Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Orange Harrison posted:

At which Super Bowl did Spongebob play?

The Bubble Bowl, according to my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8u403Tt_Mk

Possible DLC from this trailer

"Ain't It Fun" Paramore
"Gold on the Cieling" Black Keys

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I'll insta-buy any Paramore DLC. They are one of my biggest guilty pleasures.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I am baffled by that video. It seems like... just... wild mashing to a vague rhythm then there's some implementation of the freestyle solo system from RB4?

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
That is a garbage trailer that shows nothing. I don't understand the thinking behind it. It doesn't get me interested at all.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah, the only reason I'm even vaguely interested in RBVR is because the email they sent announcing that pre-orders were available contained this line

quote:

Classic Mode: Demonstrate your technical prowess on the game’s Classic Mode, featuring the Rock Band note highway and scoring that you all know and love.

So it sounds like you can do regular rock band guitar anyways? Because outside of that, the trailer just made it look like "Rock Band but the camera is your character's face and you do endless freestyle solos over every song" which sounds terrible.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I was about to ask where the gently caress the note highway was but yeah, this trailer looks great but has zero actual normal gameplay. :geno:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Apparently, the game has a "BE A ROCKSTAR!!!!1" freestyle mode and that was what the trailer showcased.

Gold On the Ceiling is my guilty pleasure Black Keys song as I hate most of their catalog.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/828981674843201537
Not exactly the Fashion Nugget song I would've chosen, but I suppose I'll take it. Maybe Simple Minds as well, if the chart looks fun.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Beelzebozo posted:

Not exactly the Fashion Nugget song I would've chosen, but I suppose I'll take it.

The bass part should be super fun at least.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
So I feel like a dumb retard baby regarding the e-kit I just bought and getting it to work with RB4. I can't get it to work at all and I have zero idea what I'm doing wrong. Here's what I have:

Alesis Nitro
Midi <> Midi cable
The MadCatz Midi Pro Adapter

I have my Nitro all hooked together, all the midi outputs configured per the adapter's specifications. I have a midi <> midi cable from midi out on my kit into the midi port on the adapter, and the adapter is plugged straight into the front of the ps4 via USB. The kit works just fine by itself, and my USB ports on my ps4 work just fine as evidenced my the mic working.

I cannot get RB4 to recognize the kit whatsoever. I feel like I'm missing a step, but what that step is I have no clue. Reddit said the PS button on the adapter only functions on the ps3 and not the ps4, and signing into an instrument should be as easy as hitting the Start or Select button. Hitting either of those buttons at the RB4 menu does nothing (as well as every other button, and I've slid the sensitivity wheel all the way up and down just trying everything I can think of). Signing in with my stock RB4 kit and then hitting pads on the e-kit also does nothing.

I reached out to MadCatz to see if maybe the adapter was faulty, but because it's a "PS3 Adapter' (and the Alesis Nitro DM-7X drum brain isn't on their "official list" even though the DM-5 is) they are of absolutely no use since it's not technically supported despite the hundreds (thousands?) of people playing on e-kits.

What the gently caress am I missing? I know there's tons of people playing on this very same kit, so either I got a dud or I'm stupid and missing something obvious. Help goons, you can call me as dumb as you like if it means I can get this to work

E: should my kit show up in devices somewhere? When I plug a microphone in I get the on-screen pop-up, but when plugging in the adapter itself nothing shows up immediately or in devices anywhere

E2: Here's a stupid question. So the PS button on the adapter doesn't work on the PS4, and as I understand it the adapter also only functions once you're inside Rock Band. How do those of you with e-kits turn the PS4 on and get into the game, then? Just a regular controller to turn on the console and sign into the game, then e-kit from there?

kumba fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 7, 2017

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I just hooked my Xbox 360 back up so that the kids can mess with the drum lessons and drum free-play on Rock Band 3. Now I wired it to my TV with HDMI, and straight from the Xbox to my amp with an optical cord to reduce delay. I just can't seem to find an option to switch audio from hdmi to optical. It only seems to go through the hdmi, which is producing brutal lag on its way from the xbox to the tv to the amp. I must have missed something on the Xbox 360 settings, right?

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
On the Xbox One there is an option to control which outputs are enabled and which are not. I have my Xbox One connected via optical cable so I just disabled HDMI audio altogether so I don't make the mistake of playing while on the HDMI audio. I think the same option is there on Xbox 360. When I was on the Xbox 360 I had audio coming out of both HDMI and optical, so I just used the optical and ignored the other audio. No problems.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bought Woot's "Rock Band 4 - Band in a Box Bundle" in Summer 2016 during their infamous "sell the European Union version to US Customers" snafu. It's been sitting in a box for 9 months, but I just received Rock Band Rivals + Guitar bundle as a gift.

I have... many questions.

1. Does RB Rivals contain the game? I never took the Bundle out of the box because I'd need to spend $60 on the RB4 software and I didn't want to.
2. My last RB title I played was Rock Band One, on the 360. I have RB Rivals for the Xbox One. Will it be easy for me to figure out how to re-download all the dozens of RB1 songs I bought for the 360?
3. Are there any common instrument issues I need to look out for? I remember RB1 had an issue with the guitar's red button not working, and the drum pedal snapping in half. Any poo poo like that?
4. I love a lot of the RB1 on-disc songs. Am I correct that it's impossible to get the RB1 disc songs on to RB4?
5. Can I still have 4 people in my living room playing manually selected songs together? That's all I ever did with RB1. I don't know what World Tours and poo poo are all about. Just want to drink too much and fight over the mic.
6. I've heard a lot of complaints about delay. I've got my Xbone connected to receiver via HDMI, and receiver connected to TV by HDMI. Should I swap the audio portion to optical or anything like that?
7. Seriously, only other exposure I had to the game was RB1. Are there any big features that were added to the series (that persisted to RB4!) that I should know about?

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 14, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I bought Woot's "Rock Band 4 - Band in a Box Bundle" in Summer 2016 during their infamous "sell the European Union version to US Customers" snafu. It's been sitting in a box for 9 months, but I just received Rock Band Rivals + Guitar bundle as a gift.

I have... many questions.

1. Does RB Rivals contain the game? I never took the Bundle out of the box because I'd need to spend $60 on the RB4 software and I didn't want to.
2. My last RB title I played was Rock Band One, on the 360. I have RB Rivals for the Xbox One. Will it be easy for me to figure out how to re-download all the dozens of RB1 songs I bought for the 360?
3. Are there any common instrument issues I need to look out for? I remember RB1 had an issue with the guitar's red button not working, and the drum pedal snapping in half. Any poo poo like that?
4. I love a lot of the RB1 on-disc songs. Am I correct that it's impossible to get the RB1 disc songs on to RB4?
5. Can I still have 4 people in my living room playing manually selected songs together? That's all I ever did with RB1. I don't know what World Tours and poo poo are all about. Just want to drink too much and fight over the mic.
6. I've heard a lot of complaints about delay. I've got my Xbone connected to receiver via HDMI, and receiver connected to TV by HDMI. Should I swap the audio portion to optical or anything like that?
7. Seriously, only other exposure I had to the game was RB1. Are there any big features that were added to the series (that persisted to RB4!) that I should know about?

1. Yes, I believe the physical copies are just Rock Band 4 with the expansion.

2. If you're using the same account that you bought the songs with you should be able to redownload them to RB4.

3. Not that I'm aware of, some early production instruments need to be patched but I think the newest run already are.

4. If you purchased the RB1 export to either RB2 or RB3 then they're already yours, if not then they're re-releasing old disc only songs so wait and pray the ones you like get released

5. Yes. It's up to 6 people now thanks to three part vocal harmonies.

6. Ask Orange Harrison, I believe he's tested the poo poo out of this exact issue and has updated the OP with his findings.

7. Yes, tons of features were added to the series! None of them are present in RB4, and with online play just being patched in last month we're back to parity between RB1 and RB4, gameplay wise at least.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

quote:

The Rock Band Rivals bundle does contain the base game as well as the Rivals expansion.

quote:

Downloading eligible DLC (currently barring delisted stuff) at this point is just a matter of going into the Rock Band 4 Game Hub via the Xbox One Dashboard, going to the Ready to Install tab and selecting Install All.

quote:

The main one I can recall is that the launch drum kits had issues detecting all hits past a certain speed threshold, but my understanding is that that's been ironed out via firmware patches and later iterations of the kit. Beyond that, I play on legacy instruments myself, so someone else might be better to field any other specifics.

quote:

As of right now, it's impossible to get the RB1 Export if you don't already own it; however, within the last couple of months, Harmonix has started gradually releasing RB1/2/Lego songs piecemeal as DLC, so you might be able to pick up a handful of old favourites as DLC.

quote:

Yep, traditional Quickplay is still an option.

quote:

Speaking as someone who only has HDMI, I was able to calibrate to a playable state, however my understanding is that optical is optimal assuming that's an option for you.

quote:

Vocal Harmonies and Pro Drums are the big ones (though equipment wise, they require extra mics and the drum cymbals respectively).

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/831518432621371397
It's only "rewind" releases this week. That said, LEGO is the one export I'm missing, and that's one of the half dozen or so tracks from it that I wanted. So it's new to me!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/831518432621371397
It's only "rewind" releases this week. That said, LEGO is the one export I'm missing, and that's one of the half dozen or so tracks from it that I wanted. So it's new to me!

Yesssssss I have a weird affection for Nine in the Afternoon, can't wait.

Moundgarden posted:

:words: about e-kits :words:

I finally figured this poo poo out, turns out I'm a dumb baby

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

What did you do wrong, so we don't make the same mistake?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kaboobi posted:

What did you do wrong, so we don't make the same mistake?

It's the signing in part that I was having trouble with. I still can't really figure out what the "proper" way to do it is, because my thought is it should be as easy as
1. Turn on PS4 with Dualshock controller, log in to profile and open Rock Band, and
2. Once game is open, sign in with drums.

In practice, though, this doesn't work. I'm not sure why. Here's what I ended up having to do:

1. Turn on PS4 with my stock kit, log in to profile and open Rock Band
2. Sign into Rock Band with my stock kit
3. Hit the Options button and Drop Out
4. Sign into Rock Band with e-kit by hitting the Start button (NOT the Select button, NOT the PS button)

There HAS to be something else I'm missing because this is stupid and convoluted. I was getting increasingly pissed I couldn't get this to work and noticed out of sheer luck that, while my wife was playing drums on the stock kit, I noticed that the red light on the adapter was on while she was playing. It was never on when I was trying to get it to work, and I think it's because it detected a signed in user (my profile) that wasn't currently playing. So I had her back out to the main screen and drop out, and *poof* like magic I could sign in.

Definitely not intuitive, but at least it works.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Trash Boat posted:

helpful stuff too

Thanks a lot for this, guys! It sounds like going straight from RB1 to RB4 puts me in a good spot to appreciate the game.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Thanks a lot for this, guys! It sounds like going straight from RB1 to RB4 puts me in a good spot to appreciate the game.

What's your Xbox gamertag? I'll toss an idler out of our Rivals crew and pull you in.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Beelzebozo posted:

What's your Xbox gamertag? I'll toss an idler out of our Rivals crew and pull you in.

Woo! GT is GoGoGadgetChris

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

7. Yes, tons of features were added to the series! None of them are present in RB4, and with online play just being patched in last month we're back to parity between RB1 and RB4, gameplay wise at least.

Breakneck speed
No fail mode
Yes fail but keep playing anyway mode
Playlists
A usable song selection screen with sorting, filters, ratings
Drop in/drop out
Designated stand-in characters
Pro drums and harmonies
DLC integrated into career modes
Solo access to career modes
Weekly challenges
Brutal mode, I guess
Unison bonus in solo play
Trill/tremolo/roll lanes
Play a show
Rewind after pause
Individual track speeds
Mid-song difficulty change
Talky vocals you can actually pass
Freestyle vocals
Auto calibration
Rest counters
Creepy full combo man
Individual scores in a band
Auto kick mode

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Which isn't to say we haven't lost some really substantial stuff like

Keyboard
Pro Guitar
RBN
Visions

But as much fun as it is to bag on RB4 we're still a long way from where the series started!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Speaking of missing features.

Does anyone ever have lyrics get garbled from time to time(blurry/unreadable) while singing? I was never able to pin down why it happened with Rock Band 3/360, but it still happens sometimes in Rock Band 4/Xbone.

Whenever it would happen too much in Rock Band 3 I could switch to static lyrics, which sucked, but at least allowed me to proceed on songs I didn't know. But that seems to no longer be an option on 4.

Anyone else ever encounter this and know how to fix it since I no longer have that workaround? I'm pretty sure I've previously tried making sure TV was in game mode, etc. But maybe I'm missing something obvious.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cool, Rivals came with a code for a free USB mic. Now I'll have two! Three if the Rock Band 1 mic is compatible.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
USB mics are the most universally compatible thing. Pretty sure a PS1 mic will work on XBone

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bought Franz Ferdinand on Rock Band 1 (X 360) and it's not showing up in my Rock Band 4 (XB1). What? I can go to the store and spend $1.99 on it, but it found every single other song.

Common issue?

EDIT: Poker Face too. Son of a bitch. No sign of them in my MS Account History either. Weird.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 15, 2017

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I bought Franz Ferdinand on Rock Band 1 (X 360) and it's not showing up in my Rock Band 4 (XB1). What? I can go to the store and spend $1.99 on it, but it found every single other song.

Common issue?

EDIT: Poker Face too. Son of a bitch. No sign of them in my MS Account History either. Weird.

Forget the in-game store. Drop back to the dashboard. Go to My Games & Apps (top right of first screen). Go to the Games tab, find RB4, press the hamburger button, choose Manage Game. Go to the Ready to Install tab. Wait a dick year. Press Install All.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Alternatively, is there any chance you might have bought them on another profile? There were a few songs that I found that I was missing myself near launch, only for me to realize that they were purchased on one of my brother's alternate accounts that I had forgotten about (and that'd also make sense if they're absent from your Microsoft purchase history).

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

quote:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

6. Ask Orange Harrison, I believe he's tested the poo poo out of this exact issue and has updated the OP with his findings.

Never ever ever ever ever play RB with the console plugged through a receiver. Even if you think it's not laggy you're just naturally compensating and then you'll play the game out of time for the rest of your life on other people's setups and accuse their setups of being laggy.
To minimize lag you have to plug the xbone directly into your tv with HDMI audio turned off, and carry the audio over an optical cable directly into whatever produces your sound, be it the TV or the receiver. Make sure on the Bone's audio settings that the optical output is set to "uncompressed PCM" and not any digital surround setting. Old RB games were able to override this when you started the game (That's why the HMX title card stuttered in RB3) but you have to do it manually on the bone. A receiver is preferred for sound because you never know if your flat-panel TV is holding back the sound so it plays in time with the picture, adding unfixable lag. Even with perfect hardware your lag numbers will still be 40-40 because the xbone is garbage.
Also, if your TV has a game mode, be sure to activate it while playing RB. It tells the TV to skip as much image post-processing as possible to reduce latency for games. In theory this would affect image quality, but only for, like, blu-rays and stuff, since current-gen game graphics aren't quite that intense yet. RB4 doesn't even run in 1080p anyway.

Question: What solutions have you guys found for talking to people while playing RB4 online? There doesn't seem to be a headset jack on the new Strats. Are RB players forced to buy a Kinect or Xbone wireless headset just to chat?

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 15, 2017

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I just bought an LG OLED55B6P now that they fixed the display lag issues (down to about 25ms even in HDR) and the prices plummeted, I will report back on the lag when I get it. My current TV is an 8 year old Sharp thing that always had a bit of lag and motion blur even in game mode, so I'm excited.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Orange Harrison posted:

Question: What solutions have you guys found for talking to people while playing RB4 online? There doesn't seem to be a headset jack on the new Strats. Are RB players forced to buy a Kinect or Xbone wireless headset just to chat?

I always play with a USB headset (with extension cable), which I recommend to people who don't want to turn their TV up really loud.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

King Burgundy posted:

Does anyone ever have lyrics get garbled from time to time(blurry/unreadable) while singing? I was never able to pin down why it happened with Rock Band 3/360, but it still happens sometimes in Rock Band 4/Xbone.

I don't think this has ever happened to me, but let me know if you find a way to make it happen consistently and I'll pass it along.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Orange Harrison posted:

Even with perfect hardware your lag numbers will still be 40-40 because the xbone is garbage.

Jesus you're right. I played this a bet yesterday and it is SO distracting how your own voice comes back through the speakers about 100ms late. So there's 3 things vying for your ears:

1. Song's vocals
2. Your real life vocals
3. Your vocals coming back through the speakers.

Yuck

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

yeah, due to the way the consoles process the sound I just turn the mic vocals down

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It's equally distracting when during a long intro on drums if I'm trying to keep the beat before the notes actually come, the sound from me physically hitting the drum pad is a good half second ahead of the in-game drum sound coming out of my TV. It's obnoxious as hell

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It is not easy to like RB4.