Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

The absolute worst solution that doesn't work is building wider highways, but we keep doing it.
I can't find the news post right now, but I think I recently read something about federal highway funding rules including more human factors than just level of service. Anyone have the details on this?

E: I found the webpage that I read earlier: http://t4america.org/2017/01/12/usdot-rewrites-congestion-rule-in-response-to-overwhelming-criticism/

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

CopperHound posted:

I can't find the news post right now, but I think I recently read something about federal highway funding rules including more human factors than just level of service. Anyone have the details on this?

E: I found the webpage that I read earlier: http://t4america.org/2017/01/12/usdot-rewrites-congestion-rule-in-response-to-overwhelming-criticism/

SEMCOG's (Detroit Metro planning org.) transportation group says they're moving to regularity of travel times than LOS. It's kinda hazy to describe, but it's not about reducing travel time for the average driver (Which I think we've proven you really can't do), it's about making sure it's consistent. There's probably some weird formula that's similar but modified.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So I just drove through Connecticut, Massachusetts and my god the snow is so awful the shoulders are just being cleaned off now. Also, CT loves to put random tunnels in roads, is this a common thing in New England?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The only CT tunnel I can think of is on the Merritt at New Haven and then there's some decking over the highway in Hartford.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, CT has literally one proper tunnel. Lots of bridges though. And a viaduct in Hartford.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Chemmy posted:

The only CT tunnel I can think of is on the Merritt at New Haven and then there's some decking over the highway in Hartford.

That was the one! It was rather imposing!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The ridge features of Connecticut are why making a high speed rail line that doesn't go through the coastline a difficult proposition (aside from populated areas).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is cool
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/an-old-highway-520-crossbeam-could-be-urban-ruins-honoring-anti-freeway-activists/

One day I hope all urban highways can be reduced to such ruins :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Eh that looks pretty stupid. It'd be much nicer for them to make the actual road built on top to be redeveloped into an elevated park, if they're going to be removing it from the road system.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is how you solve medieval city center traffic problems in a modern world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGUcAg4W2hw

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Okay, I have a question. In my town there is a light that has a protected left, but it also flashes yellow with a sign explaining that flashing yellow means left turn must yield, you know, for the morons! The thing is, the light will sometimes be flashing yellow when the through lanes are still red. Is this some kind of mistake, or can I turn left on red because of that stupid arrow? It seems like an odd thing so I never tried.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

sleepy.eyes posted:

Okay, I have a question. In my town there is a light that has a protected left, but it also flashes yellow with a sign explaining that flashing yellow means left turn must yield, you know, for the morons! The thing is, the light will sometimes be flashing yellow when the through lanes are still red. Is this some kind of mistake, or can I turn left on red because of that stupid arrow? It seems like an odd thing so I never tried.
It is legal to make an unprotected left turn under a flashing left turn yellow arrow if there is no conflicting traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, even if through traffic has a solid red. The only time this occurs is if both the oncoming and left turn phases are active for opposing traffic. Through traffic has to be held, due to the protected left phase given to oncoming traffic, but a left would still be "safe" under certain conditions, due to the typical "yield" nature of an unprotected left versus oncoming traffic.

The purpose of the flashing yellow arrow is to indicate to left/right turn drivers that they may enter the intersection and complete their turn after yielding to conflicting traffic. This prevents the "yellow trap," where the through traffic light turns red, but oncoming still has a green (people assume oncoming traffic is stopping, because their traffic is stopping, then *crash*). It's something traffic engineers have wanted to do for a while, but couldn't, due to the limitations of the old 5-aspect "doghouse" signal. No point in making you make an entire cycle if you got to an intersection 1 second too late if there's no oncoming traffic.

Under no circumstance should you enter an intersection under flashing yellow, unless you know you can make it all the way through without stopping. The old "squat in the intersection then make a left when the arrow turns red" is NOT legal under a flashing yellow arrow in most of the states that have them.

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 25, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As far as I can tell, in my country this has been solved by giving every intersection with specific left-turn stoplights a separate left-turn phase.

Seems to prevent a lot of dangerous situations, but being used to that does mean that whenever I cross the border, their "left gets green while incoming has green" always trips me up.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Indeed. In Belgium they don't always do that, so the first time I encountered that kind of left turn I ended up blocking the oncoming traffic... In the Netherlands it's very simple - when you have the green light in a car, the way is clear, unless there are additional warning lights to watch for peds or cyclists. But not for other cars.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

fishmech posted:

Eh that looks pretty stupid. It'd be much nicer for them to make the actual road built on top to be redeveloped into an elevated park, if they're going to be removing it from the road system.

Which would be vastly more expensive then leaving a small section standing as a reminder.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sri.Theo posted:

Which would be vastly more expensive then leaving a small section standing as a reminder.

You think the demolition of the rest of the stuff is free or something? Part of the reason those elevated parks exist is that repurposing existing elevated structures can be very cheap, especially if you don't plan to undertake elaborate landscaping on the elevated structure.

They're often structures that can handle supporting their own weight and the weight of some people and vegetation just fine, they'd only become a problem for durability if you were to keep running tractor trailers or trains or whatever other heavy equipment they were originally meant for. So costs tend to be down to building access stairways/ramps from street level after doing limited demolition work to sever whatever road or rail connections originally fed into it.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 27, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hello from AI!

Anyone want to weigh in if I'm being a moron merging into a highway exit in the way I am describing here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568842&pagenumber=535&perpage=40#post470094878

Specifically I am talking about IL Route 41 South merging into I-55. Thanks!

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 7, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you're merging like the purple guy in that example, you're being a gigantic douchebag and should kill yourself.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Could you post a map or link to one because there is no Illinois Route 51. From what you're describing in the thread you sound like a total jackass who should be pushed into a ditch.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If you're merging like the purple guy in that example, you're being a gigantic douchebag and should kill yourself.

Definitely not like that. However, I've already found the answer is to merge as soon as safe, not try to zipper merge there. Nevermind!

Also it was U.S. Route 41 in IL, my mistake.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 7, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cities should save money by using smaller signs.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
If you thought your local city council meetings were bad, be glad you're not in a country where people have nothing more pressing to discuss: https://vimeo.com/207997372

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I would talk for 10+ hours to defend the honour of trams. gently caress the tram haters and their insane arguments.
It also sounds like the project already passed, what are they arguing about? An expansion? http://www.tampere.fi/en/city-of-tampere/info/current-issues/2016/11/10112016_1.html

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 13, 2017

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

It also sounds like the project already passed, what are they arguing about? An expansion? http://www.tampere.fi/en/city-of-tampere/info/current-issues/2016/11/10112016_1.html
That was from the October 24th meeting.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I expect lunacy like that from public comment, but those were all council members?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm still having trouble getting over 67 council members for a town I've never heard of.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
In a small enough community, I suppose the competency for politics is as hard to come by as other competencies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some towns have ridiculously big councils in the name of "local representation". More members = more democracy and representation, the more local the government the better. Who cares if meetings take multiple days to talk about the parking variance the drug store wants, gotta make sure every possible opinion is given hours and hours to talk.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I swear the only reason our local big city still has parking space requirements is so they can drag every project before the zoning board for a variance. They certainly don't actually want anyone to put in parking lots downtown.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

smackfu posted:

I swear the only reason our local big city still has parking space requirements is so they can drag every project before the zoning board for a variance. They certainly don't actually want anyone to put in parking lots downtown.

That's not uncommon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm still having trouble getting over 67 council members for a town I've never heard of.

It's the third largest city in Finland, with 230,000 people in the city proper or so. It's also never happened to get a public transport system within the city other than buses. Between independence from Imperial Russia and World War II, various plans were made for a tram system but none were actually completed before the Great Depression put them on hold and the wars with the Soviets and WWII in general also put it on hold. After the wars, they instead built a trolley-bus network but all those routes were reverted to regular bus service after a few decades.

They also haven't really had proper commuter rail, although the various intercity rail routes to elsewhere in Finland have a few schedules and stations that kind of work for that. They do plan to build a commuter rail system using existing tracks and new stations though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But train wheels hurt children more than bus wheels, ban trains.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://creators.vice.com/en_us/article/meet-the-artist-using-ritual-magic-to-trap-self-driving-cars
Ancient magic stops lets you bind self driving cars to this plane allowing you to make a skill check to subvert them to your cause.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I had to check what thread I was in after that.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

yikes:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/large-fire-shuts-down-interstate/507589453

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Looks like georgia needs cc myers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I guess that bridge wasn't made of steel beams.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
In other news, Cycle superhighway 6 is being extended in London. Which is good when you look at the numbers it's carrying now. https://twitter.com/e14cyclist/status/848206815104053249.

I do wonder how useful consultations are though, as they have become seen as almost legitimising schemes in London these days outside of the democratic process. https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/west-smithfield/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

I guess that bridge wasn't made of steel beams.

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Does car noise increase with car speed? I am curious because I tend to see lower limits on urban highways vs rural highways and I am wondering if that is a reason (drove through central CT and the I-84/i91 interchange)