Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Also, awww no Frederick Steiner. I thought he was leading from the front!

Perhaps the front we're playing is a secondary maneuver and he's in the main push?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Perhaps the front we're playing is a secondary maneuver and he's in the main push?

That's what makes it (mildly) disappointing. We're not the tip of the spear, we're just some shitters off near the edge. Boo!

Still liking the mechs that were previewed, so it should be an interesting fight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This mission is more important than anything Frederick Steiner is doing or you wouldn't be seeing it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"The Clans dug too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness..."

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

CourValant posted:

Because, we're fighting in an open pit mine?

I'm interpreting this as a bucket wheel excavator:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-wheel_excavator

And, we're excited about this because?

Because giant machines are cool.

I hope the brave office chair was somehow recycled into part of the Bagger.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PhotoKirk posted:

Because giant machines are cool.

I hope the brave office chair was somehow recycled into part of the Bagger.

Recycled? No. Promoted to driver's seat command chair? Yes!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

CourValant posted:

I'm interpreting this as a bucket wheel excavator:

And, we're excited about this because?

If you really want the answer to this question you should go play (or watch, if you can't play) the Nier: Automata demo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

"The Clans dug too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness..."

Saeder-Krupp Interstellar.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Edit: Nevermind, joke's been made

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

From the looks of it this was a multi-pronged offensive probably hitting a bunch of worlds at once, so Fred Stein was always going to have to delegate rather than be leading everywhere. I think based on the mission map there might be three main invasion avenues.

There's a lot I don't know about going on the offensive against the Clans, considering we don't see it too often. How do they deal with the Clans' space advantage, for example? Won't these big invasion fleets present big, vulnerable targets? And with dozens of worlds to reconquer, will they be fanning out and fighting small-unit actions on each one, or will it mostly be about big invasions of chokepoint/stronghold worlds and the surrounding systems will fold or be easy to mop up afterward?

Also, how do the Clans handle being on the defensive? We usually see them from the perspective of an overwhelming invasion toying with the defenders and making weird bids and challenges they don't understand, when it's a small Clan force getting rolled on by the tip of a major invasion do they still try to do batchalls and stand around in the open then get completely swamped? The second-line defensive guys are usually old-timers and dropouts less into the whole honorable warrior thing, right?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Dolash posted:

From the looks of it this was a multi-pronged offensive probably hitting a bunch of worlds at once, so Fred Stein was always going to have to delegate rather than be leading everywhere. I think based on the mission map there might be three main invasion avenues.

There's a lot I don't know about going on the offensive against the Clans, considering we don't see it too often. How do they deal with the Clans' space advantage, for example? Won't these big invasion fleets present big, vulnerable targets? And with dozens of worlds to reconquer, will they be fanning out and fighting small-unit actions on each one, or will it mostly be about big invasions of chokepoint/stronghold worlds and the surrounding systems will fold or be easy to mop up afterward?

Also, how do the Clans handle being on the defensive? We usually see them from the perspective of an overwhelming invasion toying with the defenders and making weird bids and challenges they don't understand, when it's a small Clan force getting rolled on by the tip of a major invasion do they still try to do batchalls and stand around in the open then get completely swamped? The second-line defensive guys are usually old-timers and dropouts less into the whole honorable warrior thing, right?

The attackers are the ones who announce the Batchall in Clan Society, so unless the Steiner force plays by Clan rules and issues one, the Clanners will just assume that the kid gloves are off and come out swinging. Plus the Clanners are under no obligation to accept a Batchall from the Inner Sphere, on account of them being filthy, backstabbing barbarians who can't be trusted.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dolash posted:

. . . do they still try to do batchalls and stand around in the open then get completely swamped? The second-line defensive guys are usually old-timers and dropouts less into the whole honorable warrior thing, right?

If they follow the old ways, maybe?

However, between their integration with Skye, forming the new 'SDLF / Star League', and whatever else mutations the 'serpent alliance' has allowed themselves, who knows?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

If they follow the old ways, maybe?

However, between their integration with Skye, forming the new 'SDLF / Star League', and whatever else mutations the 'serpent alliance' has allowed themselves, who knows?

The question of "what will the Clanner do?" any time after 3050 is always a combination of what Clan we're talking about, what unit is involved, and who they're fighting. We're not in the early invasion phase of the Clans anymore, so they've kind of made up their minds on who is a worthy opponent and who is not. For instance, in the main timeline the Clanners looked down on the Capellans in the Great Refusal for deliberately avoiding any opportunity to fight them. Meanwhile you saw a lot of units that they considered to be worthwhile opponents because they fought them all the time, like the Arcturan Guard.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Saeder-Krupp Interstellar.

Lofwyr would be a cool name for an assault mech, or like a really cool drop ship.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

Lofwyr would be a cool name for an assault mech, or like a really cool drop ship.

I could see it being a sister design to the Fafnir.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What I'm getting from all this is that the next mission will be a Shadowrun session.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote Results
Plan Katrina wins with 42 votes!
RWA Listening Post 84 is obliterated by 32 votes!
Misery’s Company Lupin XVII pulls the wool over 12 voters’ eyes!
Liberators of Oriente one of the FWLM’s premier regiments goes silent with 8 votes!
Tamarind Exchange might just take a world with 6 votes!
Operation: Brass Bull drew little attention to the Taurian cause with 4 votes!

“There’s been a change in plans.”

Hauptmann Jacob Van Tonder raised an inquisitive hand, drawing Colonel Roaker’s attention. The severe woman stared in silence for a long moment before sighing, “Yes, Hauptmann. What?”

Jacob stood, and snapped a smart salute. “Does this have anything to do with the mystery DropShip—”

“Sit down, Hauptmann,” the Colonel glared. A snigger rose from the assembled officers corps. of the 37th Lyran Regulars. Roaker rubbed her brow with a gloved hand and demanded, “Let me finish before you start asking questions. I’m going to answer that anyway.”

Jacob sat and fell silent and sank back into his chair. The inexperienced officer had been near the bottom of the barrel at the Nagelring, but his family had been able to afford the bribes for a Hauptmann position, so unless he fouled up royally Jacob would remain one of the 37th’s Company commanders. The Colonel rested her riding crop atop her lectern and rapped it once to put an end to the laughter at Jacob’s expense.

“Our target is no longer Great X, the Lyran Guards will be taking it—and its vital recharge station—instead. We’ve been presented with a new target selected by the LIC: Yaguas.”

Jacob raised his hand again. Colonel Roaker ignored it and continued, “Yaguas is deeper behind the Clan lines and we have reason to believe it’s only lightly defended. The LIC has determined that a single regiment should be enough to seize the world, and we’re it. Our goal isn’t long-term conquest, although if we manage to seize the world entirely all the better for the Commonwealth. While First, Second, and the bulk of Third Battalion engages Clan forces directly, Hauptmann Van Tonder’s short company will be sent to secure a small Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility in the southern portion of the planet’s largest continent. That facility has information the LIC is desperate to recover, so I’ll be turning over the floor to our esteemed SKI representative to explain the real importance of our mission.”

The Colonel stepped back, turning over the lectern to a woman dressed entirely in green. A murmur rose briefly before the crack of the Colonel’s crop brought the assembled company commanders to silence again. Jacob stared, his attention utterly captivated by the new arrival. Her face was hidden behind the opaque mask of a Star League-era Neurohelmet, but the eighteen year old academy graduate didn’t need to see her face to know she must have been beautiful. A vibrant green cooling suit clung to her figure, and she towered over the speaking podium in a way the Colonel hadn’t. She must’ve been nearly two meters tall, but rather than the slender lankiness he’d come to expect from women hailing from Tharkad, the Saeder-Krupp representative had curves as far as the eye could see. And as far as Jacob could tell, most of those curves were solid muscle.

He let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding as she started to speak. A voice changer in her helmet warped tones he suspected must have been silky smooth into an electronic snarl. “Thank you, Colonel. You may call me “Morgaine,” or by my battlefield callsign: “Green Knight.” I am here to represent Saeder-Krupp’s interests on Yaguas. My mission does not concern you, but to facilitate my mission I have been empowered to offer the LCAF something it desperately needs: information.”

Jacob’s hand shot up again. The Colonel leaned forward, her mouth opened in warning, but it was too late. The Green Knight’s helmet swung Jacob’s way and he felt his heart skip a beat as she acknowledged him. “Yes, Hauptmann?”

“What is your official job title with SKI?” Jacob stammered.

Her helmet uttered a single blast of electronic noise Jacob thought must’ve been a laugh. “Troubleshooter,” she said simply. “So don’t make yourself trouble, Hauptmann.”

“As the Colonel mentioned,” she pressed, “Saeder-Krupp Interstellar has a small facility on Yaguas. This is public knowledge. What is not public knowledge is that this facility also boasts a planetary ComStar HPG uplink station. Saeder-Krupp knows this facility is still active and remains in ComStar’s hands—and has been actively intercepting messages sent by the Clans since the world fell into their hands. We know this, because Saeder-Krupp has been staging occasional probing missions to Yaguas to check on the status of the personnel trapped there and have been feeding data back to ComStar in anticipation of the Commonwealth’s counterattack.”

“What do you think the odds are that one of the SKI CEO’s heirs is that facility’s manager?” someone behind Jacob murmured to a neighbor.

Whoever she was speaking to laughed, and answered with a question of his own. “Dunno—can I guess a number over one-hundred percent?”

“Saeder-Krupp has successfully negotiated with ComStar to offer all of the information collected by this substation to the LCAF in exchange for your assistance extracting SKI personnel,” the Green Knight continued, oblivious. “We have provided our own DropShip for this task, and I will personally see to the data retrieval during the extraction.”

The second voice snorted, “Better make that two-hundred percent.”

“The importance of what we offer cannot be overstated: the Clans are very careless with their HPG broadcasts. With this facility’s capture, the LCAF will have full access to Clan troop strengths, positions, and likely reinforcements. You’ll know how good they are, whether or not they’ve gotten fresh replacement troops, or whether they’re running short of ammunition. Hell, with our help you’ll be able to tell the invaders what had for breakfast this morning and all Saeder-Krupp asks is that the LCAF defend our extraction DropShip for the duration. Your high command has already agreed.”

The Green Knight paused, then appended. “I look forward to working with you.”

37th Lyran Regulars
Earthshaker Lance

Reaper Lance

Allied Units

House Rule: Minimum Range – Rather than scaling based on distance, the minimum range penalty is fixed at +2
Buildings – Unless otherwise noted, all buildings are Light CF and level 2

Primary Objectives
- Recover intercepted Clan HPG transmission data from the Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility (0/1)
- Extract Saeder-Krupp Interstellar personnel (0/10 turns)

Secondary Objectives
- Protect the Green Knight (0/1)
- Extract if Necessary (0/8)

Expected Resistance
- Elements of Clan Cloud Cobra’s Delta Galaxy

Pilot List
Neopie
pun pundit
Sparq
Volmarias
koolkevz666
Remmon
habituallyred
tokenbrownguy

Alternates
Xarn
mekilljoydammit
chutche2
Moleboy

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

drat, if they really get what they're promised this is the kind of thing that turns an entire war.

Good luck, Goonlance!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aww, all we get from the RWA Listening Post vote is that it got obliterated. And that was a given from the mission. I hope we find out more about what happened there at some point. :saddowns:

As for this mission, eh. At least some of the Hawks are back.

[EDIT]Including Noretti. BOOO!
[EDIT2] She even dinged up a leg already. :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Waitwaitwait. Hawk Lance?! You'd have thought they were still on retainer and/or had time to patch up their wounds.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Methinks PTN botched a copypaste somewhere along the line.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Is hawk lance a typo? the pilot list has 9 people listed which is enough for the player force minus hawk lance. Also, woundn't it have taken them months to cross the inner sphere?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Technically it's in the players' favour that the screamer and king atlas are on the field.

fake edit: oh drat he got to it already.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I was hoping it was the opposing force...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe they were on their way to help that listening post. The one that was trying to get a message out that they needed help in the first place. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yyyyyyyyyyup, that's quite the objective to snap up! Fight well, Goonlance.

e: Wait, the 37th Lyran Regulars? Fred's really been expanding the LCAF if he's rebuilding obscure units that got waxed in the First Succession War like that one.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 16, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Aww, G'bye Hawk lance.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Keep an eye on the primary objectives.

Extraction is secondary.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you kill everything, you don't need to extract.

raverrn posted:

Aww, G'bye Hawk lance.

Yeah, that was an error.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm a little disappointed I missed the slip-up!

Don't let Morgaine bite it or you'll probably be up to your neck in ACEs. Good luck, Goonlance.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

That's one under gunned Zeus compared to the other Assaults.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's only down on firepower compared to the crazy Thunder Hawk, but it brings nicely needed critseeking to go with all the Gauss rifles.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gwaihir posted:

It's only down on firepower compared to the crazy Thunder Hawk, but it brings nicely needed critseeking to go with all the Gauss rifles.

Yep, you're gonna need all those LRMs if you want to throw a zillion Gauss slugs.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
It looks like anything doing 8 or more damage can headcap Morgaine, so yah. Keep the bad dudes away from her.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

And then a giant Dragon comes along and wrecks the entire team, great.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

vorebane posted:

It looks like anything doing 8 or more damage can headcap Morgaine, so yah. Keep the bad dudes away from her.

Yeah, but the Green Knight's whole thing - mythologically speaking, I have no familiarity with the Battletech character - is getting their head lopped off and still being just fine.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

evilmiera posted:

And then a giant Dragon comes along and wrecks the entire team, great.

WRONG.

The Dragon is a shitbox

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, but the Green Knight's whole thing - mythologically speaking, I have no familiarity with the Battletech character - is getting their head lopped off and still being just fine.

So, she'll show up again a year and a day later in the middle of a Clan Banquet and make some clanner poo poo their pants?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Saeder Krupp is probably defended by false flag Steiner pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Positive Quirk: Hidden Torso Cockpit :v:

• Locked thread