Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah my cat spends a couple hours a day buried under my duvet. I wouldn't worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Domino has been tearing apart boxes lately and leaving chunks of them all over the place. Is that a sign of pica or him just being an rear end in a top hat?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Len posted:

Domino has been tearing apart boxes lately and leaving chunks of them all over the place. Is that a sign of pica or him just being an rear end in a top hat?

Just being an rear end in a top hat. Our cats do that, too.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Momo can crawl out of the blankets, but he's more likely to crawl under them in the first place. He loves the little space between my massive amount of pillows and my mattress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deteriorata posted:

Just being an rear end in a top hat. Our cats do that, too.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Scout eats cardboard as well and leaves bits of it everywhere. It's just cats being dumb cats.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Our cat Sunny would tear into cardboard boxes with both teeth and claws if no one was looking; that stopped after I got her a scratch mat that she liked enough to use regularly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Super Librarian posted:

Our cat Sunny would tear into cardboard boxes with both teeth and claws if no one was looking; that stopped after I got her a scratch mat that she liked enough to use regularly.

My kitten keeps chewing chunks out of the rubber backing on his litter mat.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

she's under the desk now where she spent the first few months I had her

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Organza Quiz posted:

Thank goodness! Must be such a relief. Glad you got her back safely!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What a dummy! :3: How're both cats taking it?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

What a dummy! :3: How're both cats taking it?

Pepper went from Very Alarmed to kind of perturbed to basically chill in the space of an hour, Peridot's tiny walnut brain is still trying to process what the gently caress just happened. I have a vet appointment for her at 9.30 tomorrow morning but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get her into a cat carrier, I guess I'll just have to see how she is in the morning. She's talking a lot more than she did when I first brought her home, I'm not sure what that means.

ETA: yeah we're going to be okay. I coaxed her out with some treats and she's re-exploring a lot. Both of them are very cautious about each other but they worked their poo poo out very efficiently and nicely the first time so I'm not too worried if they have to do that again.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 15, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

:yayclod:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yay for Peridot! I'd been rooting for you/her.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Yesssss you bagged the little jerk! I'm so relieved.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Those are some adorable monsters.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Congrats on re-obtaining your furry idiot!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

:woop: happy it all worked out in the end. Silly cat!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

KITTY GET

I'm so happy you got your loser back

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:toot: !

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So it won't happen until something like a month/month and a half from now but one of the women I work with has a cat she's getting rid of when her boyfriend/fiance/whatever the gently caress goes overseas for the military. By getting rid of I mean the current plan is to put it down because they've tried unsuccessfully for six months to find someone to take it. I talked to my girlfriend about it after work today and she's okay with us taking her in rather than putting it down so if it gets to that point we're getting a second cat.

My concern is Domino does not do other animals. When we first brought him in from outside it was at her moms house and it took him about a week to stop skulking around and hissing at everything. But this time he won't have as big a house to go hide around in because instead of a house it's an apartment. The guys never had any accidents and I'm worried that the stress will cause him to start poopin'/pissin' on things.

Thoughts? I'm wary of the idea but I can't let a cat get put down just because she doesn't want it. Apparently health wise shes in great shape, is declawed and has never been outside a day in her life.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Len posted:

So it won't happen until something like a month/month and a half from now but one of the women I work with has a cat she's getting rid of when her boyfriend/fiance/whatever the gently caress goes overseas for the military. By getting rid of I mean the current plan is to put it down because they've tried unsuccessfully for six months to find someone to take it. I talked to my girlfriend about it after work today and she's okay with us taking her in rather than putting it down so if it gets to that point we're getting a second cat.

My concern is Domino does not do other animals. When we first brought him in from outside it was at her moms house and it took him about a week to stop skulking around and hissing at everything. But this time he won't have as big a house to go hide around in because instead of a house it's an apartment. The guys never had any accidents and I'm worried that the stress will cause him to start poopin'/pissin' on things.

Thoughts? I'm wary of the idea but I can't let a cat get put down just because she doesn't want it. Apparently health wise shes in great shape, is declawed and has never been outside a day in her life.

Cats are usually pretty adaptable. As long as Domino has a place he can rule over as his he'll probably be OK. Cats tend to get very good at ignoring each other after a while.

Give them a chance. There might be a problem, but the odds are low and it's worth the shot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I would say to give it a shot, yeah. At bare minimum, you can at least buy the second cat some time to find a no-kill shelter or other solution, even if it doesn't work out in your home.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Organza Quiz posted:

Hooray! A happy ending.

Did you have the trap set wrong or did it just need the extra weight to preload it?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hooray! A happy ending.

Did you have the trap set wrong or did it just need the extra weight to preload it?

I got the ranger to come over again and replace the lovely trap with a different kind of trap that really was on a hair trigger and would definitely shut the second anything stepped on the plate. So I'm not 100% sure I was setting the first one right but I think I was and it was just a much stiffer mechanism.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Trip report on Gabapentin:
I started my cat on it last night. She was pretty much in a coma from 25mg. I thought she was dead for a minute there in the middle of the night. Half a pill works much better and seems to control her pain.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

it turns out the solution to getting momo to stop chewing on bags is to accidentally get some febreeze on them

so I think if I just get teh febreeze scented trashbags he'll leave them alone and I will no longer have holey trashbags

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Joburg posted:

Trip report on Gabapentin:
I started my cat on it last night. She was pretty much in a coma from 25mg. I thought she was dead for a minute there in the middle of the night. Half a pill works much better and seems to control her pain.

Haha - I take the same medication as your cat for anxiety. Talk about :catdrugs:. Gabapentin is a pretty drat unusual drug though it has a TON of off-label uses.

On another note, reading this thread may be bad for my sanity. That account of Kirby dying (I gave the poor goon advice about that cat, he was real to me in some way!) weirdly hit me hard. I need to get a boyfriend and become less emotionally dependent on my cat, :lol:. I think I'd be crying for days if I actually *found* her lying dead in my house. Even if I found the newer kitty, Sardine, I would be so heartbroken that I do not know WHAT I would do or how I could cope.

I think I've got a slightly unusually strong bond with Jackie because I got her at the same time my life exploded and I had to get clean (of drugs), and lost almost all my friends (the ones I'd met while using which was my entire adult life) so for a while there while I was getting my life together and on unemployment, I was just living with Jackie every single day that winter, and she was my main source of comfort and basically saved my life... I am fairly convinced that if I didn't have her support (and at the time all kinds of awful things were happening - not that I didn't have them coming - and I was very hurt and upset and alone most of the time). I hated myself SO deeply and SO completely, it was overwhelming. if I didn't have this cat constantly reminding me that I'm not alone, that I am loved, and that I am capable of love, was literally what gave me the strength to go through with that it and stay clean. I would have *definitely* gone back to using and would either be dead, in a prison/psych ward, or homeless and barely scraping by and soon to be dead or in prison.

So I dunno - I think when you honestly feel like your cat actually *saved your life*, and I sincerely believe that, it's just very difficult to contemplate losing said cat. I know I'll never have another cat like this one; just the idea that I could find her dead one day inexplicably makes me cry. But then, I've also never truly lost anyone (human or animal) that I've ever truly loved. Probably gonna be tough regardless.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 17, 2017

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

So Peridot has basically completely adjusted back to inside cat life and is greeting me at the door and getting pets just like she used to. It's just about 100% more awkward because Pepper still doesn't seem to know who she is.

I'm imagining Pepper as the star of a sitcom where a total stranger moves into her house and takes over all her stuff and everyone else in the house acts like she's an old friend who's lived there forever and every now and then Pepper just bursts out with WHO ARE YOU?! WHY ARE YOU IN MY HOUSE?!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Our new cat, Raja, has finally deemed my belly worthy enough to sleep on at night. However we noticed one of the stitches from her sterilisation has come open, probably from all the running and playing she does with Cleo. Do we just try to keep it clean and wait it out, or do we rush to the vet? At work right now, so can't post a picture.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Kittens are starting to jump up onto the counters and the spray bottle doesn't seem to be teaching them any lessons.

We bought peppermint oil and put it in certain areas in hopes of deterring them from going there (computer cables) and it doesn't seem to work. I've also tried putting Aluminum foil on jump areas but they just run over it.

Any other effective methods I can try? Considering one of those motion sensor air spray devices.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

m.hache posted:

Kittens are starting to jump up onto the counters and the spray bottle doesn't seem to be teaching them any lessons.

We bought peppermint oil and put it in certain areas in hopes of deterring them from going there (computer cables) and it doesn't seem to work. I've also tried putting Aluminum foil on jump areas but they just run over it.

Any other effective methods I can try? Considering one of those motion sensor air spray devices.

Double-stick tape or tape rolls with sticky side out. You can put them on poster board if you want them portable. Works like a charm with all my cats.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Double-stick tape or tape rolls with sticky side out. You can put them on poster board if you want them portable. Works like a charm with all my cats.

I'll have to give that a shot. They also like to try to climb our blinds so likely double sided tape will be required for that.

Aside from that, Balder pounced on our dog Nyx while she was chewing on a bone. Loud freakout from the pup and the cat vanishes into the entertainment unit only to emerge a few minutes later with the butt wiggle to do it again.

I think they are getting along fairly well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Deteriorata posted:

We tried that with Scout and she didn't give a poo poo, she just thinks it's interesting. When we removed the tape in the end, it was covered in pawprints.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

m.hache posted:

Our cat tried to get on the counters exactly once in our new place. We'd left a bunch of random crap (change, a screwdriver, some empty Coke cans, a couple of scotch tape dispensers) on the counters exactly where she tried to jump. She was frightened by the ruckus of everything scattering and falling and has not tried since.

She also has really bad eyesight and so it helped that she couldn't see what she was getting into when she jumped.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

effika posted:

Our cat tried to get on the counters exactly once in our new place. We'd left a bunch of random crap (change, a screwdriver, some empty Coke cans, a couple of scotch tape dispensers) on the counters exactly where she tried to jump. She was frightened by the ruckus of everything scattering and falling and has not tried since.

She also has really bad eyesight and so it helped that she couldn't see what she was getting into when she jumped.

One of them knocked over a full 2l jug of vinegar and it didn't seem to phase them.

Also, found a bunch of paw prints on the aluminum foil we left on the counters today.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Unless your cat is like my idiot and tries to eat the tape

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I tried all those things to get Shithead to stop sitting on the fishtank and what finally did it was the time he knocked the lid in, fell in, and crushed the fish to death under the lid.

Poor David Bowie ):

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I recently got a new cat, and it turns out she had some serious gum disease from her short life as a kitten on the streets, and now has no teeth

Is there anything I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I recently got a new cat, and it turns out she had some serious gum disease from her short life as a kitten on the streets, and now has no teeth

Is there anything I should know?

Probably not a big deal. Cats don't really use their teeth for eating as much as you'd think; watch one eat sometime and you'll see they're just horfing food down, no chewing. She might prefer soft wet food if she's had mouth pain, but I've known toothless cats with no problems with dry food.