Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Question: should my Harley be able to switch into neutral from 1st?

I ask, because, after owning it for nearly half a year, I still can only get it there by shifting up to 2nd, then halfing down to neutral.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yes it should. Check your primary chain tension. Difficulty getting into neutral is indicative of loose or tight primary chain.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks Clutch

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Uh, also make sure your clutch cable is set right. Too much slack makes it hard to find N.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Can any Heritage Softail Classic (or equivalent) owners check which hex tool size I'd need to remove the heel shifter? I'll be riding a HSC soon and I want to have the right tool on me in advance. I've done it before, but can't even remember if it's metric or imperial.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

You are a monster.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

epalm posted:

Can any Heritage Softail Classic (or equivalent) owners check which hex tool size I'd need to remove the heel shifter? I'll be riding a HSC soon and I want to have the right tool on me in advance. I've done it before, but can't even remember if it's metric or imperial.

1/4" (S.A.E.)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What is wrong with you, jesus.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

What is wrong with you, jesus.

Replace your engine mounts with something proper:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

its the wrench that fits all sizes

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone a member of a local H.O.G. chapter? Just curious about some opinions on them or if it is better to just look for other riding groups in the area.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Bogieman posted:

Anyone a member of a local H.O.G. chapter? Just curious about some opinions on them or if it is better to just look for other riding groups in the area.

I was made a member when I bought my Harley from the dealership, but I never ever did anything with it.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Generally Hog stuff is limited to short dealer rides and marketing in my area. If you aren't a dentist look at you local meetup groups and see if you can find something active. There are 3 non-brand specific bike groups in my area that are very active. Plus most meetup groups are cheap/free so you aren't out anything if you don't enjoy it.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks. Was just curious. Did a ton of solo riding last year and it was a lot of fun but figured I would try and meet up with a few other people to learn where more cool rides are around me. I'll check meetup, not sure why I didn't think of that since it works good for my other hobby of playing space war with miniatures.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
So I've been on SA for years and just a few years ago started riding, and discovered this thread today. My first bike was an 883 (yeah, let the jokes flow). I moved up to a Road King last year, and I think I want to get a Street Glide this year.

I'm on the fence. I really want navigation and music while I ride. Is a Street Glide the best option for this?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bear is driving! posted:

So I've been on SA for years and just a few years ago started riding, and discovered this thread today. My first bike was an 883 (yeah, let the jokes flow). I moved up to a Road King last year, and I think I want to get a Street Glide this year.

I'm on the fence. I really want navigation and music while I ride. Is a Street Glide the best option for this?

What about a SENA?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I have a ScalaRider Q3 personally. I know the allure of having stuff like that built in... and it's your money... but I wouldn't buy a bike for that feature, when you can get it on any bike with a helmet-speaker and a smartphone cradle.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

I have a ScalaRider Q3 personally. I know the allure of having stuff like that built in... and it's your money... but I wouldn't buy a bike for that feature, when you can get it on any bike with a helmet-speaker and a smartphone cradle.

This. The stuff that's built in is not as good as a Garmin and an aftermarket audio system, either. Depending on the year of your Road King, it's not much of an advantage going to a Street Glide in my opinion. Unless, you're going from the older frame pre-2007 to a newer style Street Glide.

I personally like the ability to remove the windshield on the Road King and that's why I'll probably never go to a full fairing bike. Your other option, if you like the fairing look and built-in electronics, is to go with a detachable fairing with the head unit/navigation and speakers built into the fairing.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

builds character posted:

What about a SENA?

I have a SENA. It's the cat's tits. I use the SMH10R and it's surprising how well you can hear music and participate in calls while ripping up the highway.

Personally if I wanted speakers and a dashboard I'd just drive my car.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

There's definitely a cool factor to riding a hugeass highway bike through the city blasting music.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The cool factor starts and ends in your mind, though. Everyone else just sees a dick blasting Abba in a maelstrom of awkwardness.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

bear is driving! posted:

Road Glide is always a better option than Street Glide.

But what the other folks said, you can get in-helmet audio and a legit GPS for a lot less than the cost of a new FL.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There is also a Harley branded Sena if you really want the logo.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Thanks for all the replies. I honestly never even thought about a headset. I don't usually ride with a full helmet, though. I have one, but I mainly ride with my Akoury AK88 (since it's so low profile). Any headset recommendations for a half helmet like that?

Edit: Looks like Sena makes one specifically for half helmets, the Sena SPH10H.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 16, 2017

tjones
May 13, 2005

bear is driving! posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I honestly never even thought about a headset. I don't usually ride with a full helmet, though. I have one, but I mainly ride with my Akoury AK88 (since it's so low profile). Any headset recommendations for a half helmet like that?

Do you wear ear plugs with that helmet?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I wore one of those tiny helmets once as a joke years ago on my '93 CBR1000f. I never realized how loving loud my bike was at the time, until then.

I don't want to turn this into a helmet debate too much, but I've seen enough facial carnage just to say : PLEASE wear at LEAST a 3/4 helmet.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

tjones posted:

Do you wear ear plugs with that helmet?

I used to ride with that same style of helmet. I dunno about y'all's bikes, but my pipes output is behind my ears, so I never had trouble with it being loud. Maybe while sitting still, but definitely not while riding. Wind noise was greatly mitigated by my windshield.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if you're compromising looks and chopper cred enough to consider a fairing bike or GPS i honestly don't get why you wouldn't get a full helmet

like, if we're talking highway comforts having the wind off your face and ears is p nice, even aside from the safety benefits

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bear is driving! posted:

I've put a sena 20s on a half helmet before. It's fine, although you're always going to have an issue with any microphone in the wind at speed.

tjones
May 13, 2005

HaB posted:

I used to ride with that same style of helmet. I dunno about y'all's bikes, but my pipes output is behind my ears, so I never had trouble with it being loud. Maybe while sitting still, but definitely not while riding. Wind noise was greatly mitigated by my windshield.

I run a Sena SMH-10 in a full face Arai. The unit itself is loud as gently caress, but even so, with all my vents open, at a highway speed or greater, any music/audio that isn't mixed well gets hard to hear when I'm wearing plugs even at max volume for the sena unit and bt transmitter. It's been years since I've worn anything other than a full face, but I'd imagine the ability to hear any audio clearly through a headset that is designed to work with a half shell might offer even less.

Pipes come in all configurations, some insanely loud even at speed, and a lot of people prefer to forgo the windshield. As far as not wearing a full face or not wearing plugs, I don't care what other people prefer. Bear might want to consider these points if he hasn't already.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

tjones posted:

I run a Sena SMH-10 in a full face Arai. The unit itself is loud as gently caress, but even so, with all my vents open, at a highway speed or greater, any music/audio that isn't mixed well gets hard to hear when I'm wearing plugs even at max volume for the sena unit and bt transmitter. It's been years since I've worn anything other than a full face, but I'd imagine the ability to hear any audio clearly through a headset that is designed to work with a half shell might offer even less.

Pipes come in all configurations, some insanely loud even at speed, and a lot of people prefer to forgo the windshield. As far as not wearing a full face or not wearing plugs, I don't care what other people prefer. Bear might want to consider these points if he hasn't already.

Yeah I roll in a Biltwell full face now, but if I don't have the shield on it - it's louder than my half helmet was, as far as wind noise goes. I guess that shape funnels it right over my ears. I don't like the idea of riding with music at all, honestly - I'd rather be able to hear what's around me, but that probably makes me weird. I don't even like walking around outside or jogging with headphones on.

v:grin:v

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Having speakers in the helmet is WAY different than riding with headphones in, you can hear everything no problem.

I pretty much can't ride my bike without earplugs+full face. It's so insanely loud even with earplugs out, I can't even fathom how long my ears would ring if I just wore a little skid lid, but to each his own I guess?

simble
May 11, 2004

As someone who laid his 2013 fat boy down about 2 weeks ago at highway speeds (got cut off in the HOV lane by a guy going 0mph in the #1 lane), wear a loving full faced helmet (I was). Also wear riding pants, jacket and gloves. </preach>

Also I had a Sena and I rode with a full faced helmet, Sena plus foam or rubber earplugs. Still felt like I could hear everything around me and I could hear the podcast (talking) I was listening to clearly. Also the phone quality on the Sena is amazing no one ever knew I was talking to them while riding at 65mph unless I told them so.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

bear is driving! posted:

A full face helmet and a Sena setup are still less expensive than a Street Glide

But you should still get a Road Glide instead

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Ann I the only one that thinks Road Glides are ugly?

Like the fairing on the streetglide and ultra but not the RG.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Less steering weight on the road glide. Less truck wash influence on the handlebar with the frame mounted fairing.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Well between you guys and my wife, I think I'm talked out of a Street Glide. I test rode a few today and it wasn't quite the ride I had thought it would be.

I also road a 2012 Softail CVO Convertible today (the Satin Pewter Catacomb design). Holy hell is that a much different bike. It's a 110 which really kicked me in the rear end when I rolled on the throttle.

I looked at quite a few today, but that was my favorite by far. It's actually sitting in my driveway right now, the dealer told me to take it home for the weekend and see how I like it.

Right now I'm still on the fence. I'm either gonna buy the Softail and put some short pipes on it or keep my Road King and throw some new pipes and other parts on it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Less steering weight on the road glide. Less truck wash influence on the handlebar with the frame mounted fairing.

Yeah, that's a good point. But you haven't lived until you pass a semi at 75 mph in 40 mph Oklahoma crosswind and feel the headshake from hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
:wtc:

I just spent about 45m reading most of a harley davidson thread with no "lolz chrome tractors!" constant trolling.

In AI.

And this thread... a harley davidson thread, has made it FORTY SEVEN PAGES. With no trolling? Not like every other post at least?!

What the gently caress? It's like bizarro "opposite AI" day or something reading this. The mind boggles. :iiam:

I like it!

I think Dilligaf and I were the only (admitted) harley owners for years and years. I still have my 03, but thinking of selling. If someone showed up with a 6-71 and some kaase p-51 aluminums and a cam for a bbf I would hand the keys over in a heartbeat. Nice to see a thread like this though has been up and survived this long! I remember there was like Dill with his crazy "hacked my poo poo apart and made a piece of art", myself, and a guy named neckhole who had a sporty then got rid of it. I can't think of any harleys otherwise back then. Redscare on a harley? Man I am shocked. :)

P.S. 9 years constant year round, sporadic/summers only 5 years since. Never had a problem. Great bikes. :cool:

• Locked thread