Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Rhoemer 1-5, we've lost control of the package. Recover it at all costs, we can't afford to lose that material to LOGAN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Truly, there is no greater shame for a man than in losing control of his package.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Random_Username posted:

Truly, there is no greater shame for a man than in losing control of his package.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Talow posted:

That officer was in the middle of taking a nap with his feet on the chest, and was too lazy to get up. That's what I think happened anyway.

I would like to request a piece of fan art depicing an Advent officer sitting with his legs up, shooting his rifle while aiming down sights.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I liked the arcade cabinet in that building where the officer was stuck. That was their break room :allears:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Random_Username posted:

It is well deserved due to not going with Hard Gay's Cummings instead of this mission.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm fairly certain Jade got extra loot because of the unconsciousness revival mechanics. Data packages from objectives function a lot like dropped loot and there used to be a bug where if you killed a lootable enemy and they were revived as a psi-zombie you got a second loot drop when it died. Soldiers survive those situations so rarely I wouldn't be surprised if they missed that particular action when fixing the code.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

deadly_pudding posted:

I liked the arcade cabinet in that building where the officer was stuck. That was their break room :allears:

To be fair, the konami code is very valuable intelligence. Why, the resistance would be unstoppable with cheats active!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Kwyndig posted:

I'm fairly certain Jade got extra loot because of the unconsciousness revival mechanics. Data packages from objectives function a lot like dropped loot and there used to be a bug where if you killed a lootable enemy and they were revived as a psi-zombie you got a second loot drop when it died. Soldiers survive those situations so rarely I wouldn't be surprised if they missed that particular action when fixing the code.

It is also possible the last enemy (aka the stuck officer) dropped loot. It's easy to miss.

Remember: You automatically pick up loot in missions you do not manually have to go to an EVAC zone to leave. As such, the "kill all ayyys" mission such as these give you corpses (like the sectopod wreck), and even the timed upgrades.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I've had a captive VIP/rescue target spawn inside a toilet. He was unable to be extracted. Now, since this was in Long War 2, there were multiple targets for extraction, so I could still get a partial success, but I felt pretty bad when Advent gunned him down on the crapper.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Yami Fenrir posted:

It is also possible the last enemy (aka the stuck officer) dropped loot. It's easy to miss.

As far as I know, there's only one enemy that will drop loot per mission, and there was already another loot drop this mission.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

pun pundit posted:

As far as I know, there's only one enemy that will drop loot per mission, and there was already another loot drop this mission.

It isn't! I've had multiple drops per mission, sometimes even up to 3. If anything it's limited to one enemy per pod.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Yami Fenrir posted:

It isn't! I've had multiple drops per mission, sometimes even up to 3. If anything it's limited to one enemy per pod.

Uh no, it's supposed to be once per mission. There are mods that change this however, such as LONG WAR 2.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I've had 2 sequencial pods drop 2 items in my unmodded game. Might be :xcom: but it might also not?

Maybe it's just blowing up too many people? I've found that the loot destroyed message is easy to miss.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hate sectopods because you absolutely must have an answer for them immediately on activation unless they decide to charge their artillery which is their "waste a turn" move.

Once they start doing stuff they're nearly impossible to avoid taking hits from since they just go up on stilts and say gently caress you to your cover.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Fabricated posted:

I hate sectopods because you absolutely must have an answer for them immediately on activation unless they decide to charge their artillery which is their "waste a turn" move.

Once they start doing stuff they're nearly impossible to avoid taking hits from since they just go up on stilts and say gently caress you to your cover.

My answer to them are Bluescreen Gunslingers. You chuck one acid bomb at them, and then they just melt to the ridiculous amount of shots, each of which tears off a huge chunk of its hp due to the Bluescreen bonus appliying EVERY SHOT. Hell, personally I ONLY use gunslingers since so many missions require you to keep moving.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 15, 2017

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Between how well that went, and unexpected solutions to unexpected troubles, we're not losing a solder for the rest of the run; are we?

When I saw the sectapod aim, I thought it was going to try to take the overpass down. Thinking back on my own run, I don't think I've ever seen the AI tactically destroy terrain. Do they ever explicitly blow up cars/barrels/cover or do they always go for a body?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 15, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chuu posted:

Between how well that went, and unexpected solutions to unexpected troubles, we're not losing a solder for the rest of the run; are we?

Just you wait, next mission will be an almost total wipe.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
In honesty I'd say we've passed the point of most casualties. RIP Lobster, but once you can get soldiers into armor their life expectancy should skyrocket. Before you have armor one good crit could kill a low level soldier. Or two regular hits could kill a soldier. Once you have basic armor the chance of losing a soldier in one alien turn goes down significantly. You can still get crit, flanked, or dog piled, but the odds that I lose a 15hp soldier with a point or two of armor in an single turn is fairly slim. Things need to go pretty bad to open up soldiers to potential death by this point.

I guess the short version of all this is that soldier casualty rate is highest at the start of the game and tends to decline, barring catastrophic gently caress ups or Unexpected Troubles.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Unexpected Trouble is, like, your middle name, though.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Chuu posted:

When I saw the sectapod aim, I thought it was going to try to take the overpass down. Thinking back on my own run, I don't think I've ever seen the AI tactically destroy terrain. Do they ever explicitly blow up cars/barrels/cover or do they always go for a body?

This is entirely based on untested memory, but it feels like explosive attackers prioritize targets who they can really mess up - two guys on a roof that they can blow up and plunge two stories for 18 damage apiece are preferable to three people on a ground floor who'll just take the basic rocket damage - but it's possible the AI isn't actually that smart. I do believe they'll always target people, though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

This is entirely based on untested memory, but it feels like explosive attackers prioritize targets who they can really mess up - two guys on a roof that they can blow up and plunge two stories for 18 damage apiece are preferable to three people on a ground floor who'll just take the basic rocket damage - but it's possible the AI isn't actually that smart. I do believe they'll always target people, though.

The AI prioritizes multiple targets over singles with explosive and area attacks. Past that I don't know because I've never had a situation with a split party like you're describing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Unexpected Trouble is, like, your middle name, though.
Fortunately for Jade Star, the biggest Unexpected Trouble is already dead, slain by a single bullet from Ciaphas Cain.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Fortunately for Jade Star, the biggest Unexpected Trouble is already dead, slain by a single bullet from Ciaphas Cain.

I like to think that Vahlen was being mind controlled but had enough evil and trickery in her heart to include a big self-destruct button on her creations.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Jade got the loot because the dropped loot was still active on map finish. As someone has said, I believe. There wasn't extra loot, it was just the loot that was dropped was really good. When you finish a mission you can recover bodies on, you automatically get any loot that isn't picked up but hasn't expired. I'm not sure where people keep hearing the inverse from.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

JT Jag posted:

Hey, it was a Hail of Bullets.

64bitrobot posted:

Jade got the loot because the dropped loot was still active on map finish. As someone has said, I believe. There wasn't extra loot, it was just the loot that was dropped was really good. When you finish a mission you can recover bodies on, you automatically get any loot that isn't picked up but hasn't expired. I'm not sure where people keep hearing the inverse from.

Thing about this though, is that loot dropped from a ADVENT and Talow scooped it up. It was a superior repeater and PCS Speed, this is evident at 32:57 in the video. Then at the end of the mission I had also found a stock and an expanded magazine, shown at 36:12. Where did the stock and magazine come from? It didn't come from aliens dropping more loot, there was no active loot laying around on the map like a couple people are saying. There was one drop from a kill, which Talow picked up and was shown to be a repeater and a PCS. No where is a second drop made by killing ADVENT. The only guess I can put forth is that hacking the objective somehow got me a stock and a magazine. I don't know for sure but 'it was lying on the ground at mission end' isn't right, or if it is, please point me to the time of the video where a second loot drop is made.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 16, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interestingly, if you get Hail of Bullets on a sniper from the AWC you can use it as a pseudo-Snap Shot with none of the penalties. And there's an excellent chance you have an expanded magazine on your sniper anyway. Saved my bacon so many times in my first playthrough.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Jade Star posted:

Thing about this though, is that loot dropped from a ADVENT and Talow scooped it up. It was a superior repeater and PCS Speed, this is evident at 32:57 in the video. Then at the end of the mission I had also found a stock and an expanded magazine, shown at 36:12. Where did the stock and magazine come from? It didn't come from aliens dropping more loot, there was no active loot laying around on the map like a couple people are saying. There was one drop from a kill, which Talow picked up and was shown to be a repeater and a PCS. No where is a second drop made by killing ADVENT. The only guess I can put forth is that hacking the objective somehow got me a stock and a magazine. I don't know for sure but 'it was lying on the ground at mission end' isn't right, or if it is, please point me to the time of the video where a second loot drop is made.

Does Emphenada's gun have a stock and a magazine? That's pretty much the only thing I think anyone hasn't covered, that by getting 'killed' and getting back up, he somehow picked up a copy of his mods from his gun.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Does Emphenada's gun have a stock and a magazine? That's pretty much the only thing I think anyone hasn't covered, that by getting 'killed' and getting back up, he somehow picked up a copy of his mods from his gun.
Empanada only had a repeater, as he executed an Archon back in Operation Unfortunate Granola.

So either the game spawned extra loot for Jade out of thin air, or Talow picked up the magazine and stock with the dropped loot but the game didn't acknowledge he did until the post-mission rundown.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I just assumed the loot dropped from the last enemy on the map as well. So it didn't actually show up since the mission was over.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I just assumed the loot dropped from the last enemy on the map as well. So it didn't actually show up since the mission was over.

It still appears when that happens.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

That would have had an audio cue as well well as being visible.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Ruined by the reddit reply there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Ruined by the reddit reply there.
"When I was working at the gene therapy clinic, they always made us eat lunch outside. I never understood why, until now." - Tygan

This isn't hard.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah, I was considering editing that in, but :effort:

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.
So, I've known about XCOM for a long time, but never really gotten around to actually playing any of the games myself. Would you suggest starting with this game, or another?

Edit: thanks for the response, I'll look into all of that!

thefailtrain fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 21, 2017

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Either of the new Firaxis X-Com's are fine entry points. Both are the same core style and you don't need to have played one to understand the other. I'd say pick one or the other up and give it a try.

If you're more experimental or want a more classical touch of X-Com you can get Goon made Open X-com made by SupSuper (praise be unto him). Or you can purchase Xenonauts, a small dev team attempt at reconstructing the feel of the original Xcom. It's more like the original, with more stats, Time Units instead of the two action system of Firaxis, no class system just what you equip people with differently to distinguish them, and the slower more original style of combat.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I've put a few dozen hours in Enemy Within, and XCOM 2, and Xenonauts each, and I can say that yeah, they're all on similar "levels of fun". Because of how ancient the fundamental design is, it's true that Xenonauts can be a bit more thick and harder to get into, but it did not feel frustrating at any point. And it should be made clear: it's a very different game from modern XCOM. Theme is obviously very similar but tactics absolutely don't feel the same.
Of the two modern games I'd say XCOM 2 is more newbie-friendly, but it's not a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The changes to the base are the single biggest thing that make XCOM 2 more newbie friendly, in my point of view. Heck, there are times when I actively look forward to scanning the geoscape so I can progress things or get this objective finished or unlock that cache, more than I'm looking forward to the next fight.

That said, I'd still start with Enemy Within, because original MECs and gene mods are too fun.

• Locked thread