dave Clarkson is hosed

ThinkTank posted:

It's funny how what makes one man laugh can make another weep tears of pure anguish.

• Locked thread