Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Nut to Butt posted:

anyone know if there's a way to disable or shorten the auto-slowdown for combat?

AC Smart Speed

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So should I build a wall of doors around it or something? What am I supposed to do when I have one ramshackle wooden building that comprises of a single un-heated or cooled room?

Cut the grass around your very flammable hut to form a firebreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Your poeple won't die sleeping outside a couple nights. Non-combustible construction or bust.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The game will make it start raining once enough tiles are on fire.

Protect your local area, let the rest of the map burn out. A simple firebreak, just cutting the grass 3 tiles wide, will help tremendously. The grass and trees will regrow into the burn out areas in the next couple of months.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I like using the stone ruins, with the holes patched with wood, until I can dig out the first tunnels of my vault when I start a new map.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If playing on a mountainous map a strong miner is a must for me with my starting guys. If playing on a flatter map I like a strong (10 skill or higher) crafter to crank out stone blocks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Huh, that's really interesting. And effective.

Wasn't there a way to get the bugs to collapse if you got the room hot enough, letting you farm the jelly and whatnot?

Yes, but it's fiddly and micromanagement-intensive. If you heat them too hard the bugs die and then the hives die. Even if you get the heat just right then you have to be very careful when you run in to steal jelly, since freshly-spawned bugs won't be passed out from heat exhaustion yet. You also need to micro down hives that spawn from the existing hives or your jelly farm will get out of hand. A fun vanity project for a stable colony, but there's really no actual advantage to doing it - bug jelly's not worth that much hassle.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zhentar posted:

AC Smart Speed

holy poo poo, i've been using this mod since it came out and i never knew that was one of the options. thank you!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really wish you could make preset mod load orders, apparently the active mods selection is saved outside of the game directory, so my idea of having a second copy of Rimworld with just the mars related mods didn't work :smith:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
There's a mod for that, but also you can do that without a mod or copying RimWorld. Read the readme in the main RimWorld folder, there's a command line switch you can use to tell it to use a different folder for saves & config

edit: Mod List Backup. It's got some nice features aside from multiple mod orders, too.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Is there any mod that would give me a "sell all dead peoples clothes" button with traders. Trying to sell off 300+ items is a ball ache.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Sonderval posted:

Is there any mod that would give me a "sell all dead peoples clothes" button with traders. Trying to sell off 300+ items is a ball ache.

Their value should be really low. Auto-burning them is easier.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Quickly, let's strip the dying men! Their clothes have more value this way! Eh, I've got enough stuff on my plate right now with the wounded and the loot, I'll let them bleed to death on my doorstep... :effort:

This game rewards monstrous behavior.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats a ton of loving effort and resources early on. I dont care about mad animals, I care that early on the Boomawhatevers cause fires that are impossible for three people to put out. Maybe I've been unlucky and I am over-reacting here but its really annoying and to be honest, really loving dumb.

Its been the cause of game-enders for me as a beginning player more than any other reason combined.
you really never got a full answer to this and i was probated for being rude in c-spam this afternoon so i'm gonna catch up on this real quick

Azhais posted:

Day 1 boomalopes would be an issue, but just build small walls between hills to cut off your starting area, then murder all the animals inside the perimeter. Voilà, no mad animal issues til you want to expand.
with all the other crap you need to do on days 1-3 this is an absurd expectation to have. you are busy getting food and shelter operational and you need to do that poo poo early because you only have, what, like 5-6 days of food when you crash?

Azhais posted:

e: also, my final solution to the boom* problem is to draft the whole colony and go on murder sprees every time it rains
also absurd. again, every hour in the first 5 days is a very valuable hour where critical work establishing routines needs to be done.

Zhentar posted:

Cut the grass around your very flammable hut to form a firebreak.
after an animal has gone mad? there is no way there is enough time to form a proper firebreak without knowing potential directions, not to mention any crops, stockpiles, etc that will probably need to be defended.

Slung Blade posted:

I like using the stone ruins, with the holes patched with wood, until I can dig out the first tunnels of my vault when I start a new map.
this is great for spending as little time on temporary housing as you can but be aware that most stone ruins have enough holes to patch that it is still deadly when it catches fire because it'll turn the interior into a blast furnace.

Baronjutter posted:

Your poeple won't die sleeping outside a couple nights. Non-combustible construction or bust.
an early mood malus is extremely hazardous because an early sad wander will set you back very severely. god help you if you do this and you have someone who is nervous, neurotic, pessimistic, etc. the reality of the situation is that your first structure or two is going to need to be wood.

Azhais posted:

Are you trying to micromanage the fire fighting? I've never had an issue with colonists putting out fires as long as I just highlight the whole area as home area and don't mess with them while they do it. Every time I've ever told someone to fight a fire directly they end up burning

cugel posted:

A fire will also summon rain, it's magic. (I'm almost certain it works that way.)

these things however are part of the solution.

what you ACTUALLY do is draft all of your initial colonists and hole up far away from your actual base. a good 50-100 should do it. let the boomalope find you (trust me, he will) and kill him away from things that are important. if none of your colonists are hurt/uncontrollable from the fire, draw home area over the scorches and let your colonists handle it. they'll be able to. if you have some panicking guys and the fire starts to get out of hand, just walk the gently caress away. after the fire gets big enough, it will rain. if it turns out you didn't get far enough away, you can THEN use cut plants to create a firebreak around the things that you know are gonna get hit.

early boomer animals are a pain but if you handle them away from your most important stuff it's perfectly manageable.

also:

Dejawesp posted:

Mediums are for the audience and not the artist.
you have clearly never created anything in your life.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Coolguye posted:

you have clearly never created anything in your life.

I am sort of reminded of minecraft modding where modders started adding malicious software that broke their mods if they were used together with other mods because the combination violated how the created had intended the user to enjoy the game.

Maybe there's a middle ground.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of my biggest creative regrets is not open sourcing all of my stuff because I don't have the files any more and I can't do it now. Creative control is a silly idea in software tbh.

I think literally the only reason I didn't do it was because I didn't want people to make derivative versions during testing which would complicate bug reports because I hate doing bug reports as is. Then I forgot.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Aren't we already at the middle ground? If you want something that's not in the game you can just mod it in. The timescale stuff might be tricky but there's probably a way.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
So I have my psychopath base safely chugging along when I notice that my crop output has dropped to a significant degree and also all the fields I have look... odd. Hrm, somehow all my tilled soil turned to sand! Not sure if that's something with that mod or if it's an event but I'm also in the middle of volcanic winter so this is going to be interesting to fix.

Here's hoping the beavers that just showed up will feed everyone in the meantime. (Or I get a raid...)

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I just checked the comments on the workshop. It's a known bug.

quote:

Bug: tilled soil turned to sand
The def name was changed, which broke current saves. It should be fixed now. If anyone has saved or you are playing permadeath mode you can enable devmode in the menu and Set Terrain to tilled soil.

You can enable devmode, even while playing. Then using the buttons on the top of the screen you can find a menu of dev tools. Use the search box to find Set terrain and in that menu click tilled soil (either one). Your mouse now manually places tilled soil anywhere you click, on any terrain.

If it is also critical to your colonies survival you can search for the tool; "try place direct thing" and place the plants on the renewed soil.

If it is a normal game perhaps an autosave could work if it is not too critical.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
One nice trick if you're worried about early-game fires is you can tear up the floors in the stone ruins and you'll get enough stone blocks to patch up any holes in the walls. You can replace the floors with wood if you really want a floor - wood floors are immune to fire just like all floors.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Mzbundifund posted:

You'd be giving up a lot though. The fact that winter is a relatively long event that on most maps you have to stock up for is an important part of gameplay. Simulating each colonists' daily routine down to who they talk to and when is a basic part of the gameplay. Trying to stretch the timescale would mean abstracting a lot of that stuff, which would just be a different sort of game. I'm ok with the shorter more personal timescale.

I'm not sure why the timescale of having the pawns give birth and raise kids to adulthood has to conflict with the whole running of the seasons. This isn't Earth, it's a "rimworld." Maybe a rimworld year lasts 16 Earth years. Pop out a baby, get through a "rimworld" year, bam its an adult and ready to send into the meat grinder.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I'm not sure why the timescale of having the pawns give birth and raise kids to adulthood has to conflict with the whole running of the seasons. This isn't Earth, it's a "rimworld." Maybe a rimworld year lasts 16 Earth years. Pop out a baby, get through a "rimworld" year, bam its an adult and ready to send into the meat grinder.

literally every creature in the game would have to have its maturity time scales revised to fit in with this hot take

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm not sure why this thing I don't understand is so difficult?? Just do all the work

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I just had an enormous mad Boomalope horde land on my base. Thankfully I'm pretty well set for mortars and turrets so the first mortar caused a chain reaction that just wrecked the whole horde with a few limping survivors easily taken care of by my turrets. The hardest bit was taking care of the downed ones safely rather than waiting for them to explode at an inopportune moment since most of my colonists use miniguns scavenged from centipedes. Great against groups, single downed animals not so much.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Coolguye posted:

literally every creature in the game would have to have its maturity time scales revised to fit in with this hot take

Let's not pretend colony sims with abstracted timescales are an unsolvable problem and not something that has been done repeatedly even by other indie studios.

I shudder to imagine the chickenocalypse that would ensue from converting Rimworld to a 1 season = 1 year timescale though.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Hey guys I've figured out what Dejawesp's ideal colonists look like

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

:stare: :love:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm honestly surprised there isn't a mod where you can stroggify your colonists.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Voyager I posted:

Let's not pretend colony sims with abstracted timescales are an unsolvable problem and not something that has been done repeatedly even by other indie studios.

I shudder to imagine the chickenocalypse that would ensue from converting Rimworld to a 1 season = 1 year timescale though.

It's not an unsolvable problem so much as an unnecessary and extremely lengthy one that runs counter to the game's scope and design. Everything is based on a day-by-day clock, on which the current compressed timescale already makes it difficult for your colonists to accomplish everything they need to get done in one day. In order to speed it up even further, you would need to do away with days entirely and change how everything about the actual building of the colony works, from construction to crafting to the roles of individual colonists in accomplishing those tasks, from the ground up basically. Not only would this be basically turning RimWorld into an entirely different game, it would take a lot of focus off of each one of your colonists and their stories, which Tynan has stated is one of the key concepts in his vision for the game. Combat would also be nightmarish to try and reimagine in a time scale that compressed, and basically these problems could only really be solved by haphazardly cutting swathes of features, creating entirely new subsystems on par with the world map and caravans, or throwing any semblance of consistency between systems out the window. On top of that, being able to go through the years so much more quickly would mean that you'd need new end-game content that simply does not exist at present and is the whole reason why people get bored with the game after their colony is strong and self-sufficient.

Of course, you could just slap a "year" label over the current season counter and knock off for lunch, but that would come with its own host of issues, like the fact that your colonists' already tenuous usefulness would be fourfold less relevant, everything would take four times as long to complete, melee charges on your sandbags would occur over the span of weeks, and as previously mentioned your colonists would get out of bed, eat breakfast, and then go back to sleep as the sun sets. The same problems arise with the wistful longing for colonies to run independently of each other and pause when not in use. The issue is that they are on the same planet, and therefore they absolutely must be consistent with each other for them to exist in the same space. The only way something like that would be remotely viable is if colonies were completely incapable of interacting with each other when you were running one, and when you stopped playing one colony you had to catch up on the time of the other colon(ies), because otherwise the game has no way of determining what happened in that time while your other colonies were frozen. That time passed, and unless you want your colonists to still be working on the same devilstrand jacket when you return from another colony, something had to have happened while you were gone. The easiest and most sensible way to do this is to run them both at the same time, which is what Tynan has done, and considering you can always pause the game for as long as you like I really don't see what the complaining is about. Of course, if you do just want to throw the whole map in cryptosleep for a couple years while you go play another colony... why don't you just run a different one in another save? That fits all of the specifications for this colony-pausing feature except for them being on the same rimworld. In fact, the Phi Colony Interactions mod is basically that; two+ maps running totally independent of each other that can ship each other resources.

In short, whatever game you really want RimWorld to be here, it is not that game. I strongly encourage you to go play that game instead.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Most maps barely have seasons anyway. Just make each season a week long. Problem solved.

Beasts & Bumpkins had seasons that were a day long and that worked out fine.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What cup said.

Personally I don't see the attraction of longer lasting games - once your colony is self sustaining to the point where it doesn't need your input then to my mind that is the definition of 'the end'. That point can differ from game to game (Tropico, Banished, cities skylines etc) but it's how you measure success.

In Rimworld the measure of success is getting your crash victims back into space off a hostile planet that's trying g to kill them. That's the story that the game is telling. It's not a bad thing that the game design trends towards telling that story and not a different story.

It's a bit like complaining that This War of Mine doesn't let you load up on kevlar and assault rifles.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

No no no. You win the game by wiping out all the other factions on the planet and taking it for yourself.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dejawesp posted:

No no no. You win the game by wiping out all the other factions on the planet and taking it for yourself.

You can't wipe out the bugs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:love: Thank you.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Alchenar posted:

You can't wipe out the bugs.

You can flatten every map, Surround them with walls. Fill them with beds and light them on fire. With every map having av average temperature of 3000 degrees celc there will no longer be bugs.

When are we getting nuclear weapons in this game?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Dejawesp posted:

You can flatten every map, Surround them with walls. Fill them with beds and light them on fire. With every map having av average temperature of 3000 degrees celc there will no longer be bugs.

When are we getting nuclear weapons in this game?

I want drop pods loaded with explosives for guided missile support of your raiding teams.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Slung Blade posted:

I want drop pods loaded with explosives for guided missile support of your raiding teams.

How hard would that be to mod? Have the game generate something like a 100x100 fiery explosion where the pods land and then make the map permanent toxic regardless of outside or inside.

There's our nukes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Carcer posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a mod where you can stroggify your colonists weld guns to the arms of your colonists.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

You repeat yourself :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Voyager I posted:

your second sentence there is basically what i was attempting to point out. it is just one of the many, many problems that arise. with what is already in the game, making such a fundamental design change is going to have very far-reaching changes and not many of them will be good. dogs would also end up being in essence nerfed because they start having age problems at 10-ish years old...so 3 years in, the dogs that you spent so much time training are going to start dying off from things you can't do anything about. things like wool and milk production rates would also need to be changed for things to make sense, as would degradation rates. work values would also have to change so you don't, in essence, spend literal months creating a single duster or hat.

longer range simulations like (using alchenar's examples, tropico and banished) don't bother simulating these things precisely because when you're simulating at that scale these minutiae don't make any sense and break down. but those sorts of minutiae are part of the soul of the game. how do you resolve that?

wiz said it best in the stellaris thread recently when he said that players are really good at identifying problems or things that they would like, but incredibly bad at providing good solutions and pathways to solving or implementing these things. multiplying a time scale to make human reproduction work in this context is just another example of exactly how head-in-hands bad they are.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What with being able to attack other colonies I really want a Strogg Mod now. Raiders/captives go into a room one end, obedient, brutally dissected and reconstructed soldiers come out the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so I'm having another simple problem and cant find anything about it on the wiki: My colonists are not eating at the table I had them build and are then obviously suffering th happiness penalty for not eating at a table. Most recently they woke up and each ate a meal in their little bedrooms before even leaving the room. Is it my setup? Should their bedrooms be closer to the dining room?
https://www.screencast.com/t/BoJ2HMy8