Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pulse Bomb's Scary <picture of tracer nendo>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kicking off Katanagatari #3 in just a few.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

a kitten posted:

That's the best part right there, so go ahead and stop.

Really? It's that bad?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
snail is a lovely translator, i'm calling him out right now

the proper translation is--wait, gently caress

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nitrousoxide posted:

This show is causing the most sympathetic embarrassment of any show I've ever watched.

It reminded me how long my bokken and Nerf Maverick have been collecting dust.

The scene where Yuta(?) is rolling on the floor wishing he could crawl in a hole speaks to me on too many levels.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

snail is a lovely translator, i'm calling him out right now

the proper translation is--wait, gently caress
it is a difficult sentence and I am an expert, in japanese

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also don't lie. The part where she skates around with wheelies later in the episode is much better.

Holy poo poo this is gonna be a hilarious cringefest of it keeps up like this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also don't lie. The part where she skates around with wheelies later in the episode is much better.

Holy poo poo this is gonna be a hilarious cringefest of it keeps up like this.

It gets better. Really becomes deeper around episode 7 or 8, when it starts working into the reason for her clinging to the chuni life.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chuunibyou s1 never really gets bad, s2 is where it just kind of sucks

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the first time i read berserk i somehow missed all the clues that guts saying things like "what do i care if people around me die! not my problem!" is actually him just putting on a front to try and blunt the horrible knowledge that hes destined to be dragged to hell and being around people will end in them getting killed by hosed up monsters

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

This show is causing the most sympathetic embarrassment of any show I've ever watched.

Trust me. Do not watch the second season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

It reminded me how long my bokken and Nerf Maverick have been collecting dust.

The scene where Yuta(?) is rolling on the floor wishing he could crawl in a hole speaks to me on too many levels.

was your bokken purchase motivated by shaman king

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the worst part of chuuni s2 is that its last chunk is bad in a way that is just wholly uninteresting to watch, after the first half at least having some pretty fun filler

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Really? It's that bad?

To be honest, i'm just messing with ya. I got a few chuckles out of the handful of episodes i watched but ended up dropping it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

dogsicle posted:

was your bokken purchase motivated by shaman king

No, I've just always wanted a wooden sword, and my parents never bought/made us any. :saddowns:

If only they had just bought me the motherfucking Sword of Omens when Thundercats was on the air... :sigh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Konnichiwa! How is everyone doing?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ayeka posted:

>water
>katangatari simul
>ff14

RME
Feb 20, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I don't think asanagi fully understands the the concept of "is a boy"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Stexils posted:

the first time i read berserk i somehow missed all the clues that guts saying things like "what do i care if people around me die! not my problem!" is actually him just putting on a front to try and blunt the horrible knowledge that hes destined to be dragged to hell and being around people will end in them getting killed by hosed up monsters
Honestly, me too. Because at that point, you have no idea of what's going on. And then it all blurs together into a smudge of pain and death.

Ayeka posted:

Good, drinking beer and revising my thesis proposal. A good Wednesday night. I can only hope to be done quickly enough to watch konosuba or maidragon.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
How are you?

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

. I can only hope to be done quickly enough to watch konosuba or maidragon.

What is that?

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

I'm good! Non anime but, have you seen Kurosawa's Yojimbo? Excellent!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yojimbo is pretty good. I should watch my copy of Seven Samurai again; Mifune owns.

Ayeka posted:

Slept funny Monday night, and this damned pain in my neck still hasn't gone away yet. :(

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Mister Macys posted:

Yojimbo is pretty good. I should watch my copy of Seven Samurai again; Mifune owns.

Slept funny Monday night, and this damned pain in my neck still hasn't gone away yet. :(

If you like Mifune and Kurosawa, I recommend his film High and Low. It is simply amazing. It's a detective drama, no samurais, but it owns bones.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ayeka posted:

If you like Mifune and Kurosawa, I recommend his film High and Low. It is simply amazing. It's a detective drama, no samurais, but it owns bones.

I keep forgetting Kurosawa did contemporary films too. I need to see them. Is there any streaming service that has vintage films, or am I stuck with Amazon/:filez:?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

:yeah:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

I keep forgetting Kurosawa did contemporary films too. I need to see them. Is there any streaming service that has vintage films, or am I stuck with Amazon/:filez:?

Kagemusha is still on netflix, and you can rent a bunch of his stuff on amazon for a couple bux.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Ayeka posted:

What is that?

Ayeka posted:

I'm good! Non anime but, have you seen Kurosawa's Yojimbo? Excellent!

Yojimbo is amazing, easily in my top 10 films.

Konosuba and maidragon are nothing like it at all. Konosuba is a fantasy comedy anime that I highly recommend (season 2 is airing now), and maidragon is also a currently running anime (that is much better than its source manga) about ... a lady and her gay dragon friend who adopt another dragon, essentially.

Some of the skeevy elements of the manga drip into the anime, but not too many (as of yet. The anime is being done by kyoani, and they have a reputation for quality.)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Now that Bleach is cancelled, who should replace the glorious six frames ye olde Leekspin?

My vote is Tohru.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

a kitten posted:

Kagemusha is still on netflix, and you can rent a bunch of his stuff on amazon for a couple bux.

Amazon streaming isn't an option I'm afraid, I'm in Canada.

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Mister Macys posted:

My friend, so Kurosawa would alternate between samurai epics and contemporary films. Many people consider the film he did right before Seven Samurai, "Ikiru", his magnum opus. In the US, the majority of his films are licenced thru the Criterion Collection. They used to be all on Hulu, but now are on a site called filmstruck; which has the whole criterion collection plus lots of TCM films. IMO Ikiru is on par with War & Peace so just go download that and watch his other films however you can.

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Ayeka posted:

My friend, so Kurosawa would alternate between samurai epics and contemporary films. Many people consider the film he did right before Seven Samurai, "Ikiru", his magnum opus. In the US, the majority of his films are licenced thru the Criterion Collection. They used to be all on Hulu, but now are on a site called filmstruck; which has the whole criterion collection plus lots of TCM films. IMO Ikiru is on par with War & Peace so just go download that and watch his other films however you can.

e: this place did a Kurosawa simulwatch, right?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If anybody here has not experienced John Wick and John Wick: Chapter 2 then you should fix that mistake immediately

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Stairmaster posted:

nisemonogotari is good

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Amazon streaming isn't an option I'm afraid, I'm in Canada.

:pirate:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Ayeka posted:

A friend of mine just watched ikiru, and his description got me wanting to watch it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's a reason why people still debate about Nisemono. It's worth it mostly cause Nisemono introduces plot stuff that has really good payoff in Monogatari s2

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

A friend of mine just watched ikiru, and his description got me wanting to watch it.

Imo it is one of the best films ever made, and to think that Kurosawa made Seven Samurai right after it puts him in the same league as Michelangelo and Dante

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I bought Ikiru during a Criterion sale but still haven't gotten around to watching it

• Locked thread