Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I checked out my Amex corp card end of year review. It's a pretty neat breakdown of all spending. I spent $23k on airfare alone flying coach on >140 flights and $4500 on hertz.

If only I could consolidate that airfare onto one carrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

What do ya'll recommend as far as travel chargers and batteries go? I have two phones and two laptops....

Jettison a laptop, get an iPad for personal stuff. http://amzn.to/2li43dK is a good charger, http://amzn.to/2lkcNQe is a good travel power outlet thing. If you're in Miami and doing lots of Texas, you'll probably be on AA a lot. The American Express Centurion Club in the AA terminal at MIA is way better than either AAdmiral's Club.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Flying biz on KLM in April. 787 one way thankfully, but 2-2-2 777 the other. Anyone have a seat preference for solo travel? I usually like sitting by the window, but aisle access would be nice.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Holy batman Kansas City airport is a pit. Not many food options, no pre-check, each gate has its own security, and a cramped, outlet-less waiting area.

Apparently infrastructure improvements are very controversial so nothing major is going to be done soon.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Flying biz on KLM in April. 787 one way thankfully, but 2-2-2 777 the other. Anyone have a seat preference for solo travel? I usually like sitting by the window, but aisle access would be nice.

If you're in the middle two, nobody will need to step over you and you won't need to step over them either. Daytime flight?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I'm flying Economy Comfort on KLM's 787 in a few months. I could not get my upgrade confirmed, and it's killing me. The business cabin looks fantastic.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

taco show posted:

Holy batman Kansas City airport is a pit. Not many food options, no pre-check, each gate has its own security, and a cramped, outlet-less waiting area.

Apparently infrastructure improvements are very controversial so nothing major is going to be done soon.

KC loving blows but I had great bbq in the city so I can't complain. Ther terminals are a joke, but I made it through security in 30 seconds. They had outlet stations plugged into wall outlets set up at my gate though.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Jettison a laptop, get an iPad for personal stuff. http://amzn.to/2li43dK is a good charger, http://amzn.to/2lkcNQe is a good travel power outlet thing. If you're in Miami and doing lots of Texas, you'll probably be on AA a lot. The American Express Centurion Club in the AA terminal at MIA is way better than either AAdmiral's Club.

Thanks for this.

I'm doing MIA-CLT-IND-TAMPA-MIA next week Monday to Fri wooooooo all on American.

I'm not sure if I want to open a bunch of cards...I just got chase sapphire but if I'm traveling this much I feel like I'm just pissing away money and free poo poo

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

Tokyo - Sapporo gets a ton of wide bodies every day, and that flight is an hour and change. Last couple of times I went to book it, I saw a bunch of 777's as options.

I'm not sure about the Japanese domestic flight service, but even for these short-haul domestic flights many airlines still do a full meal service in business class and it's even nicer in the premium seats. I flew Sydney to Melbourne on Qantas, and they had the A330 running this route and it was fantastic. Hong Kong to Taipei on Cathay Pacific was also excellent: I think certain flight timings they even have First Class. Beijing to Shanghai (Hongqiao) also receives the same.

It's basically like the premium JFK-LAX/SFO transcon flights in the US, even though that was a recent development.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

I'm flying Economy Comfort on KLM's 787 in a few months. I could not get my upgrade confirmed, and it's killing me. The business cabin looks fantastic.

EDIT: I lied. Got my KLM 787 upgrade confirmed. Thanks Delta!!!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cocoa Crispies posted:

There is a lounge in MIA Terminal E with a nice booze selection. I got in due to flying on AA Transcon F (got it relatively cheaply for $900 r/t) but I think they are taking Admirals Club memberships too. http://www.miami-airport.com/vip_premium_lounge.asp

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mandalay posted:

There is a lounge in MIA Terminal E with a nice booze selection. I got in due to flying on AA Transcon F (got it relatively cheaply for $900 r/t) but I think they are taking Admirals Club memberships too. http://www.miami-airport.com/vip_premium_lounge.asp

The Centurion Club has had two different kinds of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte every time I've been there.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The Centurion Club has had two different kinds of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte every time I've been there.

That sounds nice. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't fly enough to AmEx lounge airports to justify the card's annual fee.

This lounge had Tattinger champagne and Glenlivet, Tito's, Grey Goose, etc. All self-pour.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

taco show posted:

MCI is much better when you realize you only need to show up 30 minutes before your flight.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I live in and fly out of Miami and it's like my least favorite airport ever. It's a dirty shithole.

I really like Houston's airport but also hate the city. I have similar feelings about Orlando.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've been flying into Minneapolis a lot lately and terminal 1 is ok but holy poo poo they must have passed all the sign design and positioning off onto the intern.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Rex-Goliath posted:

I've been flying into Minneapolis a lot lately and terminal 1 is ok but holy poo poo they must have passed all the sign design and positioning off onto the intern.

Useful signs would not fit with the carefully curated mall aesthetic.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Bruichladdich is the best. The Centurion Lounge in LGA makes a great cocktail with it ("Port Charlotte's Web"), although when drinking them neat I prefer the Classic Laddie.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mandalay posted:

It's a non-Admirals Club oneworld lounge, so it goes by the complicated oneworld access rules.

Which means you can get in if:

1. you're flying any oneworld flight (including domestic flights) in any cabin and you are a oneworld sapphire/emerald that is not AAdvantage
2. you're flying internationally in any cabin as an AAdvantage Platinum and up (but international does not include Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, except Mexico City)
3. you're flying First MIA-LAX in the 3-cabin configured planes

Since they got rid of the Flagship Lounges at MIA, this is currently the best oneworld lounge run by AA there, which might not be saying much.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rex-Goliath posted:

Minneapolis is the worst Delta hub.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

I live in and fly out of Miami and it's like my least favorite airport ever. It's a dirty shithole.

It's completely terminal-dependent. The AA and Delta airsides are nice and shiny, United's terminal sucks rear end and swallows.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's completely terminal-dependent. The AA and Delta airsides are nice and shiny, United's terminal sucks rear end and swallows.

The Delta side is a bit weird, straddled between international airlines that don't even partner with them. I flew SAS for their inaugural Miami to Copenhagen flight a few months ago and they were using the Avianca lounge all the other way on one concourse (next to the LATAM lounge that's also Priority Pass), and so I just ended up using the Delta Sky Club which was a lot closer to the gate.

But you're totally right about United. They're in the dingiest little terminal with the grossest carpet and low ceilings and it's isolated from all the other gates, so if you're connecting at all, you need to re-clear security again.

Residency Evil posted:

Minneapolis is the worst Delta hub.
Absolutely not. Salt Lake City is way worse, by far. MSP is actually quite decent.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

i fly airplanes posted:

Absolutely not. Salt Lake City is way worse, by far. MSP is actually quite decent.

I don't fly through Salt Lake much, but for Minneapolis I'm still traumatized by the time I ran from the end of A to somewhere in F, in dress shoes, like a crazy person, only to have the plane pull away in front of me as I got there.

Minneapolis's layout is miserable compared to the greatness of Detroit.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 16, 2017

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

i fly airplanes posted:

What's it like to be so wrong? MSP is a festering shithole and I'd almost rather be in the bus terminal part of LGA.

DTW/ATL for life.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MSP ain't that bad and they do have a have decent tram.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

DJCobol posted:

What's it like to be so wrong? MSP is a festering shithole and I'd almost rather be in the bus terminal part of LGA.

DTW/ATL for life.

I'm partial for Senator Larry Craig and the now-demolished memorial restroom

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

i fly airplanes posted:

Well I certainly can't fault you for that. I do love the talk of strictly Minnesota things like hot dish and ice fishing one one of the 10,000 lakes while I'm there.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

i fly airplanes posted:

So tell us about the quality of service there :giggity:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

So tell us about the quality of service there :giggity:

I only fly full service airlines :smug:

https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/subject_areas/airline_information/airline_ontime_tables/2016_12/table_04

good job delta

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is there a chart with flight on time % according to flight capacity segments? So Salt Lake City is 15th busiest airport in the US and is unfair to compare with JFK/LGA

And how do US flights count on time? Chinese airports are atrocious and have early boarding but let the passengers rot on the tarmac because the flight is considered "on time" without needing to pay for travel insurance delay

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Secret to MSP now that I never go: in the central mall segment, next to the Delta club there is an elevator to the second floor. Then there is a sitting area with outlets above the riff Raff and almost nobody other than employees knows about it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

FunOne posted:

Secret to MSP now that I never go: in the central mall segment, next to the Delta club there is an elevator to the second floor. Then there is a sitting area with outlets above the riff Raff and almost nobody other than employees knows about it.

I'll post a trip report in a couple weeks.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

i fly airplanes posted:

It's a non-Admirals Club oneworld lounge, so it goes by the complicated oneworld access rules.

Which means you can get in if:

1. you're flying any oneworld flight (including domestic flights) in any cabin and you are a oneworld sapphire/emerald that is not AAdvantage
2. you're flying internationally in any cabin as an AAdvantage Platinum and up (but international does not include Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, except Mexico City)
3. you're flying First MIA-LAX in the 3-cabin configured planes

Since they got rid of the Flagship Lounges at MIA, this is currently the best oneworld lounge run by AA there, which might not be saying much.

I think AA opened it to the masses when there was construction at an Admirals Club. Not sure what current status is.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

SLC at least has a pool table in the Gordon Biersch and is 15m from downtown.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
LGA is the worst Delta hub BY FAR.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FunOne posted:

Yeah I found this by accident once and it's great. If you want some quiet time seek this out

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Does American allow you to credit tickets purchased for family members on the same flight to your AAdvantage account?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

LGA is the worst Delta hub BY FAR.

It's not even close. The sky club is nice, but that's about it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

LaGuardia is like a third world country, I love the dozens of buckets out to catch water every time it rains. Just like China.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

FunOne posted:

There's stairs to, you don't have to take the elevator. You can also access it from the stairs across from French Meadow on the other side of the mall. Though if you come from that side you feel kind of weird walking by a bunch of TSA offices.

I'm a big fan of that area, I've never seen more than 3 people there at once and most of the time I've gone up I've had it totally to myself. Though one time it was me and a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

psydude posted:

Does American allow you to credit tickets purchased for family members on the same flight to your AAdvantage account?

No?